Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mastiff posted:

Wow, I'm pretty disappointed with the first treasure hunter challenge. The map shows Hanging Rock/tree in the distance of the II. drawing, but the treasure's actually butting up against the rock that the tree is on?. I feel like the drawing lead me away from the treasure rather than to it. Are they all that misleading?

Read the OP to understand how treasure maps work.

The only treasure map that was a real letdown was the one that you get from a Stranger mission. Because it's a stranger mission, the game highlights exactly where you need to go and even puts a question mark RIGHT on the treasure, despite each piece of map you get having all the drawings and such, same as the regular treasure maps. Real missed opportunity, because the treasure hunting was one of my favorite parts of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Philip J Fry posted:

You have to get a bounty, lose your wanted level (but keeping your bounty) and then have the US Marshals pick up your trail and then lose them.

Also, using a horse deed instantly saves your game. No need to run out of town and set up a camp.

How do they pick up my trail? I've never had that happen before. My bounty is only $1. Is that enough for them to come after me?

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
has anyone else kidnapped a damsel and lassoed her to some train tracks?

this game is the best game

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

KingKapalone posted:

How do they pick up my trail? I've never had that happen before. My bounty is only $1. Is that enough for them to come after me?

I think your bounty has to be 2k-2.5k in order for the marshals/mexican army to go after you.

Dirk Digglet posted:

this game is the best game

Only the people trying to do that achievement :buddy:

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dirk Digglet posted:

Nope. Don't care to, either.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

5er posted:

New Austin, 'Rio del Lobos,' you can also find a shitload of wolves. Ducks are also near the river, helpful for the 'Unnatural Selection' thing.

I've spent days (gamewise) camping that area looking for them. Have been through 15+ baits.

I am IN the canyon down by the water right now.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mastiff posted:

Nope. Don't care to, either.

You get a trophy for it.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Tide posted:

I've spent days (gamewise) camping that area looking for them. Have been through 15+ baits.

I am IN the canyon down by the water right now.

I had better luck in Tall Trees once I realized the coyote sounding animals were foxes. I had them all within 5 minutes.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Morter posted:

I think your bounty has to be 2k-2.5k in order for the marshals/mexican army to go after you.

I don't think the bounty amount matters any. Mine was only $600 or so from shooting up the saloon in Armadillo; I just rode out of town towards MacFarlane's Ranch and came back then the pop-up said the Marshals had found my trail. Evaded them through Jorge's Gap and got the achievement. Not sure if it will work in Mexico since it says Marshals and not Federales. Having a higher bounty may expedite the Marshals picking up your trail, however.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'm so glad, by the way, that I looked at the Red Dead Wiki to find out that when the US Marshal costume said "Gang Hideouts", they meant only the New Austin ones. I was wondering how the gently caress they expected me to cross the border and take out the other couple of mexican hideouts without camping or otherwise.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Any tips on getting the 500 kills for a mounted gun trophy? I figured the "And you will know the Truth" mission would be ideal since you just run around with a mounted gatling run in a tank-truck-thing but whenever the mission is over, my stats don't seem to change any. Not sure if it's counting.

Is it easier to get it online? I still have nearly every online trophy to do anyways. :sigh:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Lothire posted:

Any tips on getting the 500 kills for a mounted gun trophy? I figured the "And you will know the Truth" mission would be ideal since you just run around with a mounted gatling run in a tank-truck-thing but whenever the mission is over, my stats don't seem to change any. Not sure if it's counting.

Is it easier to get it online? I still have nearly every online trophy to do anyways. :sigh:

Go online, head to El Presidio, clear it out and throw explosives around until you get a Wanted level, mount one of the cannons (preferably one by the big gate near the front) and start killing.

Took me about an hour.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I'm doing that right now. If you don't want to get flanked from the other set of doors, park a stagecoach across the inside of the doorway.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Edit: Nevermind, got the achievement.

Protip fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 31, 2010

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
For those of you trying to do dangerous things/not so dangerous things with a wanted level/whatever. A nice little trick I found is that when you use a Horse Deed, it saves your game. However, you can't use a Horse Deed if you already have that Deed's type (if you have your Hungarian Half Bred, you can't use the Hungarian Half Bred Deed). However, if you carry two deeds, you can effectively cycle the horses and save your game whenever you want to. I've found this to be pr. useful way of saving my way up to $2,500 bounty. Admittedly, when you reload you'll respawn at the nearest safehouse, but that's not so bad.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I got the Bronco achievement by killing everyone in Chuparosa, walking out, Mexican Army found my trail (one poor, lone guy on a horse) and killing him. Easiest achievement ever.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

bear is driving! posted:

Did anyone else murder Ross's family after talking to them? I shot his wife after she told me where he was, and then his brother after talking to him. gently caress 'em.

I also went from honorable hero of the west to murderous villain after becoming Jack.

I set his wife on fire and she screamed like you would expect, it made me feel a lot better. I let his brother live because he implied that Ross was a dick and he seemed ok

Morter posted:

I never thought I could get much more satisfaction out of the game since beating it, but I've proven myself wrong.

Since deciding to 100% the game, I went through costume objectives, including "Bust out the entire Blackwater poker table". Having tried an accumulated hour or so just to get a 2000 chip hand in the past, I knew there'd be some hard-loving-times, so I kept trying my luck by going to the table to wait until there was only one person left (and whenever there wasn't, just violently shove the 2-4 people that were there, then go far enough to have the table reload). Finally I came upon the table when Visor "4-Eyes" McCheatdick was the only one there. Somehow, only a few hands in, I came upon a full house that turned into a 4 of a kind, which I quickly went All In, as did he. In one fell swoop, I busted him out. He left.

The satisfaction came in the 5+ minutes (really, that's a long time) I spent shoving his body into metal objects, window panes, and tables. Even more funny was pressing B as he fell to hear a "Howdy, Mister!" only to have his body, about half the time, instantly snap into a standing position and greet me back like I wasn't harassing him. I did so until I chased him clear out of Blackwater.

Now I have experienced Redemption! :arghfist::clint:

I cant figure out the poker rules at all in this game but I somehow managed this challenge in about 5 minutes by bluffing the poo poo out of everyone at the table. It seems that if they bet fairly low on the first round then suddenly very high then they have a good hand but if they either bet consistently low or bet high to start with then just go all in and you win every time.
Also liars dice is the best game ever I'm going to buy a bunch of dice and play it with some friends.

Solly fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 31, 2010

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Solly posted:

Also liars dice is the best game ever I'm going to buy a bunch of dice and play it with some friends.

Provide NERF revolvers for maximum effect

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've played this game for hours and it's still surprising me.

I was just wondering to myself, "Why haven't I seen any snakes in this game? It's mostly one great big desert." And sure enough, five minutes later, something I can't see starts killing me.

Speaking of being startled in the wilderness, I've survived about half a dozen cougar attacks at this point, and they scare the bejeezus out of me each time. Animals are so cool.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I fear cougars way more than bears. Those fuckers have deadly reach.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
but you never see cougars, especially when you are trying to hunt them which is damned near impossible with a knife. Bears are all over the place in tall trees anyway. It seems that every time I bend down to skin something, even if there are no bears for miles around as soon as I stand up again I'm getting raped by five of the assholes and my horse is already dead so I have no option but to stand there and die fighting.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
Since Mexico, my good guy John has been getting a hefty bounty. It's weird how the game makes you do some pretty drat deplorable things in missions. Makes me go on a bit of a killing spree once it's over too, suddenly turning on the soldiers. Reyes seems pretty cool, I hope you help him later.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bobcats.

Anyone know where I can find me some dem Bobcats?

Edit: Never you mind, looks like this Red Dead Map that got included with the game is going to come in handy after all!

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 1, 2010

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Fuzz posted:

You get a trophy for it.

It's also funny as poo poo

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Heti posted:

So did anyone watch the tv special or was everyone too busy actually playing the game?

I guess I'll take the zero responses as a no then. I can't find any mention of it's quality or any evidence of it actually airing so I guess it was pretty mediocre then.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Heti posted:

I guess I'll take the zero responses as a no then. I can't find any mention of it's quality or any evidence of it actually airing so I guess it was pretty mediocre then.

It was pretty much just cutscenes and 1-2 (pretty meh) action scenes leading up to the attack on Fort Mercer

Edit: I'm under the impression that you have to get the bounties alive for them to count in 100%. Since no one's mentioning alive or not, and I certainly don't need the money (I'm in post game), can I just shoot every bounty?

Morter fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 1, 2010

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
So I just found out that my internet connection has finally been fixed.

What goon metatag is still open? I promise not to shoot anyone in the back*

*I'm going to shoot you in the back

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Does anyone else wanna grind Twin Rocks? On xbox I'm "dizzygillespi" I am at level 32 and I just want the goddamned bull. And yes I know its slow and ect. but I want it dammit.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
Sometimes trying to be the "good guy" is frustrating.

"Help someone stole my horse!"
<chases down and hogties horse thief>
<puts thief on back of horse, lassos second horse, brings everyone back to Armadillo>
"Thanks mister!"
<Horse thief evaporates into thin air>

Or my personal favorite, especially because it takes so many more button presses than just shooting them:
Marshal: "You gotta help me mister, the prisoners broke loose and escaped!"

<run down and hogtie both prisoners which takes about 10 steps per prisoner>

Marshal: "Thanks mister, that sure was a big help" <takes out pistol and shoots hogtied prisoners>
<starts hobbling down the road>

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

GenoCanSing posted:

Does anyone else wanna grind Twin Rocks? On xbox I'm "dizzygillespi" I am at level 32 and I just want the goddamned bull. And yes I know its slow and ect. but I want it dammit.
I hope it has "YES" and "NO" written on its asscheeks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of cougars, I just met my first one and got my poo poo pushed in hard :psyduck:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FuSchnick posted:

<puts thief on back of horse, lassos second horse, brings everyone back to Armadillo>
"Thanks mister!"

Or my personal favorite, especially because it takes so many more button presses than just shooting them:

Marshal: "Thanks mister, that sure was a big help" <takes out pistol and shoots hogtied prisoners>

Do you know if you actually get any kind of reward for bringing them back alive (honor fame or money)? I stopped trying to bring them in alive long ago, I just shoot them now, even though I am trying to be a good guy.

Horse thieves are the most annoying - once you bring the horse back you have to wait for the guy to finish thanking you and then slowly get back on his horse and ride away. If you just bring him the horse and take off, you'll fail the mission because you'll go out of range before the game has decided that the guy has actually reclaimed his horse.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do you know if you actually get any kind of reward for bringing them back alive (honor fame or money)? I stopped trying to bring them in alive long ago, I just shoot them now, even though I am trying to be a good guy.

You get honor for bringing them in alive, but you don't lose any for killing them. Once I got high enough honor I just stopped caring enough to bring them in alive.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

You get honor for bringing them in alive, but you don't lose any for killing them. Once I got high enough honor I just stopped caring enough to bring them in alive.

Ah. Yeah, honor builds up quickly enough that I think I can live with sacrificing a few opportunities if it means I don't have to chase down some random jerks and hogtie them.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

FuSchnick posted:

"Thanks mister!"

Last lawman I came across, I shot both prisoners, then halfway through him thanking me, I put a bullet in his head.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Mastiff posted:

I've played this game for hours and it's still surprising me.

I was just wondering to myself, "Why haven't I seen any snakes in this game? It's mostly one great big desert." And sure enough, five minutes later, something I can't see starts killing me.

Speaking of being startled in the wilderness, I've survived about half a dozen cougar attacks at this point, and they scare the bejeezus out of me each time. Animals are so cool.

Snakes have been a top killer of my horses(besides forcing them off cliffs and shooting them in the head). I leap off my horse to kill some guys, it wanders away and its dead.

Just now I walked into a ruined house and "I don't understand imnfinity" is written on the wall.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The honor system is really flunky at times. 100 honor for disarming someone after you were caught cheating at cards, but only 10 for bringing a criminal in alive?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jigoku San posted:

Just now I walked into a ruined house and "I don't understand imnfinity" is written on the wall.

That's the cheat code for infinite dead-eye.

And if someone doesn't find the cheat for constant drunkenness soon, I'm going to hold some Rockstar employees hostage until they tell me. Anyone with me on this?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I wish you could find cougars when you were actually looking for them. I've been trying to get the drat cougar cabin in Tanner's Reach or whatever to work for an hour and it's not magically spawning the 15 cougars advertised on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Cat Machine posted:

The honor system is really flunky at times. 100 honor for disarming someone after you were caught cheating at cards, but only 10 for bringing a criminal in alive?

Not killing a guy when it's perfectly acceptable to do os ( a duel ) vs. hunting someone down for money seems more honorable to me.

Also, I'm having a hard time finishing the Single Player because I can't be on more than 20 minutes without getting an MP invite... which I just can't seem to refuse. :argh:

• Locked thread