Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Count me in DylanSesco for some RDR fun.

PS3: ZoSo_Wizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Look Adopted
Mar 31, 2010
I was on the Master Hunter mission where you have to melee a bear with the knife. So I'm in Tall Trees shooting some elk when a bear blindsides me from the back. I panic trying to pull my knife out and end up shoving the bear. To my dismay the bear takes off running from me. I felt like a total badass since I just intimated a grizzly bear by shoving it off me. I chased it all through the woods trying to knife it only to be mauled to death by his friend.

Also some of John's one liners after shooting animals are great. Especially "Thank Darwin".

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
This has to be the best game I have ever played. I just finished it.

What an awesome ending.

John dies, and you get to come back as his son and take care of rest and get revenge. Pure awesome.

With that said I am really looking forward to the DLC for any single player they might enhance that with. It would be great to go to all the towns again and they talk about Jack's father - Visit Bonnie, Seth, the unethical elixer vendor, etc - and see how the world has changed based on what had happened when John was still alive

This is also one of the only games I want to play to 100% completion now. ADD or no, it just doesn't ever seem to get old.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Utnayan posted:

This has to be the best game I have ever played. I just finished it.

It's by far the best game I've ever played too :glomp:
(and i have like 3 lvl 70 wow characters)

The real shakabuku for me is the comparison between this game & fallout 3. When I was playing Fallout 3 I was blown away & this game makes that one feel choppy & forced.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

fishtobaskets posted:

It's by far the best game I've ever played too :glomp:
(and i have like 3 lvl 70 wow characters)

The real shakabuku for me is the comparison between this game & fallout 3. When I was playing Fallout 3 I was blown away & this game makes that one feel choppy & forced.

Plus sawed-off shotguns feel muuuch better in RDR :clint:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

fishtobaskets posted:

26 hours into the game & I just realized that bodies you can loot/skin show up as tiny little shaded x's on your mini-map :ughh:

1 day 18 hours in before I realized you could sell more than 1 item at once (up and down on the left joystick) at shops.... after a good hunt it would take me at least 5 minutes selecting "sell" each time for each item... :downs:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

beanieson posted:

1 day 18 hours in before I realized you could sell more than 1 item at once (up and down on the left joystick) at shops.... after a good hunt it would take me at least 5 minutes selecting "sell" each time for each item... :downs:

Hah, I didn't realize this for the longest time either. For some reason the thought "Hmm, maybe they thought of how annoying this is and there's a better way to do it" didn't even cross my mind, I just accidentally hit down on my joystick once.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Well, I just finished the game and I have to say, while I didn't exactly like the ending, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Mainly, I don't like the fact that I can't play as John anymore. It's really cruel that you play through the whole game with one character, you watch his journey, his interaction with people and the world, you grow attached to him, then he gets killed and you have to play the game with someone you just met, and you don't get to see him interact with any of the characters, therefore the game doesn't build his. But, it is just a game and in the end it doesn't make that much of a difference, but I really did like John and I want to play with him again.

Also, the revenge against Moss (I think that was his name) was very, very weak and unsatisfying. You spend 5 minutes tracking him down, do the whole "You killed my pa!" and blam, he's dead. It seemed so empty to me, I was hoping for a really nice revenge to wrap up the story.

That aside, at least the game did something totally unique and different with it's ending. Even though it's not a happy one, it's definitely original.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ez posted:

That aside, at least the game did something totally unique and different with it's ending. Even though it's not a happy one, it's definitely original.

I have to admit, it took me by surprise since every Rockstar game has the main character survive so that you can continue playing around in the game world. When John got shot up, I honestly thought I hadn't shot the 'right' people or something until it switched over to Jack and Abigel.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

I have to admit, it took me by surprise since every Rockstar game has the main character survive so that you can continue playing around in the game world. When John got shot up, I honestly thought I hadn't shot the 'right' people or something until it switched over to Jack and Abigel.

That's another thing that bugged me about the ending. I know it was mentioned on the last page but it's really annoying that they give you the dead eye effect to shoot at the gang that kills you. You can't survive, you can't really do anything but take out a couple guys that does nothing. It's really cruel to make you think you can make a difference, but it's just false hope.

I miss John so much. :smith:

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Oh man you've got to love this game, typical encounter:

I ride up to a campsite, theres a man at a big pot, and one tied up next to a big pile of blood and guts. I shoot the cannibal and untie the dude. He's down on his knees thanking me. Marston comments 'You're lucky to be alive, friend.' The dude walks not ten steps when he treads on a rattler, which bites and kills him.

Livin' in the old west, I tell you whut.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ez posted:

Well, I just finished the game and I have to say, while I didn't exactly like the ending, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Mainly, I don't like the fact that I can't play as John anymore. It's really cruel that you play through the whole game with one character, you watch his journey, his interaction with people and the world, you grow attached to him, then he gets killed and you have to play the game with someone you just met, and you don't get to see him interact with any of the characters, therefore the game doesn't build his. But, it is just a game and in the end it doesn't make that much of a difference, but I really did like John and I want to play with him again.

Also, the revenge against Moss (I think that was his name) was very, very weak and unsatisfying. You spend 5 minutes tracking him down, do the whole "You killed my pa!" and blam, he's dead. It seemed so empty to me, I was hoping for a really nice revenge to wrap up the story.

This is all totally intentional. END SPOILERS Jack has no purpose. The only thing in his life is taking revenge on an old man who's already won in every way and has lived a full, ripe life. All he has to look forward to in life is wandering around with no purpose; Just like John would've started out like. Despite John's efforts to give his son a better life, the cycle continues. Jack is just an angry young man with no family and no direction in life.

Oh, and it's also a neat way for the game to go "Okay, you finished the story, now you can stop roleplaying and just dick around as much as you want." Let's face it, your behavior after you beat a sandbox game gets way crazier than when you're doing missions.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

BIG SPOILERS HERE DONT CLICK THEM IF YOU HAVEN'T BEAT THE GAME

I was honestly hugely relieved that I didn't have to play as 16-year-old Jack, I was worried I was going to have to when it initially switched me over.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Utnayan posted:

This is also one of the only games I want to play to 100% completion now. ADD or no, it just doesn't ever seem to get old.

Just make sure you don't erase your save file! Your urge to get 100% will diminish rapidly after about an hour of trying to stab cougars for the second time

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just make sure you don't erase your save file! Your urge to get 100% will diminish rapidly after about an hour of trying to stab cougars for the second time

Really? I eagerly did Legend Of The West before I even finished the story (granted, I just like hunting in this game. Something about killing wolf packs for MAD LOOTS and money just made it satisfying to let loose a barrage of shotgun shells). The worst part of 100%ing is probably having to do all the bounties in different locations. I literally grinded "???" bounties in Messico.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Ez posted:

This is actually one of my favorite parts of the ending. The deflated emptiness of it. Edgar Ross's happy retirement, after living a decorated life. Reading the newspaper at Blackwater fills out his life after killing John, saying he received fame and honor for taking down Marston's former gang (including him) himself. Presumably Jack spent his time caring for his mother, and after laying her to rest, immediately set out for revenge. But having more epic setpieces (the ones before and after John's farmhand life were epic enough) would be defeating its purpose by glorifying revenge, instead of ruminating on justice, redemption, and loneliness.

It was an ending appropriate for a post-Unforgiven Eastwood directed movie. Though, Edgar Ross probably would've had a more explored perspective, but this is a game following the Marstons in the first person (as you) instead of a movie, novel, or awful Japanese videogame cutscene that would focus on heavy-handed cutscene exposition of the plot.

I am just so impressed with Rockstar's execution of their ending, and the thematic fulfillment of the story, while still having you play it as a game. Even things like John switching to Deadeye as he opens the door, I can't believe we had goons bitching about it earlier in the thread. You lived his last moments through the game as John, using his keen talent to kill as many heads as possible for killing your uncle and nearly killing your family. This stuff reminds me of things like the Microwave Hallway in MGS4, using gameplay elements to make the player the main character in a harrowing, interactive moment that really delivers an experience removed from films and TV. I feel like the right developers are really coming to terms with games as a storytelling medium, and critics who say games aren't art need to experience things like RDR and Mass Effect 2 to really see how far some developers have come.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 3, 2010

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

sclark13 posted:

Count me in DylanSesco for some RDR fun.

PS3: ZoSo_Wizard

Didn't get to play long, I'm having issues with my connection (replacing my 10 year old router tomorrow, posted about it in the PS3 hardware thread) so we only played for a little bit, and I would jump on now but my girlfriend is hogging it to play Uncharted 2 :(

If you haven't already I'll send you an invite so we can kill some god drat mexicans together (my girlfriend is mexican, this is where my frustration comes from).

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
Well ya cattle rustlers, trying to get a few good men to do some EXP grinding/plain old killing anyone we see! Join on in goons!

PSN: Its_a_trapzorz

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Killing a bear with the knife is the most needlessly frustrating bullshit I've experienced in a game in a long time. I see other people have had problems with it. I spent the past hour trying to do it. I tried everything: weakening it with shots, lassoing then running around and swiping, swiping from the horse, and so on and so on and I can't seem to loving land that killing blow. A few minutes ago I had a bear with two shots from the Le Mat, like four knife swipes, and I'm fairly sure it was almost dead, although I chased it halfway across the map and then it decided to turn and start attacking again. I grabbed the lasso, nailed it, then went to switch to the knife, ran around, and put a bullet right into it killing it. I had trailed that bear for almost ten minutes, and my fatal knife swipe turned into a fatal gun shot because the weapon interface is clumsy. Ugh. This is the only real negative experience I've had with the game so far (that and herding), but Jesus it's a frustrating one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just got to Blackwater and I can't figure out if my game is glitching or not.

I see that I have a house on the map and it's marked green. When I approach it, the house marker just disappears. The door won't open. When I walk away, the green house icon reappears.

Same with the gunsmith. When I walk into his shop, it's empty and the gunsmith icon disappears.

Glitch y/n? Should I at least be able to buy a house in Blackwater?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I had no problem knifing bears by just lassoing it and running up to it and shanking it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
You are given the house in Blackwater when you arrive. It is in the second story of the saloon. The Gunsmith in Blackwater is weird. He's usually never in his shop. However, he will eventually show up.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I see that I have a house on the map and it's marked green. When I approach it, the house marker just disappears. The door won't open. When I walk away, the green house icon reappears.

Same with the gunsmith. When I walk into his shop, it's empty and the gunsmith icon disappears.

That sounds like a glitch to me. I've never had a problem getting into the house in Blackwater (you don't have to buy it, it's just there). The shopkeepers have been consistently unreliable, but I've never had the problem you're describing - when the icon shows up, they've always been there.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I take back my praise of multiplayer. It loses luster very quickly.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

Martytoof posted:

If it's at the Saloon, it's inside it and upstairs, not round the back. Same thing happened to me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Haha ok I think everything might be OK then. I'll check out the saloon next time I boot the game, and as for the gunsmith -- v:)v

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Martytoof posted:

Haha ok I think everything might be OK then. I'll check out the saloon next time I boot the game, and as for the gunsmith -- v:)v

By the time you get to Blackwater you probably know this but, shops are only open during regular hours...

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

So can blocking with the knife (hold RB/R1) block animal attacks or not? I've heard both answers, so I'm trying to figure out if my timing is just off or what.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

God drat.
I've been the chief source of advice for all my other friends playing this game. I don't remember a single mission that pissed me off or made me scream, 'impossible!' Overall I felt that the singleplayer was pretty easy and I occasionally had to remind myself that medicine was there to be used.

Then I get into public free roam and EVERYBODY is killing me, meanwhile I've only killed one jackass at a transport hub probably cycling through destinations and cursing my cheap shot. Nobody wants to posse, or talk, or cooperate amidst about six sessions I migrated amongst. Probably what I get for not looking for the goon metatag.

I at least knocked out 'Hit the Trail.'

Marco D. Sanchez
Nov 17, 2009

Ok not sure if i got lucky but for Master hunter rank 8. I tapped L2 to take out the knife and started pressing R2 while running around him. The bear didn't even touch me that way.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

404notfound posted:

So can blocking with the knife (hold RB/R1) block animal attacks or not? I've heard both answers, so I'm trying to figure out if my timing is just off or what.

I've tried it against a cougar and it most definitely did not work. If timing is important, then maybe that would explain it, I just held the button down. I haven't tried it against any other animals but I'm willing to believe that it's pointless against cougars.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Ez posted:

That's another thing that bugged me about the ending. I know it was mentioned on the last page but it's really annoying that they give you the dead eye effect to shoot at the gang that kills you. You can't survive, you can't really do anything but take out a couple guys that does nothing. It's really cruel to make you think you can make a difference, but it's just false hope.

Well, I figure it's a nod to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. They're hopelessly outnumbered with no chance of escape. There's nothing else to do but go out shooting. Although I really hoped I could've hit Ross' sidekick if I couldn't get Ross right then.

Ross calmly lighting his cigar while John gasps his last breaths is an incredible shot. It makes Jack's "okay, now I'm done" reaction to his revenge feel more hollow. In this story, the good guy wins eventually but the bad guy gets the satisfaction.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I've managed to block a cougar once with the knife. The cougar sort of hung on his arm being growly while John wrestled with it briefly and shoved it off. I still took damage but only a small bit.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Howard Beale posted:

Well, I figure it's a nod to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. They're hopelessly outnumbered with no chance of escape. There's nothing else to do but go out shooting. Although I really hoped I could've hit Ross' sidekick if I couldn't get Ross right then.

Ross calmly lighting his cigar while John gasps his last breaths is an incredible shot. It makes Jack's "okay, now I'm done" reaction to his revenge feel more hollow. In this story, the good guy wins eventually but the bad guy gets the satisfaction.

Except you can't call it a win at all. Ross is considered a hero, and is instrumental in shaping the way the country ends up; in a sense, he's responsible for the world you and I now inhabit. Sure, he's eventually gunned down, but by then he's an old man in retirement. He has no regrets, he's not even remorseful, just kinda annoyed that you interrupt his duck hunt. Ross wins, no matter how you look at it.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Crappy Jack posted:

Except you can't call it a win at all. Ross is considered a hero, and is instrumental in shaping the way the country ends up; in a sense, he's responsible for the world you and I now inhabit. Sure, he's eventually gunned down, but by then he's an old man in retirement. He has no regrets, he's not even remorseful, just kinda annoyed that you interrupt his duck hunt. Ross wins, no matter how you look at it.

What about the fact that I splattered his wife and brother's brains all over the dirt? I call that a loving win.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

About the ending:

First of all, John's death and Ross's "victory" is probably a metaphor of the age of the cowboy dying and making space for progress. No more horses, cars (he even comments on this when riding the car with the FBI). No more vigilantes and bounty hunters and the code of the west, but proper law and police enforcement, etc. etc. Ross does indeed win but he doesn't enjoy a long retirement (1 year?) before "justice" catches up with him.

Secondly, John's going out in a blaze of glory at the end instead of, I dunno, riding away with his family didn't make sense to me at the start - however, he figured out that Ross wouldn't leave him alone till he got him, and so his family would always be in danger as long as he stuck around. So he goes out and gets killed - similar to Sin City's "That yellow bastard" segment and Hartigan's ultimate sacrifice; in RDR case, "An old man dies, a young family lives". In the end, especially with Jack's coda, I can safely say this is one of the best endings for a videogame I've ever experienced. The last shot, with Jack turning to the camera, freeze frame, credits roll and "Deadman's Gun" starts playing - perfection.

Wow, that's the most :words: I've ever spent on a videogame.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I loved the ending.. It was very fitting to the theme of redemption, and also very "Western."

I'd love a sequel prequel? where you play as more of an outlaw character though... Seems like a lot of missed opportunities no bank/train robberies... most of the havoc you can start really feels wrong while playing as John.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Crappy Jack posted:

Except you can't call it a win at all.

I see your point, and I can agree with you that Ross wins. The three years in between have given him success and happiness. Jack spent those three years mourning his father, trying to keep the ranch afloat, and finally setting off for himself once his mother dies. It sounds pretty drat miserable.

But even if Jack does not get the "win", he does achieve his goal of revenge. It's the one story-related goal that the game gives him, but the victory is hollow. Ok, yeah, there's the satisfaction of blowing Ross' head apart and sending him into the river, frontier justice served, but once it's done, Jack has nothing. (Except for his dad's money. And any pelts and meat his dad had on him the day of the attack, still fresh after 3 years. And the ranch and the horses and okay, I'll stop.)

This is where the main storyline leaves Jack: at the head of a trail with a mighty big world ahead. And all he's gained is the satisfaction of settling a debt. He got what he wanted, but where does he go now? Who does he turn to? Is Bonnie still available?

I'm glad it's a hollow victory for Jack. I'm glad the bad guy prospers and is ready when time comes for retribution. It is a great way to end an epic.

And I'm also glad John Marston got the chance to go out, guns a-blazin. The story has two very different endings and I liked that.

(Sorry for all the spoiler text thar.)

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

endgame spoilers,

Howard Beale posted:

Although I really hoped I could've hit Ross' sidekick if I couldn't get Ross right then.

I don't think that was Archer. I think that was The Stranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

skoolmunkee posted:

endgame spoilers,

I don't think that was Archer. I think that was The Stranger.

The red dead wikia refutes that rumor, although I didn't pay attention myself when I played through that bit.

Although, He really should be in the crowd there.. It would have been an awesome easter egg fitting to the character.

• Locked thread