Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
They definitely need a social club unlock or some DLC to play as John after you beat the game. I would even pay money for that as sad as it is.

Also, random things to contribute:

After killing Ross I totally unloaded on his body until he was washed away by the river. No one will find the evidence!

I think the weirdest bug I've had so far is people duplicating during cutscenes. The best was probably during the last mission cutscene where John is helping his family escape from the barn, I had Jack duplicate and just stand there after everyone left. My friend was telling me he actually had a better version of this where the duplicate Jack was the all torn up one from after the Bear mission and he was cowering in the corner like the Marstons' unloved second son who lives in the barn.
Also, I totally had 8 beaver pelts from previous hunting when the flying machine quest rolled around :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

99.4% complete. loving hell. I'm pretty sure according to guides I've seen that last bit of percent is probably tied up in doing bounties, which I largely dropped soon as I got in Mexico. So much loving around, and a compulsive wildlife killing/skinning routine saw me crossing the border with $15,000, so I wasn't hurting for money.

I wish there was something simple that could tell me what I was missing.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
My friend got the (endgame)duplicate Jack during the bear mission too, but that may have been because he had a knife fight with the bear that made it run away from the area.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Spitshine posted:

Beavers - Found em by the dozen out in the vicinity of Aurora Basin. That whole snowy river line I saw em running about in the morning and afternoon. Hope it helps somebody :keke:

Go to cabin/dock in Aurora Basin. You'll see the little bastards climbing out of the water.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

5er posted:

99.4% complete. loving hell. I'm pretty sure according to guides I've seen that last bit of percent is probably tied up in doing bounties, which I largely dropped soon as I got in Mexico. So much loving around, and a compulsive wildlife killing/skinning routine saw me crossing the border with $15,000, so I wasn't hurting for money.

I wish there was something simple that could tell me what I was missing.

If you link with the social club, they have a pretty simple 100% checklist. Some of the stuff is glitched, but if you know you've done all the strangers and missions, it shouldn't be an issue. It seems to be working to check all the bounty locations, AFAIK.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Just finished the "Flowers for a Lady" Stranger Mission. I kinda bumped into Annabelle and her head fell off...is there any way I can put it back on? Billy is gonna be pissed.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

DrNutt posted:

If you link with the social club, they have a pretty simple 100% checklist. Some of the stuff is glitched, but if you know you've done all the strangers and missions, it shouldn't be an issue. It seems to be working to check all the bounty locations, AFAIK.

Thanks, good, I'll look at that. I know I have all the strangers and missions knocked out. And every weapon too.

Edit- I was in-game looking at the Social Club stuff wondering where the gently caress you could find whatever it was you were talking about... then it donned on me you meant their WEBSITE.

Man, what a spiffy setup this Social Club poo poo is.

5er fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 31, 2010

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
On the topic of the music, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3311076

I created a thread to discuss western music inspired by this game.

Blamethrower
Nov 26, 2006

I was playing multiplayer and instead of my normal crappy horse (I forget the name of it but I'm level 15) my War Horse from singleplayer appeared when I whistled. Happened in a free roam session, and only happened once. Weird.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

A warning guys. Bears do not like it when you throw Molotov cocktails at them.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So does the social club 100% thing fully function yet? Cause I"m taking a look at it now and while it accurately says I have 93.3% done, it says I only discovered 6 locations out of 94, and have done no strangers or ambient challenges. This is my first time looking at it.

If it's still on the fritz, then it's okay, but if someone's got it working without a glitch, do I have to wait a while before looking again or something?

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Well I'm loving done with this game.

I was 1 flower away from rank 10 Survivalist, got jumped by a posse and killed. It respawned me on the other side of the map and all but two flowers were gone out of my inventory and the challenge was reset.

That's a little bit more a loving game breaking bug than I'm willing to put up with.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

bear is driving! posted:

That's a little bit more a loving game breaking bug than I'm willing to put up with.
That's not a bug. You don't keep your inventory when you die.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

I love this poo poo

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Cat Machine posted:

To be more specific, you lose what you've gained since your last save. The game only auto-saves after you complete the challenge or when something else happens to cause the game to auto-save. I ran into that problem once during that challenge too, but it was a god drat ghost cougar.

Just didn't want someone to read that and think dying causes you to lose all of your inventory.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For rank 10 survivalist I just did it while I was doing other poo poo. You see a flower, pick it. I think it would have felt like a lot longer if I'd actively been searching out all 10 varieties of flowers. Except for the 10 violet snowdrops, it's something that you'll probably complete most of during the normal course of dicking around shooting birds which is essentially all I do in this having beaten the storyline

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
People post ridiculous videos on the internet. This kid reviews horses and guns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ge6twoS-yQ

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When you lose a duel how do you get the guy to show back up? I tried to disarm some jerk but the bar filled only a fraction of an inch for some reason and I died. For that matter how exactly do they work? I get that you can aim your gun two different ways, but painting the target seems random when it actually raises the bar substantially.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Morter posted:

So does the social club 100% thing fully function yet? Cause I"m taking a look at it now and while it accurately says I have 93.3% done, it says I only discovered 6 locations out of 94, and have done no strangers or ambient challenges. This is my first time looking at it.

If it's still on the fritz, then it's okay, but if someone's got it working without a glitch, do I have to wait a while before looking again or something?

It's still buggy as hell, but for me at least, it seems to have updated most everything. I mentioned before stranger missions, and it seems to be the only thing that hasn't registered for some reason. But if you check out the info buttons on the website, it does mention that some of the stuff is still glitchy and they are working on it.

It did take like 3 or 4 days for the social site to start working for me though, and FWIW it has never recognized that I own The Lost and the Damned or the Ballad of Gay Tony, and while it will display my achievements for GTA4, it refuses to update any of my stats past the very first mission. So while the social club website is a really cool idea, it's a bit too janky to be all that useful at this point.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

RBA Starblade posted:

When you lose a duel how do you get the guy to show back up? I tried to disarm some jerk but the bar filled only a fraction of an inch for some reason and I died. For that matter how exactly do they work? I get that you can aim your gun two different ways, but painting the target seems random when it actually raises the bar substantially.

They're random occurrences, so just walk around town and hope to get challenged.

For duels, you want your bar (the blue one) to be higher then your opponents bar (the red one). Targeting vital places like the head causes each shot to increase the bar a whole ton. Hitting the hand or weapon fills it up instantly. You get a number of shots equal to how many the pistol you have equipped has.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

They're random occurrences, so just walk around town and hope to get challenged.

For duels, you want your bar (the blue one) to be higher then your opponents bar (the red one). Targeting vital places like the head causes each shot to increase the bar a whole ton. Hitting the hand or weapon fills it up instantly. You get a number of shots equal to how many the pistol you have equipped has.

Oh, so I just hosed up then? Ok.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

The timing on the reticule counts, too. When it's contracted and white you will fill the bar up more if you paint then vs painting when it's expanded and red. If it's contracted and white when you target their hand, it'll instantly end the duel and you'll disarm them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

What are the best / fastest horses you can find in single-player, and where can they be found?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think I see how it works now. Thanks for the info! I couldn't read the text on the lovely SDTV I'm using at the moment. Tall and thin text like in RDR kind of blurs together on it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

bear is driving! posted:

I was 1 flower away from rank 10 Survivalist, got jumped by a posse and killed. It respawned me on the other side of the map and all but two flowers were gone out of my inventory and the challenge was reset.

Please sell your copy, you clearly don't understand the concept of saving your game.

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
gently caress YOU COUGAR

One came out of nowhere in the middle of the Great Plains (what) and mauled me in the gathering animation. When I got back up, I couldn't draw any guns (or shoot).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Timby posted:

What are the best / fastest horses you can find in single-player, and where can they be found?

You can get the Kentucky Sadler early from doing Bonnie missions, and then when you get to Mexico you can get a white horse (Hungarian Half Bred I think) thats even faster. Its out in the wild in Mexico, but its all white so its easy to find.

Theres a faster one thats all black up in the North East of the map but I haven't gotten there yet.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Timby posted:

Kentucky Saddler - New Austin
American Standardbred - West Elizabeth
Hungarian Half-Bred - Mexico

zarg
Mar 19, 2005

We are the Unity 3D community. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

bear is driving! posted:

Haha, saving is hard!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

Whew, finished LEGEND OF THE WEST (feels like there should be a Flapjack-esque chorus when I say that.) Survivalist 10 was a lot easier than I was expecting. It doesn't really take that long to get two of everything.

If I could find the freakin' foxes before I make it to West Elizabeth, I'd be a happy man.

The spawning system in this game fills me with rage. If you need it? It never spawns. If you don't, the landscape is littered with <whatever>.

Fuckers....

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!

bear is driving! posted:

That was 100% your own fault. How did you get so far into the game without realizing the need of using the campsite? Seriously, every few flowers I save. Every one cougar I knife, I save.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Observational Thought:

For a game that instantly kills you the moment you have water up to your head it sure renders wet clothing fantastically. It's too bad there wasn't at least an oxygen meter, but then again, there would be nothing to stop everyone from swimming right over to Mexico from the get go.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm trying to get the Heading South On A White Bronco achievement, but can't seem to do it. I'm on the Hungarian Half-bred and I went to Armadillo and shot a hole in the marshal's window which made me wanted. I then escaped and didn't get the achievement. Didn't I do exactly what I was supposed to?

So dying takes you to your last save, not just the closest safehouse with the current state? I'm nearly done with Mexico and didn't realize that.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
You have to get a bounty, lose your wanted level (but keeping your bounty) and then have the US Marshals pick up your trail and then lose them.

Also, using a horse deed instantly saves your game. No need to run out of town and set up a camp.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I never thought I could get much more satisfaction out of the game since beating it, but I've proven myself wrong.

Since deciding to 100% the game, I went through costume objectives, including "Bust out the entire Blackwater poker table". Having tried an accumulated hour or so just to get a 2000 chip hand in the past, I knew there'd be some hard-loving-times, so I kept trying my luck by going to the table to wait until there was only one person left (and whenever there wasn't, just violently shove the 2-4 people that were there, then go far enough to have the table reload). Finally I came upon the table when Visor "4-Eyes" McCheatdick was the only one there. Somehow, only a few hands in, I came upon a full house that turned into a 4 of a kind, which I quickly went All In, as did he. In one fell swoop, I busted him out. He left.

The satisfaction came in the 5+ minutes (really, that's a long time) I spent shoving his body into metal objects, window panes, and tables. Even more funny was pressing B as he fell to hear a "Howdy, Mister!" only to have his body, about half the time, instantly snap into a standing position and greet me back like I wasn't harassing him. I did so until I chased him clear out of Blackwater.

Now I have experienced Redemption! :arghfist::clint:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Tide posted:

If I could find the freakin' foxes before I make it to West Elizabeth, I'd be a happy man.
Foxes exist in New Austin, they're just hard to spot because they sound exactly like coyotes. You might want to just wait until WE; they're practically impossible not to find up there, and since there are no coyotes, there's no mistaking them too.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Tide posted:

The spawning system in this game fills me with rage. If you need it? It never spawns. If you don't, the landscape is littered with <whatever>.

Fuckers....

New Austin, 'Rio del Lobos,' you can also find a shitload of wolves. Ducks are also near the river, helpful for the 'Unnatural Selection' thing.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, I'm pretty disappointed with the first treasure hunter challenge. The map shows Hanging Rock/tree in the distance of the II. drawing, but the treasure's actually butting up against the rock that the tree is on?. I feel like the drawing lead me away from the treasure rather than to it. Are they all that misleading?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mastiff posted:

Wow, I'm pretty disappointed with the first treasure hunter challenge. The map shows Hanging Rock/tree in the distance of the II. drawing, but the treasure's actually butting up against the rock that the tree is on?. I feel like the drawing lead me away from the treasure rather than to it. Are they all that misleading?

Not really IMHO, and once you realize you're looking for a pile of rocks on top of a chest, they're all around the same difficulty to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!

Mastiff posted:

That one is the hardest. Realize that there is NO perspective in those picture. They are separate pictures of the same thing.

The others, so far, are easier.

• Locked thread