Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Can someone explain these legendary animal hunts to me? Are they an MP thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
They're part of the Master Hunter challenges which you can do in both SP and MP (obviously more fun in MP)

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

roffle posted:

They're part of the Master Hunter challenges which you can do in both SP and MP (obviously more fun in MP)

Oh cool! I'm one cougar away from rank 5 in SP, so I guess I'll see them soon or something.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

roffle posted:

no, I'm done with the story and on one of the stranger missions where you have to get a white stallion for this fruitcake so he'll free the Chinese guy. Except he could have just been my 1,594th kill. The storyline aside, I wish they didn't make it so all the people you do missions for are so goddamned dislikable, I wish there were more like that old guy in Mexico

Although they obviously laid on the bleakness with a pretty heavy trowel I actually love the fact that Marston just seems so exhaustedly resigned to all the poo poo he encounters.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

War Pig posted:

Endgame/outfits spoilers: is it at all possible to use the US Marshall outfit as John? It gets discovered with the final mission, right? I kinda want to run around with John as a Marshal. My interpretation of Jack is too evil and spiteful of the law to use it.

You unlock the outfit by completing the final storyline mission, so no.

roffle posted:

e: relatedly by "white stallion" do they mean the Hungarian? Cause that horse looks pretty goddamned gray to me

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure it has a pop-up that tells you specifically you need the Hungarian.

Emron posted:

Can someone explain these legendary animal hunts to me? Are they an MP thing?

Not sure about MP, but ranks 9 and 10 of Master Hunter involve killing legendary animals - a jaguar for rank 9, and a bear, boar, and wolf for rank 10. It tells you where they live and you run around the location for a minute and it'll say "You have located Khan the legendary jaguar" or whatever, and they'll show up as a red dot on your minimap.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Emron posted:

Oh cool! I'm one cougar away from rank 5 in SP, so I guess I'll see them soon or something.

not too soon--like lugubrious just said, not till challenges 9 and 10.

That's gay about the Hungarian cause I'd actually found one somewhere already tamed and ridden it to that stranger mission but it disappeared, unsurprisingly

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Molothecat posted:

This is a foreign language to me.

How a metatag works is:

Someone makes a "dummy" gamertag called a "metatag". Example: RedDeadGoons

Everyone interested in joining the metatag sends a friend request to RedDeadGoons

Creator of metatag accepts whoever asks to be friended, or sometimes gives out the account info so others can expedite the request acceptance.

To use the metatag: You go to RedDeadGoons' profile, go to "View Friends", and from there, you can see what every other goon who "joined the metatag" (ie: friended the dummy gamertag) is doing and join their game.

Metatags are usually themed around the game that it's brought up in. So the purpose of RedDeadGoons is to have a bunch of goons connect with each other as though friends, without having to individually add everyone on the friends list. Get it?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

roffle posted:

why the gently caress does marston talk to assholes he hates and do missions for them instead of just killing them

Cause they gotta work the 9th pointless horse race into the game somehow.

Lilac
Dec 8, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Yodzilla posted:

It wasn't bad to be sure but I think one of my biggest problems was with the writing. For some reason Rockstar decided that if something was worth saying once it was worth saying five loving times, usually on some long unskippable horse ride. Every character had exactly one thing to say but at least three missions of boring dialog to hammer the point home over and over and over again.

Seriously....

Ross: We want you to kill these people.

Marston: What if I refuse?

Ross: We kill your wife and child.

Marston: Oh

Ross: Now, go find Bill Williamson and bring him here, preferably alive

Marston: And WHAT if I refuse

Ross: If you hope to see your wife again, you'd best do as we say.

Marston: Oh

(Finds Bill, screws up)

Ross: Yeah, now that he's holed up w/********, you should go and get him, and his companion as well.

Marston: AND WHAT IF I REFUSE

Ross: :ughh:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Cause they gotta work the 9th pointless horse race into the game somehow.

Killing people sort of got him into the mess of having his whole family threatened by the government to begin with.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Man I really dislike multiplayer trophies. I'd have a damned platinum if it wasn't for them. :kratos:

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Morter posted:

How a metatag works is:

Someone makes a "dummy" gamertag called a "metatag". Example: RedDeadGoons

Everyone interested in joining the metatag sends a friend request to RedDeadGoons

Creator of metatag accepts whoever asks to be friended, or sometimes gives out the account info so others can expedite the request acceptance.

To use the metatag: You go to RedDeadGoons' profile, go to "View Friends", and from there, you can see what every other goon who "joined the metatag" (ie: friended the dummy gamertag) is doing and join their game.

Metatags are usually themed around the game that it's brought up in. So the purpose of RedDeadGoons is to have a bunch of goons connect with each other as though friends, without having to individually add everyone on the friends list. Get it?

Now I understand!

XChrist9000 joining up!

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
god five finger fillet is so loving irritating. Does anybody know how many levels i have to win to get the unlock for the Reyes Rebels outfit

e: nvm

Pees With Boner fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 1, 2010

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Holy christ, I've been horrified yet again by this game. I know not many people care about personal experiences, but I don't think enough goons will run into this situation.

Post End-game, I was dicking around Escalera waiting for a bounty to show up (Which it never loving did), and I kicked a sickly looking dog. He starts attacking me and no matter how many kicks I did, or lassoing, I couldn't stop him from hounding (:haw:) me. So, as I ran away from him, I whipped out a knife, and as he jumped at me, I just swiped at the air once, and the dog jumped into it, and was dead before he hit the floor.

The horrificness was what Marston said in response to the fresh, tumbling dog corpse:

"I guess I miss Rufus." :gonk:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Using casual aim in free-roam is hilarious. I was trying to get the ten minute public enemy achievement and this lone person busts into El Presidio somehow and kills my four friends and I who were all focusing on them. They were using the high powered pistol and after they killed us (all of us were public enemies) they sent us each a message saying "casual aim owned you faggots".

So I try it. Holy gently caress it makes fighting other players a joke. I'm only gonna use hardcore when I'm doing gang hideouts in public matches now, otherwise it's casual.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Edge Zero posted:

So I try it. Holy gently caress it makes fighting other players a joke. I'm only gonna use hardcore when I'm doing gang hideouts in public matches now, otherwise it's casual.

I'm pretty certain that it doesn't work on enemies who have Expert mode activated. Which is awesome.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Got the "2 lawmen chase a convict" blue dot in Mexico and one of the Federales shot his partner in the head.

Universe Master fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 1, 2010

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Edge Zero posted:

Using casual aim in free-roam is hilarious. I was trying to get the ten minute public enemy achievement and this lone person busts into El Presidio somehow and kills my four friends and I who were all focusing on them. They were using the high powered pistol and after they killed us (all of us were public enemies) they sent us each a message saying "casual aim owned you faggots".

We pissed this dude off the other day very extremely by jokingly suggesting that he was using casual aim. He took it as the greatest insult to his character.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Earlier one of the people in our posse came across a bunch of douchebags in Fort Mercer or something roleplaying as the US Army. I wish I'd been there

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

vote_no posted:

I'm pretty certain that it doesn't work on enemies who have Expert mode activated. Which is awesome.

If anyone can confirm this, please loving do because I really like hardcore aim and if I can use it without getting unfairly-buttfucked, then that would be swell.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Finally got Redeemed (100% :toot:), and celebrated with my new FBI digs, beating up a colored person, then playing 1v1 poker with another one of those cheating blackwater players, bust him out..

and then I beat him up too!

:clint: Life is sweet.

vvvEditvvv: Only 3, not 20. :ssh:

Morter fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 1, 2010

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
hahaha I just realized you can go up to the professor's hotel room in the Blackwater Hotel and it's just as he left it, with the suitcase on the bed and 10 or 12 empty liquor bottles. Seems like they would have cleaned up sometime in the 20 years that's elapsed since then.

transient
Apr 7, 2005

The Wise Teen posted:

I wish you could find cougars when you were actually looking for them. I've been trying to get the drat cougar cabin in Tanner's Reach or whatever to work for an hour and it's not magically spawning the 15 cougars advertised on youtube.

I didn't see anyone else answer this. The bunch that spawn upon entering Tanner's Reach only do so in MP. You can still find them up around there, but I've never actually seen one at Tanner's Reach (but in Tall Trees and other places) during SP.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone, folks:

The Red Dead Wiki on the Knife claims that you can block (most) animal attacks with the knife?! Holy poo poo, I must now re-kill everything and test this out.

Edit: :siren: NOT AGAINST BEARS :gibs:

FBI costume complaint. Endgame spoilers: Are you loving kidding me? The costume is made for Jack, who's the only person who can reach 100%, and the front brim of the hat is clipped through by his stupid thick caveman forehead. REALLY?! It's the only tangible reward for 100%ing the game, and it's hosed up? Wow.

Morter fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 1, 2010

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Couldn't you use the cheat code to get the Marshal Uniform before the end of the game? The code is I LOVE A MAN IN UNIFORM. Gets the Marshal Uniform, the Bureau Uniform, and the Army uniform. You couldn't save, but you could mess around with them before the end.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
holy poo poo I have yet another newfound love for this game: riding into Thieves Landing in the elegant suit on the white Hungarian horse and killing everybody in sight

...while, of course, blasting the Boondock Saints theme (lovely quality)

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
As much as I love every other aspect of this game, it's the first console game I've played that's had bugs bad enough to really piss me off. Playing it for a few hours tonight, and it developed an issue where all of the horses attaches to wagons/carts are clipped slightly into the ground. This means that the carts/wagons just stay in place and vibrate violently, making almost all missions involving them impossible to play.

But I played on anyway, because I had gotten to some good parts...

Only to find that it had silently disabled my ability to save about three hours back, for no known reason. (no cheats enabled) So every time it gave me the automatic "Saving" notice, it was lying. The auto save had worked so reliably previously, and I was on such a roll with the Mexico missions, that I wasn't partaking in my usual obsessive-compulsive constant manual saves.

"(Y) Sleep? Doesn't it usually say Save there?... gently caress."

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Red Dead Redemption: Now with 100% more Wilhelm Scream

I hope the first patch fixes it so everything you kill does the wilhelm scream.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 1, 2010

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
How I Completed the Rank 10 Sharpshooter Challenge
by: Lord_Pigeonbane

Once upon a time, I stumbled across a group of banditos sitting around a campfire, and a shootout ensued. During this shootout, I scored five disarms with my Evans Repeater, and my deadeye. I wanted that one last disarm, and I figured that it would count as a reload if I put my weapon away.

Then I had an idea...

Chuparosa was right up the hill.

I continued to hold down the aim button, as I moseyed up to the town. This kept me from putting my gun away. When I got there, I pointed my repeater at various people until one of them pointed his gun at me.

So, I shot it out of his hands.

How I Completed the Rank 8 Master Hunter Challenge

Someone in one of these threads suggested that you try to drive-by knife bears from horseback. So, I gave this a try, as soon as I was ready for this challenge. I found a bear, spurred my horse forward, and took a swipe.

Blood was drawn. This seemed too easy. I felt bad for taking such a cheap shot. I figured that there is no shame in failing your first attempt, so I got off my horse to fight in a more honorable manner.

The bear charged over, and killed my horse.

Then a mighty struggle ensued. Looking back on it, I'm surprised that I was as lucky as I was. I'm surprised that no other bears blindsided me during the fight. I'm surprised that the fight lasted as long as it did.

I'm surprised that the bear never attacked me.

I chased that bear all over Tall Trees, trying to scratch it to death with my little knife. I tried using my combat roll to get up along side him, and cut at his flank. This worked once, but then the bear got wise to my tactics, and never let that trick work a second time.

In the end, I managed to catch him when he was momentarily stuck on some scenery. I stabbed the gently caress out of him, and completed the challenge.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

How I Completed the Rank 8 Master Hunter Challenge

My rank 8 master hunter was a bit more frustrating (but perhaps more humorous): every single time I tried, I'd hit a bear a few times, I'd be circling around it when a second, heretofore unseen bear would leap from offscreen and tackle me, then the bear I was already fighting would close for the killing blow before I could stand.

This happened five times. "Alright bear, it's just you and meaarrghghghghhhhh not again"

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Guys I found the perfect solution to cougars.

Get rank 5 Hunter where you need to kill them. I haven't seen a single one in the past 5 hours.

EDIT: 5 not 6 my mistake

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 1, 2010

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

doctor 7 posted:

Guys I found the perfect solution to cougars.

Get rank 6 Hunter where you need to kill them. I haven't seen a single one in the past 5 hours.

This happened to me, too. I finished rank 4 before doing any West Dickens missions. Then I didn't see a cougar until after I completed Mexico.

Edit: You tricked me! The cougar one was rank 5!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I must be profoundly bad at deadeye or something because I've got to shoot hats off dudes' heads and I can't help but headshot them instead :(

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Martytoof posted:

I must be profoundly bad at deadeye or something because I've got to shoot hats off dudes' heads and I can't help but headshot them instead :(

Aim for the brim of the hat!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Martytoof posted:

The Walton's guys with the big tophots are better for that since there's more room for error that won't kill them.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, the deadeye tends to autoaim a bit. Just find someone stationary, get up somewhat close with a rifle, and shoot the side brim of their hat, not the top.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lugubrious posted:

My rank 8 master hunter was a bit more frustrating (but perhaps more humorous): every single time I tried, I'd hit a bear a few times, I'd be circling around it when a second, heretofore unseen bear would leap from offscreen and tackle me, then the bear I was already fighting would close for the killing blow before I could stand.

This happened five times. "Alright bear, it's just you and meaarrghghghghhhhh not again"

I cheated and shot the bear in it's side with the buffalo rifle once, then took out my LeMat and shot it twice in one of its hindlegs so it was a little slower. It mostly ran from me, so there I was, a lone man with matted hair and a torn shirt (treasure hunter gang) with holes in his shoes, running down the side of a snowy mountain chasing a bear while flailing a knife wildly. Eventually caught up to him and managed to knife him to death, but it was a pretty hilariously ridiculous scene.

Then when I had to kill Brumas the legendary bear, I rode up to him on my horse and unloaded all 5 shells from my Auto-5 into his face. :colbert:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 1, 2010

Arclight
Jan 26, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Alternatively, use a sniper rifle and just aim for the top of the hat while zoomed in and in Dead Eye. I was able to get that challenge by clearing out Tesoro Azul and shooting two of those giant sombreros off some Mexicans who were quite far away.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Sankis posted:

The Walton's guys with the big tophots are better for that since there's more room for error that won't kill them.

Or big Mexican sombreros.

I tried for like half an hour to get Lobo the wolf to spawn for the final hunter challenge, and that sonofabitch will not pop. Goddamn. I'll try again tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

roffle posted:

hahaha I just realized you can go up to the professor's hotel room in the Blackwater Hotel and it's just as he left it, with the suitcase on the bed and 10 or 12 empty liquor bottles. Seems like they would have cleaned up sometime in the 20 years that's elapsed since then.

endgame Check a newspaper's date vs the two tombstone dates, it's only been 3 years

• Locked thread