Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GODDAMN COUGARS

I was looting a body and out of nowhere, in the middle of my looting animation, I get raped by a cougar. I survive it, kill the cougar, and go to skin it, but rather than going into the skinning animation, John just stands there, endlessly blinking and looking around. Life goes on in the background and I can still get into the menus (though not my inventory) but John won't move, he just stands there, blinking and looking, forcing me to load an earlier save.

Even in death, they're still pissing me off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
After a series of failed attempts ending in duels I seem to have killed every poker player in Blackwater.

oops v:unsmith:v

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

When I duel black guys or Mexicans I always unload the clip into their faces instead of their balls because I'm not a racist.

Not white guys though.

And certainly not END GAME SPOILER Ross

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
IF you are playing on the 360 follow these steps.

1. Get a horse and find a long flat area to ride it on
2. Pull out your pistol
3. Use the right control stick to move the camera so you are looking behind yourself
4. loving mash the gently caress out of left trigger

If done correctly John starts to twist around at high speeds and flail his arms around. Once you get the hang of it try shooting your pistol during it.

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 2, 2010

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I wish there was a small GTA 4 patch which incorporated the bullet wounds and 'gib models' from RDR. Shooting folk in RDR is so satisfying...

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
I seem to have taken a retarded step back in Dueling. I hadn't lost a single duel, mostly disarming my opponents with ease.
Now suddenly I do the same tactic as I always have - wait for them to start drawing, white close shot in their gun, win - doesn't work.

It's ok though because my game had flying bunnies and when I shot banditos riding through a town in the head, the little blood cauliflowers all stayed in the air as if to say "This is what happens"

I love this game and REALLY hope they bring out some L&D or BoGT style DLC. That's a lot of acronyms.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Some of the musical scores have maracas or something in them and I constantly find myself jumping and checking my 6 whenever I hear them.

Better safe than sorry... :(

Better red than dead. Sorry.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ainsley McTree posted:

GODDAMN COUGARS

In the middle of game development:
-Hey Joe, those cougars are the poo poo, but what can we do to make those fuckers even more powerful?
-I don't know Mike, you mean more powerful than being able to spawn out of nowhere, kill in an instant and sometimes even hunt in packs?
-...yes
-Well, we could make the cougars break the game at will, but that would be stupid.
-....excellent

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Ffffuck, switching on the drunk code while galloping full-speed on a horse doesn't result in drunk horse riding :qq: Instead, John will be 100% sober until he dismounts.

My dreams, shattered :qq:

(the drunk code is still awesome)

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.

Mister Bung posted:

I seem to have taken a retarded step back in Dueling.

Is it a story-related character? Sometimes, you're "forced" to kill them (ie: disarm won't work).

Kin posted:

You do realise it isn't funny when you pretend to be in on the joke?

Pages back, but I'm surprised nobody caught onto him. He knew you guys were loving around the whole time, and all his naive responses were intentional trolls. Gj though.

5er posted:

Endgame- I felt a grim satisfaction putting eight rounds in Ross' face, from the very gun he handed to Jack's father. Felt like I made a choice that contributed to the story.

Philip J Fry posted:

Even better, I used the high powered pistol -- the gun that Ross gives John in Blackwater.

I did the same thing, and it felt fuckin glorious. The subtlety of it was much more satisfying than any other weapon would have been. I liked the implication that with Ross' smarmy attitude in handing John the weapon, he couldn't have known that that exact firearm would be his (and in my case, his family's) undoing. Woop.

All that said, I find it pretty easy and enjoyable to follow along in immersion in this game, so I really enjoyed the story and felt that the final "hours" of the game were loving epic. Especially Dutch's portions, and then the loving raid on Beecher's Hope :aaaaa: Frantically fighting from all sides with his family caught in the mix was intense as hell

Finally, I really think that the VA for John Marston (and the dialogue written for him) was incredible, and really was able to help the game soar during it's already strong parts. I'm glad I bought this game, and I'm less than 20 levels from my Buffalo now :unsmith:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Fuuuuuuuck.

Just completed Master Hunter 3, and when looking for Boars on 4, I got ambushed by a goddamn cougar and it one shotted the gently caress out of me :(

Voting we change the thread title to "Red Dead Redemption: gently caress cougars"

EDIT: And what the gently caress, deathwater? Really? What is this, GTA3?

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 2, 2010

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

T1g4h posted:

EDIT: And what the gently caress, deathwater? Really? What is this, GTA3?

Marston is wearing several hundred pounds of weapons, ammunition, camping gear, and animal skins/meat. Of course he can't swim.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Universe Master posted:

Marston is wearing several hundred pounds of weapons, ammunition, camping gear, and animal skins/meat. Of course he can't swim.

You'd think he could at least wade a little further out than ankle deep, though :v:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

T1g4h posted:

You'd think he could at least wade a little further out than ankle deep, though :v:

The water needs to cover at least marston's shoulders while standing. I don't really know what you're doing wading into so much water in the first place, there's nothing there.

It's pretty silly anyway, though.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Hey You Pifuckyou! posted:

The water needs to cover at least marston's shoulders while standing. I don't really know what you're doing wading into so much water in the first place, there's nothing there.

It's pretty silly anyway, though.

Really? Because I got killed almost instantly after wading out into the water just north of the MacFarlane Ranch, with the falls. I literally made it about a step or two, just enough to get to his ankles / shins, when all of a sudden I just... died.

I mostly did it out of sheer curiosity, so it's my own stupid fault, but come on R* :(

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

T1g4h posted:

Really? Because I got killed almost instantly after wading out into the water just north of the MacFarlane Ranch, with the falls. I literally made it about a step or two, just enough to get to his ankles / shins, when all of a sudden I just... died.

I mostly did it out of sheer curiosity, so it's my own stupid fault, but come on R* :(

Really? Maybe different bodies of water treat you differently then :psyduck: Because I sure have waded way deeper than that just to try it out (and to skin a cougar that fell in a pond, this happened in the swamps near Thieves Landing), and in multiplayer it seems you can go as far as your character's head.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

T1g4h posted:

Sea cougars. You hear a "blub" and then you die.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Oodles of Wootles posted:

Sea cougars. You hear a "blub" and then you die.

I -knew- it! Goddamn cougars are everywhere :argh:

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001
I dreamed that I found a beaver spawn in Mexico and was able to finish that stranger quest that requires them.

On a related note, I hope in a sequel or maybe DLC they expand on the hunting to include animal tracks in an animals natural spawn area that leads you to a random spot (maybe like the system in Arkham Asylum) that will spawn that animal in some random amount time (say between 30s and 2mins). It would give people who are looking for a particular animal a way to track it down rather than wander around waiting for spawns and would simulate hunting a bit better.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Can you mute individual players or shut down voice comms altogether? I hate the constant crying about getting shot or the background mouthbreathing from some players.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah, I got real frustrated hunting rabbits & boars last night, just riding around in circles near the spawn areas and seeing nothing

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Okay, I just realized one of the guys you're chasing is named Bill Williams.

His name is William Williams. :psyduck:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Was actually a fairly common name in the 19th/early 20th century:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Williamson

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

EchoBase posted:

I dreamed that I found a beaver spawn in Mexico and was able to finish that stranger quest that requires them.

On a related note, I hope in a sequel or maybe DLC they expand on the hunting to include animal tracks in an animals natural spawn area that leads you to a random spot (maybe like the system in Arkham Asylum) that will spawn that animal in some random amount time (say between 30s and 2mins). It would give people who are looking for a particular animal a way to track it down rather than wander around waiting for spawns and would simulate hunting a bit better.

I had the best luck with pairs of beavers continuously spawning south of Blackwater where the road bends west.

Then a Cougar hosed my horse, then me, with absolutely no time for me to react.

Back to last save.

I destroyed every Cougar in the area for about 20 minutes but no more beavers spawned. Cougars are assholes.

EDIT: After 40+ hours I finally made it to West Elizabeth (I spend a lot of time riding around). Then a few minutes later as I was exploring Tall Trees I was raped by a bear who was a apparently trained by ninjas. This game

Mister Bung fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 2, 2010

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

In the Landon Ricketts mission 'Lucky in Love,' which serves as the tutorial mission for duels (whose loving idea was it to put this halfway through the game?), do I have to kill Muller in the duel? I've been through more than twenty duels already in the game, all of which I won through disarm - I'm trying to play as a John Wayne version of Marston who, while willing to get some killing done to get the job finished, isn't a sociopathic mass murderer - and I'm not exactly thrilled at the thought of being forced by a mission to headshot some poor bastard when I'm more than capable of outgunning him to the degree of shooting his gun out of his hand and making him live the rest of his life in shame instead of turning him into a martyr. I keep getting smoked because, unlike the typical duels I've been in, I can't just target his arm and then shoot. It wants me to loving rape him about the face, neck, and head and I just haven't got any interest in doing so if I don't have to.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
edit: ^ You have to kill him. If you're ever unable to disarm someone, it's usually because it's a story-related character that you're "expected" to kill.

Sioux posted:

Can you mute individual players or shut down voice comms altogether? I hate the constant crying about getting shot or the background mouthbreathing from some players.

The same way you handle posse connections, "Mute" is an option on a given player.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

That Awful Nick posted:

In the Landon Ricketts mission 'Lucky in Love,' which serves as the tutorial mission for duels (whose loving idea was it to put this halfway through the game?), do I have to kill Muller in the duel? I've been through more than twenty duels already in the game, all of which I won through disarm - I'm trying to play as a John Wayne version of Marston who, while willing to get some killing done to get the job finished, isn't a sociopathic mass murderer - and I'm not exactly thrilled at the thought of being forced by a mission to headshot some poor bastard when I'm more than capable of outgunning him to the degree of shooting his gun out of his hand and making him live the rest of his life in shame instead of turning him into a martyr. I keep getting smoked because, unlike the typical duels I've been in, I can't just target his arm and then shoot. It wants me to loving rape him about the face, neck, and head and I just haven't got any interest in doing so if I don't have to.
You have to kill him.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I know a Richard Smith. It probably blows your mind.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I don't know what happened, but I was super excited for this game, played it for a couple of days until I got to Mexico and now I lost all my interest in it. loving strange.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I'm chillaxing in Mexico, I've been using the same horse that I got from Bonnie - I'm whoring for the 20 missions same horse achievement, but I'm starting to wonder if it's ever going to arrive?

Soooo, if I buy a horse, does it automagically replace my current horse? Can I 'own' more than one horse at a time and pick the horse I use for a mission? I roped a sweet looking horse in Mexico, broke him, and the game 'saved' as if I'd done something special. I let the horse go because I don't want to switch horses in the middle of the river, so to speak.

tldr; dammit explain horses to me.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

porktree posted:

Soooo, if I buy a horse, does it automagically replace my current horse? Can I 'own' more than one horse at a time and pick the horse I use for a mission? I roped a sweet looking horse in Mexico, broke him, and the game 'saved' as if I'd done something special. I let the horse go because I don't want to switch horses in the middle of the river, so to speak.
When you buy a horse deed, it sits in your inventory. When you want to use that horse, select the deed in the menu and it becomes your 'hitched' horse.

antiloquax
Feb 23, 2008

by Ozma
The good thing about deeds is you can use them to save your game if you're out hunting and don't want to lose six hours of in-game time.

Snailor Moon
Jun 29, 2006

by mons al-madeen

porktree posted:

I'm chillaxing in Mexico, I've been using the same horse that I got from Bonnie - I'm whoring for the 20 missions same horse achievement, but I'm starting to wonder if it's ever going to arrive?

tldr; dammit explain horses to me.

I got the 20 missions on the same horse one before I got to Mexico, using the stallion from the horsebreaking mission with Bonnie, so you should have gotten it by now unless you hit a bug or made a mistake.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

porktree posted:

tldr; dammit explain horses to me I enjoy asking questions that are answered in the OP and within five two pages of my post, TIA.

sup fixed glad I could help

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 2, 2010

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
There are some awesome kill animations if you get to point blank range with a pistol. Jamming your gun under someones jaw and blowing their brain out the top of their skull is frigging awesome. I wonder how many people have never seen these, given the tendancy of badguys to retreat.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ShineDog posted:

There are some awesome kill animations if you get to point blank range with a pistol. Jamming your gun under someones jaw and blowing their brain out the top of their skull is frigging awesome. I wonder how many people have never seen these, given the tendancy of badguys to retreat.
You can do it with every weapon, the brutal shanking you dish out with the throwing knife is pretty sweet.

Arclight
Jan 26, 2006

porktree posted:

I roped a sweet looking horse in Mexico, broke him, and the game 'saved' as if I'd done something special.
Every time you break a new horse, their deed becomes available at the General Stores, which is why the game quicksaves.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

coyo7e posted:

You can do it with every weapon, the brutal shanking you dish out with the throwing knife is pretty sweet.

And yet with the normal knife you flail around and they might fall over.

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009
In Mexico i killed the guy who had you run drugs to the miners. He said something about doing more business with him later. But i killed him?
will this effect me from getting 100%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Awesome Glitch ahoy

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/red-dead-redemption-glitch/345168?playlist=featured

Homing missile TNT :smug:

• Locked thread