Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Well he said it definitely does run, so that's good enough if jets is all it needs.

http://www.bikebandit.com/slinger-airflow-werks-jet-kit

Are these a good choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Stoic Commie posted:

Well he said it definitely does run, so that's good enough if jets is all it needs.

http://www.bikebandit.com/slinger-airflow-werks-jet-kit

Are these a good choice?

The point of starting it cold in front of you is because some people try to pull poo poo like working all day getting the thing running and warmed up right before you get there, so you don't know that it's a bitch and a half to start. Starting cold is often when engines have trouble, so if it does that, then you can assume you're at least half-way there.

When you get there, feel the exhaust headers and see if they're warm. If they are, then he's had it running recently and you should wait a while until they cool down before trying to start it again. If he balks at this, then something shady is happening.

Also, you can tell if the bike is running on both cylinders by licking your fingers and tapping the pipes right where they come out of the engine. Once a bike is warmed up, the pipes should be too hot to touch for more than a fraction of a second. If they aren't then that cylinder isn't firing properly (or at all).

Why do I always feel like I'm making GBS threads on your parade? :smith:

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Because you are :v: Someone has to do it or I will make a bad decision.

I'm really having a hard time figuring out what model it is, all the info for the models of KZ400s is all scrambled and some places have info for some designations that other places do not. I'm afraid I am going to gently caress up the rejetting by getting the wrong jets or something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd see the bike first. If it's worthwhile, then you can go from there.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
I bought it. I told him not to start it until I got there, it sat all day and was totally cold when I got there, started up immediately with some choke/high idle.

Rather than rejet the carbs, he suggested I just find a stock airbox and put that on in lieu of the air filters on now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That is a good idea. Congrats on the purchase!

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Thanks! Now over to wade through the gear thread :zombie:

Side note, the handlebars are backwards clubmans and I love them :haw:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Stoic Commie posted:

Thanks! Now over to wade through the gear thread :zombie:

Side note, the handlebars are backwards clubmans and I love them :haw:

I bought a set of clubmans and they wouldn't fit over my trees so I mounted them upside down. They look pretty good. As I also discovered when I did find some clubmans that fit over the trees, they don't make my throttle sticky as hell due to bends in the cables and don't kill my back.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Anyone ever bought bikes via the Japanese auctions?

There's some cool stuff available (Godier-Genoud Zed? (!!!) - or perhaps Sir would prefer an F1 track bike on open FCRs? Or a slightly neglected DB3 (not a car...)), just not sure what the total costs actually end up being after you've ransomed the vehicle from the auction house/authorities and dealt with shipping and customs.

For cars it only ends up making sense if you want some lairy JDM exotica (which explains the stock at the average British grey importer), but potentially it seems like there are good deals to be had on bikes.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Link(s)?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Link(s)?

The site I was looking at requires a login - have a look at

http://www.mashamoto.co.uk/

Sure there are better/other sites, this is just one that was suggested to me. Some of the interesting stuff, including IIRC that G-G and the F1, are in the "Other" category. Didn't see any RCs or OW01s kicking around. There are two YZF-SPs, but early models only with the poo poo forks. Oh, but there are innumerable NSR250SEs and RGVs. Drool.

Arguably the auction fee rape can be rationalised if you get huge amounts of JDM-only unobtanium bling free with the bike.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180513422717&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I've always wanted a green CL350. This is the only year they were made. Oh god it's so pretty.

Buy it on ebay, fly out, ride it 2,100 miles home to Fresno, CA. Or ride it 500 miles to visit friends in Wisconsin, hang for a few days, then ride 2,100 miles home.

I kinda wanna do it just for the experience (and having the prettiest bike ever)

Bad idea or the worst idea?

Edit: Wisconsin to my friends in Phoenix, AZ is only 1,800 miles. Oh god I am already trying to break it up into manageable legs fuuuck.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 30, 2010

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Good Idea. Bring a took kit, and some ibuprofen.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
As much as I fully support the idea of an amazing fly-n-ride all through the mountians and things, shipping the bike would probably be WAY cheaper, when you figure gas/airfare/ancillary costs. Probably $500-$600 to ship it.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Rontalvos posted:

Edit: Wisconsin to my friends in Phoenix, AZ is only 1,800 miles. Oh god I am already trying to break it up into manageable legs fuuuck.
We've got a bed (and garage) for you in Denver, if you don't mind purple butterflies on the walls*.
Denver-Phoenix in 2 legs, with an overnight in Four Corners, anyone?

*Offer of purple butterflies good on alternating Saturdays, and Sun-Tues, otherwise you get the couch. Also, we have cats and 104 pounds of dog.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 1, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Rontalvos posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180513422717&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I've always wanted a green CL350. This is the only year they were made. Oh god it's so pretty.

Buy it on ebay, fly out, ride it 2,100 miles home to Fresno, CA. Or ride it 500 miles to visit friends in Wisconsin, hang for a few days, then ride 2,100 miles home.

I kinda wanna do it just for the experience (and having the prettiest bike ever)

Bad idea or the worst idea?

Go for it. I've wanted to do something like that for a long time.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What do you guys think of this bike:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1768385835.html

I'm a brand new rider (taken MSF, very little additional experience) and I'll likely be using it for commuting in the city and on freeways.

Assuming its on the up and up, and ignoring the wacky paintjob it appears to be a decent deal to me.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

What do you guys think of this bike:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1768385835.html

I'm a brand new rider (taken MSF, very little additional experience) and I'll likely be using it for commuting in the city and on freeways.

Assuming its on the up and up, and ignoring the wacky paintjob it appears to be a decent deal to me.

Looks cool and a 500 is a good starter bike, I will say this though, make sure it actually runs well when you buy it and don't set your heart on it - be willing to walk away if something seems wrong. You're a new rider and having to work on your bike an hour for every few hours you spend riding it loving sucks if it's your only bike.

e: Also 1800 seems like way too much, my friend bought a pristine 2004 ninja 250 with like 4000 miles on it for 1700. I'd try to barter him down quite a bit since it's been so molested and is pretty old. TBH I wouldn't pay more than 800 for it assuming it runs well but I already have a hosed up rat bike project from 1989 so I'm a bit jaded.

IAMKOREA fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 2, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd say closer to a grand is a more reasonable price for a hacked apart 500. Still, it's a decent choice if you can get it for a good price.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

I'd say closer to a grand is a more reasonable price for a hacked apart 500. Still, it's a decent choice if you can get it for a good price.

but it has lightning bolts on it! :smugdog:

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
That all seems like good advice. I wasn't planning on buying it unless it really is in the condition he says its in.

I might not have time to go see it at all this week or weekend, and I wont be torn up if it passes me by. I'm not really sold on the paint job or the style, so if I do go to see it (and it checks out) I'll probably make a lowish offer and move on if he doesn't go for it.

Thanks for the advice.

For more up close and personal lightning bolt action here's a picture he sent me directly. Thumbnailed so you can appreciate it full sized.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

That all seems like good advice. I wasn't planning on buying it unless it really is in the condition he says its in.

I might not have time to go see it at all this week or weekend, and I wont be torn up if it passes me by. I'm not really sold on the paint job or the style, so if I do go to see it (and it checks out) I'll probably make a lowish offer and move on if he doesn't go for it.

Thanks for the advice.

For more up close and personal lightning bolt action here's a picture he sent me directly. Thumbnailed so you can appreciate it full sized.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

No more than ~1200, preferably a grand. I know me some busted-up 500s :doh:

edit: Also, that paintjob is hilarious, and you should get some custom leathers to match.

r!de the short bus
Nov 22, 2007
"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons." Dostoevsky
found this little gem gunna go take a look at it soon

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/1767549687.html

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
that paintjob actually rules

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

AncientTV posted:

No more than ~1200, preferably a grand. I know me some busted-up 500s :doh:

edit: Also, that paintjob is hilarious, and you should get some custom leathers to match.

Do you have anything specific that I should be looking for? I realize that this bike is nearly as old as I am and has been modded all to hell, so I know its nowhere near perfect.

I'm looking for really specific problems to watch out for. I've got a fair amount of mechanical experience so feel free to lay it on me.

Thanks for all the advice.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/1774454322.html

Good to gently caress around with as a project? Anybody know how to go about getting a title in California with just a bill of sale? is it a huge clusterfuck?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Rontalvos posted:

Good to gently caress around with as a project? Anybody know how to go about getting a title in California with just a bill of sale? is it a huge clusterfuck?

I don't have any direct CA experience - I'm sure someone will chime in. Here's what you need: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr32.htm

Personally, I think if the PO doesn't have a title, then he's either incredibly lazy or there's a problem getting one which he is trying to pawn off on a sucker. After going through a sale where I came this close | | to not being able to get my bike registered because of a hosed up title, I'd say to tell him that you'll buy it if he gets a replacement title, but that's me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Do you have anything specific that I should be looking for? I realize that this bike is nearly as old as I am and has been modded all to hell, so I know its nowhere near perfect.

I'm looking for really specific problems to watch out for. I've got a fair amount of mechanical experience so feel free to lay it on me.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

That's WAY exhaustive, but you can get a good idea of what to look at from there. The things I usually check are tires (especially age!), sprocket, chain, oil freshness, and just the general overall condition of the bike. Most people can't be bothered to detail a bike before they sell it so that can tell you a lot about it.

Rontalvos posted:

It's 50/50...can be relatively easy, can be totally difficult. That bike's probably dropped out of the system, so a bill of sale, a statement of facts, and you should be able to get it sorted out...if it's not stolen. Which is a whole 'nother clusterfuck. I'd probably see if the seller would go to the DMV with me to sort it out.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

There isn't much to look for that is 500-specific. The only major problem that's common in the older ones is a habit of barfing the flywheel magnets all over the place, but if it starts, that's obviously not a problem. You may want to ask him if he's already done the 2nd gen flywheel replacement (the magnets are actually covered, instead of just glued in), and if not, do it yourself at some point.

Something that isn't nearly as common as the flywheel is that the cam chain tensioners have been known to spectacularly fail, but again, just make sure it starts, and consider replacing it (the updated 2nd gen is a direct fit) sometime in the future.

Other than that, it's pretty standard fare. Good luck :)

edit: "standard" as in everything in the the link that z3n posted

edit2:

Craigslist posted:

...full exhaust, pod filters, jet kit...
You're going to want to get rid of these. Short of ridiculous hand-grenade type engine work, there's never been any way to improve the 500's power. Go back to stock jetting, get a stock airbox, and pick up a stock exhaust system if you can find one. Even crazy racers on the ex500 board, who mod this poo poo out of this bike, leave it with stock intake and exhaust.

Speaking of which, this will be an incredibly useful site, if you buy the bike https://www.ex-500.com

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 4, 2010

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I know they get a lot of poo poo on here, but has anybody actually owned a Buell Blast? I kind of like them and there's a shop near me that has half a dozen of them in stock at a pretty good price. I'm taking my MSF next week, but I'm going to be traveling half the time and have a couple projects sucking up my free time, so I'm worried that if I try to hunt the perfect bike at the perfect price, it'll be winter by the time I find it. I'm thinking I might just head to that shop when I finish my MSF, take one for a test ride, and if I don't hate it just buy it, so I can stop hanging out on CraigsList and just get some riding in.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
PlasticSun made a telling comment the other night when I was talking about my trip back from Texas on the KLR, and how 5000 RPM (71MPHish) was SOOO much nicer than 4500 at 65 MPH.

"Every single has a sweet spot where the vibration isn't bad. Except the Buell Blast."

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Isn't that kind of by design, though? I know a lot of people like a nice sleek and quiet little machine, but there is something to be said for knowing drat well there's an internal combustion engine between your legs. Like I said, I haven't ridden one yet and wouldn't buy it until I have, but saying "it vibrates a lot" sounds more like a personal preference than an actual comment about the quality of the bike. Unfortunately, it's the only thing I've actually heard anyone say about it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

Isn't that kind of by design, though? I know a lot of people like a nice sleek and quiet little machine, but there is something to be said for knowing drat well there's an internal combustion engine between your legs. Like I said, I haven't ridden one yet and wouldn't buy it until I have, but saying "it vibrates a lot" sounds more like a personal preference than an actual comment about the quality of the bike. Unfortunately, it's the only thing I've actually heard anyone say about it.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Buell_Blast_vs_Ninja_250

The main problem with them when they were still being made is they were a grand more expensive than a ninja 250. I wouldn't buy one especially now that buell is gone, but if you can pick up 2 for the price of a single other bike, I'd say it'd be worth it for a beater.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Well the shop that has them has a bunch of 2005s with about 2k miles for $2400. That's pretty much on par with Ninja 250 prices. It's really more an issue of convenience for me, and aesthetics honestly. I finish my MSF next Sunday, then have a family event that evening, then work all week, then go on a trip that next weekend. If I didn't find something awesome on CL during that week, when I get back from the trip I'll only have another week and a half before I head to Europe for two weeks, and will definitely want to get some riding in. I'd rather just grab something random that I think looks good to beat around while I'm learning and just have fun on, then watch CL for deals on a better bike this winter when I've got more time on my hands. Come to think of it, I guess the biggest risk with the Blast would be trying to get rid of it later.

That comparison article is super helpful too, and it reaffirms that the Blast seems to fit my personality better than the Ninja 250. I didn't see it in the article, but it's a taller bike as well, right? I'm worried about my 6'1" being cramped on something super tiny like a Ninja 250.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I rode a buell blast for my safety course and I blame it in part for me failing the test at the end. It idled really, really low and I stalled it out so many times, including on the test. I thought that getting familiar with a rougher clutch/transmission would be advantageous (instructor said "always challenge yourself!") but now I'm just bitter towards that bike..

That being said I'm obviously a noob rider and the bike is probably fun to fart around on

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

Well the shop that has them has a bunch of 2005s with about 2k miles for $2400. That's pretty much on par with Ninja 250 prices. It's really more an issue of convenience for me, and aesthetics honestly. I finish my MSF next Sunday, then have a family event that evening, then work all week, then go on a trip that next weekend. If I didn't find something awesome on CL during that week, when I get back from the trip I'll only have another week and a half before I head to Europe for two weeks, and will definitely want to get some riding in. I'd rather just grab something random that I think looks good to beat around while I'm learning and just have fun on, then watch CL for deals on a better bike this winter when I've got more time on my hands. Come to think of it, I guess the biggest risk with the Blast would be trying to get rid of it later.

That comparison article is super helpful too, and it reaffirms that the Blast seems to fit my personality better than the Ninja 250. I didn't see it in the article, but it's a taller bike as well, right? I'm worried about my 6'1" being cramped on something super tiny like a Ninja 250.

I personally wouldn't pay more than 1500$ for one. A bunch of 2005s at a harley dealership with 2k miles on them just screams riders edge bikes, which is the harley equivalent to the MSF. If I'm right, they'll have lead a very hard life. I'm pretty sure you're going to have difficulty selling it for more than 1000$ anyways, as they were never desirable bikes in the best of times, and now that buell is gone people are going to absolutely not want poo poo all to do with them. The only way I'd say it's ok to buy one is if you're comfortable lighting all of the money you're spending on it on fire, because I completely expect that that is what is going to happen when you try and sell it.

There are seriously hundreds of better bikes to buy.

And ninja 250s can be found for much cheaper than 2500$. They might be a little older, but for a first bike, that's really not a concern, it'll probably fall over at some point anyways, so if someone has already taken the hit from dropping it, all the better.

I'm pretty sure the buell has a lower seat height but also lower pegs than the 250. Less cornering clearance, potentially more comfortable, although comfort is a completely subjective thing...I'm 5'11 and was totally comfortable on my 250. Bigger displacement also doesn't always mean larger in terms of ergos, either.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 4, 2010

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Ah ok, I'd been seeing Blasts of similar age and mileage go up on Craigslist for about the same price or even higher, but I supposed that doesn't mean anybody's actually been buying them. That's a really good point about them being Rider's Edge bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

Ah ok, I'd been seeing Blasts of similar age and mileage go up on Craigslist for about the same price or even higher, but I supposed that doesn't mean anybody's actually been buying them. That's a really good point about them being Rider's Edge bikes.

Your area may have really inflated prices, but if prices are inflated, you're still way better off going with a bike that's got a better rep, just because chances are you're going to sell it at some point in the future.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I live in Baltimore, so I think prices are pretty normal, although probably a bit inflated at the moment because of the weather. There do seem to be very few smaller bikes going up though, compared to the number of HDs and the like. One of the most common bikes I see come up at great prices is the SV650, which I'd say was the perfect bike if it weren't for the fact that they make me a bit nervous as a good friend wrecked one last year and ended up unable to walk for a couple months. I'm also a fairly conservative driver, so I'm not sure that much power would be anything but a liability to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd just wait for a bit...the right bike will come up. Just be ready to jump on the deals when they show up.