Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Gumby Orgy posted:

Harper chewed through my laptop cable. That wasn't cheap to replace, either (Macbook). He also chewed through my cell phone charger cable.

my laptop cable is being held together with electrical tape. And my favourite moment was learning to splice the cord on my cell phone charger. I have spent lots of money replacing things that my devils get to. Like say, a TV!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?
reposting this here:

my sister has a pet rabbit that's a few months old, not exactly sure how old, unneutered male. She has a 3 year old son who rubbed the rabbit when he had something sticky on his hands, therefore getting sticky stuff on the rabbit. My sister went out and bought rabbit shampoo or w/e and gave bunny a bath after reading stuff about bathing rabbits online. She dried him to the best of her ability and then left him to do his 'hair straightening'. Well, it's a day and a half later and he's now completely dry but still trying to straighten the hair on his back. He's been doing it so much that he pulled out a patch of fur about the side of the top of a soda can (a bit smaller but still). Should he be taken to the vet to be checked for mites? He didn't have them before, why would he get them after being bathed? Obviously something in the bath irritated him, but the rest of his skin looks fine and he doesn't have hives/bumps/anything.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
First of all, it is shedding season in the northern hemisphere. Did she brush him out well once he was dry? Rabbits also sometimes pull out their hair when stressed, and rabbits unaccustomed to baths can get stressed. Another possibility would be that she did not rinse the soap off well and he itches. Equally likely is that she didn't get all that sticky off when she bathed him and he's licking at himself obsessively because he tastes good.

Mites are very unlikely for an indoor rabbit, but not entirely out of the question, just very unlikely.

Be very careful about him getting hairballs. Whenever I bathed Harper, I would always make sure he was as dry as possible before brushing him and them letting him lick himself "clean". Rabbits have very sensitive skin, so your rabbit shampoo may be too irritating. I used Johnson's baby shampoo, an unscented glycerin soap, and Four Paws Bunny Bath interchangeably with good results. What kind did she use?

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

Gumby Orgy posted:

First of all, it is shedding season in the northern hemisphere. Did she brush him out well once he was dry? Rabbits also sometimes pull out their hair when stressed, and rabbits unaccustomed to baths can get stressed. Another possibility would be that she did not rinse the soap off well and he itches. Equally likely is that she didn't get all that sticky off when she bathed him and he's licking at himself obsessively because he tastes good.

Mites are very unlikely for an indoor rabbit, but not entirely out of the question, just very unlikely.

Be very careful about him getting hairballs. Whenever I bathed Harper, I would always make sure he was as dry as possible before brushing him and them letting him lick himself "clean". Rabbits have very sensitive skin, so your rabbit shampoo may be too irritating. I used Johnson's baby shampoo, an unscented glycerin soap, and Four Paws Bunny Bath interchangeably with good results. What kind did she use?

she used this stuff: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753363&lmdn=Pet+Type

The Squeaky Clean kind. She brushes him very often (once a week or once every two weeks depending) because he is shedding like hell right now. She did brush him while trying to dry him (he was pretty scared after the bath so I'm not sure she did a good job). She dried him to the best of her ability but unfortunately his feet were still wet afterward (I got to see this, it was so :(). She thinks it's stress because of how freaked out he was by the bath. I'm just really worried because she can't afford to go to the vet right now and if he needs to go, I'm going to take him. He isn't picking at it anymore. She said he hasn't been eating as much (she thinks he is stressed) so she's been giving him more treats to get him to eat more. Today though, he's been eating normally and acting normally.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

drat, I'm reading some of these "my bunny chews on" lines and I find myself thankful that our rabbits don't chew the gently caress out of everything wooden in sight. And there's a lot of wooden things in the areas they choose to roam in too. Of course, the split second something cardboard touches their area, they're circling around it nudging and nibbling on it trying to find that sweet spot to start tearing pieces off. They've also got a thing for wires, but if it's not easily accessible, they're not going to put in the effort to get to them. Which is the only reason why the rabbits still make my computer room their free roaming homebase.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Fatty Patty posted:

she used this stuff: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753363&lmdn=Pet+Type

The Squeaky Clean kind. She brushes him very often (once a week or once every two weeks depending) because he is shedding like hell right now. She did brush him while trying to dry him (he was pretty scared after the bath so I'm not sure she did a good job). She dried him to the best of her ability but unfortunately his feet were still wet afterward (I got to see this, it was so :(). She thinks it's stress because of how freaked out he was by the bath. I'm just really worried because she can't afford to go to the vet right now and if he needs to go, I'm going to take him. He isn't picking at it anymore. She said he hasn't been eating as much (she thinks he is stressed) so she's been giving him more treats to get him to eat more. Today though, he's been eating normally and acting normally.

Squeaky clean caused Harper's skin to turn from a healthy pink to a bright loving red. He was itchy as hell, too. I would suggest getting a more gentle bunny bath next time.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

Gumby Orgy posted:

Squeaky clean caused Harper's skin to turn from a healthy pink to a bright loving red. He was itchy as hell, too. I would suggest getting a more gentle bunny bath next time.

will do! If he isn't picking at it anymore, does that mean it isn't irritating him anymore? If not, what can we use to make it less itchy for him?

Hungry Joes Smile
Sep 5, 2007

what's going on? I'll cut you.
One of my buns, Greta, has taken to climbing all over me and licking me every chance she gets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDIu63skQB8

Bizarre creature.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Fatty Patty posted:

will do! If he isn't picking at it anymore, does that mean it isn't irritating him anymore? If not, what can we use to make it less itchy for him?

You could try rinsing him with cool water, but he might go back to obsessively licking himself again. I'd leave it alone for the time being.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Would a baking soda wash be gentle enough for a bunny? That's really good for itching.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
My parents helped me make a little fenced in outside play area for Nibbler (he's heavily supervised don't worry!).

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

Nom nom nom yummy yummy yummy

hey guys sup

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

RazorBunny posted:

Would a baking soda wash be gentle enough for a bunny? That's really good for itching.

Baking soda is very drying. A dust bath would be better.

Bunny dust bath ingredients:
1/4 c cornstarch

Gently massage cornstarch into skin and then brush out as much as possible. Cornstarch helps soothe irritated skin and loosens dirt. If you have a rabbit with urine burns, do a dry bath that focuses in on the area.

RAJ: Nibbler is adorable and has an awesome name.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I was referring to a rinse with a baking soda solution, not just dusting with baking soda. I've never come out of one with dry skin, but I know bunny skin is more delicate than ours.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I thought you meant a baking soda rinse, so that is why I suggested a dust bath. It isn't drying to the skin for rabbits.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Gumby Orgy posted:

Harper chewed through my laptop cable. That wasn't cheap to replace, either (Macbook). He also chewed through my cell phone charger cable.

I thought I had bunnyproofed areas he would run around in, but those two times I had to use the desk in the second bedroom, I didn't keep the cords far enough away.

Nearly 170 dollars later...

I'm on ipod charger cable number..... 5 or 6. Maybe 7. You'd think I'd learn.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

angelicism posted:

I'm on ipod charger cable number..... 5 or 6. Maybe 7. You'd think I'd learn.

I think we went through about ten computer mice. And god knows how many phone cords. Though that wasn't for our charger, it was for an actual house phone. Bowser pre-dated us having cells!

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
Three of our computer power cables have been chewed all the way through, and the I'm using right now is chewed halfway through. Even when you don't think they can get to the wires, they somehow find a way!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I tried real hard to read through this thing but it's kinda long. Please forgive me.

I know that if a rabbit gives you permission to groom it, that's a sign it accepts you. What's mine doing?

When I lie on the floor, she hops over to me and gets her face all up in my grill. She'll nudge my face and sniff my mouth, then she'll put her chin right on the floor. Generally by this time I have moved in some way, and then she'll form a bunny loaf and put her chin directly on the floor. Is this permission to groom her? If I rub her face she doesn't appear to care. She's drat hard to read.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Rocksteady and Bebop. Beep's the lionhead, I'm convinced he's secretly not, though. He's got so much more fur than any of the others I've seen.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

NancyPants posted:

I tried real hard to read through this thing but it's kinda long. Please forgive me.

I know that if a rabbit gives you permission to groom it, that's a sign it accepts you. What's mine doing?

When I lie on the floor, she hops over to me and gets her face all up in my grill. She'll nudge my face and sniff my mouth, then she'll put her chin right on the floor. Generally by this time I have moved in some way, and then she'll form a bunny loaf and put her chin directly on the floor. Is this permission to groom her? If I rub her face she doesn't appear to care. She's drat hard to read.

She definitely wants you to pet her head, and you probably should, lest you offend the bunny princess :P This is the best resource I've found for deciphering rabbit-speak.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

NancyPants posted:

she loooooooooooooooooovess you and wants you to rub your face against her face and rub your knuckles in that spot between her eyes :3:

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

NancyPants posted:

That's classic "groom me invalid" speech. She just wants some love. Mine are particularly fond of having their ears pulled back gently but not all buns love that.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Thinking of me as an invalid sounds about right for my Gordon.

It took her like two and a half, maybe three years to finally warm up to me. It probably doesn't help that she just figured me for a crude oaf most of the time, and clueless the other part.

She begs for treats these days, though, and she's even been known to hop onto a couch. She's actually been licking me recently, so I guess she's not nearly as snooty as I thought she was.

This rabbit still got a attitude though. I chalk that up to her being a rabbit.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

Fatty Patty posted:

bad news, Benny didn't make it. :( We have no idea what happened--he was eating normally and drinking normally. My sister let him out earlier today and she said he seemed happy. The patch of missing fur was looking a lot better. He was hanging out in the living room but her son started messing with him so she moved him upstairs to the empty guest room (well, not quite empty, some rabbit toys and thats it). When she came back up to get him in 20-30 minutes he was gone :( I'm particularly bothered by this as it was my responsibility to take him to the vet but we all thought he was getting better. I feel awful.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
:(

I'm very sorry.
After ingesting all that hair, he may have gotten a blockage. Those kill rabbits very quickly.

I guess this is the best thread for this:

I found my mail key after a week of searching for it (it was under the couch for god-only-knows why) and found an innocuous looking envelope. It obviously contained a card and didn't have any return address, so I thought it may be something from a relative. It wasn't.

The card was a sympathy card from our vet regarding Harper's death. They had an inked paw print on the inside. My husband and I both broke down crying over the paw print. I don't fault our vet for scratching raw nerves because they probably send these cards to all people who euthanized their pets. Knowing they didn't mean anything by it doesn't make it hurt any less.

I knew Harper was dead, but know I really know. This made it all too real.

He had the cutest paw print. I'm going to burn the card as soon as possible. Some things are not worth reliving.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
If they demand to be petted they don't really love you, they just are demanding your obedience :colbert:

If they lick you, then they love you

Actually mine doesn't lick me but I'm pretty sure he's cool with me. He just doesn't like licking things that aren't microfiber couches or the fringe from the rugs we have on the floor.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Levitate posted:

If they demand to be petted they don't really love you, they just are demanding your obedience :colbert:

If they lick you, then they love you

Actually mine doesn't lick me but I'm pretty sure he's cool with me. He just doesn't like licking things that aren't microfiber couches or the fringe from the rugs we have on the floor.

I'm told that if they lick something near you while looking at you, that's sort of licking you by proxy, and is another sign of affection.

Hope it's true, ours licks the everloving gently caress out of our couch half the time when I'm sitting on it :3:

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

bitprophet posted:

I'm told that if they lick something near you while looking at you, that's sort of licking you by proxy, and is another sign of affection.

Hope it's true, ours licks the everloving gently caress out of our couch half the time when I'm sitting on it :3:

I hope so too: Frith will never lick me but he will happily leave embarrassingly large wet spots on my bed.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

angelicism posted:

I hope so too: Frith will never lick me but he will happily leave embarrassingly large wet spots on my bed.

:3:

Here's where I found that info, it's the 2nd para from the bottom: http://language.rabbitspeak.com/rabbittalk_hierarchy.html In fact, this site overall was a great resource for info about bunny body language, again assuming it's accurate.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Nibbler has gone outside the last few days in that pen we made him and he really really really likes being outside. He pretty much gets really bored and lethargic just being inside though. Thats cool for now, because the summer weather is so nice atm. Is he going to be ok during winter though?

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Nur_Neerg posted:

Rocksteady and Bebop. Beep's the lionhead, I'm convinced he's secretly not, though. He's got so much more fur than any of the others I've seen.

Oh man, can he even see anything with hair like that?

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Nibbler has gone outside the last few days in that pen we made him and he really really really likes being outside. He pretty much gets really bored and lethargic just being inside though. Thats cool for now, because the summer weather is so nice atm. Is he going to be ok during winter though?

Why would it be a problem? You do keep him inside at night and when you're not around, right?

If you're worried about getting cold during outside playtime you could provide him with a blanket or box to snuggle up in (or yourself of course). A good way to check is feeling how cold his ears are.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
Speaking of checking their ears for cold... does it work the other way around too? Do their ears get warmer than normal when they're overheated?

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Yes. Their ears are what keep their temperature stabile. A good rule of thumb is to give them soda bottles that have have been filled with water and frozen after 80F.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I do that and my bunny just ignores them

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

I finally bribed Frith into grooming Zen with grapes! *happydance*

Zen then thumped at me for her grape-y forehead. Win some/lose some.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Rabbits handle cold much much better than heat. Heatstroke can be very common if you're not careful. Many a rabbit owner kept their buns outside in a cage on a hot summer's day and ended up coming home to a dead or dying rabbit.

EDIT: If they can roam free on the grass and have plenty of shade they should be fine. My aunt used to leave her bun out this way during the day, and was sure to spray down the concrete steps with a hose. Still not a good setup, but it wasn't exactly horrible.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 3, 2010

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

SAMe went on a picnic yesterday! Here are photos!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

okiecompy posted:

you're everywhere I go (and I kinda like it :3: )

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er

okiecompy posted:

HJHJGKGHSGK that rabbit is loving awesome. And where does one find bunny clothes?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

okiecompy posted:

AAaaaAaaAAAAaaaaaaaaaaAAaaAAaaaaaa :3: :3: :3: