Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Nthman posted:

Until I started blasting a dude who I believe was taking a poo poo behind a rock. How soon until I can start hog tying people up and let them get run over by the train?
The title of the thread should really just be Red Dead Redemption: Do Bonnie's Missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I was playing poker last night and I got a full house, twos over aces, so I went all in and the other guy had a full house, aces over twos. There was an ace and two twos on the table, meaning the fucker got dealt two aces. He got a bullet between the eyes for that poo poo.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

The title of the thread should really just be Red Dead Redemption: Do Bonnie's Missions. Get them out of the way as soon as possible.

Works for me.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Carbohydrates posted:

I was playing poker last night and I got a full house, twos over aces, so I went all in and the other guy had a full house, aces over twos. There was an ace and two twos on the table, meaning the fucker got dealt two aces. He got a bullet between the eyes for that poo poo.

haha, that reminds me of my favorite televised poker hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OYwPGMaqMc

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

smarion2 posted:

Ok so I was bored one weekend and havn't bought a new game in awhile so I thought with the awesome reviews, reading this thread and taken some advice from my friend I'd go and buy RDR. I've played it for 3 or 4 hours total now and so far it seems like I'm just doing chores and doing a bunch of times wasters. I heard some cattle, ride from town to town on a horse played poker and tamed some wild horses. To me it seems like this game is just full of a bunch of time wasting mechanics such as riding from town to town or balancing my character to tame a horse or kill a bunch of aniamals or pick some wild flowers??? I don't have too much experiance playing games like this so maybe I'm playing it wrong? It just seems like I have to try to have fun instead of it just being fun. I did just do a mission where I had to kill a bunch of people but even then I had to ride a horse for awhile to get there... Any advice or maybe this type of game just isn't for me?

It's Grand Theft Auto in the Wild West. You're not playing wrong, it just offers a very particular experience.

And since you're new, the best way to have fun in Sandbox games is to be creatively murderous.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
every time I do multiplayer I get the connection bug, and single player won't load half the time, knocking me back to dashboard. I just want to play the game :(

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

I got 2 aces once and prepared myself to wipe the table clean. I push $20 in pre-flop (mind you this is at the big game in Blackwater, so $20 is chump change) and everyone at the table loving folds.

gently caress you poker players.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Crows Turn Off posted:

The title of the thread should really just be Red Dead Redemption: Do Bonnie's Missions.

It's weird, since I'm pretty sure that they force you to do the Bonnie mission where you have to hogtie the horses. Maybe not "force", but there was a stretch of time where nothing was going on and there were no other NPC mission starts active on the map, so I went ahead and did that mission and got the lasso. Plus the lasso becomes an integral part of a few missions... I'm sure you have no choice but to get it eventually.

Oh, and this game... I was reluctant to buy it because I hate paying $60 for a game, since I think that's pretty excessive. This game was worth every dollar, and I'm glad I went ahead and got it instead of waiting several months until it dropped $10 (A-list games like this seem to stay high-priced for a while). The only minor complaints I have so far is how easily honor goes up, and some of the annoying/bad voice acting. There was also one moment where the game locked up before a duel and didn't keep my autosave... lost an hour of gameplay.

Also, is the rumor true that you can drag people behind your horse instead of putting them on the rear? I'm assuming you have to be a total bastard to get that ability, but I was hoping it opens up later in the game. I'd love to tie and drag one of the whore-stabby guys through a field of cacti, or drag one of the townsfolk-dragging bandits off a cliff.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

muscles like this? posted:

The one where they want you to drive their wagon? Yeah, it's kind of weird though since they're not really that far from town and bandits attack you for some reason.

I found a camp of NPCs in Tall Trees who started talking about how they better be careful with all this dynamite they had. I watched them from a distance and a few seconds later, the camp just explodes and the two guys go flying.

I laughed like mad. Sorry pardners, but you just wasn't careful enough for the Ooold West.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

Tewratomeh posted:

Also, is the rumor true that you can drag people behind your horse instead of putting them on the rear? I'm assuming you have to be a total bastard to get that ability, but I was hoping it opens up later in the game. I'd love to tie and drag one of the whore-stabby guys through a field of cacti, or drag one of the townsfolk-dragging bandits off a cliff.

Just rope em from horseback and hold the LT down. Now start galloping. You are now dragging that sum' bitch

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
The two TNT guys I happened above didn't give a quest or anything.
It's out in the forest and this one guy is doing something with sticks of dynamite on a table. He yells at the other one to bring him the TNT.
Once he does that, he takes two steps and lights a cigarette.

I waited for the TNT to blow but nothing happened. After a little bit I opened a chest lying on the ground and that got the dynamite guy to light one and throw it at me.
He missed and he blew up the TNT crate, making them fly through the air.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zero Karizma posted:

Just rope em from horseback and hold the LT down. Now start galloping. You are now dragging that sum' bitch

Oh poo poo, I never thought about that... I thought you had to actually tie them to your horse. I always got off my horse immediately if I hogtied someone while riding.

Well, I think I found what I'm going to be doing for a few hours now.

Edit: VV I think it's because every other thing in this game requires you to "unlock" it first. You don't get to mark Deadeye targets until after a certain mission, for instance. Plus I assumed that taking off on your horse with a guy lassoed would just auto-break the lasso.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 4, 2010

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Tewratomeh posted:

:confused: Huh? Why would you think you need some ability to do this? All you need is a lasso and a horse. Sit on the horse, lasso the guy, keep holding the left trigger, and take off galloping.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

Oh poo poo, I never thought about that... I thought you had to actually tie them to your horse. I always got off my horse immediately if I hogtied someone while riding.

Well, I think I found what I'm going to be doing for a few hours now.

I used to keep LT pressed down and then wonder why I couldn't hogtie them... I ain't no drummer. :(

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The only issue with lassoing and then dragging them is that it makes you move super slow. Annoyingly slow in fact.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The missions get considerably more fun and less "chore-like" after you leave the MacFarlane ranch area. Though there are still occasional lame ones. But yeah the game is meant to be played at a slower pace than FPS games and even most sandbox games like GTA. I enjoy that aspect of it, though it's not for everyone

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

ShowTime posted:

The only issue with lassoing and then dragging them is that it makes you move super slow. Annoyingly slow in fact.

True, but now that I think about it, I've haven't tried this from 4-horse wagon yet...

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.
:siren: MP Solomon's Folly (PS3 Exclusive Hideout) PVP Protipzzzz: :siren: (AKA How to be a Dead Eye-Whoring/Camping/Posse-Protecting rear end in a top hat/Badass)

Alrighty - I'm pretty sure I've discovered that the Ammunition/Dead Eye chest campsites are a triggered spawn, and they only show up for you, unless another player has triggered it in that same spot for themselves as well. I've also discovered/determined the most ridiculously effective way to police your posse's ownership of the Soloman's Folly hideout if people are coming around trying to poo poo it up. If you're familiar with that hideout, you know the routine of it glitching spawns, causing everyone else to have to ride out past the tracks to reset it, right? This area concept is key to slapping noobs. From here, I'll describe the process with blurry cellphone pictures and some elite shooping!

==========

You've noticed a flock of nooblets trying to harass your awesome XP farming group @ Solomon's. You're not going to loving just roll over and let them pwn you while breathing heavily and laughing prepubescently into their mics, ARE YOU? Of goddamn course you're not.

It's ownin' time :clint:

• Step One A:

Your back is to the Solomon's Folly Gang Hideout. Depicted with a GREEN X is where the Ammunition and Dead Eye chest campsite will spawn. Depicted with the RED ARROW is the "route" you're going to take that will trigger the campsite.

• Step One B:

A closer look

• Step Two:

Here, we have ridden up the side of the hill a small ways. The biggest cue as to when you've "done it right", is basically when the music stops. This means you're out of the "instance", and are no longer a participant in the hideout. In this picture, we have "done it right" and are looking down from our pedestal of triumph on the battlefield that we are about to make our bitch. Notice I've triggered the ammo/DE campsite, depicted with a GREEN circle.

• Step Three:

This picture annotates the Soloman's Folly PLAYER spawn points. This is important for rival posses/players that are actually entering the Hideout to try to mess with your homies. This is also an important perch because it's the main thoroughfare for the SF Hideout.

On this hill, you're NOT a participant. Stepping down this hill, however will likely count you as a participant. This location is semi-important because it also means that you're not subject to the Hideout-imposed aiming system** If you're using Casual/Normal aim, this will allow you to be able to snap-aim against the n00bs that are trying to poop in your cereal. It's also important because if you're fighting "as a participant", you could be killed by the Walton's Gang, or even randomly restarted if the group going through completes it and chooses "Restart". FYI, randomly teleporting around and getting big menus in your face isn't conducive to slapping around other people in PVP :eng101:

** When participating in Gang Hideouts, RDR MP restricts Casual and Normal aim settings against other players, to help facilitate the cooperation between posse's in the completion of the hideout - ie: You won't auto-target players in another posse

Some Notes:

• At long distance, you can't see the player's model without a scope. However, the player model is *always* located directly under the colored symbol on their name. Always. Use that to gauge your target's approximate location for long distance Dead Eye.

• Dead Eye is an incredible tool in Multiplayer PVP. Not only does it allow you to place shots, it allows you to goddamn rapid fire in perfect accuracy, with any weapon, for as many rounds as that weapon has loaded - this can prove extremely important in medium-long distance gun battles regardless of what aiming-mode you play in. That said, the significant advantage of having an "infinite" supply of ammunition and DE at your feet is obvious.

• Dead Eye combat is capable of pinpoint accuracy, even through the smallest holes. Case in point - from the spot I depicted in the guide, I was able to kill an enemy player that was hiding in the upper level of the Solomon's Folly barn through a hole between two boards. I couldn't even see him, just his name. I DE waved my cursor over him until I marked him three times. Zing.

• Dead Eye will always paint animals, regardless of who's riding it - Why try to snipe the enemy's/your buddy's horse, when you can Dead Eye it? :v:

Hope this helps some people get more comfortable with Red Dead PVP, because it's a very aggressive means to control your territory and help protect your buddies. Once you get comfortable with your controls and paying attention to enemy colored dots on the minimap/radar, you'll be able to battle-track everything going on around you. Advanced situational awareness coupled with the ammunition and Dead Eye location @ SF, a single player can effectively dominate multiple adversaries in literally seconds. My personal record as of yesterday was killing six rival players within five seconds as they were attempting to grief my Solomon's XP posse.

Ever since I figured these tactics out, I've never had to Find A New Free Roam to avoid griefers. My buddies and I have managed to stand our ground and out-grief, out-kill, out-absolutely bitchslap anyone that came to gently caress with us @ Solomon's.

If you've rolled with Rawdawg_ in PVP/XP @ Solomon's, you know what I'm talkin about :clint:

PS: Couple this with liquidypoo's hilarious tactic of Dead Eye Throwing Knives, and you'll be able to out-grief the griefers with a quickness. Nothing pisses off a bully more than killing him with a throwing knife from 300 yards away while he fails to snipe you :v:

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 4, 2010

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
finished the game last night, just finished reading the thread.

overall i liked the ending, john dying, his son growing up, etc. I was really annoyed that i john couldn't take out ross during his last stand. I replayed the mission once hoping that instead of smuggly lighting his cigar the camera would pan over both men's dead bodies, showing that it was over. "Remember my family" worked out okay though.

My biggest problem is that it didn't feel as epic as it was supposed to be. I mean, by the time 20 guys have me corned in a barn, i've shot and killed over 1000 men in the last few months, and just prior to this took out probably 30 men with out a rock in a field for cover. the idea that John Marston would have no option but to go all butch and sundance is cool if it were plausible that there were enough men outside to actually kill him... so i made my own ending: as jack i went to blackwater, walked into the office where ross had worked, shot the clerk in the head, and then killed every lawman in the town. I think it's what john would have done at his age, and it's a great tragic ending that rebonding with his son is actually what triggered jack following in his footsteps.

sorry for the massive spoiler block.

also, today at work it occurred to me that while it's almost certainly not intentional, wearing the legend of the west outfit as john and then later as grownup jack reminds me of El Topo.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Why isn't my improvised campsite giving me ammo?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I just found out you can "Stealth kill" people who are asleep. I was just minding my own business in Armadillo during the night when I saw 2 gang members lay down a couple of mattresses. I took out my knife and wowzers, I could press B to slit their throats. I don't know if this is awful and sickening for the game developers to put in!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stoic Commie posted:

Why isn't my improvised campsite giving me ammo?

I believe it only gives you ammo if you're completely empty. And even then, it doesn't give you much. I tested it out with the basic campsite and I only got 10 repeater bullets. Maybe the improved one gives more, but I think it's just for emergency situations that should never come up so long as you actually aim at targets.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Other than maybe the first few missions in the game, I can't even remember a time when I was even close to running out of ammo. Occasionally I might run low on pistol or sniper rifle ammo, but that's okay because I can pull out one of my other 8 guns and problem solved.

Sir Neckbeard
Jan 1, 2010

ShowTime posted:

Zero Karizma posted:

True, but now that I think about it, I've haven't tried this from 4-horse wagon yet...

I wanted to do it from the train, but they disable the lasso :argh:

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
I didn't know what the Dead Man's Hand was, until someone in this thread mentioned the HBO series Deadwood. Having watched the first few episodes, I came to the conclusion that Wild Bill Hickok was a badass. Thus, I looked him up on Wikipedia and came across the Dead Man's Hand section.

I had that hand! Kind of. Two Aces, Two 8s, though I don't think they were of black suits. But I did have the game glitch on me when I won the round with that hand. It was in mexico, where (mexico ending spoiler) I had already put the guy you help into power, so the lawmen would occationally attack you when not wearing the reye's rebel outfit. One of them clipped through my poker table and started blasting me in the face! I stood up from the table as if having quit out from the game and returned fire just in time to not die.

Can't help but look back at it now with a bit of :tinfoil:.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

drat that stranger mission where you pick a bunch of flowers for some old dude. Turns out he wanted them for the decomposing corpse of his wife, which he keeps in his cabin. :cry:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Spitshine posted:

PS: Couple this with liquidypoo's hilarious tactic of Dead Eye Throwing Knives, and you'll be able to out-grief the griefers with a quickness. Nothing pisses off a bully more than killing him with a throwing knife from 300 yards away while he fails to snipe you :v:

Just a quick addition to this: sometimes after painting, I've had my character just automatically chuck the knife without me hitting R2 (that's RT for you 360 people (I think)). I believe this has to do with the mechanic that automatically starts firing for you when you paint an X for each bullet in your clip/chamber/etc. Failing that, you can still mash R2/RT if you haven't thrown yet; just make drat sure it's painted an X for you to throw at.

Also, if for some strange reason you want to stop yourself from throwing at something you've painted at, you can always click the right stick before you throw. I haven't really played with this, but I'm pretty sure cancelling your dead eye after painting something just turns it into a standard throwing arc. But really, why would you want to do that? :v:

Edit: It wasn't just shafourdow we were griefing. Don't forget the guy with the Mexican character, Gee1938 or something like that. He trash talked once, then immediately turned his headset off :haw:

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 4, 2010

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Can anyone tell me who Stranger #2 is according to Rockstar Social Club? Where do I find this stranger?

Edit: Aztec Gold

Mills fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 4, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Thinking of getting a private SA Goons free roam session going late-night tonight (like 12 AM to 3 AM EST).

Who's in? :clint:

Also, what is the easiest and/or quickest way to get a lot of cash. I think Poker might be the way, but any other suggestions?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 4, 2010

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?
Does anyone know a good location for boar that isn't that place north of hennigan's stead? That place is cougartown. Everytime I head out there I encounter 1 or 2 boar and 7 or 8 cougars.

I could've sworn I encountered some out in stillwater creek before, but I've ran around there a bunch without seeing any

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Mills posted:

Can anyone tell me who Stranger #2 is according to Rockstar Social Club? Where do I find this stranger?

Edit: Aztec Gold

Near the east entrance of Sidewinder Gulch.

OrangeGuy posted:

Also, what is the easiest and/or quickest way to get a lot of cash. I think Poker might be the way, but any other suggestions?

Find one of those guys that challenges you to shooting birds. Intentionally lose and he'll offer a double or nothing. Keep losing until you have just enough for one more bet and then win. Then kill and loot him afterward.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 4, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Philip J Fry posted:

Near the east entrance of Sidewinder Gulch.

Find one of those guys that challenges you to shooting birds. Intentionally lose and he'll offer a double or nothing. Keep losing until you have just enough for one more bet and then win. Then kill and loot him afterward.

Holy poo poo, I didn't think of this before. Great idea!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

KungfooMF posted:

[ENDGAME]It sure was satisfying putting a bullet in Ross using the gun he gave my father.

Where do you find him? It says in the last paper that he lives near the lake out by Armadillo but I couldn't find him there. Also during the last mission I had a weird bug where there was another Jack hanging out in the barn not doing anything but standing there. So when they escaped it looked like they left Jack's retarded twin brother who lived in the barn behind.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 5, 2010

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Muscles go to Black Water and take the stranger mission there.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

OrangeGuy posted:

Five-finger fillet hands down. The pattern is easy to remember, never changes so there's no luck involved, and after you max bet a couple times you'll be allowed to bet $100 per pop, allowing you to win that much every 45 seconds.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Philip J Fry posted:

does this work with all betting people, or just the bird shooting one?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is anyone else still having issues with being kicked out of free roam all the time? RDR is the only game I have that craps out on me all the time, everything else is just fine.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
I tried using the free roam throwing knife dead eye thing last night on a private game and it worked fine, today I join a public game and it ain't working, was it stealth fixed or something? :argh:

Misquoter
Nov 2, 2009

A bearded man.
A mushroom cloud.
[Two bears high-fiving.]
Deadeye knifing still works... But it's so much more fun to go suicide bombing on a mule.

HEEEAW--BOOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Skeezy posted:

Is anyone else still having issues with being kicked out of free roam all the time? RDR is the only game I have that craps out on me all the time, everything else is just fine.

I was having this problem, so from a goon's advice in the PS3 hardware thread I went out and bought a new router. Been perfect ever since I replaced it two days ago.

Try updating router firmware, or getting a new one altogether. It worked for me.

• Locked thread