Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Digital Scumbag posted:

Could someone tell me the location of the You Know Me stranger mission, or whatever it is that doesn't count towards 100%? The weird one with the devil as the quest-giver.

Ride the main road from Armadillo to MacFarlane's ranch, you'll see the question mark pop up about the halfway point. I'm not exactly sure how far along you have to be in the main story to make it first appear though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

BlazeKinser posted:

Ride the main road from Armadillo to MacFarlane's ranch, you'll see the question mark pop up about the halfway point. I'm not exactly sure how far along you have to be in the main story to make it first appear though.
I got it one of the first times I rode out of Bonnie's ranch, it can't be more than 2 or 3 missions in, if it isn't there from the start.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell

ShowTime posted:

Would be nice of you to spoiler the end of that stranger mission. My bigger nitpick is what you would have preferred to be the conclusion to that story. Are you saying that collecting the flowers and giving them to a live guys wife, which is terribly kosher and boring, would have been more enjoyable then the guy giving them to a dead body that he lives with and still considers to be "alive", so much so that he believes she still makes him dinner and goes for evening walks with him?

Apparently, she also makes some mean rear end pie. I'd like a piece.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

That social site is really bugged, it tells me I haven't completed any stranger missions yet. Can't be that it hasn't updated those either since pretty much the third thing I did in the game was complete one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Meeble posted:

Yeah, there is one hidden in Mexico somewhere. Pretty awesome at that.

It's really easy to find, actually. If you can't find it:

Look southeast of Chuparosa, in Barranca.

I found a list of all the Stranger missions, which other missions you need finished to unlock them, and their start locations.

For your OP pleasure:

Starting Area:
"Flowers for a Lady" - complete "New Friends Old Problems"
Between Macfarlane's ranch & Thieves landing, just before Stillwater Creek.

"Let No Man put Asunder" - complete "Obstacles in Our Path"
Near Coot's Chapel, sitting on a wall near a ruined house.

"Jenny's Faith" - complete "This is Armadillo, USA"
East of Ridgewood farm, by the road next to a rock.

"California" - Complete "Women & Cattle"
Southeast of Gaptooth Breach, west of the finish line to the race.

"Water and Honesty" - complete "Political Realities in Armadillo"
On the ridge heading up to Hennigan's Stead.

"American Appetites" - complete "Political Realities in Armadillo"
Outside Sheriff's office in Armadillo

"Funny Man" - complete "Exhuming and Other Fine Hobbies"
Telegraph Office @ Benedict Point

"Who Are You to Judge?" - complete "Liars, Cheats and Other Fine Americans"
Rathskeller Fork stable

"Lights, Camera, Action!" - complete "The Sport of Kings and Liars"
Movie House in Armadillo, around the back.

"I Know You" - complete "A Tempest Looms"
South of Mescalero, along the cliff.

Mexico:
"Daedalus and Son" - complete "We Shall be Together in Paradise"
Ridge just east of Agave Viejo.

"Eva in Peril" - complete "Lucky in Love"
Behind the Cantina in Casa Madrugada.

"Poppycock" - complete "Civilization, At Any Price"
In Chuparosa, in the Town Hall where they post the Bounties.

"Love is the Opiate" - complete "Empty Promises" AND Stranger 13 "Poppycock"
Slaughterhouse in El Matadero.

"Aztec Gold" - complete "Must A Savior Die?"
Sidewinder Gulch, on the eastern end.

West Elizabeth:
"The Wronged Woman" - complete "An Appointed Time"
Inside the Church northwest of Blackwater.

"American Lobbyist" - complete "An Appointed Time"
Gazebo in Blackwater.

"The Prohibitionist" - complete "An Appointed Time" AND Stranger 17 "The Wronged Woman"
Blackwater saloon.

"Remember My Family" - complete "The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed"
Blackwater train Platform.

I haven't actually gotten all of them, I found that on Gamespot's forums and cleaned it up and made the locations a little more accurate for the ones I have done.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

FishBulb posted:

Best way to get EXP is just to grind Gang Hideouts or be really really good at PvP

I've seen at least 4 people with Zebra Donkeys already too.

Yup, but even when blasting through a hideout on the 360, on average you'll pull from 700-1200 which is a lot of replays if what i've read is true and level 50 requires 337110xp.

Also, those people with the zebra donkeys are probably using hacked saves. I came across a bunch of people today using one.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
I'd like to edit my multiplayer save to play system link. I used the save editor to make a cheat save, too.

However, I haven't found a multiplayer save editor.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have one Stranger mission left (Daedalus and Son). I only have to get some beaver pelts.

:argh:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

This whole game is full of crazy people. Every time I sit there listening to someone and thinking 'this person is stupid/crazy' I feel validated when John says things like 'well, I hope that goes well for you' or makes (more or less) subtle exasperated faces. Which is pretty much every time.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
A conversation in my house earlier today:

Mrs. Hobo: Are you done shooting horses in the back of the head yet?
Me: Yes I am done shooting horses in the back of the head.
Mrs. Hobo: Good, I'm gl-
Me: ...for now.

At the time I was standing atop a pile of about 12 dead horses. It should have been closer to 40, but the game starts deleting horse corpses after about a dozen accumulate in one spot. I found that when your horse is at a full gallop, you can shoot it in the back of the head and make it trip and tumble hilariously. Especially if done while going downhill. So I found a hill with a nice straight road and just kept doing it. In free-roam, you get a new horse within seconds of the last one dying... so they just sort of piled up.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Captain Charisma posted:

I have one Stranger mission left (Daedalus and Son). I only have to get some beaver pelts.

:argh:

Yeah, gently caress that mission. I feel like I'm playing World of Warcraft or some poo poo trying to collect all the crap he needs.

I've found one beaver so far, and I've probably got 30 hours put into this game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Just watched A Fistful of Dollars last night, and I assume there's a poncho you can get for John once you get to Mexico, right? :allears:

There's 2 actually. One you'll get once you buy a safehouse in mexico. The other doesn't become available until after you finish the Mexican missions.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Robot Hobo posted:

A conversation in my house earlier today:

Mrs. Hobo: Are you done shooting horses in the back of the head yet?
Me: Yes I am done shooting horses in the back of the head.
Mrs. Hobo: Good, I'm gl-
Me: ...for now.

At the time I was standing atop a pile of about 12 dead horses. It should have been closer to 40, but the game starts deleting horse corpses after about a dozen accumulate in one spot. I found that when your horse is at a full gallop, you can shoot it in the back of the head and make it trip and tumble hilariously. Especially if done while going downhill. So I found a hill with a nice straight road and just kept doing it. In free-roam, you get a new horse within seconds of the last one dying... so they just sort of piled up.

I discovered the ability to execute your own horse very early on, I had just started riding between towns when I went after this coyote that had been barking at me from the side of the road. I go over on horseback and try to shoot it with my repeater real quick, and as I lock on to it, it decides to run right in front of my horse. I fire without even thinking and put a bullet in the back of his head. :(

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
I need a simple yes or no answer for the end of game:

I just killed dutch and now I'm just doing random poo poo with my family like bringing corn to Bonnie (which I thought were actually dead but guess not). Is there more to the storyline than this?

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

hog wizard posted:

I need a simple yes or no answer for the end of game:

I just killed dutch and now I'm just doing random poo poo with my family like bringing corn to Bonnie (which I thought were actually dead but guess not). Is there more to the storyline than this?

yeah

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

teekun posted:

I've found one beaver so far, and I've probably got 30 hours put into this game.
Check out Aurora Basin or follow the river to the east of Cochinay.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet

VirtualReality posted:

yeah

thanks, mate.

Arclight
Jan 26, 2006

Emron posted:

The last survivalist challenge is going to be really loving irritating.
I'd suggest selling off all the herbs you have in your inventory before you go for it, that way you can keep a track of how many of each you have when you start the challenge. And it's only two of each, it's not like they're asking you for 10. :)

The random events in this game can be really freaky. I don't know if anyone's mentioned something like this before, but I just had a really weird experience in the middle of Tall Trees. I was sitting on my horse, just looking around for elk when I see this lady weeping over a dead body, presumably her husband/boyfriend. So I get down thinking maybe it's some sort of random mission. Nothing happens as I stand next to her, though. So I'm about to mount my horse again when she takes a gun from her side, puts it in her mouth and BLOWS HER BRAINS OUT all over the white snow. It happened so fast I wasn't sure if it was real, but drat, what the hell man.

and yes i did loot both their bodies afterwards

Arclight fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 31, 2010

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Solomirathnius posted:

I'd suggest selling off all the herbs you have in your inventory before you go for it, that way you can keep a track of how many of each you have when you start the challenge. And it's only two of each, it's not like they're asking you for 10. :)

Actually, you can keep track of this, and other challenges, by pressing triangle (Y on the Xbox?) for 'Info' when looking at a challenge in the challenge list. It says things like "You have collected 2 Violet Snowdrops" etc.

Arclight
Jan 26, 2006

Tufty posted:

Actually, you can keep track of this, and other challenges, by pressing triangle (Y on the Xbox?) for 'Info' when looking at a challenge in the challenge list. It says things like "You have collected 2 Violet Snowdrops" etc.
I saw that, but it seemed to go away after I turned off the console and reloaded the save. :confused:

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Solomirathnius posted:

The random events in this game can be really freaky. I don't know if anyone's mentioned something like this before, but I just had a really weird experience in the middle of Tall Trees. I was sitting on my horse, just looking around for elk when I see this lady weeping over a dead body, presumably her husband/boyfriend. So I get down thinking maybe it's some sort of random mission. Nothing happens as I stand next to her, though. So I'm about to mount my horse again when she takes a gun from her side, puts it in her mouth and BLOWS HER BRAINS OUT all over the white snow. It happened so fast I wasn't sure if it was real, but drat, what the hell man.

and yes i did loot both their bodies afterwards

I think everyone's gotten that one at least once. One that I've been noticing more is that I'll be riding along at nighttime and there'll be a dead body just off the side of the road. Nothing anywhere near it, no explanation, just a black X appearing on the map and some dead guy laying there. The fact that it only happens at night is actually kind of unsettling. I keep wondering if there's some shadowy beast about to leap at me from behind a rock when I stop to check the body. :tinfoil:

Honestly, the more I play this game the more it reminds of the setting for Deadlands (a western/horror tabletop game) in ways. Something about this version of the west just feels... not quite right.

Solomirathnius posted:

I saw that, but it seemed to go away after I turned off the console and reloaded the save. :confused:

You have to collect them all in one session. It resets otherwise.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!
Derp, quote isn't edit.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

teekun posted:

Yeah, gently caress that mission. I feel like I'm playing World of Warcraft or some poo poo trying to collect all the crap he needs.

Yeah I'd say I've found only one in around 30 hours too. I sold it 15 hours ago, of course.

Flowers for a Lady was so much better than this. My god, WHY loving BEAVERS

Swordfish
Aug 15, 2001

I can't seem to find an answer that really satisfies me, so maybe someone here can explain it to me. What are the various(?) uses of the plants/meat/skins? I'm not very far into the game at all, but all they are good for right now is vendor trash. Will keeping the stuff I gather, instead of selling it all, pay off? How?

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Swordfish posted:

I can't seem to find an answer that really satisfies me, so maybe someone here can explain it to me. What are the various(?) uses of the plants/meat/skins? I'm not very far into the game at all, but all they are good for right now is vendor trash. Will keeping the stuff I gather, instead of selling it all, pay off? How?

A couple of Stranger missions and journal challenges will want specific stuff, but there's really no benefit to keeping stuff otherwise. It's mostly a guaranteed source of income, since an extended hunting trip can bring in a couple hundred dollars or so.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell

BlazeKinser posted:

A couple of Stranger missions and journal challenges will want specific stuff, but there's really no benefit to keeping stuff otherwise. It's mostly a guaranteed source of income, since an extended hunting trip can bring in a couple hundred dollars or so.

And playing liars dice when you get the stranger mission will get you unlimited amounts of cash.

Seriously, i played that cinema guy mission where he asks you to go play dice in thieves landing. Antes are 200$, and the others can't bust out. I just kept playing and winning and now i have 20k $

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Emron posted:

The last survivalist challenge is going to be really loving irritating.

It's not that bad. The one that gave me the most trouble was finding the butterfly weed in Mexico, since those plants are so relatively small compared to the others.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.

Jedrick posted:

Thanks to the FOX short I now know that Fort Mercer has a trans-dimensional portal to Tumbleweed Mansion, should help in Free Roam.

I noticed this too, lol. What a strange 'plot' edit.

Was anybody else left sort of scratching their head after watching the animated short? I thought it was bad. In fact, watching the 30 second commercial for the game pumped me up more than the 30 minute short. I'm no director, but I just felt like they made some strange choices with the scenes and dialogue. Also, did any of you notice at the point where they're about to assault Fort Mercer and are all standing on a hilltop, that the Irish guy was randomly there (random to the show, since he wasn't introduced at all in it)? Like we the viewers are watching a scene entirely of characters that we know and have been introduced to in the short (the Marshall, his deputies, Dickens, Marston, etc) and then this randomly disheveled bum (the Irish guy) with a big rear end beard and torn clothes. Things like that actually really turned me off to the short. John Hillcoat being the director did nothing for it. In fact, I literally just assume Hillcoat just slapped it together to get it over with. I thought it was going to be so much better.

Anyways.

A shrubbery! posted:

More shameless advertisement, if anybody wants to raise some hell in freeroam, add PSN TheUsagi21

Also, any tried-and-tested griefs?

Trampling! Get a few buddies together and mercilessly trample pubbies over and over from all directions. It's loving hilarious.

Fuzz posted:

The whole point of it all was that Marston can't speak Spanish. They were speaking English because they WERE speaking English to him. The Spanish had no translating subtitles because Marston doesn't understand Spanish, so it's all just Spic gibberish to him.

Also you clearly haven't spent a lot of time with Mexicans in the US, because even up here in NYC, they regularly will throw in Spanish insults or terms while speaking English. It's no different than when shithead American tourists throw in random English words while trying to BS their way through the native language when they go to Europe, which also happens regularly.

You seem like a very angry man. What's with the racism?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Marston doesn't understand Spanish, so it's all just Spic gibberish to him.

Cool it down mate not everyone can be an Aryan superhuman

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Spitshine posted:

Trampling! Get a few buddies together and mercilessly trample pubbies over and over from all directions. It's loving hilarious.
There's also the tried and true method of finding a Carcano sniper rifle and following a big posse around, picking at them from a distance while they try to do gang hideouts. You can make most of them ragequit if you're persistent enough, especially if you shoot the horses of one or two constantly to make it take forever to get from point A to point B.

Nope. No penalty other than being forced into a duel and forfeiting the money you put up to get into the game.
vvvv

BlazeKinser fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 31, 2010

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Does getting caught cheating affect your honor? I did and won the duel which increased my fame. I didn't notice any honor reduction message but I could have missed it. Anyone know about this?

This game gets much better after you get out of Mexico.

transient
Apr 7, 2005

Greedish posted:

Bro, that's one of the three best horses in the game.

Not the one I broke, the one I started with.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Anybody figure out the online lobby?
You can smoke, chop wood, dance, drink, etc. but only at the beginning or until you do something else.
You can fistfight, but not all the time, apparently. Sometimes my aim/shoot buttons do nothing.

Is everyone beating me in the shootouts because they have LeMats? I know this is supposed to be for fun, but the combination of such long load times for a small event tacked with unskippable scenes on both ends makes it more aggravating than fun most of the time.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I love that Bonzo the Bull is just a dick in multiplayer, all it does before and after you get off it is just purposely avoid letting you ride it and attack random players. Either AI or human.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Spitshine posted:

You seem like a very angry man. What's with the racism?

okand posted:

Cool it down mate not everyone can be an Aryan superhuman

I've been hanging out at Yale with professors too much. :haw:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I was thinking about the game's story today and I have to say that the game would've been improved if you killed Bill at Fort Mercer and Mexico was all about getting Javier.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Timeless Appeal posted:

I was thinking about the game's story today and I have to say that the game would've been improved if you killed Bill at Fort Mercer and Mexico was all about getting Javier.

It almost seems like that was the original plan - most of the dialog in Mexico has John asking only about Escuella. It's really inconsistent if you pay attention to it.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

All I wanted was more exposition regarding Bill. Even Javier gets more dialogue.

TLAD/BoGT-style DLC detailing the days of Dutch's Gang would be great.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
What drives me nuts about the dialog is the back and forth bickering/friendliness John has with people that happens when you are riding along on a very long "Press X to skip to destination" trip. It's never important to the plot really, but I never want to skip it because I feel like I'm not taking it all in. It just drives me nuts how it always gets heated and then the conversation changes.

John: Yeah, well, I think you're being an unreasonable rear end in a top hat!
Other guy: gently caress you, Marston. Until you've blah blah blah.
[five seconds pass]
Other guy: You're a great man, John.
John: Thanks, other guy. You're a really swell fella. Let's makeout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So, I notice that when I punch people out in saloons (which is funny as hell btw), they just get back up seconds later and keep coming after you no matter what? Does just knocking them out for those couple of seconds count for Fighting Around the World?

Also I'm noticing a trend of hands that never actually equate to anything in Texas Hold'Em.

• Locked thread