Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Took me a while, but I can finally hear non-friends communicate over XBL. My first game showed me everything that is wrong about it. Racism, homophobia, horrible mics, getting called a camper, pussy, and glitcher over legit kills. But there were some pluses:

After getting repeatedly dominated by one player over 3 shootout rounds, I managed to get a 14 kill streak right off the bat using dynamite in Armadillo (including the guy who kept killing me) and then the LeMat. Later on got a 7 kill streak and ended the match 25/5 K/D and MVP. Our team completely stomped them something like 3500 to 1600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Wow was expecting a glitch or something when someone mentioned earlier about knifing someone you have hogtied, wasnt expecting that.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
Somehow, I got the "kill all animals" thing without actually killing everything... I shot a goat in mexico and found a duck and *plinky noise* got it.

Weird.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Haha I said what knifing a hog-tied player did a few pages ago but I'm glad people missed it because the more recent post doesn't say what it does and let's you experience the surprise yourself. GO DO IT.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Finally got my legend of the west outfit, after an intense disarming battle with the cops in Blackwater. I'm quite pleased with myself.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Has anyone happened on the 2 guys with the TNT in Elizabeth?

Also, did someone find the drunk code or what?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Optiquest posted:

Wow was expecting a glitch or something when someone mentioned earlier about knifing someone you have hogtied, wasnt expecting that.

It's weird, on my system it's not even a smooth animation, it sort of jerks during the actual cutting and does that weird sort of ripple effect on screen.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

northerain posted:

Also, did someone find the drunk code or what?

I'm keeping an updated list of codes on page 3.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

northerain posted:

The one where they want you to drive their wagon? Yeah, it's kind of weird though since they're not really that far from town and bandits attack you for some reason.

The downside to the random encounter thing is that you can spend a lot of time with the game and not see some events/only get them once. I'm pretty far into the game (post "Truth") and have only encountered a stagecoach robbery once and even then it was pretty far into the game before it happened.

KungfooMF
Feb 21, 2002

[ENDGAME]It sure was satisfying putting a bullet in Ross using the gun he gave my father.

Unlocking the US Marshal's outfit was much easier than I expected. I think I finished it inside of 10 game hours and that included a death at Tumbleweed and respawn at Rathskellar.

bobzmuda
Jul 24, 2001

Finally finished it.

That was outstanding. When ENDGAME SPOILERS John got gunned down it hit me in the gut. I can't remember the last time, if ever, I've had a physical reaction to a game (other than screaming like a girl at the first Resident Evil). The sense of dread in the last few missions was really palpable..

My biggest complaint about the game is that I really wish they had done away with the "ride and listen to exposition" parts of the game as the cinematic camera whips wildly around so you can't focus on anything. Hell, why don't they show us what happened in the past in a cut-scene as John is riding - that would have more impact.

Or even better, have you be able to interact in the cut-scene as kind of a mini-game within a game, as sort of John telling the story. Let the player play as John working with Williamson at one of those bank robberies, killing, and SEEING Williamson turn from wannabe Robin Hood to insane.

Sure, you couldn't really change the outcomes in those exposition mini-games, but they would help with immersion a good bit - especially for guys like Williamson and Dutch. You hear about what bad guys they are, but you never really see it, so it doesn't hit home quite as much, especially with Williamson who just sort of appears once and then he's gone.

bobzmuda fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 4, 2010

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

bobzmuda posted:

Sure, you couldn't really change the outcomes in those exposition mini-games, but they would help with immersion a good bit - especially for guys like Williamson and Dutch. You hear about what bad guys they are, but you never really see it, so it doesn't hit home quite as much, especially with Williamson who just sort of appears once and then he's gone.

I'd say Dutch may be questionable, but there's really no doubt that Williamson is a bad guy.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Philip J Fry posted:

I'm keeping an updated list of codes on page 3.

Nice. I'm gonna put this in the OP when I scrap together some more content for my second post.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Ornamented Death posted:

I'd say Dutch may be questionable, but there's really no doubt that Williamson is a bad guy.

I knoew the game certainly wants us to feel like his motives might be noble, but then Dutch blew that innocent girl's brains all over you during his escape. That kinda solidified the whole bad guy thing for me.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Ornamented Death posted:

The government are after him, pretty sure you've got to have killed quite a few good, innocent people to get them on your back.

bobzmuda
Jul 24, 2001

I don't care if he's good or bad, I just wanted to be more emotionally invested in him than just a few missions at the end of the game.

This goes double for Williamson, who we hear lots of talk about and then only shows up for 1 mission IIRC

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I know this has been asked before, but what's the most consistent way to win a bar fight? Only one time have I been able to get the prompt to tackle someone, which seems to be the only way to knock someone out. I've never been able to trigger it again, and it seems impossible to keep someone down without doing it, so those people who got the trophy/achievement, how did you do it?

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Punch them 3 times without missing.

Lilac
Dec 8, 2005

by Fistgrrl

bobzmuda posted:

Finally finished it.

That was outstanding. When ENDGAME SPOILERS John got gunned down it hit me in the gut. I can't remember the last time, if ever, I've had a physical reaction to a game (other than screaming like a girl at the first Resident Evil). The sense of dread in the last few missions was really palpable..

Listen to the music in the house before the mission where john gets gunned

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Quick question: which outfit is the one that Marsden wears in some of the promo art, with the waistcoat, tie, rolled sleeves and no hat? It's the one where he has the sawn-off and is holding a wanted poster.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Okay this is making me mad. I'm at 99.9% completion, the only thing I am missing is one map area in West Elizabeth. The store in Blackwater will not sell me the Great Plains map. I already bought the tall trees map. What the hell?

Does anyone have a map that has all the locations listed on it, Ill just run there myself if I have any idea where it is. I've been all over the drat place doing missions and poo poo I don't know how I missed a map area.

King-O-Pork
Nov 28, 2001
Spread her ass cheeks and have an honest look. Just you and the asshole. Describe the colors to yourself, describe the textures in your mind. See that fucking tiny joint-looking roll of toilet paper on her asshole? Remember it.

FishBulb posted:

Okay this is making me mad. I'm at 99.9% completion, the only thing I am missing is one map area in West Elizabeth. The store in Blackwater will not sell me the Great Plains map. I already bought the tall trees map. What the hell?

Does anyone have a map that has all the locations listed on it, Ill just run there myself if I have any idea where it is. I've been all over the drat place doing missions and poo poo I don't know how I missed a map area.

Go sign in on the rockstar social club website. It shows you the areas you're missing. It gets bugged sometimes, but it helped me get them all.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've barely broken the law in my game, but on reaching Blackwater my horse stepped on a cat and all the cops went nuts over a $5 bounty, I almost died from getting shot and they sent me to MacFarlane's jail for some reason. They went to the expense of sending me there over a loving cat.
The price of being civilized. :colbert:

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've barely broken the law in my game, but on reaching Blackwater my horse stepped on a cat and all the cops went nuts over a $5 bounty, I almost died from getting shot and they sent me to MacFarlane's jail for some reason.
You break the law, you get deported, that's how it's done, ese.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

FishBulb posted:

The one place that was hard for me to realize that I missed was that bridge between the land west of Thieves' Landing and south of that camp in W.E.. It's a little rail bridge that is it's own location, and after having bought every map, it never showed up. You had to physically cross it.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Earwicker posted:

the other day I was riding around in chollo springs just casually hunting, a random npc comes up to me out of nowhere and challenges me..... to an herb picking contest. no thanks bro I'm good

That reminds me, has anyone tried the random NPC that offers a hunting challenge to skin whatever animal he is after before he can? I haven't even tried it yet but I can imagine that ending up in a bloodbath for everyone involved including my loving horse. If a wolf even looks at my horse now I go on a killing spree.

*twitch*

VVV Something tells me I will know exactly what is going to happen if I come across that TNT camp... VVV

:laugh:

Holy Cheese fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 4, 2010

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Holy Cheese posted:

That reminds me, has anyone tried the random NPC that offers a hunting challenge to skin whatever animal he is after before he can? I haven't even tried it yet but I can imagine that ending up in a bloodbath for everyone involved including my loving horse. If a wolf even looks at my horse now I go on a killing spree.

*twitch*

The couple of times I accepted, he actually just said "Get me xxxx", rather than challenging who before what. The one time I was challenged by time, it was to shoot some birds out of the sky, which were already in the air and I took out in one dead-eye. They're not really that bad. For the ones with "bring me some ____ skins", you aren't even timed. Its just an excuse for you to hunt and get immediately payed.

The NPCs I wonder about are the TNT camp I saw a little south west of Blackwater.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Ok so I was bored one weekend and havn't bought a new game in awhile so I thought with the awesome reviews, reading this thread and taken some advice from my friend I'd go and buy RDR. I've played it for 3 or 4 hours total now and so far it seems like I'm just doing chores and doing a bunch of times wasters. I heard some cattle, ride from town to town on a horse played poker and tamed some wild horses. To me it seems like this game is just full of a bunch of time wasting mechanics such as riding from town to town or balancing my character to tame a horse or kill a bunch of aniamals or pick some wild flowers??? I don't have too much experiance playing games like this so maybe I'm playing it wrong? It just seems like I have to try to have fun instead of it just being fun. I did just do a mission where I had to kill a bunch of people but even then I had to ride a horse for awhile to get there... Any advice or maybe this type of game just isn't for me?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

smarion2 posted:

Ok so I was bored one weekend and havn't bought a new game in awhile so I thought with the awesome reviews, reading this thread and taken some advice from my friend I'd go and buy RDR. I've played it for 3 or 4 hours total now and so far it seems like I'm just doing chores and doing a bunch of times wasters. I heard some cattle, ride from town to town on a horse played poker and tamed some wild horses. To me it seems like this game is just full of a bunch of time wasting mechanics such as riding from town to town or balancing my character to tame a horse or kill a bunch of aniamals or pick some wild flowers??? I don't have too much experiance playing games like this so maybe I'm playing it wrong? It just seems like I have to try to have fun instead of it just being fun. I did just do a mission where I had to kill a bunch of people but even then I had to ride a horse for awhile to get there... Any advice or maybe this type of game just isn't for me?

If you got this game expecting it to be an FPS where you're going to be shooting guys 24/7, it's not for you.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

smarion2 posted:

Get on top of a building, start shooting lawmen. If you still aren't entertained then the game may not be for you.

Also, try enjoying the game instead of winning or beat it. (Not meant as an insult, just saying don't play it as trying to reach the end, try enjoying the atmosphere, NPCs, and setting.)

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 4, 2010

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Yeah I do mostly play FPSs but I do enjoy other types of games as well. I love the graphics and the theme of the game but I guess I was just expecting more action. Usually I play a game before I buy it so it's totally my fault. I'm still going to give it another chance before deciding what to do with it. Regretfully I bought it from gamestop full price so returning does not seem to be a viable option. If I wanted to offer a goon a trade would I do that in SA mart?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah, SA Mart would take care of you pretty well. Give it another try, and remember that you're in a sandbox game not a rail shooter. The idea is that you immerse yourself in the environment instead of just shooting between cut-scenes. Every ride can be its own adventure, which means a long ride between towns shouldn't be seen as a time sink but rather just another opportunity for game play.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

smarion2 posted:

Yeah I do mostly play FPSs but I do enjoy other types of games as well. I love the graphics and the theme of the game but I guess I was just expecting more action. Usually I play a game before I buy it so it's totally my fault. I'm still going to give it another chance before deciding what to do with it. Regretfully I bought it from gamestop full price so returning does not seem to be a viable option. If I wanted to offer a goon a trade would I do that in SA mart?

There is a crap load of horse riding in between missions unless you are willing to fast travel using camps, I don't like using it personally because I am spectacularly good at finding trouble just wandering about at a steady trot. The missions do get better, also more weapons to choose from. Although admittedly the Winchester is still my go to gun in a big shootout. I actually think the hunting is the most fun, especially when I get caught out by a cougar or pack of wolves, although the wolves are pretty easy to thin out on horseback.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Sco Dylan posted:

I wonder why they don't have the outfit Marston is wearing on the cover and in some of the new artwork (http://www.reddead.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/marstonart.jpg).

It looks pretty bad rear end.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Quick question: which outfit is the one that Marsden wears in some of the promo art, with the waistcoat, tie, rolled sleeves and no hat? It's the one where he has the sawn-off and is holding a wanted poster.

This has been bugging the hell out of me as well. Especially since he's wearing it in-game at the end of this trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NUjbORZueU

Or maybe that's just the cowboy outfit without the hat...I can't really tell, but I still don't remember that last bit happening.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I'm not quick to giving it up quite yet and am usually able to find something I like about a game. For instance, the treasure hunter part is a pretty cool aspect. I really wish other video game developers would stop holding people hands so much... It's really satisfying when you finally figure out something thats hard.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
So the "connection issue" thing that keeps me from playing in any multiplayer game that has more than like 3 people in it? Not my internet connection. A friend of mine came over and was playing online perfectly fine on his Xbox while I was still getting the infamous connection issue bug. It's aggravating that they haven't released an update for it yet, I know I'm not the only one this has happened to; it's even more annoying that everytime I fail to join a game the game hangs on a loading screen and I have to log out to dashboard.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

smarion2 posted:

Thanks for the replies. I'm not quick to giving it up quite yet and am usually able to find something I like about a game. For instance, the treasure hunter part is a pretty cool aspect. I really wish other video game developers would stop holding people hands so much... It's really satisfying when you finally figure out something thats hard.

This game is a western, which are often about big landscapes, a sense of isolation, and exploration. Just take your time with it, don't expect something mindless like Call of Duty deathmatch with constant flashes and pops.

Some of the gunfights are epic though, just wait until you first get to raid Tumbleweed.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
I snagged it and was pretty unimpressed with it after this first 30 minutes.

Until I started blasting a dude who I believe was taking a poo poo behind a rock. How soon until I can start hog tying people up and let them get run over by the train?

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

Yeah I had the same thing happen: They all go "You've got experience setting stuff up like this right? Of course you do, now do it!" So I just kinda guessed where to set the explosives. I was waiting for the people in the back to go over the first one, and then I could go BOOM BOOM BOOM and maybe get all of them. Of course Luisa flipped out, told me I blew it, and everyone fired. Thanks a lot. Apparently you need to start blowing up once the first people go over the first one and the way I had it set up made the rest of the explosives useless if I did that.

Heh, the thing that made me chuckle was that I've actually been trained in preparing an explosive-based ambush, and she said I hosed it up too :v: So I dumbed it down the second time and just placed them in a line on the center of the road, and realized that she's intending the wagons to be destroyed by the explosives as a priority, and doesn't really care about you waxing the entire convoy in one go. So if that doesn't happen perfectly, then she'll bitch about it. I guess I/We were over thinking it :haw:

liquidypoo posted:

You guys should try the multiplayer dead eye with throwing knives :laugh:

I think it was you that showed me this yesterday and I kept doing it to that pubbie fag SH4DOW_TR4C3UR (shafordow!) while he was trying to snipe me with the Rolling Block @ like 400m LOL. It really is OP since you can mark and shoot that fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Nthman posted:

Until I started blasting a dude who I believe was taking a poo poo behind a rock. How soon until I can start hog tying people up and let them get run over by the train?

Do Bonnie's fourth mission.

• Locked thread