Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So yeah, I had to skip the credits when I beat the game on my playthrough because my friends were over and wanted to play multiplayer, but listening to the credits song.....gently caress. I can't help but say this is one of the greatest games ever made, it's just so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Palleon posted:

Yeah, I was playing with another goon, he was driving, and he grinded about halfway across the bridge, before we fell off, but the horses hung on for a few seconds, so we had plenty of time to realize what was going to happen before we fell to our deaths. We tried again, with me driving this time, and we got about 10% of the way through before I hit a bump and catapulted myself way off the bridge into the water, and the coach lost control and sent him in not too much long after.

You might have missed it because of your untimely demise, but on the second attempt the stagecoach did about 10 barrel rolls with me in shotgun, spinning and flying a few hundred feet before landing in the water.

Also you left out the part where we said "gently caress it, we'll cross on horses" and then your horse went straight off the edge and in to the water.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pres posted:

I was flicking through the tv last night and stumbled upon "Red dead Redemption: The Man from black water". It was a tv show with all the fmv's badly spliced together up to where you finish fort mauser. I felt like I don't even need to own the game when they're revealing the whole story on a TV show.

That wasn't a tv show. That was the 30 minute long "short film" that John Hillcoat "directed" despite it apparently just being cut scenes edited together.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Smoothrich posted:

The few stranger missions I had left to do seemed to have unique cutscenes for Jack, with his own mannerisms and dialogue.

Is that right? I had guessed that they were the same scenes but with Jack's VA in place of John's. I mentioned earlier that you can get some weirdness if you do part of a Stranger quest before the time skip and finish after.

Has anyone done I Know You after finishing the main game? I'm interested in if you can, and if it's different to normal, the guy refers to John by name.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Two achievements shy of a full 1000 points, I only lack posse up and the get to level 50 in multiplayer, and I really do not want to grind out those levels doing the gang hide outs.

This game is loving amazing and I'm sad that I will be completely done soon.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

IRQ posted:

So voice actor, that's it? No actual gameplay differences?

Yeah, it's just that bad.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has anyone done I Know You after finishing the main game? I'm interested in if you can, and if it's different to normal, the guy refers to John by name.

That's the only stranger mission you can't do after you finish the story, but it doesn't count towards 100%.

Also, there is a SHITLOAD of griefing going on in free roam. People treating it more like a gang shootout. Luckily I'm pretty drat good at this poo poo, so I constantly put them down until they give up.

I was posse'd up with some guys, and another two man posse came and just killed us after we finished Tumbleweed, and we saw them but didn't start firing or anything just grabbed ammo and stuff. So I killed them over and over for about an hour and a half as they chased me halfway across New Austin, they were screaming in another language I didn't recognize. Then once I had enough and they went separate ways I caught back up with my posse which was only two other guys now, and after we finish Fort Mercer one of them starts shooting me so I say "what are you doing that for?" His reply? "I wanna see you bleed bitch". So I shoot him once in the head, so the other guy starts firing at me so we roll around until he's put down, then I leave the posse and keep killing them as they try to chase me down a trail, then they finally leave.

Seriously, what the hell? I guess I shouldn't expect people to play nice, but still it's getting excessive. And this was only one play tonight, the other was even worse earlier.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Generally I try to do Gang Hideouts and stuff in Free Roam, but I will specifically go out of my way to kill and kill and kill people with retarded names. Example: Animexwulf22 and KingofAnime03. I killed KoA 12 times in the space of 10 minutes and drove him from the free roam session.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Whenever I'm in Free Roam, I usually see maybe a small posse and a bunch of other people just being by themselves.

So I start up a posse, set check points, and usually all goes well.

Sometimes it goes too well. Sometimes people call me boss and if poo poo gets out of line I gotta kick a bitch out of the posse, we all either agree to only shoot the guy if he shoots first, shoot on sight, or just chase him out of the game in regards to their douchebaggery.

I've had one guy send me a message saying that he was sorry. I explained this to the posse and we all let him back in. And you've got to remember, this is a world filled with lovely little teenagers who would rather smack talk and act like a big tough dude on the Internets.

Not every roam has been successful, but for the most part this has been my experience and it's actually kinda fun. Sometimes we just hit up that Mexican fort with the cannons and build up our bounties, do gang hideouts, whatever.

tl;dr: Start up a posse when you can and be active in it, it can turn out to be fun and sometimes the whole room will join.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Not really understanding why people dislike (endgame spoilers) playing as Jack so much, I understand many may prefer John but the amount of hate baffles me. I quite like Jack, maybe because I was playing as a good guy anyway.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Davoren posted:

Not really understanding why people dislike (endgame spoilers) playing as Jack so much, I understand many may prefer John but the amount of hate baffles me. I quite like Jack, maybe because I was playing as a good guy anyway.

Like many already said... ENDGAME :words: It's as simple as the VA. John was calm and experienced in almost everything he did, and wasn't a screamo action-man. For example, on a common task you'll do many times a day: Speeding up your horse:

John: "Lets go"
"C'mon"
"Hya"

Jack: "YEEHAW"
"QUIT YOUR DILLYDALLYING AND WORK"
"FASTER, FASTER"

Plus, I never really liked Jack's swollen, over-tanned, frozen-to-GLARE face, which you have to look at all the time as a reward for going through the whole story.

So it's just a matter of :clint: vs :derp:, to most people.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

BlazeKinser posted:

Thieves' Landing doesn't like nice guys. This is why you don't get discounts at any of the shops if your honor is on the positive side. If your honor is above the Peacemaker level then people will assume you want to try and clean up their little hellhole and start shooting to run you off.

Likewise, if you have really low honor then they treat you like a king and you'll be quite welcome.

Ahh, I thought that was the case. It just sort of came out of nowhere, and I panicked and wound up killing half the people outside the saloon. Funny thing, though, only one of the guys I killed netted me negative honor (or maybe I just had so much fame and honor that I only lost honor for killing five guys in a row). And none of the killing at Thieves' Landing gave me a wanted level, which I assume is because it's a lawless outpost.

Anyway, in the end I died pretty unceremoniously by jumping into the river that flows under the safehouse in the Landing. I didn't know, until then, that Red Dead Redemption suffers from the old "Water=Death" rule. I love this game, but as a rule I loving hate when games instakill you for touching water deeper than your height.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was never really going to try to be the top of the leaderboards for the Solomon's challenge, but the first guy is 0:00? :lol:

Yeah, can't imagine he'll be getting any prizes. Hopefully.

E: Also the 100% checklist on the Social Club is a joke. A good 50% of what I've done isn't reflected there.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 6, 2010

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I love the randomness of hunting/skinning for mad loots.

"Wolf Heart +2" :psyduck:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Morter posted:

I love the randomness of hunting/skinning for mad loots.

"Wolf Heart +2" :psyduck:

Wow. You sure? Because that should only happen if you quick-skin multiple carcasses in a row, as the game tries to display all of your loot at once. I've certainly never got more than one skin/claw/horn/heart/meat from a single animal.

It's possible to get more than one feather from a single bird, though.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Well it's the day after I finished and Im still thinking about the ending, and I'm still in shock. Is this the first truly memorable ending to a game? The closest to memorable that I can think of are the MGS endings, and those are wordy snoozefests. Heavy Rain? Tries to be like a film, and though it succeeds to a point, it's like a really lovely film.

I guess I'm still in shock because they killed the character you've just spent 30-some hours with. That Rockstar, whose main player base is still idiot 14 year olds, had the balls to do that is staggering. I hope the people whining about it (I guess mainly because Jack sounds like/is a child and has a dumb face) don't put them off making decisions like that again in the future.

A friend said to me that it's like Rockstar keep taking little baby steps towards making the perfect game. I hope they stay the course. If they do, Rockstar could be the ones to finally drag videogames kicking and screaming into adulthood.

But I dunno. Maybe I think too much about videogames.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

moller posted:

You might have missed it because of your untimely demise, but on the second attempt the stagecoach did about 10 barrel rolls with me in shotgun, spinning and flying a few hundred feet before landing in the water.

Also you left out the part where we said "gently caress it, we'll cross on horses" and then your horse went straight off the edge and in to the water.

Yes well there's a reason I left out that last part.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I've never sold anything in the game, not once.
I just checked, I currently have six and a half tons of meat on my person at the moment.
Marston must have a saddlebag of holding.

Also, I found that if I leap off a roof and land on a horse, you actually do land on the horse. Just plop, right into the saddle and ready to ride off instantly. The easiest place to do it is after staying in your room in Armadillo. You can hop the railing and land directly on where your horse hitched himself up the night before. I don't know why, but this amused me (and my brother, once I told him about it) to no end.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Robot Hobo posted:

I've never sold anything in the game, not once.

Yep, I went through the whole game without selling or buying (with the exception of one sell just to see what happens). The default guns were more than powerful enough and I was never short on money (despite not playing any of the lame-o mini games more than once either).

The only time I ran out of ammo (rifle only) was after the story when I was just riding around trying to wipe out the buffalo herd. Then I just switched to shotgun, and got all my rifle ammo back by opening the container in my house before saving.

The whole game's economy is kind of unnecessary.

Are there any guns that are just so amazing that I have to try? I assumed not, since it is trying to be realistic to the era.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Just got finished with the main story, that was the best ending I've ever seen in a videogame. Gonna go for 100% now, and cheers to whoever mentioned the existence of seagulls earlier.

It looks as though the trophies for the DLC co-op pack are in my trophy list, have they changed the release date or do DLC trophies get added before the DLC itself?

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

leidend posted:

Are there any guns that are just so amazing that I have to try? I assumed not, since it is trying to be realistic to the era.

Buffalo Rifle.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Hey this might be a dumbshit question but is there an opening cut-scene explaining why he's being forced to get into the train by the two gentleman that I might have skipped by mashing the controller or do you just find that out when you he tells Bonnie?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

If you're a fan of shotguns, the Semi-Auto shotgun is a blast. 5 shots without pumping, and actually more powerful than the other 3.

I read up on the LeMat revolver and I actually found out it's one of those revolvers that comes with a loving shotgun barrel. Like you put in a shell and it can shoot it, along with the regular pistol rounds in it. I'd love to have that in game, for when you're shooting at animals and a cougar/wolf tries to get all sneaky on ya.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Slappy Moose posted:

I wish that scopes were just removed from this game, or at least multiplayer, because they do not belong or fit in at all with everything else.

The thing is that the way Free Roam works the sniper rifle is actually a weapon that requires more skill to use. This is the only game where I don't get annoyed when I'm sniped from 150 yards away, because at least the guy had to aim something at me.

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.
One of the most satisfying non-cutscene moments in the game for me:

British guy who hands out the Poppycock mission tells me what the package I delivered was and how it's meant to keep the "savages" in line. Offers me a thousand dollars. I tell him to keep the money.

Then? Then I go into Dead Eye and empty a full clip into that racist limey gently caress's face.

Best part is, guess who still had the thousand dollars on his corpse?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I was so excited to play this game. It just arrived in the mail when I get a call from my boss saying that someone didn't show up to work and I had to come in and work all night, then get up and go to PT tomorrow morning. I won't get to start until after work tomorrow. gently caress!

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Olewithmilk posted:

Hey this might be a dumbshit question but is there an opening cut-scene explaining why he's being forced to get into the train by the two gentleman that I might have skipped by mashing the controller or do you just find that out when you he tells Bonnie?

Nah. It's just explained as you progress that (minor spoilers) his family are being held to ransom until John shoots his old bros.

I think John in old times plus the lead up to him being blackmailed is ripe for DLC, but I don't think it'll happen.

Edit: Actually, why do they arrive by boat in Blackwater anyway? (Late-game spoiler) his ranch is in West Elizabeth. I guess maybe they tracked Williamson somewhere else before the game starts?

paint dry fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 6, 2010

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

leidend posted:

This is mostly true, but there've been quite a few times when having some spare medicine bottles and chewing tobacco saved my skin in a fight. Not to mention how handy horse pills are in a race. Just keep feeding your horse some pills as soon as the effect wears off and you can just mash down the sprint button until you're a mile ahead of the pack with no danger of losing stamina. But that's probably just me (I hate any kind of racing in videogames).

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Captain Corduroy posted:

Hahah, I did the same thing! Except I lasso'd him up and dragged him through town until he died. I was really surprised the cash was on him, most games always pull a "gently caress you" when you can do that kind of stuff.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

paint dry posted:

Edit: Actually, why do they arrive by boat in Blackwater anyway? (Late-game spoiler) his ranch is in West Elizabeth. I guess maybe they tracked Williamson somewhere else before the game starts?

To show off the spiffy water effects obviously.

mend1cant
Jul 16, 2009

Jesse was the best Gud damn gun i ever had.
Still got some room left on my xbox live metatag: RedxDeadxGoons

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Captain Corduroy posted:

One of the most satisfying non-cutscene moments in the game for me:

British guy who hands out the Poppycock mission tells me what the package I delivered was and how it's meant to keep the "savages" in line. Offers me a thousand dollars. I tell him to keep the money.

Then? Then I go into Dead Eye and empty a full clip into that racist limey gently caress's face.

I ran the drugs for him, then kept the money when I was supposed to hand it over. Shot him and his two buddies (who I didn't see until too late) and ended up in a massive police shoot-out that ended with the aforementioned loss of 1000 honor for bribing them to stop shooting at me (which I tried only because I had never seen that option before - odds were good that I could've escaped).

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

leidend posted:

Indeed, especially if you keep playing the first liars dice game during the film makers side mission where you have to win the deed back, it has a high ante, and after obtaining the deed the ante still stayed at $200. I played several rounds until I got $3000-4000 and never had money issues at all. The next time I went back the ante dropped down to $50 . So your window of opportunity for this comes once.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Can someone confirm that I'm not alone in not having a clue about how to play poker.

:negative:

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Amusing spoiler for the I Know You stranger task: On the last leg of the task, the stranger walks away from John, who tries to shoot him in the back. The bullets do nothing. It's all very mysterious and supernatural. But a few times in this game I'd run into a bug where a stranger who is de-spawned reappears in front of me after the task ends. Sure enough, this mysterious supernatural stranger reappeared immediately after he walks away and disappears. So I whipped out my shotgun, shoved the barrel underneath his chin, and murdered Him.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Houdini posted:

Can someone confirm that I'm not alone in not having a clue about how to play poker.

You can play very conservatively until everyone else has dropped out and it's heads-up against the last player. Then you can just shove like Kx and up and your opponent will call with far worse hands. He'll have your stack covered at that point so if he calls with a worse hand and sucks out on you it's game over. But if you're just trying to win a game for an achievement or to unlock a costume, then this method is a fairly no-brainer method that'll only take a couple of tries to succeed.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank

mend1cant posted:

Still got some room left on my xbox live metatag: RedxDeadxGoons

I sent a friends invite. I am always up for multiplayer of any kind.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Maarek posted:

The thing is that the way Free Roam works the sniper rifle is actually a weapon that requires more skill to use. This is the only game where I don't get annoyed when I'm sniped from 150 yards away, because at least the guy had to aim something at me.

Hardly. There is no bullet delay, drop, wind, or even weapon sway/shaking to throw you off. If you play with expert aiming I am much more satisfied to be killed in close/medium range with a non-scoped weapon.

I just wish you didn't have to loving unlock expert-aim free-roam, that is such bullshit. Whoever invented the faggy idea of having to level up to play the good multiplayer modes (IM loving LOOKING YOU RIGHT IN THE EYES, BOBBY KOTICK/CALL OF DUTY)should have every joint in their body dislocated.

Houdini posted:

Yeah, I've never won a hand. I don't play Texas Hold'em in real life so I don't loving know what the hands are and the fact the game doesn't have any kind of reference page at all really fucks me over. Also, the fact you can't just shoot the winner and take their winnings is retarded. Doesn't stop me from doing it out of spite and annoyance, though.

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 6, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Mastiff posted:

Amusing spoiler for the I Know You stranger task: On the last leg of the task, the stranger walks away from John, who tries to shoot him in the back. The bullets do nothing. It's all very mysterious and supernatural. But a few times in this game I'd run into a bug where a stranger who is de-spawned reappears in front of me after the task ends. Sure enough, this mysterious supernatural stranger reappeared immediately after he walks away and disappears. So I whipped out my shotgun, shoved the barrel underneath his chin, and murdered Him.

Now this is Nietzschean!

I did have one really odd moment when (ENDGAME) I faced off against Ross. I forgot that the guy I had on me was the High Powered Pistol. When I went to draw, I was amazed I could place eight shots. Five of them went for Ross's face, and the others went to his chest. When I drew, Ross actually ducked but the pistol still destroyed him before he had a chance to get a shot off. As Jack walked away and the credits rolled, I realized I had killed the motherfucker with the same gun he gave John back in Blackwater. I had to smile at that. Talk about irony, you rat bastard.

That said, with the I Know You stranger mission, would it really be out of place for Jack to come back for a DLC? We're already in the Magical Realism genre here and having Jack Marston come back as a Saint of Killers would rock. It won't happen, but imagining him as a God of Hellfire just tickles my fancy. That said, has Rockstar discounted any DLCs like Lost & Damned at all? It would be a shame since there's plenty of stuff to do. A lot of white spaces on those maps as well....

Edit: Plus Bonnie is given a lot of character just to be a one-off. Perhaps she has a story of her own in the West?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Houdini posted:

It's not that hard. The rules of Texas Hold'em is that you get two cards and then there is a communal five cards. After betting is done, you throw down with the best hand of five out of the seven cards. It's worth considering the communal cards in relation to the other players' bets. For example if there are three kings, or three spades, and the player is betting pretty confidently then there's a good chance he has a flush or full-house.

In the end, the best strategy I had for poker was betting conservatively and trying to get a good grasp on how others were betting and then bet accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's not that hard. The rules of Texas Hold'em is that you get two cards and then there is a communal five cards. After betting is done, you throw down with the best hand of five out of the seven cards. It's worth considering the communal cards in relation to the other players' bets. For example if there are three kings, or three spades, and the player is betting pretty confidently then there's a good chance he has a flush or full-house.

In the end, the best strategy I had for poker was betting conservatively and trying to get a good grasp on how others were betting and then bet accordingly.

The best part is when some rear end in a top hat beats your two pair with 3 of a kind on a big pot you can just plug him in the face with your peacemaker.

• Locked thread