Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

SMP posted:

I think I remember reading it here, but does anyone have the link for the second life griefing that involved an awful sonic the hedgehog model. There was another one that involved players houses and trees.

talking about this?

:nws:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imd-AF6lIO0:nws:

e: ah crap new page :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Not really a big grief compared to the ones in this thread, but in Anarchy Online, there is a certain dungeon. The shortest path to the dungeon, at one point, involves a brief run through a PVP area.

I killed someone there, and he went and got his friends and followed me for more than an hour yelling at me about how dishonorable and gay, etc, I was for ganking him outside of a proper duel.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Dizz posted:

talking about this?

Hahaha, wow. If that is what he was talking about, I would like to see more of it. Those sound effects were spot on.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Dizz posted:

talking about this?

I haven't laughed at any game griefing video as much as this. I don't know what it is but it's so perfect, I might actually have to try second life just to do things like this.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

A Bad Poster posted:

Hahaha, wow. If that is what he was talking about, I would like to see more of it. Those sound effects were spot on.

The scariest part of that video were the sonic players talking. they easily must have been over the age of 25 and they're playing pretend sonic characters :frog:

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
I used to play Counter-Strike: Source and even was an admin on a very good server. I was very good at the game (Though the people who I played with ranged from very good to god-like), and it was good fun, but half of the fun was the fuckery that happened in the public server. It was clearly labeled an 18+ server with Friendly Fire on, etc, and we tolerated no bitching. Admin powers make griefing people too easy, and there is no better griefing target than the rule-breaking player who responds to polite requests to not be a twat with vulgarities. Slapping people for 0 damage so they go soaring straight off the map, burrying them in the group (my favorite), "Llama-ing" them (turns all their chats into things like "Bleat! Mooo! Ooorgle" with appropriate sound effects (useful for people who just say "friend of the family!" all the time), so on and so forth. The king of these things, though, was certain admins (not me, the server owner and his personal friends) could actually remotely reconfigure people's config files. Some particularly annoying 12-year-old kid got his mouse sensitivity set to MAXINT, so that any movement of the mouse sent him spinning like a top. I subsequently convinced him with some technobable that we had actually sent a spike that hosed up the mouse controller on his mainboard, and that he'd need a new one. He cried. It was awesome.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Dizz posted:

talking about this?

This is amazing.

Crossposted from the WoW forum:

I was running through the Southern portion of a large low-level zone called The Barrens on my character, an Alliance Druid, when I came across a max level Horde Blood Elf Hunter and his low level Shaman friend. Rather than attacking, I decided not to be a total dick just yet, nodded at the pair and moved on.

As I approached the border of the zone between the Barrens and the canyon-like Thousand Needles, the hunter ignores my earlier peaceful passing and stuns me with a wyvern sting, then kills me near the zone border, his friend and him laughing at my corpse.

What they don't know, is that I am a Balance-specced Druid.

Now, Thousand Needles is a canyon, as I said before, and to get there from the Barrens, one must descend on one of two elevators, located right next to each other. Not even a max-leveled character can survive a fall off the elevator platform.

Sure enough, the Hunter and his little buddy decide to wait for me to respawn to presumably corpse camp me, and another level 80 druid has come out of the woodwork to help them do it.

Fine, i'm up for some World PVP. It is the main reason I rolled on a PVP server. I take the lift up as a ghost, float behind the druid, hunter and low-level shaman, and click the Resurrect button. They turn around and start to attack, but I'm quicker than they are- I unleash the balance Druid ability 'Typhoon,' which is a giant pink wave that knocks enemies back a few feet. All three would-be gankers are thrown off the edge of the elevator platform, falling deep in the canyon to their death. The best part is that, since the fall is what kills them, they take durability damage to their gear, costing a decent amount of gold.

The Druid wises up and bails. I remain on top of the lift, hidden from view while prowling in my Druid cat form. They can't be stupid enough to come up the elevator to attack me, can they? Sure enough, the hunter and shaman get on the elevator, and I sit invisible, unleashing another typhoon when they reach the top of the elevator. Death by falling. For the next hour I sit and wait as the hunter and shaman try to fake me out, taking a different elevator, laying traps, all futile. The end result is the same- typhooned to their deaths. After this has happened about 5 times, they start yelling in Orcish in general chat. They still won't learn. Eventually, they wise up (despite 10+ consecutive times being blasted off the lift) and leave, leaving the canyon littered with skeletons and blood elf tears.

I hopped on a newly created Horde character, named KerocolaAir, and whisper them about the frequent flyer miles they've accrued, and inquire as to whether they'd enjoyed their flight.

Tyelord, the level 80 hunter, apparently did not, as he vowed: "COME HERE I WILL KILL U BAD"

Thanks for the hour of fun, guys

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

KeroKeroCola posted:

Crossposted from the WoW forum:

Having never played WoW, how much money did they lose through their gear getting damaged by all those drops? I hope it was a lot.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

A Bad Poster posted:

Having never played WoW, how much money did they lose through their gear getting damaged by all those drops? I hope it was a lot.

They may have fully hosed over their armor by that, but it'd be at max like 50-100g. Which is like 8 daily quests. Not too much, but enough to be slightly annoying. The stick is that they actually tried to fight him in that situation for an hour, that's the aggravation, not the gold. The low level paid maybe 2-5 gold.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

A Bad Poster posted:

Sadly, when your gear "breaks", you just lose the stats and armor on them until you get it repaired. Then it works just fine.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Ah, alright. I got the main rage that they felt from that, I was hoping that the armor damage would have added more injury to the insult and injury.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

A Bad Poster posted:

Ah, alright. I got the main rage that they felt from that, I was hoping that the armor damage would have added more injury to the insult and injury.

As a level 80, anyone besides another level 80 even touching you in pvp is unheard of. He should be able to just about 1 shot anything below level 60, and 2 shot anything above without even blinking.

The amount of skill it takes for the hunter to kill the balance druid is a right click. And a hunter uses ranged weapons, so hes doing it from 40 yards or so away, less range then the "typhoon" ability.

Having this overbearing advantage and still dying is the source of frustration.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Dizz posted:

talking about this?

I really hope someone makes something like that, only in grid-crasher scale and volume maxed.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Dizz posted:

talking about this?

Oh my god ouch, my stomach! This had me in tears! The three cigars in his mouth just threw it over the edge for me!

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

pw pw pw posted:

That's ridiculous. So you got a nicely-worded letter telling you to stop using the item that does exactly what they programmed it to?

I have a friend on Wizard101 who got a warning about using smilies.

Now the funny thing is, Wizard101 has their own dictionary. :) is in the dictionary, and he got reported for using a smiley after his teammate asked him to stop using smilies. He was reported for 'harassment'.

Oh and if anyone decides to play Wizard 101, don't buy a years subscription you will kill yourself. I got to the endgame on one $10 gift card. In less than 30 days.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

mynameisbatman posted:

I haven't laughed at any game griefing video as much as this. I don't know what it is but it's so perfect, I might actually have to try second life just to do things like this.

You should try it. People in second life are so easy to drive up the wall doing basically nothing, just showing up at a goth poetry reading in a neon clown outfit had people yelling at me in tears for ruining their performance.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

KeroKeroCola posted:

"COME HERE I WILL KILL U BAD"

I don't usually like the WoW-griefing posted, but this is pretty hilarious. Just the fact that they tried AN HOUR to take you down blows my mind. Of course, the fact that you spent AN HOUR just standing there basically is also pretty weird to me, but I don't play MMOs.

I tried planetside for a little bit when some friends of mine got back into it for a free trial weekend. I only made one kill my entire day(3 hours) of playing it- I was on some bridge over a river and firing randomly at a tank or something (I kept dying, I didn't really care at this point) and I noticed a guy jump into the water and start sniping.

I don't know if you can stay underwater indefinitely, but he was just chilling out down there taking pot shots at infantry trying to cross the bridge. So of course I jumped in and knifed him. It took forever, but the guy didn't even turn around. I didn't think much of it until I got a semi-long PM from the guy talking about how I shouldn't be killing people behind their backs and how I should come to the place where "we first met in battle" so we can settle this.

I haven't played that game since, but sometimes I think he's still waiting out there for me, under the purple tree by the bridge.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Hard Clumping posted:

I don't usually like the WoW-griefing posted, but this is pretty hilarious. Just the fact that they tried AN HOUR to take you down blows my mind. Of course, the fact that you spent AN HOUR just standing there basically is also pretty weird to me, but I don't play MMOs.

I tried planetside for a little bit when some friends of mine got back into it for a free trial weekend. I only made one kill my entire day(3 hours) of playing it- I was on some bridge over a river and firing randomly at a tank or something (I kept dying, I didn't really care at this point) and I noticed a guy jump into the water and start sniping.

I don't know if you can stay underwater indefinitely, but he was just chilling out down there taking pot shots at infantry trying to cross the bridge. So of course I jumped in and knifed him. It took forever, but the guy didn't even turn around. I didn't think much of it until I got a semi-long PM from the guy talking about how I shouldn't be killing people behind their backs and how I should come to the place where "we first met in battle" so we can settle this.

I haven't played that game since, but sometimes I think he's still waiting out there for me, under the purple tree by the bridge.

Most people in these guys' situation would have realized that a class with a knockback (Balance Druid/Elemental Shaman) could hold the spot that I was in indefinitely, pretty much. I was actually reading and doing laundry while passively working on an achievement (World Explorer) when the dudes killed me. All I really had to do was check the screen occasionally to see if they were taking the elevator, then launch a typhoon at the fools.

It's essentially the equivalent of sitting on top of a building in Resident Evil 4 and pushing the ladder down while zombies are climbing it. They put the ladder back in place, start climbing, I push it down again, repeat ad nauseum.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

It's the equivilant to watching a jackass on the street bang a can of soda on the ground because he doesn't know how to open it.

I played wow a lot back before I realized being sober is not a good way to enjoy the game. Moments like he mentioned are pretty rare, unless you have an epidemic of stupid people who don't realize that there are 3 different ways out of that blasted canyon.

I've spent many hours griefing people who thought that my little lowbie character warranted a killing. Its essentially like playing an FPS and the person sucks so bad that you find new and interesting ways of killing someone.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Soulex posted:

Its essentially like playing an FPS and the person sucks so bad that you find new and interesting ways of killing someone.

Exactly. Another example of this was when I took my hunter to the Ghostlands, a low-level Blood Elf zone a bunch of months back. Now Ghostlands is a Horde-specific zone, meaning that as an Alliance player, I cannot attack a Horde player unless they flag themselves for PVP, or attack me first. This is done to prevent extensive camping/griefing of lowbies, but there are loopholes.

One of the Hunter class specialties is taming wild animals as pets, which you use to fight for you. The Ghostlands has a lot of bats flying around, and Blood Elves spend a decent amount of time killing them for quests and such, and as luck would have it, they are tameable by hunters. So I tamed <a vampire mistbat>, and renamed it something that sounded like it might be a quest mob <Hairfang>. I hid in the shadows near Tranquillen, the town and quest hub for Ghostlands, where the Blood Elves and other Horde congregate, and typed in an emote "Kerokerocola whispers to Hairfang, The Elves are ripe for slaughter. Attack!" Then cast a spell that allows me to control the bat. I flew Hairfang straight into the town, and headed for a group of newbie Elves, who took the bait. They all attacked the bat, thinking it was a quest mob and ignoring the fact that it says "Kerokerocola's pet" underneath the name. Since they were flagged for PVP, I was able to launch a volley of arrows, slaughtering all 4 elves.

Dick move? Definitely, but loopholes are fun to exploit.

Edit:

Ah, that's right. Well, they fell for it anyways.

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 2, 2010

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

KeroKeroCola posted:

"Kerokerocola whispers to Hairfang, The Elves are ripe for slaughter. Attack!"

To players of the opposite faction this would show up as "Kerokerocola makes some strange motions."

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

There was also an engineering trinket that let you do this as well. Brown Rabbits looked like the little critters running around and didn't have a player name underneath to my recollection.

The video starts of small but I found one of it being used in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HDmofvQrzw It starts slow, but around the 1 minute mark you see more consistantly where this could keep people entertained.

Much like this and the story of Lucky Strike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=3HNef5jAeQc Only this time, it's sheep.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
The best WoW griefing was to sit seemingly AFK next to the elvators in 1000 Needles waiting for some random person to see your afk tag to try and get the easy kill. There was an engineering trinket called the mind control helmet or something which let you take control of an opposing character. The natural thing to do in this case was to "mind control" them off the cliff to their death. They've probably nerfed this item by now.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you have an 80 priest, duel people while on the zeppelin platform when you see it coming and mind control them off. Got some great reactions from this one on the test servers.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Fear spells used to be able to do this too, but now I think they're nerfed so no one will ever run off a cliff while feared.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

MageMage posted:

I have a friend on Wizard101 who got a warning about using smilies.

Now the funny thing is, Wizard101 has their own dictionary. :) is in the dictionary, and he got reported for using a smiley after his teammate asked him to stop using smilies. He was reported for 'harassment'.

Oh and if anyone decides to play Wizard 101, don't buy a years subscription you will kill yourself. I got to the endgame on one $10 gift card. In less than 30 days.

Isn't that a children's game? Like... Toon Town style?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

pw pw pw posted:

Isn't that a children's game? Like... Toon Town style?

Yup. the "free" version limites you to a specific level and only noob land if i recall correctly and to get to the other places you need to pay.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

Stuntman posted:

If you have an 80 priest, duel people while on the zeppelin platform when you see it coming and mind control them off. Got some great reactions from this one on the test servers.

You can also pick up engineering (or whatever it was) and build a mind control cap. This is what I did back before the cap was above 60. I loved running people off high places.

VVVVV EDIT: I'm dumb and didn't see this already mentioned before scrolling down the last bit of the page. Also, my facts are wrong. The MC cap doesn't allow you to run off ledges apparently (I had the cap on my low level rogue). The MC ability, which you can pick up at 30 (level 80 isn't required, unless that is something new), does allow this. I had a priest, and it's been so long that my memories are blurring.

Nerolus fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 3, 2010

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Nerolus posted:

You can also pick up engineering (or whatever it was) and build a mind control cap. This is what I did back before the cap was above 60. I loved running people off high places.

Which was mentioned in the post immediately prior to the one you quoted. Make sure you read the thread before 'adding' to it.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Nerolus posted:

The MC cap doesn't work like that. It makes people your pets, it doesn't let you take direct control of them.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
Edited ^^^. You're correct, touché. Here's a video for the non-WoW griefers that want to see it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN-xySlgzQI

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nerolus posted:

WoW engineers can also craft a couple different upgrades that turn their cloak into a parachute, preventing other players from killing them with a knockback. I was playing my Horde Shaman and punting players off the Alliance airship in Icecrown when an Alliance Shaman decided to try the same trick on me. I wish I could've seen the look on his face when I flew right back up and killed him.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
I was just remembering why Burnout: Paradise made me so happy when I played multiplayer.

It's not so much that you can grief, but every time you take out another player, the game takes a screenshot of their webcam and sends it to you. Most of the time people aren't dumb enough to leave their webcam in front of their face all the time so all you'll get is a name and a blank picture, but there were a couple times where I'd wreck some kid's car and I'd get a little fake drivers' license with his face on it. Since I had one of the toughest Demolition cars in the game, I kept challenging this kid to races and taking him out immediately. The last couple times I did this before he logged off, the game sent me the most hilarious pictures of him with his arms in the air and a pained, frustrated expression on his face. Shame I didn't think to save them.

e: if only TTT had this functionality

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Hard Clumping posted:

I was just remembering why Burnout: Paradise made me so happy when I played multiplayer.

It's not so much that you can grief, but every time you take out another player, the game takes a screenshot of their webcam and sends it to you. Most of the time people aren't dumb enough to leave their webcam in front of their face all the time so all you'll get is a name and a blank picture, but there were a couple times where I'd wreck some kid's car and I'd get a little fake drivers' license with his face on it. Since I had one of the toughest Demolition cars in the game, I kept challenging this kid to races and taking him out immediately. The last couple times I did this before he logged off, the game sent me the most hilarious pictures of him with his arms in the air and a pained, frustrated expression on his face. Shame I didn't think to save them.

This is loving amazing, and more games need this feature.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Hard Clumping posted:

That is hilarious, I take it you're referring to the PC version because nobody I know owns the PS3 Eye or 360 Live Vision webcams. I'm kind of glad my webcam has a big green light on the front that lights up when the camera is live to prevent these embarassments.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Your cam's pointed at a photo of goatse, right? for whenever you get taken out.

If not, why not? :colbert:

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Hard Clumping posted:

That's the coolesst thing ever, and I wish mw2 had a similar function. It would be nice if it caught the audio too, though.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

That is hilarious, I take it you're referring to the PC version because nobody I know owns the PS3 Eye or 360 Live Vision webcams. I'm kind of glad my webcam has a big green light on the front that lights up when the camera is live to prevent these embarassments.

Yeah, PC version, and even then finding someone with a webcam on is rare. Not enough slutty girls playing the game I guess :colbert:

QwertySanchez posted:

Your cam's pointed at a photo of goatse, right? for whenever you get taken out.

If not, why not? :colbert:

Who do you think you are, implying that I ever get beaten in a videogame? :smugbert:

I don't have a webcam- I suppose I could have used the software that people are using to play .gifs on Chatroulette, but I didn't even knew those existed at the time :-O

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 6, 2010

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

CaptainJuan posted:

That's the coolesst thing ever, and I wish mw2 had a similar function. It would be nice if it caught the audio too, though.

You'd most often see a vaguely human shaped blur and hear screeching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephrum
Feb 16, 2007

lol rednecks

Hard Clumping posted:

I don't have a webcam- I suppose I could have used the software that people are using to play .gifs on Chatroulette, but I didn't even knew those existed at the time :-O

https://www.manycam.com

• Locked thread