Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
What do I need to do to get the US marshals after me? I have full fame, $2674 bounty and I'm sitting outside the doctors office in blackwater waiting for it to open so I can buy some meds and no one is after me...

also, ENDGAME SPOILER OH GOD I hate playing as Jack, bring back John :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Kiwillian posted:

What do I need to do to get the US marshals after me? I have full fame, $2674 bounty and I'm sitting outside the doctors office in blackwater waiting for it to open so I can buy some meds and no one is after me...

also, ENDGAME SPOILER OH GOD I hate playing as Jack, bring back John :(

I was about to say that Jack doesn't look or sound right, would be happier if he looked like John without the scars (or a bear claw scar) and the same voice, maybe through a filter. I also completed some stranger quests before John died, and didn't return to them until after, so I have people reacting to events of 3 years ago like they just happened, a woman said she would go to the funeral of the guy John killed. I might do another playthrough to both play as an rear end in a top hat and keep John alive. Though I kind of want to see if you can start "I Know You" as Jack, since Goddy McSatan-Death refereed specifically to John and his past.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

ENDGAME SPOILERS AHOY

BizarroAzrael posted:

both play as an rear end in a top hat and keep John alive.

You can't John dies at the end (ha!) no matter what you do.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Kiwillian posted:

ENDGAME SPOILERS AHOY

You can't John dies at the end (ha!) no matter what you do.

I gather that, I meant just not do those last missions and get all the outfits and stranger missions.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

I gather that, I meant just not do those last missions and get all the outfits and stranger missions.

I was gonna say your spoiler was broken but you fixed it, not that it is much of a spoiler.

Anyway, what they did has totally killed it for me. I'm done.

They could have had Jack write stories about John and the post-game bit is you living out those stories, but no.

I don't want to play Jack. gently caress you R*! :(

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Kiwillian posted:

I was gonna say your spoiler was broken but you fixed it, not that it is much of a spoiler.

Anyway, what they did has totally killed it for me. I'm done.

They could have had Jack write stories about John and the post-game bit is you living out those stories, but no.

I don't want to play Jack. gently caress you R*! :(

Not only that, but the Stranger mission weirdness and seeing the world hasn't changed at all in 3 years breaks the immersion, stops making the world seem alive. Also annoyed that I didn't get to kill Reyes or the Yale guy.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
I guess there's some glitch a guy was using where he was basically doing the "leap over fence" animation over and over, so basically he looked like a monkey hopping around half underground, he'd only stop to aim and deadeye someone instantly to death.

Fun stuff.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Not only that, but the Stranger mission weirdness and seeing the world hasn't changed at all in 3 years breaks the immersion, stops making the world seem alive. Also annoyed that I didn't get to kill Reyes or the Yale guy.

It's not so much MY IMMERSION but just that I spent 30 odd hours being John and now it's all Jack, who sucks and is a kid. Doing the "tippy hat" button thing with him at max lowest honour just sounds silly

I am probably being too pedantic or something, I dunno. :(

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I just found the only time so far I've been glad that there is voice chat in this game. Two posses of four had just finished fighting it out, and they suggested that everyone meet in the center of town to coordinate a game. "Guns away, guns away," they keep saying. So everyone gets into the center of town, and I pull out the dynamite. My posse leader shouts, "Hey, what are you doing, I said guns away!" As the fuse neared the end, they all realized and starting shouting incomprehensibly over each other. Then we all died.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

vote_no posted:

I just found the only time so far I've been glad that there is voice chat in this game. Two posses of four had just finished fighting it out, and they suggested that everyone meet in the center of town to coordinate a game. "Guns away, guns away," they keep saying. So everyone gets into the center of town, and I pull out the dynamite. My posse leader shouts, "Hey, what are you doing, I said guns away!" As the fuse neared the end, they all realized and starting shouting incomprehensibly over each other. Then we all died.

I loving love doing this, hell just suicide bombing anyone in this game is fun as hell.

Allahu ackbar, pardner :clint:

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
I was wrapping up some of the late challenges, collecting furs and plants, got a good load of them and was moving down to Thieves Landing, sticking to the roads to be safe. As I run down on my finest horse, a cougar is under a tree on the side of the road. I think, "A few extra bucks!" and take some shots at him, missing. For some reason, my horse refused to be spurred faster, and the cougar lunged, killing him. I recover and prepare to shoot it, but get crossed by a second cougar. I hammer some medicine and prepare to kill both when a BOAR comes upon me!

I literally was reamed by two cougars and a boar. And I lost a ton of fine pelts and plants. :(

I love this game.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

The song Compass later is just as cool. As is the end credits song. The music cues in this game were literally perfect.
Except when they do not trigger because you do not do exactly what the developers intended.

Mexico. :negative:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Machismo posted:

I literally was reamed by two cougars and a boar. And I lost a ton of fine pelts and plants. :(

I love this game.

Something similar has happened to me while hunting the (goddamned) bears. I was running from 2 or 3 bears and a couple boars when I ran straight into one I didn't see as I zig'd (when I should have zagged) to the left. Looked like he clotheslined me Jimmy Superfly Snuka style.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

End of the game observation, so if you haven't, don't scan over it.

The beauty of the last revenge mission is how Edgar Ross becomes John Marston but in a slightly different setting. If John cannot escape his past as an outlaw, then Edgar certainly can't escape his profession at all: his wife goes on about how the Bureau refuses to let him go (playing into his 'working man' nature of spreading 'civilization' to the West) and it finally hit me that the Ross mission changes the whole 'can't escape your past' theme with 'can't escape your situation/profession' theme. It flies in the face of America being a land of opportunity and turns everybody into an indentured servant who's held in place by some twisted sense of honor. And just as everybody gets what they want--Marston's bucolic family life, Ross finally gets a vacation--they are cut down because they have no more use. The idea of emotional fulfillment--Marston's family life, Ross's job--become another leash to be jerked around by. The tragedy of America, according to this game, is that your dreams are used against you. Even Ross, the pinnacle of lawlessness, cannot escape this. He tries to use civilization and savagery as a convenient Other, but it's just the same power dynamic that he used on Marston that eventually has him stupidly trying to outdraw a very young and bitter man on the riverbank: except this time, he dies like a dog.

I guess I'm just impressed by the thought that went into the story's themes. Finally all those scenes of lengthy discussion finally add up to something. And I thought the final story mission was quite powerful in this regard. The Nature or Nurture element is essentially a fiction and relies on the idea of civilization as a good and positive force. If anything, the nature of mankind as a violent creature is what is real. Dutch, to a point, was correct: it's a paradox. But in this regard, there might be a way around it, but it's not going to come from creating an Other to externalize the conflict. Ross's mission to 'civilize' is just going to make the barbaric nature of mankind more palatable and ultimately nilhilistic. Take note of the silence, awe, and horror of Ross's manmade tank just four short years before World War I destroys the idea of honorable war and replaces it with one of the greatest themes of the 20th Century: easy mass murder on a scale that eventually forces a greater sense of peace. Marston's world allows for a lot of death, but Ross's 'better' world allows for jingoistic mass murder on a much, much greater scale and with less regret and more detachment. In this case, which is really the 'better' world: the one where you kill on a somewhat personal level to the tune of hundreds, or the one where you kill on an impersonal level to the tune of hundreds of thousands? Neither is palatable, but the latter is so dangerous because the lesson and guilt of death is never learned.

Pretty deep for a Rockstar game.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Pretty deep for a Rockstar game.

Part of me wants to say it's just a coincidence, but they are really good at social commentary, so I have to agree that it was intentional and does bring up a lot of good points. GTA does this too in a more topical sense, but no one really pays it enough mind to see it most of the time.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone with a PS3 want to get together to play some MP in 10-15 minutes? Can farm XP, farm trophies, grief pubbies, or go on a gay flower picking contest, I don't care. My PSNid is RFennema, go ahead and add me, and I'll invite everyone in once I boot up.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Brightman posted:

Part of me wants to say it's just a coincidence, but they are really good at social commentary, so I have to agree that it was intentional and does bring up a lot of good points. GTA does this too in a more topical sense, but no one really pays it enough mind to see it most of the time.

Plus most of their commentary focuses on the corrosive effects of capitalism with America as the focus. There's a paper in there somewhere.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I used its themes as an example in a paper before, but not as the main topic.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Free roamed with a random group of spanish speakers yesterday. Sure enough I'm hanging out in Armadillo when a band of Mexican Federales come rolling into town. Were they going to try and take over the town? I don't know, but as I killed their horses from a-top my roof I couldn't help but be overwhelmed with a sense of patriotism. :patriot:

EDIT: Someone invite me to a free roam psn: spidoman

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 5, 2010

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

spidoman posted:

Free roamed with a random group of spanish speakers yesterday. Sure enough I'm hanging out in Armadillo when a band of Mexican Federales come rolling into town. Were they going to try and take over the town? I don't know, but as I killed their horses from a-top my roof I couldn't help but be overwhelmed with a sense of patriotism. :patriot:

Goddammit... there are those times when I wish I'd just swallow my pride and give X-Box Live Gold a shot for a month or two. This is one of those times :(

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!

Tewratomeh posted:

Goddammit... there are those times when I wish I'd just swallow my pride and give X-Box Live Gold a shot for a month or two. This is one of those times :(

Ya, who wants a terrific service to network with friends and such as you play a game. I mean, when I am just voice chatting with my friends while I play the single player, it feels kinda worth it.

It has a lot of pluses of PSN (I have a PS3) to make the online experience far more enjoyable.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tewratomeh posted:

I don't know if the offer is available in the US, but in Canada right now there's an ad up on Live that's offering a month of Gold for $1.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I've been bipolar-16, just not in the span of the same conversation :lol:

OK that made me laugh, being bibolar has nothing to do with being an annoying teenager but we all were weren't we?

Pretty sure I was annoying anyway.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't know if the offer is available in the US, but in Canada right now there's an ad up on Live that's offering a month of Gold for $1.

Don't forget the strings attached. After that month is up, Microsoft will start charging the credit card you used for new subscriptions.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
STORY TIME:

I was wandering around Mexico when I see a little camp. I go over and there are two guys fiddling with TNT boxes and explosive barrels and dynamite. I walk next to the table of TNT and I get two dynamite sticks, but they don't care. They didn't seem to have guns, so I go to the nearby tent and take a looksy in the chest, and get five dollars.
Then the guy at the table loving lights a stick of dynamite and throws it at my feet (like two feet away from himself) so I sprint a few feet then roll over a small ledge/hill for cover. The whole camp blows up, and when I go back to investigate/loot I find out that my horse was standing there the whole time, and is now dead.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Slappy Moose posted:

STORY TIME:

I was wandering around Mexico when I see a little camp. I go over and there are two guys fiddling with TNT boxes and explosive barrels and dynamite. I walk next to the table of TNT and I get two dynamite sticks, but they don't care. They didn't seem to have guns, so I go to the nearby tent and take a looksy in the chest, and get five dollars.
Then the guy at the table loving lights a stick of dynamite and throws it at my feet (like two feet away from himself) so I sprint a few feet then roll over a small ledge/hill for cover. The whole camp blows up, and when I go back to investigate/loot I find out that my horse was standing there the whole time, and is now dead.

Standing up?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PhattWebb posted:

Don't forget the strings attached. After that month is up, Microsoft will start charging the credit card you used for new subscriptions.

How is that a string? Cancel the sub before it auto-subscribes; I don't believe it says you get the dollar month only if you pay for X amount of months at full price later on.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Grishka posted:

Pretty awesome session with OrangeGuy and whoever Karnage09 was. Gang hideouts in which I always seemed to nearly kill OrangeGuy with dynamite, chariot drive-bys and being stuck behind enemy lines, surrounded by cougars.

It definitely was!

I am up for some more multiplayer on Xbox Live. Please send an invite!

Gamertag: Yaegzilkof

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
this game needs one of those cattle stunners and a button that lets you ask "what's the most you've ever lost in a coin toss"

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

roffle posted:

this game needs one of those cattle stunners and a button that lets you ask "what's the most you've ever lost in a coin toss"

No it doesn't

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I love the short scene after some missions where Marston stands there and chills for a moment with a cigarette. That's nice atmosphere.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Howard Beale posted:

I love the short scene after some missions where Marston stands there and chills for a moment with a cigarette. That's nice atmosphere.

Normally I'm against taking control away from the player outside of cutscenes, but this is one exception. I'm always pleased when Marston's smoking for a moment.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

isk posted:

Normally I'm against taking control away from the player outside of cutscenes, but this is one exception. I'm always pleased when Marston's smoking for a moment.

I would also like to point out that Rockstar is making smoking look really cool again.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Sweet first game I've 100%-ed. 1 day 9hr 37min 29 sec

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I would also like to point out that Rockstar is making smoking look really cool again.

Not to mention the tobacco adverts.

The newspaper articles that tell us that smoking is a great cure for Tuberculosis and other ailments are a great touch.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

How the hell do you shoot people's hats off? I just keep killing them, no matter how high I aim.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

How the hell do you shoot people's hats off? I just keep killing them, no matter how high I aim.

Shoot the brim.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

IRQ posted:

Sombreros

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
Got my 100% earlier today and I've only got 3 Xbox achievements left to get before I have them all. (Posse, 4 Wins, Top Rank)

Glad I've got singleplayer completely out of the way because I'm finding the multiplayer aspect of the game just as fun and thrilling at the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

IRQ posted:

Maybe try putting away the joint next time? :haw:

• Locked thread