Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

George?! :psyduck:

Summary from elsewhere:

quote:

I can't give a full translation right now, but I did read it so I can answer this quickly:

The coach asks Miguel, "Are you dissatisfied with the results? Are you here to ask for a rematch?" Miguel says, "And if I did...?" The coach tells him that he would refuse because Ippo could not possibly win against Woli again. In fact, he attributes Ippo's victory to Woli's inexperience and the difference in their careers.

Miguel laughs it off and says he's not upset about losing the match or here to demand a rematch but rather to give thanks to Kamogawa and Kamogawa's boy. (The bananas are from Woli.)

Then Miguel says that Ippo and the coach are like peas in a pod and that Ippo's perseverance comes from studying under Kamogawa. His final line, in part about that perseverance is "However, that strength is also his weakness. Someday you two will meet misfortune." The text on the side says, "What's the true meaning of Miguel's ominous prediction?"
I'm definitely siding with Ippo having some long-term injury as a result of this or something :dance: Whenever Mori pulls out poo poo like this, it gets addressed ASAP (ie: it probably won't be foreshadowing 200 chapters ahead, aka round 2 of his next match).

Still kinda bums me out to see it said, but he pretty much says there's no way Ippo would beat Woli again :smith: Say what you will, but I don't like seeing that sorta stuff. Kinda like there's some barrier he can't pass simply because he isn't a "genius". Also, if he's unable to hold a candle to Woli in a rematch, how in the hell will he ever deal with the LAST BOSS? :v:

Geop fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 25, 2010

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Geop posted:

Also, if he's unable to hold a candle to Woli in a rematch, how in the hell will he ever deal with the LAST BOSS? :v:

Rocky didn't win in the first movie. But...then again, he did face several caricature boxers in the 3rd and 4th. Hmm

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Secret Machine posted:

Rocky didn't win in the first movie. But...then again, he did face several caricature boxers in the 3rd and 4th. Hmm
Yeah but Rocky beat MISTER loving T. Ippo is having trouble with :3:-boy :smith:

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Geop posted:

Yeah but Rocky beat MISTER loving T.

After getting his rear end beat the first time.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Jedah posted:

Well played sir, well played. I hope they can recover from hurricane Ippo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I hope that Woli's trainer is wrong and Ippo is totally fine, but Woli is somehow crippled for life. Ippo can't possibly win a rematch because he wouldn't punch a guy in a wheelchair.

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine

Serious Frolicking posted:

I hope that Woli's trainer is wrong and Ippo is totally fine, but Woli is somehow crippled for life. Ippo can't possibly win a rematch because he wouldn't punch a guy in a wheelchair.

But no you see WOLI IS A GENUIS

GET BACK HERE

I'LL ROLL YOUR TOES INTO A PULP

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

frabba posted:

After getting his rear end beat the first time.

... which should have happened to ippo here.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Geop posted:

George?! :psyduck:
Joji, so they nicknamed him George.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I hope that the 'disaster' is that Ippo will get injured if he has to many more of these fights, so he can't keep going so loving slow on his path to the World. Hopefully it'll speed him up so he doesn't defend the Japanese title a million more loving times

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Jedah posted:

Wait who else did Zail train aside from Hawk and Woli?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Anderson! :v:

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/895/01/

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Watch as Ippo magically gets out of the fight without any long term injuries!

"You mean I don't have brain damage? Gank Thoodness.."

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
best summation of the fight period.

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/895/08/

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Raw is out.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Augh. Needs a translation ASAP :psyduck: Also, it seems that raws have their insider source again :3: Raw Paradise usually snuck out releases early; if I'm not mistaken, these are supposed to go on sale on Wednesdays in Japan, but they'd always get online on Sunday (presumably when they start printing them).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Infinitum posted:

Raw is out.

I'm not sure crushing a banana is exactly an effective display of anger.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Fabricated posted:

I'm not sure crushing a banana is exactly an effective display of anger.

it's actually pretty funny in-context

The stuff about Ippo's potential for long-term injuries isn't gone into with too much deth; I'm sure we'll see more about it later on, though, if only through a new training setup.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Training arc PLLEEEAAAASE :( Ippo's training arcs completely vanished. I liked seeing him improve. I demand he spar against Welterweights and kick their asses like he did in the past :colbert: He hasn't displayed much badassery.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Fabricated posted:

best summation of the fight period.

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/895/08/

Didn't he also comment on all the crap woli was doing by yelling "What the hell is this bullshit" a bunch of chapters ago?

Takamura,he calls it like it is.

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"

Infinitum posted:

Raw is out.

I don't think bananas work like that

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

VgameT posted:

I don't think bananas work like that

Tekken Squeeze :smug:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What?! Has he been squishing bananas with his bare hands?!
Come on coach noone would be that stupid! He uses a hammer!
Y-yeah.. stupid..

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Any news on more raws or translations?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/896/01/

I hate you, Morikawa. I would have been happy if Woli appeared injured and demoralized AT ALL, instead you threaten us with a possible future appearance. :mad:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Oh gently caress this

"ippo gets punched like a million times every fight maybe you as a trainer should stop trying to push your failed ambitions onto him and throw in the towel so he's not Literally Retarded five years from now"

"no dude it's cool he can take it because he is Japanese Superior"

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
TWELVE PAGES?!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
It's cool guys you should read Toriko, plenty of fighting & action, drunken manly men, muscly manly men, girly manly men, strange worlds and even stranger creatures, tons of hilarious gags, and ridiculous amounts of FOOD.

So, on a positive note, Hajime No Ippo sucking this much is kinda good in a way. It makes me see how bad the writing is, and I've found lots of alternative manga I never would have given a chance.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 7, 2010

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Toriko is even gayer than HnI, though.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Serious Frolicking posted:

Toriko is even gayer than HnI, though.

But its gay in a cool way. Like HnI makes me afraid to express my gayness, whereas Toriko makes me want to be actively gayer.

Derails aside, what the gently caress is this page about : http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/896/03/

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

An Outland Dish posted:

Derails aside, what the gently caress is this page about : http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/896/03/

I'm not exactly sure. But apparently, that banana is made out of cardboard. It's even got little creases in it instead of being crushed into paste.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

He squished the banana and didn't want it to go to waste so he ate it. You could take it as some kind of symbolism to go with the conversation but all I'm getting is if the coach breaks Ippo he'll eat Ippo's banana.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its not a banana is a plantain , thats why he couldn't crush it cause green plantains are really hard.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its not a banana is a plantain , thats why he couldn't crush it cause green plantains are really hard.

Wow, you are right. Thanks, I've learned something from the Woli fight after all.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Well it looks like we're getting a rematch sometime in the future. What new gimmick will Woli come back with? Maybe he'll be a switch hitter. Maybe he'll have some crazy rear end dodge where he slips under and between Ippo's legs to get behind him and trap him in the corner. I don't even know what the gently caress anymore.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nahxela posted:

Well it looks like we're getting a rematch sometime in the future. What new gimmick will Woli come back with? Maybe he'll be a switch hitter. Maybe he'll have some crazy rear end dodge where he slips under and between Ippo's legs to get behind him and trap him in the corner. I don't even know what the gently caress anymore.

Maybe he will increase his weight class in the ring by grunting and flexing, becoming a heavyweight in 20 seconds that take 3 chapters. Alternately, he will take a hint from Otokojuku and begin boxing using the ancient chinese martial art of sending in three deadly baboons.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I expect this to come up in the Miyata fight. "Is that a banana in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?" "Actually, it's a plantain."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

An Outland Dish posted:

I expect this to come up in the Miyata fight. "Is that a banana in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?" "Actually, it's a plantain."

this post is actually foreshadowing for chapter 897