Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Zero Karizma posted:

Oh it seemed pretty calm. Really it was like 2 towns that kinda didn't like each other!

They should have settled it the Clive Barker way and built giant wicker men that they fight each other with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

I'm sorry to not have gone through all 40+ pages to see this, but am I the only one who in the post-game has gone to McFarlane Ranch to see if Bonnie would marry Jack?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Bart Fargo posted:

I'm sorry to not have gone through all 40+ pages to see this, but am I the only one who in the post-game has gone to McFarlane Ranch to see if Bonnie would marry Jack?

Isn't she like 15 years older than him?

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Bart Fargo posted:

That's exactly what I did. And then I gunned everyone down.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Slantedfloors posted:

Isn't she like 15 years older than him?

Age ain't nothin' but a number out here in New Austin.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
Quick question, I'm enjoying the poker ( the 10 and 25 dollar buy ins at the ranch and armadillo ) so far but I was wondering if you could cash out at any time or do you have to bust the other players to win?

Like if I buy in for 25 bucks and get like 250 chips can I cash out at like 500 chips with 50 bucks? Cause I was trying to win some money at poker last night and it was hard to bust everyone at the table then I thought it might be cash game format and you could just cash out w/ your chips.

Also, as an amusing side note, I'm only a few hours into the game and I was out exploring north of Bonnies ranch and I saw a waterfall and a little pool at the bottom of it, "poo poo yeah!" I proclaimed as it was quite hot and dusty out here in the sun and proceeded to jump in for a dip.

"DEAD!"

That was when I knew I was playing a Rockstar game, shades of GTA3, it woulda been nice to be able to go for a swim but other then that one area I havent found many other "swimmable" areas so far so its not a huge losss. Still would have been nice to have saved prior to jumping in, I had a shitload of skins/meat/antlers/flowers.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ddraig posted:

They should have settled it the Clive Barker way and built giant wicker men that they fight each other with.

That's not the Clive Barker way. The Clive Barker way is for the townsfolk of each town to hold on to each other in such a way that their bodies form a giant man, then fight each other as giant men.

And don't forget the pointless gay sex. Christ that was a stupid short story.

/derail

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Nosaj posted:

Quick question, I'm enjoying the poker ( the 10 and 25 dollar buy ins at the ranch and armadillo ) so far but I was wondering if you could cash out at any time or do you have to bust the other players to win?
Cash out at any time. The money you make is your chip total/10.

The Year 20XX
Mar 26, 2008

Minimal typos.
Rockstar's putting out a patch to fix some issues, and also they're going to release the unused outfits from the Gamestop promotion to everyone. http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/109/1094519p1.html

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

The Year 20XX posted:

Rockstar's putting out a patch to fix some issues, and also they're going to release the unused outfits from the Gamestop promotion to everyone. http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/109/1094519p1.html
This makes me happy people voted for the lovely assassin one.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Year 20XX posted:

gently caress yes, the Master Hunter outfit will motivate me to 100% this game

Only worry is - the article says the outfits will have associated challenges, like the Assassin one. Hopefully people who already have all the bounties or whatever aren't locked out if one of the criteria is to bring in a live bounty from X gang or something similar.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

A bounty from a given gang isn't a problem since the game starts giving you nameless dudes to bring in, but it could be an issue if there's a named guy you have to bring in and you already have prior to the patch.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Ornamented Death posted:

A bounty from a given gang isn't a problem since the game starts giving you nameless dudes to bring in, but it could be an issue if there's a named guy you have to bring in and you already have prior to the patch.
Considering they're patching out that problem with the Assassin's outfit I think they'll have that fixed up.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I got off my Horse by mistake when I entered mexico and I read the warning and I still want to kick myself. It was so drat awesome.

I guess my horse doesn't have external speakers.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

AxeManiac posted:

I got off my Horse by mistake when I entered mexico and I read the warning and I still want to kick myself. It was so drat awesome.

What? It sounds like you could be talking about something interesting but I can't tell.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Slappy Moose posted:

What? It sounds like you could be talking about something interesting but I can't tell.

When you arrive in Mexico there is a nice song that plays but it stops if you get off your horse.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Slappy Moose posted:

A pretty cool song plays when you get to Mexico for the first time, but it's canceled if you get off the horse you're riding at the time, which is not your horse, so a lot of people miss the song because they jump off the one they're riding to call their own.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Ornamented Death posted:

A pretty cool song plays when you get to Mexico for the first time, but it's canceled if you get off the horse you're riding at the time, which is not your horse, so a lot of people miss the song because they jump off the one they're riding to call their own.

I wish I hadn't known about the song until I actually got there. By that time I'd listened to the song 100 times which kinda spoiled the cool factor.

Actually it was still awesome.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

AxeManiac posted:

When I did the same thing, I immediately reloaded. It was pretty worth it, even after having to kill those 800 guys all over again.

Sorry, man. :(

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

just beat it. amazing ending. SPOILERS FOR END GAME STUFF I was hoping that after I got all that revenge out of my system on Ross and his wife/brother, that the Mysterious Stranger would show up to Jack as one last stranger mission by John's grave, but when I returned back to the Marston Ranch, no one was there. It's such a loving bummer coming back to the ranch which used to have John, Abigail, Jack and his uncle wandering around, doing everyday ranch stuff to just empty property, not even hired hands tending the horses.

Also, can the Aztec Gold stranger mission be done with Jack or did I have to do it with John? Lucky for me I've been using saving alternately between two slots so I have a save right before the mission where he dies. if it's a John-only stranger mission, I can always reload my previous save. Now the only question is do I want to work towards 100% as John or Jack... I can always do it as John and drag out the very very last mission until I get 99.whatever% getting as much family time as possible. Hell I may just never do the last mission and let him live happily ever after. Take that, Rockstar.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Kashwashwa posted:

I wish I hadn't known about the song until I actually got there.

It was cool, but I agree. I really felt like it was spoiled. When I finished Mercer all I thought was:

"Okay, is this when this mythical amazing song plays?"

"How about now?"

"Now?"

"Oh, when I get on the horse..."

"This is pretty atmospheric, but one of the greatest gaming moments ever? Ehhhh, I dunno..."

I'm sure coming upon that fresh would have been completely different.

ruddiger posted:

Aztec Gold stranger mission

Yes. You can do everything in Post Endgame except for "I Know You" which doesn't count toward the total 100%.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ruddiger posted:

just beat it. amazing ending. SPOILERS FOR END GAME STUFF I was hoping that after I got all that revenge out of my system on Ross and his wife/brother, that the Mysterious Stranger would show up to Jack as one last stranger mission by John's grave, but when I returned back to the Marston Ranch, no one was there. It's such a loving bummer coming back to the ranch which used to have John, Abigail, Jack and his uncle wandering around, doing everyday ranch stuff to just empty property, not even hired hands tending the horses.

Also, can the Aztec Gold stranger mission be done with Jack or did I have to do it with John? Lucky for me I've been using saving alternately between two slots so I have a save right before the mission where he dies. if it's a John-only stranger mission, I can always reload my previous save. Now the only question is do I want to work towards 100% as John or Jack... I can always do it as John and drag out the very very last mission until I get 99.whatever% getting as much family time as possible. Hell I may just never do the last mission and let him live happily ever after. Take that, Rockstar.

All stranger missions, except mysterious stranger, which doesn't count for 100%, can be done after the last mission.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Zero Karizma posted:

Oh it seemed pretty calm. Really it was like 2 towns that kinda didn't like each other!

The federales sure went out of their way to torch Luisa's remote shack. And, I think how Jack chases Ross' rear end into Mexico is another counterpoint that it probably didn't matter where or how far they ran, they'd get caught up with by somebody.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Well, I've been listening to the game's soundtrack over and over.

I've read this thread constantly and avoided the spoilers.

I've waited patiently.

Now, I finally got my fixed Xbox 360 back in today after a year of leaving it RRoD'ed and dusty in a corner while out at school. I also grabbed the $1 for a month of Xbox Live Gold to partake in the Free Roam, if I feel the inclination.

While I bought the game close to when it came out and played it for a bit on my friend's small Standard Definition television, this game is :aaaaa: and :monocle: on a 60" 1080i HD television with 5.1 surround sound. I mean, gently caress, it's like I'm cumming in my pants with the visuals.

There's some aliasing issues with that resolution and component cables, but drat, I am excited as hell to play through the game for real this time. Also to finally take a gander at the multiplayer.

This cowboy's back in the saddle and ready to ride with the gang again. :clint:

Time to add SA Goons to my friends list!

My Xbox 360 Gamertag is: Yaegzilkof

(Don't ask. v:shobon:v)

[EDIT]: And the text is actually legible! And quite crisp, too!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 3, 2010

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is it a glitch or something that when you get your treasure hunter bag, items keep resetting to 5 after you load up a game? I had 10 medicine on me when I saved but when I loaded up the game earlier, I was back at 5.

Also, do buffalo respawn at all? Manifest Destiny requires me to kill 20 of them, but I'd hate to kill them all off and not have any more buffalo hides to sell down in Mexico.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Also, do buffalo respawn at all? Manifest Destiny requires me to kill 20 of them, but I'd hate to kill them all off and not have any more buffalo hides to sell down in Mexico.
Gone forever.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Jimbot posted:

Also, do buffalo respawn at all?

There's something you're not getting here.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Cat Machine posted:

gently caress yes, the Master Hunter outfit will motivate me to 100% this game

Hunting in Tall Trees just became even more of a giant moneymaker. That's a good enough apology for me. Just wish I had something to spend it on.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

There's something you're not getting here.
Aw, that actually makes me feel bad. :(

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Howard Beale posted:

Hunting in Tall Trees just became even more of a giant moneymaker. That's a good enough apology for me. Just wish I had something to spend it on.

Seriously. I would think a ranch, but you already have that. Maybe a train? :v:

Hell, I've got money coming out of my ears at this point. I don't even care about skinning animals anymore, dont need to sell the skins for anything since I know I'll never run out. Game needs a moneysink.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

Don't feel too bad, while the buffalo remains "near threatened", it has recovered pretty remarkably from a low point when I believe (IIRC) there were only a few hundred left in the wild.

\/\/ - Yeah, we were (are) shitheads.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 3, 2010

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Gazaville Slugger posted:

Don't feel too bad, while the buffalo remains "near threatened", it has recovered pretty remarkably from a low point when I believe (IIRC) there were only a few hundred left in the wild.
Haha, yes, I know that. I meant, the fact that they put that IN THE GAME just reminded me of how we really almost killed all of them.

Can't wait to play a game that has us hunting to extinction the mammoth and the the sabertooth tiger, all the way to the monk seal and the Baiji River dolphin. Then topping it off by covering half the ocean with crude oil.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 3, 2010

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Crows Turn Off posted:

Haha, yes, I know that. I meant, the fact that they put that IN THE GAME just reminded me of how we really almost killed all of them.

That's a really good point. This might actually be the best cultural commentary in the game. That one Indian dude even gives you the "You realize you're just senselessly killing these Buffalo for fun, right? You're going to ruin everything." speech on the way to a mission.

Then, here we all are, blowing the fuckers away for an Achievement.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Gazaville Slugger posted:

Did someone report this bug to rockstar

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Earwicker posted:

Did someone report this bug to rockstar

It's kind of funny, if you look up the wiki entry, the guy who supposedly saved the buffalo from extinction died in 1911. Welp, time to undo his work.

I suppose you can kill them all of them load from a previous save after you get the trophy/achievement.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

okay anyone else having this problem?

I'm doing "an appointed time," and I get to the end. Bill and I yell back and forth at each other for a while, I shoot bill in the head, Reyes shoots Allende, and everyone stands around. whatever is supposed to happen next doesn't trigger. If I press start it gives me the continue message as if I was in a cutscene, but the cutscene doesn't trigger.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Retromancer posted:

I'm doing "an appointed time," and I get to the end. Bill and I yell back and forth at each other for a while, I shoot bill in the head, Reyes shoots Allende, and everyone stands around. whatever is supposed to happen next doesn't trigger. If I press start it gives me the continue message as if I was in a cutscene, but the cutscene doesn't trigger.

Reset the console, try again and pray. I got locked up there twice before it finally let me advance. That mission is super bugged, at least 75% of the glitches and bugs I found in the game happened in that one.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Retromancer posted:

This happened to me too, I just waited for a few minutes and the next cutscene eventually triggered.

HatSmack
Jan 28, 2009
Every time I play that scene I have to leave it for a few minutes, and then it continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

On my first play through I didn't know about the achievement, I was just hunting them for fun. Then I noticed I got an achievement and I'm all "kick rear end, what's this for? Oh my..."

I did feel a little bad about it.

• Locked thread