Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyrolion
May 25, 2007

merk posted:

I take back my praise of multiplayer. It loses luster very quickly.

Why so?? I haven't played much multi player yet... but the times I played it I had or no fun or lots of fun.. because 1 time I was fighting 4 other players .. alone. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
I really like the way the gameplay doesn't punish the player. When you die, it's no big deal. In fact, I think the game rewards you for failing missions by letting you start them again with (I believe) added ammunition for the gun you were using.

Plus there's none of the searching for health-ups. Having to buy fast food to sustain yourself in GTA San Andreas was especially annoying.

I don't feel like I'm fighting the game all the time, so when the screen flashes DEAD, I just wait for the autoload and have a sip of moonshine. Actual moonshine, not game moonshine.

beanieson, yours is truly the Citizen Kane of SA avatars.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gyrolion posted:

Why so?? I haven't played much multi player yet... but the times I played it I had or no fun or lots of fun.. because 1 time I was fighting 4 other players .. alone. :(

Multi player is sort of make or break depending on how many friends you can get with it. I manage to get enjoyment out of sniping people trying to grind Solomon's Folly or taking on people at El Presidio with my buffalo rifle (its funny when someone on Legend 3 accused me of having a "lag box") to annoy them. Spontaneous shootouts with the law with random people is kinda fun too.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

bitey posted:

I really like the way the gameplay doesn't punish the player. When you die, it's no big deal. In fact, I think the game rewards you for failing missions by letting you start them again with (I believe) added ammunition for the gun you were using.

Plus there's none of the searching for health-ups. Having to buy fast food to sustain yourself in GTA San Andreas was especially annoying.

I don't feel like I'm fighting the game all the time, so when the screen flashes DEAD, I just wait for the autoload and have a sip of moonshine. Actual moonshine, not game moonshine.

It is pretty forgiving with those checkpoints during missions... also, Marston can shrug off a ton of damage just by waiting in cover a few moments. I think I used medicine all of about 3 times throughout the entire game, and those were all during forced minigun segments when I couldn't take cover...

bitey posted:

beanieson, yours is truly the Citizen Kane of SA avatars.

:wotwot: Can't take credit, some glorious goon made it for the epic frog thread.

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:

Mills posted:

I am finding it infuriating to get US Marshals chasing me. $6000 bounty. Nothing.

I find it infuriating that I always screw up with less than half this bounty and die horribly. :(

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
Did anyone else (ending spoilers) notice the open window above the barn door as John was leaving and immediately think "Dynamite you fool!"? That's the one thing that irked me about the ending in that you could have easily killed all of the men outside but for plot's sake John is forced to go down guns blazing.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

fibblins posted:

Did anyone else (ending spoilers) notice the open window above the barn door as John was leaving and immediately think "Dynamite you fool!"? That's the one thing that irked me about the ending in that you could have easily killed all of the men outside but for plot's sake John is forced to go down guns blazing.

That was my first thought too, (high ground + rifle) but it's the FBI and US Army.... He may have killed that group and escaped, but they would have caught up to him eventually. John sacrifices himself so that his family can get away.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Rockstar needs to get off their asses and get those other challenges they have planned out there. As fun as this game is, there's going to be a big drop-off in players after the initial novelty wears off and people either finish the game or get bored.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Rockstar needs to get off their asses and get those other challenges they have planned out there. As fun as this game is, there's going to be a big drop-off in players after the initial novelty wears off and people either finish the game or get bored.

This is me right now really. I want to play, but I know they're going to start the new challenges sometime here, and I want my avatar clothes that you're apparently going to get for participating in them, so I figure I'll wait till they put them up to play. This leads to me not playing, and getting frustrated that they haven't put them up yet. I am a crazy person.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
Found the most hilarious way to kill people in free roam today. After watching the homing dynamite video I absolutely had to try it in multiplayer. Unfortunately you can't enter dead-eye with dynamite however it does work with throwing knives. I joined a room, found a dead-eye refill and ran around insta-killing people by sniping them with throwing knives until I was eventually booted for suspected cheating.

If you decide to try this be sure to turn on expert aiming so you can show everyone how pro you are when you knife them from 200 yds away.

mend1cant
Jul 16, 2009

Jesse was the best Gud damn gun i ever had.
Last night i was wondering about golden guns so i look on youtube and see videos of mods how to get golden guns and xp and all the mounts and legend 5. So i start to do this mod intending to get the gold guns only because thats what i clicked on.I get on RDR get to multiplayer next thing i know i got gold guns plus legend 5 and mounts and legendary character. Now i ride a super fast zebra with an old lady character with sagging tits to her ancle and a golden buffolo rifle.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.

beanieson posted:

That was my first thought too, (high ground + rifle) but it's the FBI and US Army.... He may have killed that group and escaped, but they would have caught up to him eventually. John sacrifices himself so that his family can get away.
I think it was a noble death, but still one downer of an ending, even if its a good downer. However the ending presents a :psypop: situation as Jack Marsden continues in his father's footsteps, quite literally, nothing's really changed at all despite years supposedly passing, besides the "remember my family" request.
I mean the old guy near Stillwater creek is still looking for flowers since I never completed it, shouldn't he and his wife be dead?
Frankly, they should've had the Jack killing Ross portion "on rails" and ended the game. When you re-loaded, you're back as John just before the final mission.

No game is ever perfect. Still, I loved it a lot.

Roshi fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 3, 2010

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Roshi posted:

ENDGAME: shouldn't he and his wife be dead?
It's only been three years.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Cat Machine posted:

It's only been three years.

Yeah, he's just a lazy gently caress who won't pick his own goddamn flowers.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I got confused at the endgame and hit the right stick in, exiting Deadeye without shooting anyone and just getting gunned down :smith:

I also didn't bother killing Ross's wife and brother cause I didn't really care and I was afraid of failing the mission

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

roffle posted:

I got confused at the endgame and hit the right stick in, exiting Deadeye without shooting anyone and just getting gunned down :smith:

Me too :(

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Does anyone have a link to the opening cutscene of the final mexico mission? It didn't play for me and suddenly Luisa is dead and I am dueling some guy and Reyes got captured? It made no sense at all.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Ran into an interesting glitch yesterday, I got caught cheating in Mexico and dueled with my semiauto pistol. Shot the gun out of the other guy's hand at the last possible instant.

He played the "won a gunfight" spin graphic, then walked away. With no gun.

Meanwhile I had no radar and couldn't get on a horse. Eventually I got bored and loaded a saved game.

Five minutes later I got caught cheating AGAIN and the EXACT same thing happened. So I murdered the guy and everything worked again.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

Does anyone have a link to the opening cutscene of the final mexico mission? It didn't play for me and suddenly Luisa is dead and I am dueling some guy and Reyes got captured? It made no sense at all.

I had the same glitch, reset the console and it should play the next time. Unless you're already past it, in which case:

You run into Reyes being tied up and beaten, Luisa tries to run out with a knife to save him, gets gunned down. You challenge the jailer to a duel, and you jump to where you were

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That entire mission is confusing at first because you're just walking around and there's rebels and soldiers fighting, but then they're not fighting very hard and at times, and then there's just rebels standing around doing nothing and the same can be said of the soldiers, and I couldn't tell what was going on.

In general I was just happy to get out of Mexico. That entire chapter seemed full of characters and plots I didn't care about or enjoy in the least, aside from the Wild Bill Hickok guy.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Martytoof posted:

That entire mission is confusing at first because you're just walking around and there's rebels and soldiers fighting, but then they're not fighting very hard and at times, and then there's just rebels standing around doing nothing and the same can be said of the soldiers, and I couldn't tell what was going on.
Yeah, it seemed pretty ridiculous that Marston, who has betrayed the Federales and aligned himself with the rebels, would be able to walk up to a capture Reyes and be all like 'yo, sup guys?' without any problems.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

mend1cant posted:

Last night i was wondering about golden guns so i look on youtube and see videos of mods how to get golden guns and xp and all the mounts and legend 5. So i start to do this mod intending to get the gold guns only because thats what i clicked on.I get on RDR get to multiplayer next thing i know i got gold guns plus legend 5 and mounts and legendary character. Now i ride a super fast zebra with an old lady character with sagging tits to her ancle and a golden buffolo rifle.

Is this on the Xbox? How did you do this?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I lingered a bit sadly as I took out the disc from my xbox, last night, seeing it for the first time since I placed it in over two weeks ago. Playing Mass Effect 2 DLC really confirmed to me that RDR was in fact my favorite game of the year.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.

Martytoof posted:

In general I was just happy to get out of Mexico. That entire chapter seemed full of characters and plots I didn't care about or enjoy in the least, aside from the Wild Bill Hickok guy.

I liked Mexico, sure some of the characters were terrible, but missions themselves were a lot of fun the two train missions, especially the first one on horseback, the poker game/duel and the federalies betrayal.

Tall Trees and the great plains however... Were really small, with no gang hangouts(on the XBOX 360 anyway) Shaving some area off New Austen and adding it to the latter two would've been nice. The missions on the ranch before the finale were boring, though narrative wise they made sense. Still we seriously go from raiding a fortress to cow herding?? I though end missions should be difficult, not pathetically easy.

Roshi fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 3, 2010

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

merk posted:

Is this on the Xbox? How did you do this?
You basically:
1) Copy your Xbox360 save file to USB.
2) Download a modified multiplayer save file.
3) Download a special Xbox360 save file modifying program.
4) Open both save files in the program, change the downloaded save as your personal save file.
5) Copy the new save file to your Xbox360.

I wouldn't be surprised if this causes you to get banned.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
In the time period that Redemption was set most of the native population were either eradicated or on reservations. Dutch's gang is mostly made up of natives, though, which is the only real presence they have in the game.

I too wish there were more, but that's just the way things were I guess :(

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

Cat Machine posted:

He loves his fellow man, that's what makes Ricketts a hero of the people.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cat Machine posted:

De Santa has some competition.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I was hoping that the Native American gang had some sort of happy ending, but sadly that's just not the reality.

I felt really bad for catching a Native thief in Blackwater. The shopkeeper started kicking him, so I beat the shopkeeper up, but the game wouldn't let me cut the thief free.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Timeless Appeal posted:

I was hoping that the Native American gang had some sort of happy ending, but sadly that's just not the reality.

I felt really bad for catching a Native thief in Blackwater. The shopkeeper started kicking him, so I beat the shopkeeper up, but the game wouldn't let me cut the thief free.
This is the wild West, son. Thievery earns you a throwing knife in the back from 200 yards no matter who you are. Unless you're me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You guys want to talk about dumb, I wore the bandana through a good part of my Mexico quests not realizing it would stop me from collecting fame (I'd already maxed out honour). Now I only have this last territory to fill up 1/3 of my fame bar. Hopefully there is some epic fighting to be had!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Martytoof posted:

You guys want to talk about dumb, I wore the bandana through a good part of my Mexico quests not realizing it would stop me from collecting fame (I'd already maxed out honour). Now I only have this last territory to fill up 1/3 of my fame bar. Hopefully there is some epic fighting to be had!
Win some duels by disarm to pick up 100 Fame per!

mend1cant
Jul 16, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

You basically:
1) Copy your Xbox360 save file to USB.
2) Download a modified multiplayer save file.
3) Download a special Xbox360 save file modifying program.
4) Open both save files in the program, change the downloaded save as your personal save file.
5) Copy the new save file to your Xbox360.

I wouldn't be surprised if this causes you to get banned.

it might theres always that chance, but people mod with usb's for alot of other games (modern warfare 2 for example) and never get banned.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

Win some duels by disarm to pick up 100 Fame per!

Oh nice. I've just been blowing people away. Thanks for the tip.

Though now that you mention it, I've been sucking hard at duelling lately. Does it get harder the further in the game you go? When I was just in/around Armadillo I would destroy people left and right and now I'm lucky if I can win 1/5 duels. My timing with the white cross is so bad. It almost feels like controller lag because I THINK i'm hitting fire when the cross turns white.

mend1cant
Jul 16, 2009

beanieson posted:

they could have ran to mexico

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

mend1cant posted:

they could have ran to mexico

Into a raging civil war?

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Martytoof posted:

Oh nice. I've just been blowing people away. Thanks for the tip.

Though now that you mention it, I've been sucking hard at duelling lately. Does it get harder the further in the game you go? When I was just in/around Armadillo I would destroy people left and right and now I'm lucky if I can win 1/5 duels. My timing with the white cross is so bad. It almost feels like controller lag because I THINK i'm hitting fire when the cross turns white.

Funnily enough it's far easier to disarm people than to kill them.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Slantedfloors posted:

Into a raging civil war?

Oh it seemed pretty calm. Really it was like 2 towns that kinda didn't like each other!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Zero Karizma posted:

Oh it seemed pretty calm. Really it was like 2 towns that kinda didn't like each other!

That's because you didn't hear about that rear end in a top hat running around, leading both sides into bloody battles for his own end and killing hundreds.

• Locked thread