Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
oh poo poo it never occured to me to use the lasso :doh: gotta try that next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Laughing Man posted:

No, I was just being a dick. Your knife is too short to kill that cougar on the ground. But since I mentioned it a saber wouldn't have been a bad thing to include.

Loads of dicks in this thread now anyway. The Bobcat, I only ever shot and skinned one once, spotted another but I was too busy riding my arse to the next mission. Is it the same sound sample they use for both or is the Cougar a lot deeper?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

oh poo poo it never occured to me to use the lasso :doh: gotta try that next time.

Yeah, I used the lasso to get my cougars and bear. Just snag them with it and immediately switch to your knife- you can't capture them with it, it's just the lasso distracts them momentarily so you can run up and stab them before they can react to you. The lasso is also useful if they decide to run away, because it will stop them and you can catch up.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Omnicarus posted:

There is a claymore? How did I miss this? It is a preorder DLC or just in the vanilla game? If the latter where?

After the switchblade but before the katana. Don't even try for it unless you've done the Ninja clan stranger missions, though.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Universe Master posted:

After the switchblade but before the katana. Don't even try for it unless you've done the Ninja clan stranger missions, though.

Great. May as well have added a loving A-10 or Spectre Gunship in the game. I really like this game so far but honestly once I get to loving ninja missions I may just quit the game entirely.

I know Rockstar loves being off the wall, but ninjas? Seriously? Its a loving western game not Just Cause 2.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Omnicarus posted:

Great. May as well have added a loving A-10 or Spectre Gunship in the game. I really like this game so far but honestly once I get to loving ninja missions I may just quit the game entirely.

I know Rockstar loves being off the wall, but ninjas? Seriously? Its a loving western game not Just Cause 2.

I hope someone JUST bought you your title.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Universe Master posted:

Is there some Yakuza 3 being crap bleed over I'm missing or what? It really was crap, like GTA 3 only I have to deal with children... that is another thing the ... ... ... ... ... ...

Bloody hell at least make an effort and no I will not buy part 4, because 3 was an insult on my intelligence, how dare you cut things deemed unworthy of us.. I want everything. Honestly, gently caress you Japan if you think we cannot understand it then neither can you.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

The ninja missions aren't as bad as you're expecting. Sure, they're a little shallow and the character development in respects to the Ninja Clan you encounter could have used some fleshing out, but the Katana is a considerable upgrade from the standard hunting knife and you can deflect bullets in Dead Eye mode.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You aren't deflecting bullets, you're cutting them in half.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

ahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh dear.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

AndyElusive posted:

The ninja missions aren't as bad as you're expecting. Sure, they're a little shallow and the character development in respects to the Ninja Clan you encounter could have used some fleshing out, but the Katana is a considerable upgrade from the standard hunting knife and you can deflect bullets in Dead Eye mode.

Not as good as the generic "lightsaber" you find on the crashed alien spaceship, but that's not found until near the end of the game and after you fight the hardest fight (the time traveling Nazis) so it doesn't help as much.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Question regarding the Ninja Clan outfit: How the hell am I supposed to stealth kill everyone in the Armadillo saloon without anyone spotting me? I mean this is loving poo poo, the main saloon itself is pretty easy because you can just use throwing stars from the balcony, but the poker room is loving impossible because there's always someone looking in your direction. What am I missing here?

Ugh, I'm trading this game away first thing tomorrow. gently caress this poo poo.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

AndyElusive posted:

I like the Ninja stars, even though they're the same thing as the throwing knife.

Paint-Drinking Pete
Apr 9, 2009
As far as single-player dlc goes it would be cool if they made a Lost and The Damned style expansion where you play as Dutch and get to terrorize Black Water with your new gang. Dutch seemed like a badass and didn't get enough screen time.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Okay peeps, free amazon code for GOLD GUNS OF JUSTICE!

UM9H-AWEM-4A3E-VQEB

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't tell who is trolling and who is retarded :(

back to my horse question-its an achievement to unlock if you use the same horse in 20 straight missions? Or is it something in game? I can't find a mention of it

edit-found it, it's an achievement. Sorry rappy horse, you're getting replaced!

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 1, 2010

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Paint-Drinking Pete posted:

As far as single-player dlc goes it would be cool if they made a Lost and The Damned style expansion where you play as Dutch and get to terrorize Black Water with your new gang. Dutch seemed like a badass and didn't get enough screen time.

I wouldn't mind more John Marston action, or maybe a Quick and the Dead rip-off with Bonnie and a corrupt official playing the role of Gene Hackman. Hang 'em High rip-off DLC too please.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.
Hey! Let's get some Soloman's Folly grind going. I'm getting on right now, so any PSN users that want to get their mindless grind on in a ginormous posse that clears hideouts in roughly 40 seconds @ ~1300XP p/run, get in this poo poo.

Rawdawg_

Also,

roffle posted:

For rank 10 survivalist I just did it while I was doing other poo poo. You see a flower, pick it. I think it would have felt like a lot longer if I'd actively been searching out all 10 varieties of flowers. Except for the 10 violet snowdrops, it's something that you'll probably complete most of during the normal course of dicking around shooting birds which is essentially all I do in this having beaten the storyline

Rank 10 Survivalist wasn't hard at all. Just do a little research on where all the flowers are, get a bitchin' covered wagon and leisurely cruise around the awesome countryside picking flowers and busting caps.

And if this is in Single Player with the Survivalist Map available, then there's just no excuse to whine at all. :colbert: I did Survivalist 7-10 yesterday in MP without a hitch - not trying to sound like a douche, just saying...

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 1, 2010

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
You guys arent thinking DLC enough.

Motherfucking Back to the Future as Martie Mcfly and Doc. Gotta get the DeLorean hooked up and on the rails TO THE FUTURE BITCHES

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Lando posted:

Okay peeps, free amazon code for GOLD GUNS OF JUSTICE!

UM9H-AWEM-4A3E-VQEB

Yoink. Thank you kindly.

Edit: Obligatory "fastest codeslinger west of the Mississippi" comment here.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

End-ish of game spoilers: Did anyone else get a kind of Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse now vibe from Dutch? He kind of reminded me of Colonel Kurtz, what with the whole going crazy and surrounding himself with a gang of natives thing.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
I haven't seen anyone else mention this before, but in the mine, did anyone else come across a really huge fat guy that took like more than 6 shots to kill?

That's one thing I always thought was good of Rockstar for doing with their games is not making 'boss' characters that take like 30 times as many shots as the normal grunts. They're just people in charge, not superhumans.

But in this case I thought it was hilarious that when I saw this random huge fat guy he could sustain way more than anyone else. I especially thought it's odd that it seems like he's the only one I've seen in the 10 or so hours I've played.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
So I accidentally pushed "B" while in Blackwater and marston says "howdy" to a Chinese guy. He responded with "Herro!"

Smooth Rockstar, smooooth.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Holy Cheese posted:

Loads of dicks in this thread now anyway. The Bobcat, I only ever shot and skinned one once, spotted another but I was too busy riding my arse to the next mission. Is it the same sound sample they use for both or is the Cougar a lot deeper?
I suddenly can't recall, but I think that bobcats have that pissed-off-cat-growl sound. They're mostly silent, and very prevalent between Beecher's Hope and Tall Trees, and surrounding areas.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I suddenly can't recall, but I think that bobcats have that pissed-off-cat-growl sound. They're mostly silent, and very prevalent between Beecher's Hope and Tall Trees, and surrounding areas.

They also tend to flee a lot more and roam in packs kind of like Wolves. They're all over Nuevo Paraiso, just not when you're looking for them.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Holy poo poo, I just got to WE and it's loving Rockstar: Big Game Hunter over here. I LOVE IT.

I just chain killed like 10 bears while hunting elk. Also, I found one of those campsite murderer guys:

"Hey there fella, care to join us?"
*Buffalo Rifle Headhot*
Marston: Who the hell do you think you're talking to?
:haw:

Edit: loving bear hunting with a broomhandle mauser. I love this game.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 1, 2010

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lando posted:

You guys arent thinking DLC enough.

Motherfucking Back to the Future as Martie Mcfly and Doc. Gotta get the DeLorean hooked up and on the rails TO THE FUTURE BITCHES

I would've given ANYTHING for a mission where you can drive the train down some unfinished tracks and into Clayton Eastwood Ravine

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So I was pretty happy with my horse, broke it in myself, blackish colour, think it was as fast as they come (never looked into it much, that indicates a fast breed, right) only I finished clearing Pike's basin out and it dropped dead as I was riding to my next waypoint, no enemies around or anything. Maybe I can run forensics on the skin or something, but is that meant to happen?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

BizarroAzrael posted:

So I was pretty happy with my horse, broke it in myself, blackish colour, think it was as fast as they come (never looked into it much, that indicates a fast breed, right) only I finished clearing Pike's basin out and it dropped dead as I was riding to my next waypoint, no enemies around or anything. Maybe I can run forensics on the skin or something, but is that meant to happen?

Something similar happened to me as well. :(

I guess your supposed to take the GTA route and not claim any particular car (or this case, mount) as your own, just call one whenever you need it. I still don't see any purpose to buying a horse at the store either...

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

GruntyThrst posted:

Holy poo poo, I just got to WE and it's loving Rockstar: Big Game Hunter over here. I LOVE IT.

I just chain killed like 10 bears while hunting elk. Also, I found one of those campsite murderer guys:

Yea the bear spawns in WE are ridiculous. I littered an area with bear corpses (around 50, started with full Buffalo Rifle ammo, used 50 rounds) but couldn't skin any because the fuckers just kept spawning so I gave up :(

Lilac
Dec 8, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Holy Cheese posted:

Bloody hell at least make an effort and no I will not buy part 4, because 3 was an insult on my intelligence, how dare you cut things deemed unworthy of us.. I want everything. Honestly, gently caress you Japan if you think we cannot understand it then neither can you.

A sane person doing the cutting would certainly improve 99% of all japanese games ever made

Lilac fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 1, 2010

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Something similar happened to me as well. :(

I guess your supposed to take the GTA route and not claim any particular car (or this case, mount) as your own, just call one whenever you need it. I still don't see any purpose to buying a horse at the store either...

So when one dies...you can call another with your deed of the exact kind you want. When you do so it saves the game. When you lose a 3-star horse and whistle for a new ride a 2-star horse will gallop up.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

So I finally found the ninja stranger mission where the guy in the hat starts telling you about how he's spied on you then takes off like a phantom. He wants me to go stop a guy from cheating on his wife. Wonderful, now I get to ride around being a patsy for the ninja boss.

I loved this game for the first few missions but I think I'm going to take it back on my way to work this afternoon. Ninjas, swords, and apparently throwing stars(?) in a western game just bother me in a way that I can't reconcile in my head.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

End-ish of game spoilers: Did anyone else get a kind of Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse now vibe from Dutch? He kind of reminded me of Colonel Kurtz, what with the whole going crazy and surrounding himself with a gang of natives thing.
I did get that impression, but the difference between Kurtz and Dutch is that Kurtz was a pretty normal authority figure that began to relate and form a bond with people considered the enemy. Dutch was always a pseudo-revolutionary who brought together the lost and downtrodden. Becoming a leader of angry Native Americans is an extension of who he already was.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

Kashwashwa posted:

But in this case I thought it was hilarious that when I saw this random huge fat guy he could sustain way more than anyone else. I especially thought it's odd that it seems like he's the only one I've seen in the 10 or so hours I've played.

It could just have been that the fights were tougher, but the native American enemies seemed tough as balls to me. I'd empty a few shots into one and move on, then have to dive into cover a few moments later because what the christ I shot you already he'd be up again.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

BizarroAzrael posted:

Where did you get it? The fastest horse, the American Standard, is pure-black and is only found in the last area, West Elizabeth, but there is another horse, very dark brownish black, that's a 2 star found earlier.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Omnicarus posted:

So I finally found the ninja stranger mission where the guy in the hat starts telling you about how he's spied on you then takes off like a phantom. He wants me to go stop a guy from cheating on his wife. Wonderful, now I get to ride around being a patsy for the ninja boss.

I loved this game for the first few missions but I think I'm going to take it back on my way to work this afternoon. Ninjas, swords, and apparently throwing stars(?) in a western game just bother me in a way that I can't reconcile in my head.

You do realise it isn't funny when you pretend to be in on the joke?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

You should have killed him and looted him while he was talking to you, that's where you get the Ninja Stars from and the treasure map to find the Samurai Cowboy Armor.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

BizarroAzrael posted:

That happens if you ride it too hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
So anyway, I just decided to follow a bobcat, then I lost it in the brush. Those arseholes are fast! Then I got distracted and tired. Had to say good night. A bit like this thread. Those cougars still have nothing on me. :smug:

• Locked thread