Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

ShineDog posted:

There are some awesome kill animations if you get to point blank range with a pistol. Jamming your gun under someones jaw and blowing their brain out the top of their skull is frigging awesome. I wonder how many people have never seen these, given the tendancy of badguys to retreat.

Every time I get close to someone it's usually a blast to the gut, usually with Marston acting like he stumbled into the person. I've never gotten Sweet Chin Music via firearm :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Orcrez posted:

In Mexico i killed the guy who had you run drugs to the miners. He said something about doing more business with him later. But i killed him?
will this effect me from getting 100%?
No. You can't lock out your 100% afaik

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Haha holy poo poo, never patch this Rockstar. Never patch this.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Orcrez posted:

In Mexico i killed the guy who had you run drugs to the miners. He said something about doing more business with him later. But i killed him?
will this effect me from getting 100%?
I hope not, because I gave him back his filthy money, then he said something smart-rear end to me, so I shot him in the head. And looted the money back.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Morter posted:

Every time I get close to someone it's usually a blast to the gut, usually with Marston acting like he stumbled into the person. I've never gotten Sweet Chin Music via firearm :(

I know you can do pistol to the face if you shoot both of their knees first, so they are kneeling (Rockstar is awesome just for thinking of this.)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ShineDog posted:

And yet with the normal knife you flail around and they might fall over.
Only if you gently caress up and don't do it right. The knife has a stealth/execution kill as well.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
So after getting to about 97% completion the game has decided to stop loading single player for me. :[

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

T1g4h posted:

Really? Because I got killed almost instantly after wading out into the water just north of the MacFarlane Ranch, with the falls. I literally made it about a step or two, just enough to get to his ankles / shins, when all of a sudden I just... died.

I mostly did it out of sheer curiosity, so it's my own stupid fault, but come on R* :(

I'm betting you haven't gotten to West Elizabeth yet. There's a ford north of MacFarlane Ranch that you can cross, on foot even, and at the beginning of the game, to prevent you from going there early, they just insta-kill you. Lame, yes, but there is a reason for it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Morter posted:

Use a rifle.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Holy Cheese posted:

I know a Richard Smith. It probably blows your mind.

Here's one of my ex-professors: http://web.as.ua.edu/philosophy/faculty/rrichards.php

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
Welp I finally picked this game up last night. Sent Friend requests to the non-euro/aussie metatags, hopefully some of you will be online today so I can start doing some multiplayer free roam stuff with people who aren't completely horrible humans. :toot:

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Spitshine posted:

I did the same thing, and it felt fuckin glorious. The subtlety of it was much more satisfying than any other weapon would have been. I liked the implication that with Ross' smarmy attitude in handing John the weapon, he couldn't have known that that exact firearm would be his (and in my case, his family's) undoing. Woop.

I don't really agree, I thought the idea of using a gun Ross gave his father didn't make a lot of sense(I understand the irony but it just doesn't feel right to me for him to use that particular gun). Instead I used John's default gun(which are gold due to the DLC) because it felt more natural and in theme with him becoming just like his father(not to mention in theme with the friggin' setting).

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 2, 2010

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm just about to enter Mexico, and I'm loving this game, but I will say that in typical Rockstar Contrivance, I felt like all the poo poo I had to accomplish to get into Fort Mercer seemed... unnecessary. (I'm being vague so as not to Spoil, but I mean, the whole point for all the errands was for a tool and that tool felt like... I dunno... Gang Hideouts have almost as many people to kill, you know?

Not that I guess Marston would have known that...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I would rather have done all of Fort Mercer with my own gun instead of the gatling gun 'nuff said. When you come back to do it as a hideout, you fight just as many guys but it's much more fun and satisfying.

That thing was no fun to use.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
I love this game and the multiplayer is pretty great but there's one thing that REALLY annoys me: autoaim. Why the hell do I have to wait until rank 20 to get access to the big boy Free Roam servers? For that matter why are their rank requirements for any of the hardcore game modes? There is no skill or fun in ganking people with autoaim and it's the one dark spot on a really great game.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
I'm not sure how spoilery this is so I'm going to black out the whole thing. Just a question bout the plot of the game.

Does killing/not killing Williamson make any difference to the outcome of the game? I mean, he dies either way, so it seems to me like a meaningless decision. I haven't quite finished the storyline yet, so if it makes a big difference, don't tell me what the difference is, just let me know. Thanks

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Complaint about the ending: HUGE SPOILERS DONT CLICK THIS poo poo IF YOU AINT BEAT IT With how big of a crush Bonnie had on John, I would think that she and the remaining Marstons would have had a closer relationship and there would be a way to interact with Bonnie. What I'm trying to say is that Jack should be able to have some fun getting hunted by a different sort of cougar.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Edge Zero posted:

Complaint about the ending: HUGE SPOILERS DONT CLICK THIS poo poo IF YOU AINT BEAT IT With how big of a crush Bonnie had on John, I would think that she and the remaining Marstons would have had a closer relationship and there would be a way to interact with Bonnie. What I'm trying to say is that Jack should be able to have some fun getting hunted by a different sort of cougar.
Yeah I thought the same thing, and felt a bit let down when I went to the farm and there wasn't even one mission to do. They really could've added more cutscenes involving him interacting with people you've already been working for/with.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

coyo7e posted:

Yeah I thought the same thing, and felt a bit let down when I went to the farm and there wasn't even one mission to do. They really could've added more cutscenes involving him interacting with people you've already been working for/with.

They kinda close the Bonnie thread her following after the man that tipped his hat at her, in her last cutscene, but yea being able to visit the characters again would have been nice instead of them all disappearing. Like maybe you could clear out Pike's Basin with the Sheriff, do more shooting challenges with Weston in Blackwater.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Laughing Man posted:

They kinda close the Bonnie thread her following after the man that tipped his hat at her, in her last cutscene,

Wasn't that just the ranch hand who you rode with a couple of times? Maybe I wasn't looking close enough, but I thought that was just her shaking it off and going back to work.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Laughing Man posted:

They kinda close the Bonnie thread her following after the man that tipped his hat at her, in her last cutscene, but yea being able to visit the characters again would have been nice instead of them all disappearing. Like maybe you could clear out Pike's Basin with the Sheriff, do more shooting challenges with Weston in Blackwater.

They give "closure" to the stories of most of the NPCs in a newspaper you can buy as Jack.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ez posted:

I'm not sure how spoilery this is so I'm going to black out the whole thing. Just a question bout the plot of the game.

Does killing/not killing Williamson make any difference to the outcome of the game? I mean, he dies either way, so it seems to me like a meaningless decision. I haven't quite finished the storyline yet, so if it makes a big difference, don't tell me what the difference is, just let me know. Thanks

I don't think you even get that option. I used the moment given to unload my Henry Repeater onto Allende's crotch, at which point Bill started saying "I'll turn my life around blah blah blah" while getting up and bringing his gun out and Reyes shot him dead.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Martytoof posted:

I would rather have done all of Fort Mercer with my own gun instead of the gatling gun 'nuff said. When you come back to do it as a hideout, you fight just as many guys but it's much more fun and satisfying.

That thing was no fun to use.

For me the gatling gun was fun for the first ten seconds or so just for the HOLYSHIT factor and watching it chew through scenery. The first sequence with it could definitely have been shorter though and the second was goofy.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
END GAME SPOILERSI thought John's final moments were executed pretty poorly. First of all, I'm pretty sure I shot Ross and his lackey a bunch of times. I understand it was a last, desperate heroic moment kind of thing but if you're going to negate the actions we do then why even give the option? It completely ruins the effect it could have had. And on that note, it should have ended right there. But with more music of course. I should have been able to shoot(or not shoot if I wished so) Ross and/or a bunch of his men and die along with them. Hell, them shooting you to bits just before you can even land a single target would've been better than this set-up. Oh and a clone of Jack all bloodied up was stuck standing in the back of the shed for some reason but I could turn the glitch into some kind of poetic apparition.

Also yes, I did do the "Remember my family" mission, but I believe ending it at John's death and giving the player the option to go back to before the mission would've been a far better alternative.

No idea if I'm being whiny about this.

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does anybody remember the swingset glitch from GTA4?

Because it's back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ2IjvdarWI

Its the best thing ever. At MacFarlane's Ranch, on the sheriff's office, there is a log that you can take cover on. Take cover on it, go all the way to the right, and double tap the cover button. If you hold aim anything immediately after, you go flying so high.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

I don't think you even get that option. I used the moment given to unload my Henry Repeater onto Allende's crotch, at which point Bill started saying "I'll turn my life around blah blah blah" while getting up and bringing his gun out and Reyes shot him dead.

I think he's actually asking about Escuela, which I wonder about too, actually. You can capture him and not kill him, and there's a bunch of cutscenes if you capture him like I did. I didn't try killing him, but I haven't quite gotten to the end yet (Just scouted Cochinay and rescued the Professor from town) and I was wondering if that choice makes a difference in the long run, too.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I think he's actually asking about Escuela, which I wonder about too, actually. You can capture him and not kill him, and there's a bunch of cutscenes if you capture him like I did. I didn't try killing him, but I haven't quite gotten to the end yet (Just scouted Cochinay and rescued the Professor from town) and I was wondering if that choice makes a difference in the long run, too.

He hardly gets mentioned as they'll mostly say "Bill and Dutch" and just omit Esquela alltogether. But they never differentiate between him being dead or alive when they do mention him.

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 2, 2010

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Fuzz posted:

You get the option for both actually. Basically, once they're on the ground, a little text box comes up and says "Kill Bill William". Just out of curiosity, I didn't, and a cut scene eventually played where Reyes killed him. With Esquela, it just gives you the option to kill him or capture him, I chose to capture him.

I'm sure it doesn't matter, but it seems weird that they would include an alternate cutscene for not killing him if it makes no difference. I figured if you didn't kill him, he would just start shooting at you or run away and you'd fail the mission unless you did it. Just a strange little piece of the game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ez posted:

You get the option for both actually. Basically, once they're on the ground, a little text box comes up and says "Kill Bill William". Just out of curiosity, I didn't, and a cut scene eventually played where Reyes killed him. With Esquela, it just gives you the option to kill him or capture him, I chose to capture him.

I'm sure it doesn't matter, but it seems weird that they would include an alternate cutscene for not killing him if it makes no difference. I figured if you didn't kill him, he would just start shooting at you or run away and you'd fail the mission unless you did it. Just a strange little piece of the game.

Could be a segue into possible DLC territory, you never know. Probably not a full expansion, but I could see them releasing small storyline bits in the form of like 5-10 missions that are a side story or just a random add-on, and it's only like $5.99 or maybe even free. The core mechanics of the game are really elaborate and enough that there's a lot they could do, in terms of DLC and just slightly adjusting the buildings/towns and changing the year.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Ez posted:

RE: the mission in question
I shot Allende in the head, but Reyes murdered Willamson as I tried to switch to the lasso for hilarity's sake against him.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Fuzz posted:

Could be a segue into possible DLC territory, you never know. Probably not a full expansion, but I could see them releasing small storyline bits in the form of like 5-10 missions that are a side story or just a random add-on, and it's only like $5.99 or maybe even free. The core mechanics of the game are really elaborate and enough that there's a lot they could do, in terms of DLC and just slightly adjusting the buildings/towns and changing the year.

There will probably be a DLC with some pre-content surrounding John's involvement with the gang.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Finally got my buffalo gun. I died like 5 times on the first cougar, so i was going to be a bitch & kill one, save, then try for the other. After I finally got the first one & was skinning him, the 2nd attacked almost immediately & I somehow managed to kill him too without either of them even hitting me. :sweatdrop:

Incidentally the Stillwater Creek tip from the wiki is spot on. Hanging around that campfire with bait is pretty much a guaranteed cougar spawn.

I've heard it's possible to get said gun before you get to Mexico. Does that mean there are armadillo spawn somewhere on the north side of the river? I don't recall ever seeing one.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.

merk posted:

There will probably be a DLC with some pre-content surrounding John's involvement with the gang.

No no no! Rockstar, if you're listening, DONT DO DLC WITH THIS. Do a prequel game next where we get to play John's brutal past :rock:

and gangbang Abigail :quagmire:

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 2, 2010

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

fishtobaskets posted:

I've heard it's possible to get said gun before you get to Mexico. Does that mean there are armadillo spawn somewhere on the north side of the river? I don't recall ever seeing one.

Gaptooth, especially in the west. Found all of mine along the roads. Only time I wish I had a car, so I could be a trailblazer in running them over.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

fishtobaskets posted:

Finally got my buffalo gun. I died like 5 times on the first cougar, so i was going to be a bitch & kill one, save, then try for the other.

Do you not know about dead eye and rifles? I got attacked by five cougars consecutively in my first encounter and one-shotted them all in the head with the first rifle you get. Only died when my dead eye ran out and I couldn't aim fast enough.

On another note, I had a really lovely glitch where I couldn't interact with any kills or horses yesterday (the "press Y" prompt never came up). And of course that was when I ran into a rare wild stallion and a herd of buffalo for the first time. I felt like a true white European settler killing all those Buffalo just to let them rot.

Restarting the console was the only way to fix it.

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

fishtobaskets posted:

... ponder the name of the hub town in New Austin. Where might it have gotten that name?

Silly sarcasm aside, yes, there are plenty of armadillos south of Armadillo, mainly in the prairie areas stretching towards Mexico. Have a ride around and you should come across a few soon enough.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

leidend posted:

Do you not know about dead eye and rifles? I got attacked by five cougars consecutively in my first encounter and one-shotted them all in the head. Only died when my dead eye ran out and I couldn't aim fast enough.

Oh, err, just in case:
You have to friggin knife them to get the buffalo gun :suicide:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

fishtobaskets posted:

Oh, err, just in case:

Oh, didn't know that. I'm one of those crazy guys who doesn't pay attention to achievements at all.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

fishtobaskets posted:

Oh, err, just in case:

Wait until you have to knife a bear to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Gazaville Slugger posted:

Wait until you have to knife a bear to death.

easy! Shoot four times and stab twice.

• Locked thread