Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unicron
Oct 6, 2004

Eatin' planets, fightin', and drinkin' 'round the world!

Sir Charles posted:

From Wisconsin. I am talking total travel time, not just flying. Milwaukee - LA - Sydney(where Qantas hosed me over) - Perth.

Oh right.

Yeah, Qantas will do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Godman, my legs feel raped today. I have to walk up and down the office stairs with the same pace as the 80 year old chairman of our company.

Can't wait to get home, spray deep heat on my thighs and roll about scratching like a 'pox victim.

outcast_p
Oct 1, 2004

Anyone in the Buffalo NY area? My teams always seem to be short a person or 2 and could always use an extra player.

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Robin van Persie, then?

:ssh:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Just got back from running suicides, by myself, in the heat. The things I do for my piece of poo poo team.

unicron
Oct 6, 2004

Eatin' planets, fightin', and drinkin' 'round the world!

Shrapnac posted:

Just got back from running suicides, by myself, in the heat. The things I do for my piece of poo poo team.

suicides?

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

unicron posted:

suicides?

Starting at the goal line, sprint to the top of the 6-yard box, then back to the goal line, then to the top of the 18-yard box, then back to the goal line, then to the half line, then back to the goal line, then to the other 18-yard box, then back to the goal line, then to the other 6-yard box, then back to the goal line, then to the far goal line, then back to the and so on.

Doing them in the heat is, well, extra suicide.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Pretty much, yeah.

Gotta love getting chills and dizziness(actually I do, it lets me know that I'm really pushing myself).

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Shrapnac posted:

and there's the difference between the a and b divisions

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

mang posted:

and there's the difference between the a and b divisions

"training". speaking of, i've somehow become coach of a boys under 12's team. they're all pretty good, i think my role is just to really keep them organised and holding their positions. does anyone have any suggestions/website which are good for a few drills?

I've been trying to get them to strengthen their non-dominant foot with some simple passing and moving, few simple through ball drills to get them passing to where their teammates 'will be' rather than always to feet and some agility stuff but any advice from others (with more experience) would be great.

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 26, 2010

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I've become de facto coach now as well as manager for my team, but to be honest I haven't had tried many drills so far. Obviously coaching under 12s is a bit different from seniors as well.

We tried a new drill out last week that someone brought along which was a good pass and move exercise. You need two triangles set out like so:

code:
E     F

D

C

A     B
Pick one person to stand at each of B, C, D and E. Split everyone else in two and line them up at A and F. Then, first one at A passes to C, and runs around the outside of B. C passes to B and B plays a through ball to A as he runs towards F. A now plays a one-two with D, and finally passes to F and rejoins the queue. It's mirrored so F should do the same thing, pass to D, recieve a through ball from E, one-two with C then pass to A and join the queue. C and D need to be receiving the ball from different directions (but they should have plenty of time) so make sure that A and F both start at the same time each round, and get people to always call out both passing the ball and requesting it. There's only two balls though so it shouldn't be too crazy once people have been through once and gotten the hang of it.

Finally for shooting I've done the easy direct shot drill from the Nike website which was pretty much an instant improvement for everyone in the squad. Gonna try the other versions and see how they turn out. With under 12s it'd make sense to just get them to hit the target rather than aim for the corners but the earlier they learn correct technique the better (make sure they follow through, don't lean back, use both arms for balance).

After that I normally alternate each week between a normal practice game and limiting everyone to three touches. Under 12s would probably struggle with a three touch game but without it games often turn into a process of pass to best player -> best player dribbles through and tries to score.

I've got a couple of other new ones to try out on Thursday, I'll let you know how they turn out.

Lastly, thinking back to when I was young and things I know now that I wish someone had told me earlier, definitely teach them the roles of individual positions. I often played at fullback when I was young but all I knew positionally was to stand in line and to the right of the centre backs, and try to tackle the opposition winger when he came towards me. Nobody ever explained that I could move further up the pitch to deny him space or to move into it myself. Admittedly that's probably more relevant to older kids but it does make a difference when you at least have basic instructions for what do when your team has the ball and then what to do if you lose it.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Karma eh.

Was meant to be playing in the game thats 40 miles away last night but I told my mate down south that my thighs were too sore from the weight-training and playing on Sunday.

Well then, my mates at home phoned me up and asked if I was up for a game. Being that my thighs weren't too critically injured and a dose of deep-heat should set me straight I thought I should play anyway. So I did. Thighs were holding up quite well but I did have the misfortune of running into another player and giving myself a dead leg which still aches today.

Game was fun. We were winning 10-5 until the team who was loosing tried the old desperation of "last goal wins". I was in goal by this point since its really difficult to be mobile with a stumped leg. Cue 3 decent saves from me plus one amazing, Alan McGregor esque diving tip around the post. They still scored though and as a result "won" the game.

Last goal wins eh. Nothing more hollow.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

hughsieblingwish posted:

"training". speaking of, i've somehow become coach of a boys under 12's team. they're all pretty good, i think my role is just to really keep them organised and holding their positions. does anyone have any suggestions/website which are good for a few drills?

I've been trying to get them to strengthen their non-dominant foot with some simple passing and moving, few simple through ball drills to get them passing to where their teammates 'will be' rather than always to feet and some agility stuff but any advice from others (with more experience) would be great.

Technique, technique, technique. As a college coach there is nothing more of a put off then seeing a player with poor technique in the most simple areas of the game. If I see a guy who cant serve a long ball correctly I'm almost instantly not interested. If I were you I would have them keep playing every week in small sided games. The more time on the ball the better. If you email me I would be more then happy to give you an example of a practice plan I would use for a group of u-12's.

abradyj at gmail.com

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
We beat the team in second 2-1 tonight, meaning we're now a point clear in first. Roll on Robot House!

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
To hell with it. I'm bored and sitting in class while my students take a test, so I will type up a quick practice plan I would do with kids. Obviously each practice would have a different focus. This practice's focus will be about the important of switching the ball quickly. Not just through pinged long balls, but by getting the ball into the middle of the pitch and getting it quickly to the other end.

Drill: Quick jog and stretch followed by a dynamic warmup (dynamic being the most important part).

Drill: Partner passing - Players will be split into groups of 4. You will set up two different tiny goals about 15 yards apart. One player starts at one goal, another player starts at the other. The final two players will stand about 15 yards outside of the two goals. When the drill begins the players will turn and sprint to the opposite goal, the player outside the goal will play a ball on the ground to them. The two players in the middle need to get themselves to the outside of the cones before they receive the ball. After they receive it they will turn and play it to the player on the other side, then run to the other goal and do the same thing. You will instruct them on how to turn and change it every couple of minutes. So at first it will be "Turn to the right with the inside of your left foot." Then you will change it to "Turn to the right with the outside of your right foot etc etc. Things like this are so crucial to a U-12 player learning the right skills. Eventually after it gets old for them you will switch the people in the middle to the people on the outside. This works on so many important things. Playing a ball on the ground, a good first touch, learning how to turn, using different feet etc.

Drill: Small sided (8v8 or 7v7 or whatever you have). Talk to them about the importance of switching the ball, and how switching the ball quickly will give you an opportunity to attack space that the other team will have vacated. Set up a game with two goals. Each team will then be able to score in either goal. It will be chaotic at first but they will soon learn when to switch and hold the ball up. dont do this for more then 5 minutes.

Drill: Small Sided 2 Create two goals towards the corner on each side. You will have 4 goals total. Each team will have a side they can score on in between those two goals. They will quickly realize if the other team bunkers down in front of the goal they can make a quick pass and be going the other day.

Drill: Small Sided 3 Play a normal small sided game. Have each team focus on quick switches. Dont allow them to overdribble, and if they do put a touch restriction.

Final Drill: Use a finishing drill to allow the players to work. Do something like power and finesse (google it) or one of my favorites is to divide teams into two. Have one team have a line 10 yard sbehind the other about 35 yards from goal. Have them make a through pass to another line to the side of them and about 25 yards from goal. The goal of the line receiving the ball is to take a touch or two and finish. After a player passed the ball he will then apply back pressure. That way they are working on finsihing under pressure, instead of jogging to the net and kicking a ball in which isnt game like at all. Keep a score and the winner gets out of a sprint at the end of practice or something like that.

PhillyLucky fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 26, 2010

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
No idea where to post this, but I just found out that there's a huge youth tourney taking place in the town next to mine, in Bassevelde, Belgium that is. Teams like Barcelona, Lille, Celtic Glasgow, Ajax, AZ Alkmaar, Feyenoord, Anderlecht, Standard de Liège... In the past Real Madrid and some teams from the EPL were also at that tourney. And Enzo Zidane was there 2 years ago.
I might go and check it out, unfortunately I have exams otherwise I'd definitely go. Who knows I see the next Fabregas/Messi/etc in action :)

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I'm playing striker in a 7v7 league right now and I have no idea how to properly move without the ball. I never seem to be in the right position. When I used to play I was always a fullback or goalie but the captain always wants me to play up front because after an 8 year break from playing my skills have pretty much gone to poo poo.

Should I just be trying to stay on the wing to make myself an option or am I suppose to try and crowd the box for rebounds or to receive headers? I only have 2 or 3 matches left before I leave and I want to try and get one goal before I move back. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't play striker often but in the last 10 minutes of games I'll often mix it up a bit instead of standing back defending.

Be in space all the time. If you see free space, move into it and call to recieve the ball. If you are a strength based striker, focus on controlling the ball, keeping it away from opposing defenders and setting up your partner striker or midfielders. If you are more pace based try and make it so you touch the ball once and its a shot on goal.

Thats what I do and it doesn't work but you might be far better than me.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
Attacking space is the most important thing. If you see an outside back step up to defend a midfielder, step into the space he just vacated. If you see a forward check back to receive the ball, make a run into the space he just vacated. Things like touch or speed cant really be improved in a few weeks before your season is over. Movement and being active can.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So with my coaching season just about over, I finally got a chance for some weekend games with the crew I play with. They actually have a permit for weekends on the very nice turf field in the park we normally play at... HOLY poo poo.

I haven't played on outdoor turf since high school (2003). It was about 90 that morning. I haven't sweat that much in loving years, and I played brutal. It didn't help that the idiot picking teams stuck me in defense with two like 50-60yr olds (actually capable, but understandably slow as all hell) and some dumb lardass as my sweeper. Did I mention that the other team was pretty much all the good and very fast offensive players?? gently caress me.

The weekday crew is different from the weekenders, so I got a whole new group of fuckin pigheaded, fancy Jamaicans to deal with. I sure do appreciate the dipshit middie with no intention of hustling back yelling at me because I'm the only one who realizes it's not a good idea to take on the much faster and better guys 25yds out from the net with only a fat guy and two old dude's backing me up! We play with the small nets and goalies with no hands, so it makes even less sense than it would to attack the carrier that far out than it would with a big net

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.
I play on a few indoor teams year 'round and had a game recently.

I play keeper and went to dive for the ball (a bit recklessly as his touch wasn't so bad) and he still took a swing. Injured his ankle and gave me a hairline fracture in my collarbone.

But I will be damned if I let him score that goal.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I'm getting to the stage where I'm avoiding playing football because I'm sick of the injuries.

I've only just turned 24 but in the past half a dozen or so games I've had its been a dead leg, then a strained calf, then a badly bruised shoulder, the skin off my knees and palms. That and earlier this year I tweaked my knee which meant I couldn't walk for a week.

Its not so much the pain or the recovery that bothers me. Its hobbling around the office and being told by middle aged woman that I sound like a war veteran with all my groans and squeaks and almost constant stench of deep heat.

Now I know how Lee Wilkie feels.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Ramagamma posted:

Its not so much the pain or the recovery that bothers me. Its hobbling around the office and being told by middle aged woman that I sound like a war veteran with all my groans and squeaks and almost constant stench of deep heat.
Haha yeah, I'm in the same boat, except I'm approaching 30 so I guess it's a little more acceptable.

I went down to footy for our weekly kickabout last night for the first time in about a month. I hadn't played at all in about 2 weeks, that week and the week before I played on Monday with work and ended up doing my knee in, so on Tuesday I was in no shape to play. I'm not sure if it was the pitch or my astro boots (they're falling apart, I need new ones) or a problem with my knee or what, but I decided to rest it up for a couple of weeks. I'm fairly ok, we played on grass for about 90 minutes, I picked up a new pair of proper boots at the weekend and played in them. Just a little stiff and sore today, it's worse when I'm sitting at my desk for a while and get up to go get a coffee or something.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

You whiny whippersnappers - I've got 10-15 years on you guys and I play 45 hard minutes every day at lunch plus full 90 minute matches on the weekend, and aside from a little stiffness the morning after, I've got no complaints. Of course, I can't bend two toes on my right foot and one of those was likely broken some time in the last 2-3 months because it's found a jaunty new angle, and my lower back gets stiffer than it used to...

But I'm not complaining. Just acknowledging. :clint:

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Won 6-3 tonight, consolidating top spot on the ladder. I scored exactly zero of the goals, but I did manage to injure myself in an hilarious fashion. After pulling off a very fancy pirouette to get possession, I attempted to chip the ball into space for our striker but succeeded only in kicking my own heel really hard and having the ball dribble out of play. I'm fairly sure I broke the big toe on my right foot.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
so i've got a nasty little bruise thing on the outside of the heel of my plant foot. it's from slamming all my weight down on my foot during a goal kick. anyone know what's causing it, and what i can do to correct it? i've been wearing extra padding, but it still won't go away.

staying off it is not an option :colbert:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I was warming up our goalie for the final game (it was the playoff, whoever won this one the league) and the ball took a weird bounce and basically everything above the knuckle of his middle finger dislocated and slid downwards, meaning his finger was a good inch and a half shorter and twice as thick

totally gross and my team made me sub in for him :mad:

(I actually play in goal for another team so it wasn't that bad but still)

Alctel fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 2, 2010

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

On another note I am having the worst run at the moment and haven't scored in three games, including managing to somehow miss a completely open goal from no more than 3 foot away (someone elses shot ricocheted onto the crossbar and straight to me), 2 1on1s with the keeper, a shot cleared off the line and many general shots that I should have put away.

Hopefully it will clear up soon :sad:

Chivas Aribas! posted:

Is it just me or are the people who play on co-ed teams way more angry than people playing all men? I went an entire season on an all men side with no one on our or their team getting sent off but the first game of my coed season had two people sent off for terrible challenges. Why does playing next to a woman make some people so angry?

I actually found completely the opposite, the co-ed league is a lot more chilled out than both the mens and the womens leagues (this is in Canada)

Alctel fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 2, 2010

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Alctel posted:

I actually found completely the opposite, the co-ed league is a lot more chilled out than both the mens and the womens leagues (this is in Canada)

absolutely, co-ed leagues are much more chilled out. sometimes it gets a bit firey when someone gets collected. I dont appreciate it if my girlfriend gets hacked down from behind. All male leagues are hosed, filled with hypocritical aspirational types who think they're the second coming of C-Ronaldo, who'd love to throw a elbow into your chest when noones looking but will collapse like a house of cards if you touch them.

this is indoor by the way.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

hughsieblingwish posted:

absolutely, co-ed leagues are much more chilled out. sometimes it gets a bit firey when someone gets collected. I dont appreciate it if my girlfriend gets hacked down from behind. All male leagues are hosed, filled with hypocritical aspirational types who think they're the second coming of C-Ronaldo, who'd love to throw a elbow into your chest when noones looking but will collapse like a house of cards if you touch them.

this is indoor by the way.

Same experience here, it's actually why I went to coed from men's league. Plus for some reason the people seem to be a lot more reliable, the men's team I was on had a different lineup every week. Although that might be more because it's an over 30 league, too.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Coed's a lot of fun, but in my experience you occasionally run into a girl who can play well but thinks she is allowed to cheap shot you because you're a guy.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Ramagamma posted:

Yeah, I'm getting to the stage where I'm avoiding playing football because I'm sick of the injuries.

I've only just turned 24 but in the past half a dozen or so games I've had its been a dead leg, then a strained calf, then a badly bruised shoulder, the skin off my knees and palms. That and earlier this year I tweaked my knee which meant I couldn't walk for a week.

Now I know how Lee Wilkie feels.

I'm the total opposite. Though my limited skills have eroded even more since I last played, this poo poo has helped me get in at least passable shape for the summer. Plus, it makes me feel better. I have a terrible lower back from lacrosse and gym, and then never letting it heal properly (the entire right side might as well be a big block of immobile scar tissue now—if i'm sitting, I can't bend my legs from 90 degrees to 180 because it feels like someone stabbing me). Once I get warmed up and start running, it doesn't hurt at all, and I feel great the rest of the day. The next day, it sucks again.

Injuries take a bit longer to heal now, yeah, but it's been mostly minor poo poo, a knee to knee that was sore a bit. The worst I had took place yesterday when I got bicycle kicked in the loving face. That was fun. Surprisingly, I don't even have any cuts or bruises, but goddamn does my face hurt right now. It just missed my teeth for the most part, just clipped my nose and cheekbone. It looked like a harmless play. I was on d, the guy let a clearance one hop and it was pretty well over him so I went to come over his shoulder for a header and caught it right in the mug.

Though I must say, it sure does plenty for your rep when you take it in the face, still manage to clear the ball, check to make sure your teeth are there and trooper on. It kind of makes up for my complete lack of ball skills

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.
Broke my foot today :cry:

I was keeping inside my box yet some chode tackles me as I pick up the ball.

Grievo
Jul 13, 2006

God.
I played yesterday for the first time in a month and I loving ache.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
i had a pretty awesome save today

we were up 2-1 with the clock winding down in the 2nd half. their striker gets some space at the top of the 18.. i'm about 8 yds out after coming out for another reason a few seconds earlier. so he takes a low shot, and i hear their fans celebrate. i dive to my right fully extended and stop the ball dead with my finger tips! i hear their fans groan and my teammates scream. i pull the ball toward me and let my team push back up the field. i unleash a mega-punt that goes out of bounds at the other touchline. the ref blows the whistle and we win! :woop:

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

Grievo posted:

I played yesterday for the first time in a month and I loving ache.

I played on monday for the first time this year and I only feel like I could play again today. Recovering sucks.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Taxes posted:

Broke my foot today :cry:

I was keeping inside my box yet some chode tackles me as I pick up the ball.

what kind of a break are we talking about?

anyone, that sucks. especially now in the summer.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

League playoffs this weekend; we won yesterday 5-0 so we move on to the Div III championship today. Scored my first league goal, it was sweet! I'm a fullback so I don't get up into scoring position much, but as we were short girl subs yesterday I swapped positions with the midfielder in front of me for a while. One of our forwards got the ball out on the right wing, he worked it up and inside a bit while I moved up the center, a quick pass past a slow defender centered the ball for me just inside the area and I put straight in the lower right corner.

That was actually the fifth goal and there were only about 10 minutes left, but apparently it was just too much for one of the guys on the other team as he starts screaming at the ref insisting I was offside (he was standing on the touchline as he started yelling, you'd think he'd at least move up before he starts complaining). Long story short, he gets red carded for ref abuse, which comes with a nice multiple-match ban. Why the hell would you wait until you're down 5 goals to start complaining?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
Wait, Americans still use SWEEPERS in high school? Tactically that's a bit outdated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Oh Em Gee posted:

Wait, Americans still use SWEEPERS in high school? Tactically that's a bit outdated.

The entire American system from grassroots to the college level is tactically outdated.

High schools use sweepers because high school teams use Theo Walcott types as their strikers(really fast, no actual footballing skills) to just run by the "slow" kids who play defense.

Stick a sweeper back there with some pace and it'll nullify that kid.

The idea of a flat back four with wingbacks hasn't really caught on yet.