Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
I can't seem to complete the I know you mission. Hopefully this doesn't go towards the 100% or I'll end up on 99.9%

I think he dissapears when you become Jack Marston. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

arca posted:

I can't seem to complete the I know you mission. Hopefully this doesn't go towards the 100% or I'll end up on 99.9%

Because you can't finish it when you become Jack, it doesn't count towards 100% completion.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Because you can't finish it when you become Jack, it doesn't count towards 100% completion.

Good, I was slightly worried about this. Having to complete the whole game again to get the achievement would have been stupid.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

drat I threw 2 horseshoes on top of the thing, and the drat things didn't fall down so they didn't count as ringers.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Spitshine posted:

I'm still looking for that pile o feces :(

If you have your paper map start checking the named dots. Every treasure map starts at one of those landmarks, although not every landmark has a treasure.

Fracturus Cactusmas
Sep 5, 2006

Hey You Pifuckyou! posted:

Had a funtastic bug yesterday. I've been all through Mexico and just entered Blackwater, but I still hadn't picked up the courage to knife two cougars. Yesterday evening I decided to finally just man up and do it.

So I did. It wasn't THAT hard, after all, although I did die once during the quest (why the gently caress do those bastards always come in duos? gently caress). I unlocked the next hunting challenge, the one with 5 raccoons, foxes and skunks or whatever. Luckily, Rio Bravo where I was huntin' happened to be just teeming with those aforementioned skunks! Of course I immediately start blasting those furry little cuties to hell so I could skin 'em.

Except their corpses just... disappear. Literally the second the skunk's ragdoll stops jigglin', the creature disappears. This happened to each and every one of the 20+ skunks I shot. None of the other animals were affected.

The hilarity/weirdness of the bugs in this game almost rival those in Dwarf Fortress
If you're shooting them with a shotgun or rifle don't, use a pistol or repeater. It's pretty accurate as a shotgun blast or slug would probably ruin any skins or meat you'd try to take from such a small animal.

Fracturus Cactusmas
Sep 5, 2006

Danger Mahoney posted:

I had a weird bug today that caused everyone to be super hostile to me for no reason. Hero honor, no bounty. Funny thing was they'd still do their introductory speech, then pull a gun and go nuts on me.

"Come sit at our fire, senor!" BLAM BLAM
"Please, they took my wagon!" BLAM BLAM
"The prisoners are escaping!" BLAM BLAM

Also I saw a cougar in a frozen pounce animation gliding slowly from one horizon to another - the endless journey of the levitating cougar yogi.

This game has some of the most entertaining bugs.

Those are bandits trying to fool you, its pretty common.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!
I was messing around Tumbleweed and found out that in the church, someone has written "The Devil has gotten into that beast" on the face of the preacher's pulpit. Mighty disturbing thing to find in a ghost town.

(it wasn't a cheat code unfortunately)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

arca posted:

Weren't people earlier saying there was a way to finish the game as John or something? What's that about?

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
Did anyone figure out what the text scrawled onto the wall of the U shaped mine to the west of the L missions in Mexico was?
I think it was "To the root of all evil, we thank you!" but it didn't seem to be a cheat code?

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
So did anyone watch the tv special or was everyone too busy actually playing the game?

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008
So, just got done playing this for like 5 hours straight, all I have to say is gently caress YOU DE SANTE and :lol: at me killing you by pushing you and kicking your human being rear end down.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Smashlampjaw posted:

So, just got done playing this for like 5 hours straight, all I have to say is gently caress YOU DE SANTE and :lol: at me killing you by pushing you and kicking your human being rear end down.

I got him by shooting him in the crotch, but I didn't get the credit for killing him, letting me come out the good guy anyway. It was great to have him have his comeuppance, with me ending up innocent. :dance:

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
Where's a good place to hunt beavers?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Rubicon posted:

The river east of Cochinay and Aurora Basin.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

Apocadall posted:

I don't know if its just me or it happens for everyone but (ENDING) When I went to go hunt down the guy for the final mission where hes duck hunting, there was a massive lightning storm raging. When it came time to duel it just looked awesome having rain and lightning adding to the dramatic effect.

Yea I had that too, I'm not sure if how scripted the weather is because it seems so natural most of the time, but it sure is awesome. Also how good was it blasting Ross away, I was so gutted when he killed John that playing as jack I went from hero of the west to bank robbing cop murdering villain. Would have been nice to have an alternate ending though, jack sucks rear end.

War Pig
Nov 14, 2007

Civilization is crumbling.

Solly posted:

Yea I had that too, I'm not sure if how scripted the weather is because it seems so natural most of the time, but it sure is awesome. Also how good was it blasting Ross away, I was so gutted when he killed John that playing as jack I went from hero of the west to bank robbing cop murdering villain. Would have been nice to have an alternate ending though, jack sucks rear end.

Weather-wise, I found Ross and killed him as the sun was just breaking over the horizon. Wasn't no lightning storms, pardners, but cinematic all the sames. :clint:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Renoistic posted:

Why bother with the introductory scenes if you're going to treat the missions like any other random encounter, Rockstar?

I really wanted to see wedding granny lose her poo poo when I told her her guy's been dead for 20 years :q:

Fracturus Cactusmas
Sep 5, 2006

Mister Bung posted:

Did anyone figure out what the text scrawled onto the wall of the U shaped mine to the west of the L missions in Mexico was?
I think it was "To the root of all evil, we thank you!" but it didn't seem to be a cheat code?

It is a cheat code

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
This may have been posted before but in case it hasn't, here is some of the music from the game.

http://thewoundedjukebox.wordpress.com/2010/05/22/the-music-of-red-dead-redemption/

The Jose Gonzalez one plays just as you enter Mexico, I know its kind of sad, but at that moment the sun was going down and everything seemed just lovely.

Also is it just me or after flowers for a lady if you go into his shack he blasts his wife's head clean off, unfortunately I didn't go back in until I heard the bang, but her head was rolling on the floor.

Solly fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 31, 2010

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Solly posted:

This may have been posted before but in case it hasn't, here is some of the music from the game.

http://thewoundedjukebox.wordpress.com/2010/05/22/the-music-of-red-dead-redemption/

The Jose Gonzalez one plays just as you enter Mexico, I know its kind of sad, but at that moment the sun was going down and everything seemed just lovely.

Also is it just me or after flowers for a lady if you go into his shack he blasts his wife's head clean off, unfortunately I didn't go back in until I heard the bang, but her head was rolling on the floor.

If you bump into her, the same thing happens :mmmhmm:

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Solly posted:

I walked back in there myself and shot her to bring the old man back in to reality but he just cowered in the corner, which he already seemed to be doing when I first walked in so I don't know what's going on there

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
After I finished that quest and walked out of the cabin we were both attacked by wolves and he ran off into the distance screaming "Oh Jimminy!"

Also I am unable to resist pushing the guys who sit on the upper deck railing of the saloon in Armadillo over the edge. You don't lose any honour for it so I can only assume the gods approve.

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 31, 2010

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I'm having an issue with the sharpshooter challenge. I've been popping rabbits left and right but none of them are counting towards the challenge. Do I have to kill them in a certain manner/with a certain gun or something? I'm shooting for 100% so this is a pretty stupid roadblock.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I'm having an issue with the sharpshooter challenge. I've been popping rabbits left and right but none of them are counting towards the challenge. Do I have to kill them in a certain manner/with a certain gun or something? I'm shooting for 100% so this is a pretty stupid roadblock.

With some of the challenges you have to skin the animal not just kill it

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
Last night my friend/co-worker calls me late at night and asks for backup in free roam because a posse is riding on him.

I join the game and we proceed to put those suckers down until they leave. I had a bunch of kill streaks going and they were like 10 levels above me. Justice is served.

Rusty posted:

Anyway, time to read the spoilers and see if the story is in any way interesting. I think one thing that ended up helping in my decision to sell it was the "I know you mission". People here seemed to think it was really something special but it wasn't any more interesting than any of the other stranger missions.

That's because you have to finish the game to get the payoff for that mission, otherwise it is almost meaningless. It was just "eh" to me, but once I finished the game and it tied together it became my favorite Stranger quest.

Also shaking my head at the moron asking about where to find beavers not even 20 posts behind a half page discussion on where to find them.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Earwicker posted:

With some of the challenges you have to skin the animal not just kill it

The Rank 2 sharpshooter challenge says "Shoot and Kill 5 Rabbits." I have 1/5 complete somehow but even skinning them doesn't add another to the counter.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I added RedDeadGoons2 as a friend and now am able to see other goons playing the game. However, I've never used metatags. How do I join an existing goon game?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Solly posted:

I tried going back but the cabin door and all the windows are barricaded and I can't enter anymore :(

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

Martytoof posted:

Did they model Irish on John Oliver with a beard?

That's the only mental image I get when I see that guy.

All I could see was Diego from Blow.

transient
Apr 7, 2005

Crooked Vulture posted:

Looking for a few quick ideas on getting 100% if anyone's finished that. Right now I'm at 99.5% and havent found anything to move it in a while. I tried going back to do bounties, and got a few in Chuparosa before they started repeating/not giving anymore %. I went to Armadillo and Blackwater and got repeats as well. I have all the species, challenges, jobs, gambling, and outfits. Did I miss a place for bounties possibly? Should I keep doing repeat bounties hoping a new one or named one pops? All 3 locations kept giving the ??? bounties. Also, my horseshoes winnings were negative, could that possibly be it? Even though its only .5% left, I feel like I'm probably missing something big.

You're probably missing a stranger. There are 18 that count towards completion and one that doesn't so if you have 18 listed that's it. For me (and other people) it was Aztec Gold - located in Sidewinder Gulch. I was at 99.5% too, so I'm guessing that's it.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rubicon posted:

There's a ton of them at the saloons.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Mastiff posted:

There's a ton of them at the saloons.

you know that every single moron on gamefaqs has made this exact same joke?

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!
Get a bear to follow you. I don't think they'll go into towns but you can lead them close. It's kinda like herding cattle except the 'cattle' want to murder you.
I managed to get two all the way from tall trees to the outskirts of blackwater where they proceeded to maul everything that came along the road.
Bears are angry.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Did anyone else murder Ross's family after talking to them? I shot his wife after she told me where he was, and then his brother after talking to him. gently caress 'em.

I also went from honorable hero of the west to murderous villain after becoming Jack.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Not sure why people are having so much trouble finding beavers (other than being goons!!! :hurr:), but I was finding them by the bucketload near the trees along the river in NE elizabeth.

Skunks were the real annoying ones. Had to go all the way down to Mexico for those bastards. And cougars, of course.

Up to 99.4%. That means only 6 or 7 more wanted posters.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

bear is driving! posted:

Did anyone else murder Ross's family after talking to them? I shot his wife after she told me where he was, and then his brother after talking to him. gently caress 'em.

I also went from honorable hero of the west to murderous villain after becoming Jack.

So did I lot of people, I think. It's what I did, mostly because I think he's a oval office.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Heh, they seemed to realize this as the story goes on, as you start to encounter more missions where they don't talk during the ride and it just gives you the option to skip to your destination.

True, but you learn a LOT about Marston in the Mexico conversations, actually. Like the fact that he has a son named Jack who is a teenager, and that he has a farm that's actually in West Elizabeth.

There's a lot of foreshadowing in this game, if you pay attention.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RBA Starblade posted:

Weren't people earlier saying there was a way to finish the game as John or something? What's that about?

I'd like to know this too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.
Beavers - Found em by the dozen out in the vicinity of Aurora Basin. That whole snowy river line I saw em running about in the morning and afternoon. Hope it helps somebody :keke:

• Locked thread