Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

I'm sorry that I didn't read through the whole thread to see if anyone else posted this, but I just thought it was neat.

So I bought the bandolier from the General Store to increase my ammo count. It shows up on John's model so I was like, "Oh cool, I'm glad they took the time to make it visible."

Just today I noticed in a cut scene after a lot of shooting that most of the rifle rounds were missing from the bandolier. :monocle:

This game is awesome. Dragging prostitutes(that try to ambush you) behind your horse with a rope is awesome. The sound effects for gun shots are awesome. Everything has so much ooommf and I feel like I'm not just shooting a cap gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Secret Machine posted:

I'm sorry that I didn't read through the whole thread to see if anyone else posted this, but I just thought it was neat.

So I bought the bandolier from the General Store to increase my ammo count. It shows up on John's model so I was like, "Oh cool, I'm glad they took the time to make it visible."

Just today I noticed in a cut scene after a lot of shooting that most of the rifle rounds were missing from the bandolier. :monocle:

I thought that was going on, but I wasn't sure if it really was, or if I was losing it.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

OrangeGuy posted:

By the way, when should I make an extra save like someone said? I just unlocked Blackwater, so I should be coming close, right?

I've been skimming the through the thread but haven't seen this mentioned before, why is it important to make the extra save?

I also made it to Blackwater recently and now whenever I'm out and about in the countryside when I come near a camp, usually two guys sitting by a fire, they just randomly start shooting at me. I thought these were the camps you can go to to listen to someone tell a story. Can anyone clue me in to what it was I did to forever piss off these guys? It's happened maybe 4 or 5 times now.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Protip posted:

I've been skimming the through the thread but haven't seen this mentioned before, why is it important to make the extra save?

I also made it to Blackwater recently and now whenever I'm out and about in the countryside when I come near a camp, usually two guys sitting by a fire, they just randomly start shooting at me. I thought these were the camps you can go to to listen to someone tell a story. Can anyone clue me in to what it was I did to forever piss off these guys? It's happened maybe 4 or 5 times now.

You won't find out why you are advised to make a new save until after you have beaten the game. You will understand why on that fateful day.

As for the camp, could just be two dudes that get startled by you and think you are going to rob them. They could be setting a trap by appearingto be those camps you can go to listen to someone tell a story. They could recognize you and be the son of the uncle of the brother of the guy you killed in your outlaw days. The truth is, you will never know.

edit: oh I just thought of this one. Maybe they aren't shooting at you but are shooting at the TWO COUGARS RUNNING UP BEHIND YOU AGHHH-

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!
If you're getting annoyed with casual aim in multiplayer free roam, it helps to remember that doing a combat roll will automatically break the lock-on the other guy has on you. Probably won't prevent you from getting plugged the first time, but it seems to throw a lot of people for a loop when they're going for the killing shot and can probably buy you enough time to return fire.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

BlazeKinser posted:

If you're getting annoyed with casual aim in multiplayer free roam, it helps to remember that doing a combat roll will automatically break the lock-on the other guy has on you. Probably won't prevent you from getting plugged the first time, but it seems to throw a lot of people for a loop when they're going for the killing shot and can probably buy you enough time to return fire.

That's a pretty good tip. Also on aiming in MP, did anyone figure out if having your settings set to expert aiming will make the guys shooting at you have to aim with expert aiming? I seem to remember it being a question asked a lot of in the old thread and never saw an answer.

Gonna put BlazeKinser's tip and the answer to that question in the OP.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Protip posted:

I had the same thing happen to me when I first came to Thieve's Landing. Some random guy flipped out and started shooting at me for no reason, then I shot back and the entire camp started firing on me.

I think it's something to do with fame and honor, and the more famous you are the more people want to pick fights with you. That's pretty cool if it's true. It's like I had a Jack McCall to my Wild Bill there for a moment. I mean, apart from an entire town firing at and killing me.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Well, I think I beat the game and I am a little bit confused...

***MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS BLARGH PLUS I KNOW YOU SPOILERS***

Welp, that was really awesome and bad-rear end with John facing down the US Army like that. I was low on Deadeye and didn't realize the Federal Agent cunts were there too. Is it possible to shoot every single US Army soldier there? Is it possible to kill the agents? Do you get anything different from it?

Also, I am guessing that's the end with Jack taking over as the main character. Feels weird with his rougher voice versus John's.

Still... Where are the credits? Is there anything else left now besides random challenges for 100% and multiplayer?

Also, is the illusion guy from I Know You the future Jack?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

OrangeGuy posted:

Still... Where are the credits?

Look for a stranger mission in the train station of Blackwater

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Tewratomeh posted:

I had the same thing happen to me when I first came to Thieve's Landing. Some random guy flipped out and started shooting at me for no reason, then I shot back and the entire camp started firing on me.

I think it's something to do with fame and honor, and the more famous you are the more people want to pick fights with you. That's pretty cool if it's true. It's like I had a Jack McCall to my Wild Bill there for a moment. I mean, apart from an entire town firing at and killing me.

Thieves' Landing doesn't like nice guys. This is why you don't get discounts at any of the shops if your honor is on the positive side. If your honor is above the Peacemaker level then people will assume you want to try and clean up their little hellhole and start shooting to run you off.

Likewise, if you have really low honor then they treat you like a king and you'll be quite welcome.

Misquoter
Nov 2, 2009

A bearded man.
A mushroom cloud.
[Two bears high-fiving.]
You really learn to appreciate shotguns in advanced matches with autoaim turned off... It's alot more enjoyable without the assholes using autoaim all the time.

Oh yeah, PSN ID: JHD536

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Morter posted:

Look for a stranger mission in the train station of Blackwater

Sweet, thanks.

It's been a long road, but I finished the story. Finally.

I'm going to take a break from this game, though, and come back to do 100% later. I've been marathoning the game since Thursday.

Still, some parting comments:

All of the songs with actual lyrics have been SPOT. ON. Seriously. Mexico. Coming home from killing Dutch. Burying John. The ending credits. All perfect and spot on - for choice of song, timing, and for capturing the mood. It's awesome.

Still, what was up with the stranger in I Know You. I think I saved after I finished the last instance of that mission, but I'd bet money that is some apparition of Jack's future self.

Also, what is the moral we should be getting from all of this? That "civilization" is hosed up? The American myth of the self-made man died with the looming government presence and the death of the Wild West? The tragedy of a chapter closing in American history?

I think one thing I definitely noticed is how John and Dutch's era was one in which an individual could be the equal of any other man, be he lawman or outlaw. But, with the end of the Wild West and the advent of "civilization," the Federal government controls outlaw and lawman alike - reigning over the common man.

Does this sound about right or am I looking too deeply into this?

Also, does Exodus in America seem to get a deeper feeling after the game is over?

Furthermore (not sure if this should be spoilered, but oh well)...

I think the side characters of New Austin were fine and the atmosphere was OK, but some parts definitely sucked (see: Bonnie's ranching missions).

I think the characters of Nuevo Paraiso were OK but the atmosphere was really great and I love the music over that of New Austin.

The characters, plot, and action of West Elizabeth, however, cranked things to 11. Although the ordinary ranching missions at Beecher's Point tended to be really boring, the game had its highest points with the climaxes of taking down Dutch and facing down Edgar Ross's posse of US Army troops. Oh, and dueling him as Jack was great, too, especially with the Red Dead Redemption splash screen at the very end. Captures the bad-rear end spaghetti western very well.

Is that what the Redemption part is for? Jack avenging his dad's death? Or is it John reforming his old ways?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 6, 2010

jvempire
May 10, 2009

OrangeGuy posted:

endgame moral of story??
This guy pretty much summed it up.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

End of the game observation, so if you haven't, don't scan over it.

The beauty of the last revenge mission is how Edgar Ross becomes John Marston but in a slightly different setting. If John cannot escape his past as an outlaw, then Edgar certainly can't escape his profession at all: his wife goes on about how the Bureau refuses to let him go (playing into his 'working man' nature of spreading 'civilization' to the West) and it finally hit me that the Ross mission changes the whole 'can't escape your past' theme with 'can't escape your situation/profession' theme. It flies in the face of America being a land of opportunity and turns everybody into an indentured servant who's held in place by some twisted sense of honor. And just as everybody gets what they want--Marston's bucolic family life, Ross finally gets a vacation--they are cut down because they have no more use. The idea of emotional fulfillment--Marston's family life, Ross's job--become another leash to be jerked around by. The tragedy of America, according to this game, is that your dreams are used against you. Even Ross, the pinnacle of lawlessness, cannot escape this. He tries to use civilization and savagery as a convenient Other, but it's just the same power dynamic that he used on Marston that eventually has him stupidly trying to outdraw a very young and bitter man on the riverbank: except this time, he dies like a dog.

I guess I'm just impressed by the thought that went into the story's themes. Finally all those scenes of lengthy discussion finally add up to something. And I thought the final story mission was quite powerful in this regard. The Nature or Nurture element is essentially a fiction and relies on the idea of civilization as a good and positive force. If anything, the nature of mankind as a violent creature is what is real. Dutch, to a point, was correct: it's a paradox. But in this regard, there might be a way around it, but it's not going to come from creating an Other to externalize the conflict. Ross's mission to 'civilize' is just going to make the barbaric nature of mankind more palatable and ultimately nilhilistic. Take note of the silence, awe, and horror of Ross's manmade tank just four short years before World War I destroys the idea of honorable war and replaces it with one of the greatest themes of the 20th Century: easy mass murder on a scale that eventually forces a greater sense of peace. Marston's world allows for a lot of death, but Ross's 'better' world allows for jingoistic mass murder on a much, much greater scale and with less regret and more detachment. In this case, which is really the 'better' world: the one where you kill on a somewhat personal level to the tune of hundreds, or the one where you kill on an impersonal level to the tune of hundreds of thousands? Neither is palatable, but the latter is so dangerous because the lesson and guilt of death is never learned.

Pretty deep for a Rockstar game.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've won every duel by aiming for nuts, gun, and head in that order until the dead eye stops. I don't even pay attention to the bar. About 10 duels total.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Also I lost 1000 points in honor for bribing the Mexican cops to stop chasing me. That stopped me from getting max good guy honor and I'm running out of things to do. Is there any easy way to make that 1000 back?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Probably just ride around finding people to help. I don't think there's anything easy per se.

Next time wear your bandanna (unless you don't own one yet), it stops you from gaining/losing honour and fame.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

leidend posted:

Also I lost 1000 points in honor for bribing the Mexican cops to stop chasing me. That stopped me from getting max good guy honor and I'm running out of things to do. Is there any easy way to make that 1000 back?

Put on your elegant suit. go to armadillo and get caught cheating at poker. Shoot the gun out of their hand. Get bonus honor. (I may be incorrect, but I believe it gives honor and fame.)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

OrangeGuy posted:

Still, what was up with the stranger in I Know You. I think I saved after I finished the last instance of that mission, but I'd bet money that is some apparition of Jack's future self.

The most likely theories are that he's either god, the devil, or the personification of death. I lean more closely to the devil, for how he looks and his general manner.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
So finally completed the game today, and had like 2 things left to do for 100%, which I got very soon thereafter.

gently caress me, that was the best game I've played in a long time, now just a few weeks of waiting before MP actually becomes worthwhile :)

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

RedneckwithGuns posted:

What the point of this? I used one save throughout and never had a problem....is it a glitch or something?

END GAME SPOILERS It's just so that if you wanna screw around in Single Player, you can do so as John instead of Jack. Otherwise, you have no way of going back unless you start over.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

TheJoker138 posted:

The most likely theories are that he's either god, the devil, or the personification of death. I lean more closely to the devil, for how he looks and his general manner.

I Know You and endgame spoilers
I think he is more like death with his shadowy face etc. Apparently when you meet him in West Elizabeth and he says "this is a nice spot" it's at Johns future grave. He could be a combination of all 3 since there are things that point to all of them.

I also recommend buying a newspaper after finishing. May need to wait a day or something. Or maybe you can get it beforehand? One of the stories is a bit :smith:

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Secret Machine posted:

.The sound effects for gun shots are awesome. Everything has so much ooommf and I feel like I'm not just shooting a cap gun.

Oh my god, I agree so drat much. I loving love every gun, and it's so fun to just shoot around at stuff. Gunfights are so loving awesome, I love just listening to them, but it's a loving SHAME that there are so few non-main-story full-on gun battles. I love carriage robberies because they always turn into a big loving meat grinder of bandits and peasants, and the few times you come across lawmen/army guys attacking a bandit hideout/fort, it is just so awesome sounding.

Also, I was super stoked that the teammate AI in this game is GOOD. I've actually been saved many many times by my bros in RDR. I'm so used to having to loving count out the bad guys and keep track of them all so I know who I still have to kill, but in this I can just enjoy myself and let my bros shoot the gently caress out of everybody.
It feels like a real war; people are dying on both sides, and you aren't some infinitely-badass guy, you just happen to be more badass.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
If you guys can pull me away from Blur, my GT is Brostophales

Do try!

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Slappy Moose posted:

Oh my god, I agree so drat much. I loving love every gun, and it's so fun to just shoot around at stuff. Gunfights are so loving awesome, I love just listening to them, but it's a loving SHAME that there are so few non-main-story full-on gun battles. I love carriage robberies because they always turn into a big loving meat grinder of bandits and peasants, and the few times you come across lawmen/army guys attacking a bandit hideout/fort, it is just so awesome sounding.

Also, I was super stoked that the teammate AI in this game is GOOD. I've actually been saved many many times by my bros in RDR. I'm so used to having to loving count out the bad guys and keep track of them all so I know who I still have to kill, but in this I can just enjoy myself and let my bros shoot the gently caress out of everybody.
It feels like a real war; people are dying on both sides, and you aren't some infinitely-badass guy, you just happen to be more badass.

Yeah, its great. I'm looking forward to the 4-man co op mission packs. Rolling down a river with 3 bros to invade some sort of stronghold? Sounds like an awesome mission. The first time I played through all the gang hidehouts with a goon posse I was occasionally amazed at how bad assed the music, sound effects, and gameplay were working together. The game has tons of riding around and having small firefights, but the long, intense battles with people on each side are something else.

So hopefully the new co-op missions will give the game more condensed action with good replayability.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
Is the credits song Dead Man's Gun by Ashtar Command from the OST? That song's pretty good. I haven't finished the game yet.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Greedish posted:

Is the credits song Dead Man's Gun by Ashtar Command from the OST? That song's pretty good. I haven't finished the game yet.

Yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkAvVqjbUG8

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
Yeah, I have the soundtrack and learned to play that song on the guitar, it's really easy as it just goes C G Am F forever.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Smoothrich posted:

The first time I played through all the gang hidehouts with a goon posse I was occasionally amazed at how bad assed the music, sound effects, and gameplay were working together.

So hopefully the new co-op missions will give the game more condensed action with good replayability.

If I could join one of the loving metatags I would love to join you goons for some actually fun MP, instead of this horseshit 11 year old pubbie game crap that plagues every drat console game. Every time I try to do anything, everyone (including my own drat posse) just starts shooting me with faggy sniper rifles. I wish that scopes were just removed from this game, or at least multiplayer, because they do not belong or fit in at all with everything else.

Anyway, yeah once I can find some goons to play with, I'm all over the multiplayer. Just hunting cougars and shooting bandits would be great fun.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sco Dylan posted:

END GAME SPOILERS It's just so that if you wanna screw around in Single Player, you can do so as John instead of Jack. Otherwise, you have no way of going back unless you start over.

What's the difference?

e: and how do I view my honor? It lists as hero in the stats, but I don't know if that means it's maxed or what. I haven't actually gained honor in a long time though despite doing lots of stuff. Does that mean it's maxed?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I missed the ending discussion, so here was my one annoyance with it:

Jack is probably still enraged after sitting around for 2 years without any revenge. Why the gently caress is there ANY honor in Ross' death? The whole duel mechanic bugged me in this game, because 9 times out of 10, it was in a situation where John (and Jack here) should have just walked up to the offending guy and shot him in the face. I understand why it was done earlier in retrospect (John is a changed man, it's the way things worked, people might be going the honorable route), but it didn't make sense in the final confrontation.

Maybe a tease of it like they teased you with Dead Eye in John's last stand, but then Jack (lies) and tells Ross he just murdered his family, and then you plug him 8 times in his head. The End. Smirk, walk away, Red Dead Redemption.

I think that would make the whole "The cycle never stops!!!!!!!!" thing much stronger than having another HONORABLE DUEL

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

IRQ posted:

What's the difference?

e: and how do I view my honor? It lists as hero in the stats, but I don't know if that means it's maxed or what. I haven't actually gained honor in a long time though despite doing lots of stuff. Does that mean it's maxed?

The difference is END GAME poo poo John is a bad rear end, and Jack sounds like a whiny clown.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jack was certainly pissed, but he wanted to talk to him first, and look him in the eye as he killed him. There was still no honor in it. Ross was an old man, and Jack was an 18 year old raised by outlaws and gunslingers his whole life, who's probably spent the last 2 years doing nothing but practicing for this day. It wasn't a fair fight, Ross never had a chance.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Jack was certainly pissed, but he wanted to talk to him first, and look him in the eye as he killed him. There was still no honor in it. Ross was an old man, and Jack was an 18 year old raised by outlaws and gunslingers his whole life, who's probably spent the last 2 years doing nothing but practicing for this day. It wasn't a fair fight, Ross never had a chance.

he never deserved a chance

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sco Dylan posted:

The difference is END GAME poo poo John is a bad rear end, and Jack sounds like a whiny clown.

So voice actor, that's it? No actual gameplay differences?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

ENDGAME SPOILERS who actually had the heart to do something else than go home after killing Dutch? I at first had intended to hunt some elk before ending the mission, but as soon as that loving song started playing and I got the prompt "Go see your family" I just couldn't do it. I just had to finally give John his wife and kid back :(

I think that was one of the most emotional moments in the whole game. Even John's death wasn't that devastating for me, probably because reading this thread on my phone (no spoiler tags) spoiled me.

gently caress. This game guys. The last time I was as torn by a game was in Metal Gear Solid 4 the whole end sequence starting from when Snake struggles through that loving infernal microwave room with clips of his friends nearly dying.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 6, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Goddammit. I'd killed and skinned about 20 wolves and was heading to a store for the sweet sweet cash, and came across a blue dot and some asking help in Mexico. Went along and drew my gun and was auto-aimed at a group of soldiers with a guy tied up. So I tried to bail, just as the guy tried to flee, and was gunned down in a loving second and lost my wolf bits. This game, sometimes, fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

IRQ posted:

So voice actor, that's it? No actual gameplay differences?

Not as far as I can tell, no.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

paint dry posted:

Not as far as I can tell, no.

The few stranger missions I had left to do seemed to have unique cutscenes for Jack, with his own mannerisms and dialogue.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
My brother has been watching me play and it's really awkward trying to explain why I'm not John. I've been saying it's an easter egg cheat code :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar
I was flicking through the tv last night and stumbled upon "Red dead Redemption: The Man from black water". It was a tv show with all the fmv's badly spliced together up to where you finish fort mauser. I felt like I don't even need to own the game when they're revealing the whole story on a TV show.

• Locked thread