Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

HJHJGKGHSGK that rabbit is loving awesome. And where does one find bunny clothes?!?

They're just XS doggie clothes :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Well that bunny looks like a fancy little lady. I sure hope that's a lady bunny or you're gonna give it a complex.

Hungry Joes Smile
Sep 5, 2007

what's going on? I'll cut you.
There's been some serious cuteness posted lately (Nibbler!! :arghfist:) so i thought i better up my game and post pics of Greta and Audrey taken with a proper camera, not the iPhone rubbish I've fed you so far.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Audrey at 6 weeks - I think this was taken the day we got them.

Greta at 6 weeks. I can tell them apart easily but some people have trouble. Audrey has way more black on her face, and is a little smaller.

This is their house when we're not home. We just upgraded it this weekend. Before this it was a bit pitiful - we just had the dog cage. So this week we got an outdoor exercise enclosure and used the panels to build a big extension. We originally just had a corner dirtbox that they were kind of using when it suited them, so I bought a full size one that they can both sit in with their food bowls inside it too, and moved the corner dirtbox to a new corner of the enclosure that they've decided is a toilet now too. We've got a layer of scrap carpet, then cardboard/newspaper beneath that under the whole set up. Now they can run about and even get a little binky on even when cooped up, which has made them much calmer about being shut away at night.

Taken today, which makes them ~12 weeks old. This is Audrey (l) and Greta sitting on top of Kirk, a big stuffed Siberian tiger toy my partner has had since forever. The buns love this thing. They climb it and groom it and pee all over it and try to rip the stuffing out through the seams. They go well together.

We took on so much more than we expected with these rabbits, in terms of time and cost. But I don't regret it a bit. We originally intended to get a big ole rabbit as we'd heard that smaller breeds could be a bit less friendly, and we wanted character, dammit! When we saw these two in the pet shop looking like speckled eggs we immediately wrote them off. Sure they were cute as hell, but no way could these two toy animals be proper, engaging pets. So we thought. But after meeting a whole lot of buns we finally gave these two a go and they were so well behaved and liked being held and just awesome. In the six weeks we've had them they seem to have really taken to us too. I typically get home well after my partner so they're running about the lounge by then, and they'll run up to me and press their faces at me and demand pettings. They'll lie down with their faces smooshed together so you can pat them both at once. Greta climbs me and licks/grooms me CONSTANTLY. In fact, that's why this post has taken me ages to type up, due to endless interruptions:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

taken just now

They groom eachother and snuggle up with eachother, and aside from a little dominance play from Greta occasionally, they get on like bestest buds. Audrey is giving Greta's ears a clean as I type.

So now that they're getting past 3 months we'll be looking at desexing them.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

NancyPants posted:

Well that bunny looks like a fancy little lady. I sure hope that's a lady bunny or you're gonna give it a complex.

SAM-bam is a lady. It's funny how she always washes herself after I pet her like I've made her so dirty or something.

Sarinnanashi
Dec 27, 2004

I'm sure there is a reason for this, but I don't think I want to know it.

okiecompy posted:

SAM-bam is a lady. It's funny how she always washes herself after I pet her like I've made her so dirty or something.

That's fairly par for the course. How dare we make them smell like a human while giving them affection. They worked hard for their smell! :3:

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Hungry Joes Smile posted:

This is their house when we're not home. We just upgraded it this weekend. Before this it was a bit pitiful - we just had the dog cage. So this week we got an outdoor exercise enclosure and used the panels to build a big extension. We originally just had a corner dirtbox that they were kind of using when it suited them, so I bought a full size one that they can both sit in with their food bowls inside it too, and moved the corner dirtbox to a new corner of the enclosure that they've decided is a toilet now too. We've got a layer of scrap carpet, then cardboard/newspaper beneath that under the whole set up. Now they can run about and even get a little binky on even when cooped up, which has made them much calmer about being shut away at night.

What is that stuff you're using for flooring? My buns' pens are floored with just extra carpet and then a plastic tarp underneath, because Frith dumps over his water bowl when he's grumpy with me. It's probably time to replace that carpet, now that I think about it.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Nibbler eats a poo poo ton. Seriously! Does he not understand the concept of being full, I'm wondering? Also when I take him outside he goes loving ape poo poo for grass. He usually just sits around munching that instead of running around and having fun like a bunny should outside. Do I need to put him on Atkins? :(

Gaylor Moon fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 8, 2010

Hungry Joes Smile
Sep 5, 2007

angelicism posted:

What is that stuff you're using for flooring? My buns' pens are floored with just extra carpet and then a plastic tarp underneath, because Frith dumps over his water bowl when he's grumpy with me. It's probably time to replace that carpet, now that I think about it.

We're just using extra carpet too, with newspapers and flattened cardboard underneath in case of accidents.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Sorry for the double post but what the gently caress?? There is a storm going on and he was pretty scared and nervous so I went ahead and put him in his cage and he appeared to just eat his troubles away. The storm died down a bit so I let him out. He started trying to groom, but kept...falling backwards. Then he started hopping backwards repeatedly. Also shaking really hard. What the gently caress is going on? I think he might be choking. :(

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Are you sure it's not an itch in his ear?

Or a binky? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDXgYa3La_0&feature=related

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er

DS at Night posted:

Are you sure it's not an itch in his ear?

Or a binky? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDXgYa3La_0&feature=related

No it definitely wasn't that, something was really wrong with him. My girlfriend massaged his throat and he's acting ok right now but he's not eating anything, I think he's afraid.

I think he must have swallowed some carpet or something. He was shaking, falling backwards and literally just..hopping in reverse; also it looked like he was heaving sort of. I'm so scared for him :smith:

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

It's near impossible to tell with rabbits. Maybe he was choking, maybe he was freaking out about an itch in his throat. But if he's okay now I guess whatever it was is gone. :)

They're not good with eating after they just had a scare. If he's not eating anything hours from now, that would be cause for worrying.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
FFFFF he's scaring me again. :( He's making a sound...that sounds like when humans swish a bunch of saliva around in their mouth/ He's also making weird faces at me with his mouth. Is he ok or whats going on? :(

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I really can't tell. Unless you happen to be able to upload a movie of it somewhere. But if you're that worried get him to the vet. It's always a good idea to at least get a checkup. And yes it does cost money but the vets who actually know anything about rabbits are totally worth it.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

DS at Night posted:

I really can't tell. Unless you happen to be able to upload a movie of it somewhere. But if you're that worried get him to the vet. It's always a good idea to at least get a checkup. And yes it does cost money but the vets who actually know anything about rabbits are totally worth it.

Seconding this. My boy rabbit is super fragile so I freak out every time that he shows any signs of being sick and if he does it later on I take him. I give him one grace freak out unless he's having gas pain. Then I'm all over the Oval and some water and then a bit later some Critical Care. That's happened less and less since he met my boyfriend and stopped looking for ways to eat carpet.

:sissies:

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
He may just be honking. Generally rabbits hide their symptoms as much as they can if they're feeling sick, since they don't want to look vulnerable to predators. Most likely the best thing would be to watch him like a hawk and make sure he's eating properly. If he's not taking any offered treats or going for his favorites you may want to consult a vet.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

ShadowCatboy posted:

He may just be honking. Generally rabbits hide their symptoms as much as they can if they're feeling sick, since they don't want to look vulnerable to predators. Most likely the best thing would be to watch him like a hawk and make sure he's eating properly. If he's not taking any offered treats or going for his favorites you may want to consult a vet.

Oh god that sound. The memories of being raped by Sprout are coming back all over again :smith:

Seriously neither of our buns have honked since Sprout got fixed, and that was the only stretch of time that she ever did that.

rushivywithglocks
Jul 10, 2005
it is a token of my loveship.
I have amassed about a hundred or so wire grid pieces and would like to make a grand bunny-palace for my bunny and his soon-to-be-adopted buddy. In the past, however, my bunny has nibbled the bars of his abode and they are plastic coated. I'm not really finding much online about whether or not this is an issue, and he's been fine at all of his check-ups, and I'm not even sure if he's eating little pieces off or just chewing and letting them fall or something, but I'd like to make sure it's not deadly or something before construction begins.

I'm sure I could find non-coated pieces somewhere (although I've looked in 5 or 6 stores - they only carry them online now and shipping is a bitch) but I'd really like to use the pieces that I have now. So, any thoughts?

Also, pictures, of course (one shows the nibbling):

Click here for the full 853x320 image.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

For those of you who use scrap carpet for the bottoms of your hutches, how do you clean it? The rabbit likes to pee in a place that isn't her box. I'm not going to fight her on this. Is cleaning up rabbit pee just not an issue for bunnies who do as they're supposed to?

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
You put a litterbox wherever they decide to let fly so you don't have to clean up pee or poop. You could also just remove the carpet permanently.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Well I was going to build mine a hutch/cage and the only thing I could think of to use for the bottom was carpet. I was thinking of just building a long rectangular prism with 2x4s and chicken wire and lining the bottom with scrap carpet.

She needs a bigger house and I would feel better about her time at home while I'm at work during the day if she had room to run around.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
For the love of god how do I get Nibbler to stop eating the shag carpet thats not good for you dumb bunny!

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

For the love of god how do I get Nibbler to stop eating the shag carpet thats not good for you dumb bunny!

One of mine has become carnivorous. I caught Frith trying to crawl up to my side table and steal some fried chicken. I think he's having identity issues. Talk about not good for you!

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
Well, not too long ago I finished laying our bunny of almost 8 years to rest. Pippin passed away tonight. You might have caught a glimpse of her on the top of the forums every now and then:

She wasn't too interested in food today, but I decided to wait it out. Heh. Nugget (our other rabbit) was the one who alerted us by thumping the floor... she passed away laying next to him by his cage. She was still warm when I found her... :(

Nothing much else to say... she made us all happy and we'll deeply miss her.

RIP Pippin, 2002 - 2010

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

KracKiwi posted:

Well, not too long ago I finished laying our bunny of almost 8 years to rest. Pippin passed away tonight. You might have caught a glimpse of her on the top of the forums every now and then:

She wasn't too interested in food today, but I decided to wait it out. Heh. Nugget (our other rabbit) was the one who alerted us by thumping the floor... she passed away laying next to him by his cage. She was still warm when I found her... :(

Nothing much else to say... she made us all happy and we'll deeply miss her.

RIP Pippin, 2002 - 2010

Sorry to hear about your bun. I'm glad you had a wonderful 8 years with her!

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Awww I'm so sorry, she was very cute and somewhat famous. Here's to the good life you had with her.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
My bun is around 8 years old and I worry something is going to happen some day :(

Hungry Joes Smile
Sep 5, 2007

This thread makes me so sad sometimes, and sorry for poor peoples' losses. Especially seeing as I'm getting more and more attached to my buns. They've discovered lap-sitting and times are good. Audrey has a two-jump technique to bounce herself directly at me when I'm on the couch. She pitches herself at about chest height and it's up to me to catch her, then give her the cuddles she demands.

These girls were born March 1st. At first Greta was a little bigger and made some dominance plays early on, giving Audrey a quick hump here and there. That more or less stopped a few weeks ago and it looked like places had been decided on. But just this past week Audrey has been trying to mount Greta. Greta is still the stronger bun. She humours Audrey for a couple of seconds and then lets her have it and chases her off.

typing one handed now as audrey just launched at me...

So the spaying that we had in mind is getting looked at seriously now. Rabbit.org states 4 months as the point where this should happen - my girls are about 2 weeks shy of that. Is their behaviour an indication that they're ready now, or should I absolutely wait until 4mo has passed? I'm concerned that, while at the moment it appears not to have lasting effects, this dominance scrapping could see them do each other a damage, or just irritate one another enough that they're not happy sharing an enclosure. Any advice?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Hungry Joes Smile posted:

So the spaying that we had in mind is getting looked at seriously now. Rabbit.org states 4 months as the point where this should happen - my girls are about 2 weeks shy of that. Is their behaviour an indication that they're ready now, or should I absolutely wait until 4mo has passed?

Go ahead and talk to your vet about doing it now. The 4 month mark is a rough estimate that more often than not is primarily to help make sure the buns are big enough for surgery; so your vet will be able to tell you if he can go ahead and do it or if you need to wait a little. I've had vets do it as young as 3 months on larger babies, and one vet who swore she could do it to 2 month olds (never let her try on my guys but apparently she had a good success rate).

Make sure that your vet plans to perform a total ovariohysterectomy - both ovaries and uterus removed, not just one or the other. Either being retained can still lead to cancer. There's a shelter in NC which only allows their vets to remove the uterus and we're seeing lots of ovarian problems in those animals.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
One of our bunnies is headed to the vet tomorrow morning. We noticed she hasnt eaten any food all night or all day, no new poops and her head keeps twitching to one side. She cant stand up to groom herself without falling over, but she can run around just fine.

She is 5 and a Netherlands Dwarf, so it might be time to say goodbye.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

KenMornignstar posted:

One of our bunnies is headed to the vet tomorrow morning. We noticed she hasnt eaten any food all night or all day, no new poops and her head keeps twitching to one side. She cant stand up to groom herself without falling over, but she can run around just fine.

Are there no emergency vets near you? This is not something you should be waiting for.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

KenMornignstar posted:

I wouldn't rule her out because she's 5 -- it's not unusual for rabbits to live to be 10+. But this is definitely an emergency if you can find an emergency vet. The longer you wait, the worse her chances are.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Melicious posted:

Are there no emergency vets near you? This is not something you should be waiting for.

No there is no Emergency Vet that will take Rabbits around where I live.

Update. She went in this morning, the vet saw her. No ear infection, no tooth abscess. She had some very small diarrhea this morning the vet cleaned off and checked her temp, perfectly normal 101. Abdomen palpitations were normal, nothing firm or too squishy. He doesn't know why she would be dizzy unless its just nausea making her not want to sit upright.

He is thinking its some kind of infection, injected her with vitamins, steroids and antibiotics. He gave us some liquid bunny food and some oral antibiotics. She gets the oral twice a day, he wants to risk that over her going into stasis. If she wont eat we syringe feed her the liquid food.

Next checkup is in 3 days.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

KenMornignstar posted:

No there is no Emergency Vet that will take Rabbits around where I live.

Update. She went in this morning, the vet saw her. No ear infection, no tooth abscess. She had some very small diarrhea this morning the vet cleaned off and checked her temp, perfectly normal 101. Abdomen palpitations were normal, nothing firm or too squishy. He doesn't know why she would be dizzy unless its just nausea making her not want to sit upright.

He is thinking its some kind of infection, injected her with vitamins, steroids and antibiotics. He gave us some liquid bunny food and some oral antibiotics. She gets the oral twice a day, he wants to risk that over her going into stasis. If she wont eat we syringe feed her the liquid food.

Next checkup is in 3 days.

There was no mention of E Cuniculi? This would be my first concern with a dizzy rabbit, particularly when their teeth and ears are fine.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Force feeding small cute furry creatures while they struggle for their lives is what having a rabbit is all about!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Melicious posted:

There was no mention of E Cuniculi? This would be my first concern with a dizzy rabbit, particularly when their teeth and ears are fine.

There was the mention of it, he stated it as a terribad thing for bunnies, but lacking signs of dizziness in her at the time and her improving appetite (she actually nibbled a little on the fresh food and ate 1/4 of her hay last night) he figured it was an intestinal infection.

E: She alos isnt tilting her head at all anymore. The little twitch she had went away last night.

DS at Night posted:

Force feeding small cute furry creatures while they struggle for their lives is what having a rabbit is all about!

Thats right, bunnies don't know whats good for them.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 17, 2010

Blakles
Mar 10, 2008

I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasnt much improved my opinion of them.
So, I tried clipping Cosmo's nails yesterday and it didn't go so well. He would not stop struggling so I had to take him into the bathtub with me. He finally started to settle down and I got through two nails, but the clippers were horrible and I couldn't do anymore.

The ones we bought were the only pair for bunnies at Petsmart, but they are so dull and crappy. Is it okay to use cat clippers? Or is there somewhere online that any of you have found a decent pair of bunny clippers?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Sure. Or just use human nail clippers. I have a pair of these that work ok, a pair of these that are really nice on guys with longer toe-fur, but human nail clippers are almost always my go-to.

If you're talking about the bunny nail clippers that have a bunny-face storage container, those are AWESOME for cutting zip ties.

nuyhij
Feb 12, 2006

Das Mädchen aus der Fremde
KracKiwi, I'm sorry to hear about Pippin. And I agree with Hungry Joes Smile and some of the other posters: this thread makes me downright depressed sometimes, with all of the bunny passings. I can't get myself to think about losing my seven-year-old Dutch. But then I remember that the buns mentioned in this thread are loved and well taken care of.

Which is why stuff like this pisses me off: http://www.slate.com/id/2249562/entry/2257070/. A father gets a rabbit for each of his daughters, and after the family dog kills one of them, he buys a replacement to console the rabbit-less daughter. The dog kills the new rabbit, the daughter is upset, so she gets another new one.:(

nuyhij fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

nuyhij posted:

[S]tuff like this pisses me off: http://www.slate.com/id/2249562/entry/2257070/. A father gets a rabbit for each of his daughters, and after the family dog kills one of them, he buys a replacement to console the rabbit-less daughter. The dog kills the new rabbit, the daughter is upset, so she gets another new one.:(

I want to throttle that man. <:mad:>