Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

GruntyThrst posted:

This loving explains it. Where are the goddamned ducks?

Near water. I don't think they ever land, though, they only fly around. Just listen for quacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Hal Gill username posted:

So wait a minute, are you telling me that 'VP of First Person Shooters' and 'VP of Enough is Enough' are not real jobs at Sony??

Also they seem to have taken the offending post down.
What did it say?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

What did it say?

"Apparently in the old west people LOVED to have really really boring conversations while they rode their horses."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hal Gill username posted:

So wait a minute, are you telling me that 'VP of First Person Shooters' and 'VP of Enough is Enough' are not real jobs at Sony??

Also they seem to have taken the offending post down.

It wasn't the fake job titles that confused people, it was the fact that he wasn't actually some random Sony employee they got to do a TV spot, and the fact that his name isn't actually Kevin Butler in real life. I dunno, I guess apparently some people thought that Sony's marketing campaign was so stupid and had stopped giving a poo poo that they found some random cubicle worker, threw him in front of a camera and told him to read lines, and it actually worked, so they made an entire ad campaign around him and his name is really Kevin Butler. Who the hell knows, 95% of the internet is loving retarded.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Fuzz posted:

I guess apparently some people thought that Sony's marketing campaign was so stupid and had stopped giving a poo poo that they found some random cubicle worker, threw him in front of a camera and told him to read lines, and it actually worked, so they made an entire ad campaign around him and his name is really Kevin Butler. Who the hell knows, 95% of the internet is loving retarded.

Well, in their defense... before Butler they had a devil baby and that chick on the toilet talking about being herself or whatever.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Fuzz posted:

Near water. I don't think they ever land, though, they only fly around. Just listen for quacks.

I never saw one take off while I was around Lake Don Julio, so I just shot at everything I saw in the air until the achievement unlocked.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zero Karizma posted:

Well, in their defense... before Butler they had a devil baby and that chick on the toilet talking about being herself or whatever.

And before that, they had David Lynch ads, which made me want to watch more David Lynch films, but also made me want a PS2 even less.

And anyone remember the 'We're totally not viral marketing and this is an honest fansite, really!' clusterfuck with the PSP at one point?

Yeah, Sonys advertising division is borderline useless. I ended up buying my PS2 & PS3 years after their initial launches, in part because I was massively turned off by their wildly inept marketing.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Fuzz posted:

Of course he is. You know how many people are shocked and surprised to find out that the actor's name is not actually Kevin Butler, and that he is, in fact, just some actor and not actually a random employee of Sony's? You'd think that would be common sense, but no, many pubbies on PSN who are shocked and confused when I point that out would disagree with you.

A little about Jerry Lambert, the actor...

"In 2010 he completed a new television pilot for FOX with John Goodman and Justin Bartha called The Station. produced by Ben Stiller, and directed by David Wain. He also has a recurring role on the new TBS animated primetime series Neighbors from Hell.

He also portrays Kevin Butler from the Sony Playstation 3 commercials."

Ahhhhh that sounds AWESOME.

Crown Royal
Jan 5, 2005

shoot her
I wish you could've hogtied people and then dropped them in water.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Crown Royal posted:

I wish you could've hogtied people and then dropped them in water.

You can, just drop them on a slope into the water and they'll slide down without moving any part of their body, looking kinda like a torpedo.

Flynner Magee
Nov 24, 2005
.....bad craziness.....
That semi auto shotgun is a blast when going on a rampage without dead eye.

Mosey on into Armadillo, "I'm just chillin'", then BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM, all hell breaks loose.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Lake Don Julio, I think.

They're along the banks of the US-Mexico River.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Regarding the endgame, I've got John back at the Ranch with my family and I am purposefully avoiding the Jack or Uncle missions until I accomplish as much as I can with John. Because I played as him, dammit. He oughta earn those outfits. He ought to get those achievements.

And I want to give John just that much more quality time with his family. Wake up one morning, say howdy to everyone on the ranch, ride off to shoot elk, ride down to Mexico and sell, finish up some bounty hunts in Chuparosa... then come home to his family. And promise Jack he's never going away again.
:smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uh. Where can I find beavers? They were loving EVERYWHERE when I didn't need them, and now I need to find a few for that glider guy and nothin'. I'm trying Thieves Landing but not much luck there.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Martytoof posted:

Uh. Where can I find beavers? They were loving EVERYWHERE when I didn't need them, and now I need to find a few for that glider guy and nothin'. I'm trying Thieves Landing but not much luck there.

Try looking around Bear Claw Camp. They hang out there for some reason. They just spawn around the area sometimes nowhere near any water.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Martytoof posted:

West Elizabeth, near water.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Martytoof posted:

Bearclaw camp. I found a few maps of where beavers are 'supposed' to be online and they're BULLSHIT, I never found beavers there, but I found all of mine at Bearclaw within a few minutes.

Flynner Magee posted:

That semi auto shotgun is a blast when going on a rampage without dead eye.

Mosey on into Armadillo, "I'm just chillin'", then BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM, all hell breaks loose.
My favorite way to start poo poo in Armadillo is to start a fistfight with Walton's Gang in the saloon, lead them back behind the bar, and shoot the lantern that hangs over it.

SweeneyTodd
May 30, 2002

Forums Barber

Paint-Drinking Pete posted:

Up until now I have had nothing but good things to say about this game, but goddamn the competitive multiplayer modes are absolutely atrocious. It takes way too many bullets to actually kill someone and if you even have to stop shooting them even for the short time it takes to reload they've already regenerated most of their health back. Combined with the mostly inaccurate and unresponsive guns it seriously makes killing or being killed by someone feel like complete luck rather than actual skill.

For most game modes, the default weapons you're given suck rear end. Other players are prioritizing grabbing weapon upgrades and then if you get into a straight-up firefight, they're doing twice as much per bullet as you. Also, it's a fair bet they're using Casual targeting mode, which can lock on to players you can barely see. If you're playing on Normal having just started against people on Casual who are high level, you're ridiculously handicapped in that situation.

Until you get a few levels and can choose modes that don't allow Casual targeting, the multiplayer games mostly consist of find good weapon, spam LT for a lock and hold it when you get one, spam RT to kill, repeat. I'm finding Expert mode much more balanced because, for instance, if you move, they actually have to adjust their aim to match.

Lilac
Dec 8, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Martytoof posted:

Uh. Where can I find beavers?

Every single joke about this must already be hopelessly played out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh ok I don't have Bearclar Camp or West Elizabeth unlocked yet. So I guess I have to defer my beaver hunt :q: for now. I'm not even done with Mexico yet.

Lilac posted:

Every single joke about this must already be hopelessly played out.

Not for me.. uh.. For a friend.. Yeah.. A friend is having trouble finding them..

Not me.

I got plenty :ohdear:

Also regarding Mexico:

If I help Luisa am I going to be hosed when I go talk to .. uh .. the "D" guy on the map, I forgot his name, since he's with the government?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 2, 2010

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Captain Charisma posted:

So...who DIDN'T kill Ross' wife and brother?

I actually didn't.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Martytoof posted:

Oh ok I don't have Bearclar Camp or West Elizabeth unlocked yet. So I guess I have to defer my beaver hunt :q: for now. I'm not even done with Mexico yet.

Not for me.. uh.. For a friend.. Yeah.. A friend is having trouble finding them..

Not me.

I got plenty :ohdear:

Also regarding Mexico:

If I help Luisa am I going to be hosed when I go talk to .. uh .. the "D" guy on the map, I forgot his name, since he's with the government?

You have to do all the story missions, there's no way to lock yourself out of any of them.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Sorry if this has been asked before. I am fairly deep into the game single story, only a handful of missions left, and for some reason I can no longer change outfits in the safehouse or camp. It only gives me the option to save...

Again sorry if it was posted before, but what happened? Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Nevermind. Apparently I cannot change outfits now until the end of the game. I am fired up to play high stakes poker.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 3, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GruntyThrst posted:

You have to do all the story missions, there's no way to lock yourself out of any of them.

Oh cool, that's awesome. Not worried about it now :3:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Martytoof posted:

Oh cool, that's awesome. Not worried about it now :3:
Yeah you can even kill Strangers and stuff and come back later and they'll respawn.

In Blackwater I was doing the mission with the prohibitionist bible-thumper, however since I was drunk I got a little too enthusiastic about killing him, so I used a stick of dynamite since I figured it'd be a poetic way for a drunken Marston to deal with a pushy prohibitionist. But I accidentally killed four guys at the poker table with the blast, too.

They were back a couple days later.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

You know, there's one little thing that's been bothering me that I figure you guys might be able to explain: when the game starts, and I select single player, it does an autosave before it's even done loading. Why?

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

fishtobaskets posted:

I've heard it's possible to get said gun before you get to Mexico. Does that mean there are armadillo spawn somewhere on the north side of the river? I don't recall ever seeing one.

I got mine when I was still doing missions for the Armadillo marshall, Nigel West Dickens, and Bonnie. Just because there are lots of Armadillos southwest of Armadillo, and anyone who says otherwise isn't looking very hard at all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Yeah you can even kill Strangers and stuff and come back later and they'll respawn.

In Blackwater I was doing the mission with the prohibitionist bible-thumper, however since I was drunk I got a little too enthusiastic about killing him, so I used a stick of dynamite since I figured it'd be a poetic way for a drunken Marston to deal with a pushy prohibitionist. But I accidentally killed four guys at the poker table with the blast, too.

They were back a couple days later.

My favorite is when I get caught cheating at poker, kill the player in a duel, and walk back to the poker table to find them sitting there, ready to let me play again.

I think I may have found another way to save the game anywhere - if you go into the options menu and change your aiming mode, the game autosaves. I don't know if it's saving my game or just the option settings, but maybe!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Anybody else having trouble using the 20 dollar promo code? It says it's already been applied to my account, but it hasn't actually been applied.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Ainsley McTree posted:

My favorite is when I get caught cheating at poker, kill the player in a duel, and walk back to the poker table to find them sitting there, ready to let me play again.
Huh. I never kill the accuser, I just shoot him in the hand. he gets all sad and depressed and either slumps away or leans up against a wall or pole nearby and glares at me, and he's not back at the table again unless I reload the area.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think I may have found another way to save the game anywhere - if you go into the options menu and change your aiming mode, the game autosaves. I don't know if it's saving my game or just the option settings, but maybe!

The options menu has it's own save file. I think using horse deeds will be better way to quick save.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
If anyone wants to get down on some PS3 action right now me and a co-worker are going at it. Would love to get the 8 man posse trophy!

PSN is DylanSesco

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

The options menu has it's own save file. I think using horse deeds will be better way to quick save.

Horse deeds are good, but the high-end ones (the only ones worth owning for horse summoning purposes) are very expensive and for optimal quick saving you'll need to have two of them (or I guess you could just kill your horse but that feels mean), going into the options menu would have been a neat alternate method. Unless it doesn't work. Which it apparently doesn't. So that's that.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

They obviously won't reveal it for a long time if it was there, but there had better be some loving codes for using a Buffalo, Super Bull, and Zebra Donkey in single player. I want to try them out, but I just BARELY hit level 40 the first time and I already never want to see another gang hideout again.

I don't know if I admire the people who actually go legendary or feel kind of bad for them. The loving GRINDING, ugh.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
26 hours into the game & I just realized that bodies you can loot/skin show up as tiny little shaded x's on your mini-map :ughh:

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

GenoCanSing posted:

They obviously won't reveal it for a long time if it was there, but there had better be some loving codes for using a Buffalo, Super Bull, and Zebra Donkey in single player. I want to try them out, but I just BARELY hit level 40 the first time and I already never want to see another gang hideout again.

I don't know if I admire the people who actually go legendary or feel kind of bad for them. The loving GRINDING, ugh.

They're just like riding a horse, except with a zebra skin.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

fishtobaskets posted:

26 hours into the game & I just realized that bodies you can loot/skin show up as tiny little shaded x's on your mini-map :ughh:

I suspect this is responsible for a lot of the "buffalo rifle = gib and no corpse" reports, too.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Buffalo rifle definitely gibs smaller animals.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
The Bolt-Action rifle also gibs the smaller critters. Even some of the smaller birds.

That's a job for the revolver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Howard Beale posted:

The Bolt-Action rifle also gibs the smaller critters. Even some of the smaller birds.

That's a job for the revolver.
I've gibbed hawks with a pump-action shotgun, too. That was pretty surprising.

• Locked thread