Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Yes! Just got the Mexican poncho outfit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a way to skip the "loot body" and "skin animal" animations? Sometimes when I do these the game doesn't bother showing the animation. Not sure if that's a glitch or not. It's not a huge problem, but when you're trying to clean up after a battle and have to watch John bend over 45 times it gets a little lame.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Martytoof posted:

Is there a way to skip the "loot body" and "skin animal" animations? Sometimes when I do these the game doesn't bother showing the animation. Not sure if that's a glitch or not. It's not a huge problem, but when you're trying to clean up after a battle and have to watch John bend over 45 times it gets a little lame.

Park horse on target, loot it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

404notfound posted:

What are the results of the two possible endings to the mission (3/4? through Mexico) "Captain DeSanta's Downfall"?

It doesn't really matter. Just affects some dialogue in the next few missions.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
argh I've died twice on the second treasure, I' m not sure exactly where it is and I keep sliding down rock cliffs to my death :(

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
This game pretty much shattered my expectations. I knew it would be good, but not this good. I've been playing for 36 hours, have completed almost all of the missions, but I still have so much to do, and I see no signs of quitting. The last game I played for this long without getting bored was Demon's Souls, and before that, Fallout 3. Rockstar really delivered with this game. Still haven't been able to figure out my first treasure map, though. That poo poo is vague as gently caress.

And I haven't even played multiplayer yet! I definitely need to get on that...

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Still haven't been able to figure out my first treasure map, though. That poo poo is vague as gently caress.
What is a noose usually used for? What's that giant thing next to the tree?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I don't expect a soul else to care, but I am basking in the afterglow of my just-obtained 100% completion achievement.

Paint-Drinking Pete
Apr 9, 2009
After playing some gang matches online I have to say they are really fun but it is totally bogus that they force you to play as some random person in the preset team gang and not as the character you chose in the outfitter. I don't want to be some scraggly rebelde, I want to be Dirty Dan drat it.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

mastershakeman posted:

argh I've died twice on the second treasure, I' m not sure exactly where it is and I keep sliding down rock cliffs to my death :(

Stay to the far left.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

This game pretty much shattered my expectations. I knew it would be good, but not this good. I've been playing for 36 hours, have completed almost all of the missions, but I still have so much to do, and I see no signs of quitting. The last game I played for this long without getting bored was Demon's Souls, and before that, Fallout 3. Rockstar really delivered with this game. Still haven't been able to figure out my first treasure map, though. That poo poo is vague as gently caress.

The first one is the least vague of all. A picture of a noose, a noose on a tree with a big rock right next to it. Hangman's Rock, north of Armadillo. The second picture is the place from a different perspective.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Timeless Appeal posted:

Dumbest horse death: Call the horse and it runs into the water and drowns.

Called for my horse in one of those little gorge pathways. A few seconds go by, I'm watching that blue arrow head towards me wondering how's going to manage it. Then the horse falls on top of me and dies.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Hondo82 posted:

The first one is the least vague of all. A picture of a noose, a noose on a tree with a big rock right next to it. Hangman's Rock, north of Armadillo. The second picture is the place from a different perspective.

This is what really confused me at first. The little "I." and "II." are both referring to the same area, with the latter being a zoomed-in, detailed view of what you need to be looking for. When I first tried to make sense of the map, I thought the treasure was hidden in the nearby rocks surrounding the actual Hanging Rock.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

If you're completely stuck there are youtube videos of all the treasure sites. But that's no fun.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Public Free Roam is loving terrible with a small group. Such a stupid design oversight on griefers it's borderline amateur. This guy keeps killing you over and over again? Lets have you spawn with him at the same spot!

It's stupid and when no one else gives a poo poo about vote kicking the guy, you're stuck with a 2/3 vote kick and because the stupid menu disappears when you respawn, you only have a few seconds to leave.

Moral of the story, don't loving bother with public free roam unless your posse is the majority, so you can kick the retards out of the game before they become a nuisance. You'll always always run into a 12-year-old being an immature shmuck.

transient
Apr 7, 2005

Still haven't been able to figure out my first treasure map, though. That poo poo is vague as gently caress.

Hahaha, what?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Martytoof posted:

If there isn't room for the animation to happen then it skips it. This can happen if the body is right up against a rock or something but the reliable way to do it is using your horse, as was said.

Nerd Grenade
Mar 27, 2010
So I just realized how perfect the song at the end after you kill Ross is. You're staring down the sights of a dead man's gun as you kill Ross since it was John's gun.

KING BONG
Aug 6, 2009
For those like myself who haven't gotten the lasso yet, keep plugging away Bonnie missions. Great thread by the way, thanks.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
What a perfect design decision, in my opinion, to (post game spoilers) make you think that you've finally achieved "redemption" for John by making him slog through this immense quest for the only authority with the power to really stop him, to finally be reunited with his family, then the law betrays him. No wonder then that most people end up playing Jack like a complete loving rear end in a top hat. I know that I dredged up the Bureau age nt's old ladyand murdered her in a way most foul, and I think tonight Armadillo might feel my wrath. I just wish Jack's voiceover could have been better.

I really don't care for laws no mo' :clint:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Nerd Grenade posted:

So I just realized how perfect the song at the end after you kill Ross is. You're staring down the sights of a dead man's gun as you kill Ross since it was John's gun.

Even better, I used the high powered pistol -- the gun that Ross gives John in Blackwater.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I guess the honeymoon is over. Just see a bunch of spoiler blocks and complaints.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the first 30 pages/thread to the last 30 pages/thread on Games.

e: I don't mean to sound like you don't have legitimate bugs and stuff. I guess it's just pre-nostalgia? I'll call it a Fryhole.

Digital Scumbag fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 2, 2010

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I could go on forever about the game's glitches, flaws, and ways that would've improved it. It doesn't mean that I'm not in love with the game, it just means I'm a nerd who thinks too hard about stupid things.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The ending couple hours of this game is simply phenomenal, and felt like Rockstar San Diego really did some game design/storytelling magic to make a memorable and seamlessly integrated videogame playing experience out of a great resolution to the story. They set an example for other videogame developers intent on making classic experiences through videogames comparable to films or books.

Great, accomplished stuff that stands heads over heals over anything GTA or most open world games attempt to reach when providing narrative consistency and thematic cohesion into the games own design.

ENDGAME SPOILERS:
Living his dream life in peace for a few days/weeks, bonding with his family, training his son, and the eventual leap in a generation I thought was some really great stuff. Yes herding cattle isn't as great as gunning down waves of Indians but I thought it accomplished its goal of putting you in Marston's life with a sense of dread over the inevitability of "justice." And the switch from John's grave to his adult son.. wow. Not even Mass Effect 2 pulled me in like that in a dramatic, compelling way.

What a great game.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
HANGING ROCK THE FIRST TREASURE IS AT HANGING ROCK. IT IS AT THE ROCK. EXACTLY WHERE THE MAP SHOWS.

Can we put that in the OP? Jesus.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I can't believe people didn't raise more of a noise about this so I'll just assume no one noticed it

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Gardias posted:

For those of you who wanted the Hic cheat, it's "i'm drunk as a skunk and twice as smelly"{

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

And it is indeed the goddamn real thing, put it in the goddamn OP. This is so glorious, guys. Gardias may your life be forever full of awesome blowjobs <3

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 2, 2010

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Mice Everywhere posted:

This + invincibility makes it fun to get shot

It's like zombie-mode. See how close you can get to the people shooting you while drunk and invincible. It's kinda hard actually.

Edit: I just got up the stairs in the Blackwater saloon in 3 minutes. Anyone think they can beat my time?

Brightman fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 2, 2010

kiph
Apr 28, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nerd Grenade posted:

What is the name of that song anyway? (sorry if its been answered already)

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjhwa65K1kM

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Got caught cheating in poker, challenged to a duel. Using the High Power I fire seven rounds into his head and the last one at his gun as it sits uselessly on the ground. "Yep, I'm a Marston" :v:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

roffle posted:

Got caught cheating in poker, challenged to a duel. Using the High Power I fire seven rounds into his head and the last one at his gun as it sits uselessly on the ground. "Yep, I'm a Marston" :v:

I dueled somebody with my Mauser pistol once, and after putting 10+ bullets in his head, his body had been knocked back a good 10 feet, with a blood trail leading from where he initially stood. :black101:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Dueling with the Broomhandle is great.

What's that? You want to duel? BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, sorry everyone who's inviting me to multiplayer games. This is really the first game where I'm too busy with singleplayer to want to switch to multiplayer. I'll go MP as soon as I'm ready :3:

PS3 Posse :clint:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

GruntyThrst posted:

Dueling with the Broomhandle is great.

What's that? You want to duel? BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM

Endgame- I felt a grim satisfaction putting eight rounds in Ross' face, from the very gun he handed to Jack's father. Felt like I made a choice that contributed to the story.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Have you ever looked at someone's corpse close up after you have one of those 8-rounds-to-the-head duels? It looks like a flower.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Yeah, you can just keep shooting them in the head for forever and turn their skulls into horrific lovecraftian cauliflower.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Red Dead Redemption: Whores, Outlaws, and Horrific Lovecraftian Cauliflower

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
"Let me tell you the story of John Marston, the lone gunman who traveled across the land, fighting for his wife and child. He defeated armies, toppled governments and killed a dozen bears with just a knife..."

So, inspired by the "Prove me wrong" thread in cinema discusso, I came up with the theory that the story of Red Dead Redemption is actually a collection of rumours, tales and legends about John that have been told and re-told, growing more fantastical each time. This explains why John can take down entire armies, everyone needs his help and he is everywhere and why his character is kind of inconsistant.

Also explains the filler missions and redundant dialogue- the writer of the story (who just collect all the stories into one book) used every story, no matter how inconsequential or unrelated and tried to make a novel out of it.

(end game spoilers) bonus theory! the writer / story collector is Jack, who based his story off his actually much less exciting father's life. John actually lives a happy life and dies of old age. The post-game content is the sequel story where Jack wrote himself in as a Gary-Stu.

Made more sense in my head I guess...

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."
Velderin looking to get in on AussieGoonPosse metatag thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
The first time I shot a dude in the head I was in dead eye.

I SWORE I saw the bullet seemingly glance off his skull and shear off most of the left side of his scalp.

After the fight, I went to examine the body.

It was true, and made me feel really gross about violence for the rest of the game.

Effective.

• Locked thread