Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hipster werewolf
Mar 4, 2006

Ulta posted:

How would the avenger interact with that rule? Having him twice as likely to break a weapon doesn't seem fair, but neither does having it only happen .002% of the time doesn't seem right either.

Maybe if both of the attack rolls are either 1 or 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The easy answer is Avenger doesn't interact with that rule because there are no Avengers on Athas. That is not a very satisfactory answer, though.

Personally, I don't like rolling a 1 having the potential to be more beneficial than rolling a 2 or 3. I'd prefer something like if you roll a 1 to hit, make a saving throw for your weapon; if you fail, it's broken.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Elves: remarkably good at not breaking weapons.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Avengers roll twice, and pick one. If they roll (e.g.) 1 and 2, they can choose to use either roll; if they choose the 1, they can then choose to reroll, and their weapon breaks. If they choose the 2, however, there are no special benefits or penalties.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

PeterWeller posted:

Every captain needs a first mate. Come with me, MML. We shall sail the silt seas and begin a reign of terror across the Forked Tongue Estuary that will cause terror even in the heart of Dregoth.

Also, I've been listening to the podcast and that poo poo is pretty funny.

Pirates of the Silt Sea would be an awesome campaign.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pirates of Absolutely No Water.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
In an effort regain my thread cred I give you fine folks this:

So who's got :10bux::10bux::10bux: ?

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 3, 2010

Anisotropic Shader
Nov 25, 2005

You're talkin' about what would basically be the most important model train layout of all time you realize.
PA podcast spoilers for the non-wastelanders in the thread :smug: :

Totally calling that the thing in the bone maze is a GAJ.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

ManMythLegend posted:

In an effort regain my thread cred I give you fine folks this:

So who's got :10bux::10bux::10bux: ?

If I buy that I think I'd have to kill myself just in the level of dorkness involved in buying a Dark Sun joke emote for the subforum of a subforum of Something Awful's Games section.

Looks good though!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

shotgunbadger posted:

If I buy that I think I'd have to kill myself just in the level of dorkness involved in buying a Dark Sun joke emote for the subforum of a subforum of Something Awful's Games section.

Looks good though!

So what you're saying is we need a viral marketing campaign where we just post in across the forums until some random dork from GBS buys it for us.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

ManMythLegend posted:

So what you're saying is we need a viral marketing campaign where we just post in across the forums until some random dork from GBS buys it for us.

Bingo, GBS has bought far worse for far more stupid inside jokes.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
get GBS to give me an av cert first

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Put it in any of the Fallout 1 & 2 threads that spring up in Games, and it will be bought before you finish posting it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

moths posted:

Put it in any of the Fallout 1 & 2 threads that spring up in Games, and it will be bought before you finish posting it.

I like the cut of your jib young man.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

We definitely need Moths on this boat.

Riidi WW
Sep 16, 2002

by angerbeet

PeterWeller posted:

The easy answer is Avenger doesn't interact with that rule because there are no Avengers on Athas. That is not a very satisfactory answer, though.

But ISN'T there no divine power source on Athas?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Well it's unsatisfactory in that you should be able to use the inferior weapons rules in any campaign, including those with the Avenger and other divine classes.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
There isn't anything in that rule that's incompatible with Avenger mechanics..?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

No there's not. It was a pithy joke answer.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Squizzle posted:

Yeah, I think you found the reason: it'd give some already-high accuracy classes (e.g. rogues)--especially those with cheap weapons (e.g. rogues)--avenger-type benefits.

Except they'd need a stock of magic weapons to do that effectively, so it wouldn't, really.

Really I'm not a particular fan of that rule. Most of what it means is that you'll never risk your non-metal weapons, and usually risk your metal ones.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Android Blues posted:

Except they'd need a stock of magic weapons to do that effectively, so it wouldn't, really.

Not if you're using inherent bonuses, which you probably should be. Just buy 80 cheap flint daggers, and go to town.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Squizzle posted:

Not if you're using inherent bonuses, which you probably should be. Just buy 80 cheap flint daggers, and go to town.

Oh, point. In an inherent bonuses campaign I like that rule a heck of a lot better!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Breakable magic weapons made me wince, but then I realized that you could probably still use their remains as residuum for making new ones later.

Still, with the exception of weapons with stories behind them, I think Dark Sun works a lot better as an inherent bonuses campaign. A hardass is someone who can pick up a cactus and hit a body with it. A paragon-level hardass is someone who can take that same cactus and knock a body's head off with it.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Bieeardo posted:

Breakable magic weapons made me wince, but then I realized that you could probably still use their remains as residuum for making new ones later.

Still, with the exception of weapons with stories behind them, I think Dark Sun works a lot better as an inherent bonuses campaign. A hardass is someone who can pick up a cactus and hit a body with it. A paragon-level hardass is someone who can take that same cactus and knock a body's head off with it.

Chronicles of Riddick was a horrible film but the 'I'm gonna kill you with this teacup' scene was pretty Dark Sun.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
I figure it'll be just like rust monsters where if your magic item gets broken oh dearie me it just happened to break into enough shards and residum and such to sell for a new one/be reforged.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yeah, inherent bonuses are where it's at. Dark Sun is a setting where you shouldn't get attached to your gear. Your character should be like Conan, always losing your gear and having to loot new poo poo.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The ideal use for weapon breakage rules is to use them to reroll a power to kill a guy, then pick up that guy's weapon and use it to kill the next guy.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

That is Conan as gently caress and thus totally appropriate.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Squizzle posted:

The ideal use for weapon breakage rules is to use them to reroll a power to kill a guy, then pick up that guy's weapon and use it to kill the next guy.

If there isn't a rule for beating a man to death with his friend's arm, this is not Dark Sun.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

+1 wastelands bonus to damage.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Bieeardo posted:

I thought heroic would be picking up your buddy and hitting a cactus with him. Cacti in Dark Sun are scary!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Good point. Now I want to play a ranger with a cactus animal companion.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I've been back into Magic: The Gathering since PAX East. I don't know how I never before realised how much card art from that game is by loving Brom. (Baxa also does some, but, eh, Baxa, right?)

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Brom's M:TG art was what made me like him initially. I have two coffee table books of his art :3:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Brom also started doing art for the WoW TCG. It's like watching a cover-band.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot
Only Brom could truly capture the awesomeness that is Tirion Fordring, so it's appropriate.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

It seems like TCG art is how Brom pays his mortgage.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Anyone have ideas for silly/fun things I can do at my Encounters table to get them in the spirit of Dark Sun?

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Show up to the game in a leather bondage harness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Gomi posted:

Show up to the game in a leather bondage harness.

Wielding a cactus.

• Locked thread