Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

fishtobaskets posted:

Oh, err, just in case:
You have to friggin knife them to get the buffalo gun :suicide:

For this achievement I just waited until I saw two of them chasing down some poor bastard npc and picked them off while their attention was drawn on their prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Gazaville Slugger posted:

Wait until you have to knife a bear to death.

When I got as far as having to stab cougars, it was still before Mexico, or the West Dickens/Landon Ricketts missions that alter (and by some standards gently caress up) dead-eye permanently. I got through the wolf and cougar stabbing with dead eye slow motion knife fighting- which really was highly amusing. I was disappointed that there was no way to 'downgrade' or 'mode select' on dead eye behavior, because slow motion bear stabbing would have been a lot easier than how I managed it. Pretty much you completely lose dead-eye for the knife at some point in the quest line to improve it.
Essentially, I softened the bear up with about four non-head buffalo rifle shots. Switched to the knife, and did a lot of fruitless praying while dodging bear charges and hoping to turn around quick enough to stab a bear in the rear end. THEN it started running, and I chased the loving thing for ten minutes before it finally snared itself in a couple of rocks and let me shank it.
I've read advice online that you should be trying to stab the bear from horseback, but seriously what the gently caress? That is unwieldy as hell.

edit: holy poo poo lasso info

Salmon, the Wise Fish
Jun 28, 2004

arca posted:

easy! Shoot four times and stab twice.

Even easier, the lasso stuns the bear for about 4 seconds.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

http://twitter.com/TheKevinButler/status/15271884532

Anyone else get a kick out of this tweet? Why is a Sony VP making GBS threads on a PS3 game- and not only that, but the PS3 game with easily the best dialogue in recent memory? :wtc:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
So...who DIDN'T kill Ross' wife and brother?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Anyone else get a kick out of this tweet? Why is a Sony VP making GBS threads on a PS3 game- and not only that, but the PS3 game with easily the best dialogue in recent memory? :wtc:

I don't think he's anything but an ad agency creation.

An awesome one but a fake one

Fudgement Day
Mar 30, 2007
Keep On Walkin In The Free World

I think his point is totally valid. Some of those mandatory riding sections dripping with useless exposition were annoying. Especially in Mexico, where I gave a gently caress about nothing.

Edit: Except Ricketts, he was awesome.

Fudgement Day fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 2, 2010

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Captain Charisma posted:

Like 5 of us.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

KingShiro posted:

Like 5 of us.

I'm a better man than him and they were innocent :colbert:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Same here, my beef wasn't with them, just that motherfucking piece of poo poo. Easily the most satisfying kill in a game for years.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Fudgement Day posted:

I think his point is totally valid. Some of those mandatory riding sections dripping with useless exposition were annoying. Especially in Mexico, where I gave a gently caress about nothing.

I don't understand this viewpoint. You do realize that you almost never have to ride with characters during trips like that- if you want to, you can always jet ahead to the checkpoint as fast as humanly possible and not have to listen to "useless exposition". But I can't help but feel that that is missing the point somewhat, as the dialogue was really excellent by even the most stringent modern video game standards. At any rate, it is still bizarre for some Sony honcho to gripe about.

edit: vvvvvvvvvvvv Uncharted 2 had good, snappy writing in a summer movie way, but I'd say the scope and range of RDR beats it out by a significant amount.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 2, 2010

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Why is a Sony VP making GBS threads on a PS3 game- and not only that, but the PS3 game with easily the best dialogue in recent memory? :wtc:

Why is he still talking about Uncharted 2?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't understand this viewpoint. You do realize that you almost never have to ride with characters during trips like that- if you want to, you can always jet ahead to the checkpoint as fast as humanly possible and not have to listen to "useless exposition". But I can't help but feel that that is missing the point somewhat, as the dialogue was really excellent by even the most stringent modern video game standards. At any rate, it is still bizarre for some Sony honcho to gripe about.

But for most of them, they don't tell you where the checkpoint is, your objective is just to "Accompany [character]" and all you get is the character as a blue dot on your radar.

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

I let them live because they didn't really do anything wrong. Plus I didn't want to lose any honor.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ralconn posted:

I let them live because they didn't really do anything wrong. Plus I didn't want to lose any honor.

That's what the bandana's for! Killing people with a bandana on is like having sex through a hole in the sheet, God won't find out about it.

(I didn't kill them either, it didn't even occur to me actually)

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's not like he'd even know about it anyway

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

No game should force me to complete a stupid buggy race for story mission completion. If you want me to do it for side missions fine but not for a main line. This is loving stupid

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

No game should force me to complete a stupid buggy race for story mission completion. If you want me to do it for side missions fine but not for a main line. This is loving stupid

What are you talking about? I beat all the race missions miles ahead of the other people without even trying. I suck at racing games too.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It is literally the easiest race in any game, ever.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I keep either flipping the cart or running off the road or something I don't know it's just really pissing me off.

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

I keep either flipping the cart or running off the road or something I don't know it's just really pissing me off.

Protip: slow down instead of making sharp turns at full speed.

It's just like how you make turns in real life!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I had more problems with carts sinking into the ground than I did with flipping them. Which is to say I had exactly one cart sink into the ground.

It's also important to note that every single GTA game has had at least one racing mission as part of the story and the ones in RDR are by far the easiest (looking at you, Vice City).

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 2, 2010

Futanari Rastafari
Apr 19, 2004

New Sincerity Posting

Ainsley McTree posted:

But for most of them, they don't tell you where the checkpoint is, your objective is just to "Accompany [character]" and all you get is the character as a blue dot on your radar.

He is right actually, for the overwhelming majority of missions you can just ride ahead. There were maybe two missions I can think of where you are assaulted along the way which might be what is confusing you.

Zero Karizma posted:

Why is he still talking about Uncharted 2?

Dialogue involves two people, not just Drake Fortune talking to himself.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Futanari Rastafari posted:

He is right actually, for the overwhelming majority of missions you can just ride ahead. There were maybe two missions I can think of where you are assaulted along the way which might be what is confusing you.

You would have to manually figure out where you're supposed to go and set your own waypoint though, right? Or does the game give you a checkpoint once you get a certain distance ahead of the character? All I know is that for most of the missions, all it gives you is a blue dot and an objective to accompany it - does riding ahead of the blue dot give you a yellow dot? I suppose I've never actually tried that...

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Combatace posted:

Does anybody remember the swingset glitch from GTA4?

Because it's back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ2IjvdarWI

Its the best thing ever. At MacFarlane's Ranch, on the sheriff's office, there is a log that you can take cover on. Take cover on it, go all the way to the right, and double tap the cover button. If you hold aim anything immediately after, you go flying so high.

I trust this is just as funny for the other people watching? I should do this in a free roam and blow people's minds.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

edit: vvvvvvvvvvvv Uncharted 2 had good, snappy writing in a summer movie way, but I'd say the scope and range of RDR beats it out by a significant amount.

I'm just loving around. I actually did like the dialogue in RDR, particularly the ride to mission parts. I don't really get why so many people are bothered by this. It seems like half the appeal of the genre.

I'd say both games pretty much hit me in a big-budget movie kinda way. If they made a movie out of Uncharted, it would be an even shittier version of the mummy.

If they made a movie out of Red Dead, I'd hope they would tone down the indie theater approach to "cultural messages" a bit. With a little restraint, I think this game's plot could have been something pretty special.

Oh who am I kidding, that movie already exists as The Proposition and it's TONS better than anything they'd make with this license.

How dare you sully the good name of Sully.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

So on doing all the US hideouts in 24 hours.

Is there a respawn time on hideouts or when they can be activated? I did 4 out of the 5 and then got to Tumbleweed with like 5 hours to spare only to be told come back later and I was never able to do it within the time limit :(

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Finished the story. Overall it was enjoyable, nicely rounded. I'm still gonna trade it in for GTA4:Episodes. I love my new-york'y Liberty and GTA4 Euphoria. That's one thing that really saddened me about RDR, the Euphoria on NPC's wasn't really as funny. I can spend ages being a douche in GTA4 just trampling over people, with RDR, it felt stiff, granted the Drunk mode was good, and the odd push was good, but I wanted to stand on people dangit! Did I mention i have a hardon for NYC, so that's probably why I want EoLC. (And for a protagonist that isn't on the blob 24/7)

I still say, bring out some sort of mini patch that adds the bullet wounds and bullet hole models from RDR to GTA4! :swoon:

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

But you have to admit that full-force pushing people down stairs/into gutters is loving HILARIOUS.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
It is. But GTA4 had fallen pedestrians struggling and flailing around to get back up, in RDR they just snap up regardless :qq:.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Zero Karizma posted:

I'm just loving around. I actually did like the dialogue in RDR, particularly the ride to mission parts. I don't really get why so many people are bothered by this. It seems like half the appeal of the genre.

I'd say both games pretty much hit me in a big-budget movie kinda way. If they made a movie out of Uncharted, it would be an even shittier version of the mummy.

If they made a movie out of Red Dead, I'd hope they would tone down the indie theater approach to "cultural messages" a bit. With a little restraint, I think this game's plot could have been something pretty special.

Oh who am I kidding, that movie already exists as The Proposition and it's TONS better than anything they'd make with this license.
The writing in Red Dead Redemption is pretty decent, but the rides to objectives and all that stuff is what I call "exposition express". It doesn't flow very well and is pretty awkward. I suppose they have to fit it in there somewhere. In the cutscenes, however, it's pretty good. But I'd place Uncharted 2 above this game, but that point is entirely objective.

A video game movie would bomb regardless and, as you said, this plot already exists in The Proposition.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Elendil004 posted:

You are less of a man because you can't race a wagon.

Paint-Drinking Pete
Apr 9, 2009
Up until now I have had nothing but good things to say about this game, but goddamn the competitive multiplayer modes are absolutely atrocious. It takes way too many bullets to actually kill someone and if you even have to stop shooting them even for the short time it takes to reload they've already regenerated most of their health back. Combined with the mostly inaccurate and unresponsive guns it seriously makes killing or being killed by someone feel like complete luck rather than actual skill. Maybe I just don't "get it" but grab the bag and gang shoot outs have been the opposite of fun for me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Captain Charisma posted:

I don't think he's anything but an ad agency creation.

An awesome one but a fake one

Of course he is. You know how many people are shocked and surprised to find out that the actor's name is not actually Kevin Butler, and that he is, in fact, just some actor and not actually a random employee of Sony's? You'd think that would be common sense, but no, many pubbies on PSN who are shocked and confused when I point that out would disagree with you.

His name is Nathan Drake, why does everyone think his name is Drake Fortune? The subtitle of the first game was Drake's Fortune, not the character's name. That would have been retarded if it was just his name. (Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is an exception, shutup)

Feenix posted:

You are less of a man because you can't race a wagon.

But what if he can paint a wagon? :downsrim:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Finally got the Unnatural Selection achievement.

Goddamn ducks, man.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Howard Beale posted:

Finally got the Unnatural Selection achievement.

Goddamn ducks, man.
There are ducks in this game??

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Away all Goats posted:

There are ducks in this game??

This loving explains it. Where are the goddamned ducks?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Judging by the time it took to fall back to the ground, you went at least 12,000 high. At least if videogames are anything like real life. Probably higher too, considering tumbling around madly doesn't provide optimal wind resistance.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Fuzz posted:

Of course he is. You know how many people are shocked and surprised to find out that the actor's name is not actually Kevin Butler, and that he is, in fact, just some actor and not actually a random employee of Sony's? You'd think that would be common sense, but no, many pubbies on PSN who are shocked and confused when I point that out would disagree with you.

So wait a minute, are you telling me that 'VP of First Person Shooters' and 'VP of Enough is Enough' are not real jobs at Sony??

Also they seem to have taken the offending post down.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Just finished it and holy poo poo, the ending credits song (title spoilered just in case) Deadman's Gun is easily one of the best in game songs I've ever heard. It's just... perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GruntyThrst posted:

This loving explains it. Where are the goddamned ducks?

Lake Don Julio, I think.

• Locked thread