Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Whoa Black Betty posted:

e1: That said, I hope we get batches of new characters in future DLC just for the helluvit (as opposed to 1 or 2 at a time, which everyone would then use :v: ). Some of the random Outfitter characters have neat names that make me wonder what their story is, like Tricky Pat Dempson :)

e2: Oh god, Rockstar should have made the final Legendary Mount a fuckin automobile that three friends could join you in as passengers. How cool would that be? Seems like an appropriate and fun reward for all that grinding too, you know? Gah! Does anybody have any stats on the mounts? I'd like to know what the particulars are between the Hungarian and the American, as well as the bulls and the buffaloes.

If there was going to be a legendary mount, it has to be a prototype Sherman Tank.

And Rockstar's future DLC might include costumes, and I insist on this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Whoa Black Betty posted:

e2: Oh god, Rockstar should have made the final Legendary Mount a fuckin automobile that three friends could join you in as passengers. How cool would that be? Seems like an appropriate and fun reward for all that grinding too, you know? Gah! Does anybody have any stats on the mounts? I'd like to know what the particulars are between the Hungarian and the American, as well as the bulls and the buffaloes.

The black horse is the fastest, the golden horse is balanced, and the white horse is slowest but has the most HP for falls and getting shot at

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
edit: wow read the rest of the thread before posting

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

muscles like this? posted:

Also when most people think poker they think Five Card Draw and not Texas Hold 'Em.

.... which doesn't make a lick of difference in the comprehension and ranking of the different hands. At all. And that was the main complaint people are having about poker, not the ins and out of how the betting works, which is the only thing that really changes in Hold'Em.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Because prior to 10 years ago, no one played poker but lowlifes, compulsive gamblers, and men getting away from their abrasive wives for the night.

... what?

Granted it was over 10 years ago (more like 20) but I learned how to play Poker when I was in Middle School, and while I would accede that mostly boys/guys would learn/know how to play at that age, by the time I got to college about 10 years ago, the average person I went to school with (but hey, this is in New York City, so maybe we're crazy what with our lowlives and compulsive gamblers) at least had a rough idea of how poker works, in the sense that they could at least figure out that 4 of a kind is better than 3 of a kind, and that's better than a pair. Which as I said is all the understanding you really need to actually win at poker in this game, for the most part.

So yeah... I dunno where you're going with that one.

Smoothrich posted:

The black horse is the fastest, the golden horse is balanced, and the white horse is slowest but has the most HP for falls and getting shot at

Maybe it's just me, but I think the Kentucky Saddler (gold horse) isn't so much balanced as it's the most agile horse. I had no problem with a lot of the twisty ridge paths on that thing, but I regularly had to slow down with the American Standardbred and the Hungarian Half-breed. Particular examples are that northern trail by the river in West Elizabeth that leads up to Cochinay and that path going up Nekoti Rock.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 7, 2010

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
This is probably a stupid question . . .
Every time I sign online and check my journal it says to complete Fort Mercer, then I move on to Tumbleweed. I have achieved lvl 3 Lawman (or whatever) but will it say Fort Mercer every time I sign on?

If any Xbox goons get a posse together tonight send and invite.

Kali11324 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 7, 2010

Cubish
Mar 12, 2006

close enough

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

If there was going to be a legendary mount, it has to be a prototype Sherman Tank.

And Rockstar's future DLC might include costumes, and I insist on this:

I second this, very very much. Only as long as they're doing their handshake/dance/hip thrust move thing during the game start countdown as opposed to just leaning up against a wall, smokin' or whatnots.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
Short fat hilarious mexican is the best mexican

GeneralNelson
Jun 19, 2009
I had to drive 50km to finally find the game in store, and the place I got it from had sold out 8 times in 12 days. Absurd.

I've been playing the game for about 10 hours and I'm having an absolute ball. The dialogue at some points is just hilarious. The poker game in Mexico got me actually laughing out loud, as well as basically anything to do with Nigel. Excellent game.

The bugs are a little frustrating, like when the horses of carts get stuck in the ground and the carts/carriages just bounce around. I find that shooting one horse will usually unstick them, but in the assault of Fort Mercer, you can't do that. A little frustrating, but far from game-breaking.

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems

Greedish posted:

Short fat hilarious mexican is the best mexican

I couldn't agree more.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It seems awfully goony that so many people are posting how they have no idea how poker works and had to flail their way through the minigames randomly. Just look up the rules, there's barely any combinations of cards.

The ranking of the hands are:

High card
Pair
Two pair
Three of a kind
Straight
Flush
Full House
Four of a kind
Straight flush
Royal flush

Having the same hand but higher cards makes you win. A typical tactic is to fold often unless you start with a high card (pref. an Ace) or a pair, or at least wait until the first 3 cards are shown to see what your hand could be. It is a very intuitive and fun game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What I love best about the Mexicans is they smack talk in Spanish. Now si ojala yo se mas espanol so I could comprendo que se dice.

Yeah, I need work.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 7, 2010

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Smoothrich posted:

It seems awfully goony that so many people are posting how they have no idea how poker works and had to flail their way through the minigames randomly. Just look up the rules, there's barely any combinations of cards.

The ranking of the hands are:

High card
Pair
Two pair
Three of a kind
Straight
Flush
Full House
Four of a kind
Straight flush
Royal flush

Having the same hand but higher cards makes you win. A typical tactic is to fold often unless you start with a high card (pref. an Ace) or a pair, or at least wait until the first 3 cards are shown to see what your hand could be. It is a very intuitive and fun game.

What I have trouble with is cheating in the Elegant suit. Even if I stay near the middle, it seems I always end up tipping off at least one guy.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

In Mexico, just played The Gates of Presidio. Kind of surprised to see tits AND hairy vagina. Rockstar, always pushing the envelope.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

In Mexico, just played The Gates of Presidio. Kind of surprised to see tits AND hairy vagina. Rockstar, always pushing the envelope.

Yes, when nudity is just sort of incidental instead of the point of the exchange, it just feels real instead of exploitative.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lotish posted:

What I have trouble with is cheating in the Elegant suit. Even if I stay near the middle, it seems I always end up tipping off at least one guy.

Once one person busts out, it's really dicey cheating on the deal, you just don't have enough time.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished the game.

*shuffles his Top Ten around to make room*

In the final scene , the duel with Edgar, I somehow managed to time it so that the sun was setting behind Jack's head, and in the cutscene which set up the duel, I looked like a goddamn avenging angel.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wow, this is the first game I bought for the PS3 (or any system) since GTA 4... last January. And the most fun I've had. Great gameplay, the design is nice, and the BEST soundtrack I've heard on a game. It would only be better if they actually played Ennio Morricone's music from the old Leone westerns.

Multiplayer is phenominally fun. Some bastard spent the good part of 20 minutes chasing me across Mexico to kill me.

I'm "egbertsouse" on PSN.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Sorry if this has been posted before but what constitutes a win in black jack? Do you have to wait until the other players bust out like in poker or do you have to double your money, I played for like 45 min going up and down and came close to doubling up to $500(started with 250) but got frustrated and left. Seems like since you're against the house Blackjack should be cash game where you can leave with your winnings.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Wang posted:

Sorry if this has been posted before but what constitutes a win in black jack? Do you have to wait until the other players bust out like in poker or do you have to double your money, I played for like 45 min going up and down and came close to doubling up to $500(started with 250) but got frustrated and left. Seems like since you're against the house Blackjack should be cash game where you can leave with your winnings.
Leaving with more than that you went in with counts as a win.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lotish posted:

Yes, when nudity is just sort of incidental instead of the point of the exchange, it just feels real instead of exploitative.

At the same time it's kinda sad that because it's an unattractive naked woman, no one cares, but if they made her look like Salma Hayek, it would be a big deal. Or maybe not. The media seems to be bored of video game controversy. Like Assassin's Creed 2 having a real pope as the final boss would've been a huge deal not too long ago.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Wang posted:

As far as the achievement goes, I know for a fact that as long as you walk away with more chips than you start with, you'll get the achievement. (I won my first hand and quit, and got the achievement.)

I'm fairly certain that you don't have to bust the other players to make a profit. You can just quit and you'll be credited according to your final chip amount.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

leidend posted:

Like Assassin's Creed 2 having a real pope as the final boss would've been a huge deal not too long ago.

And a literal whorenun.

Rowzdower
Feb 7, 2009
Could someone outline the endgame for me a little bit?

*Major Spoilers*

I just finished the mission "The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed." John just died and I'm now playing the game as Jack. Is there an alternate path I can take where John doesn't get killed? Or do you always end up playing as Jack in the end?

I'm sure this has been asked several times, but I'm scared to roll over other spoiler texts in fear of that it may spoil something a little further on.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Rowzdower posted:

*Major Spoilers*

I just finished the mission "The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed." John just died and I'm now playing the game as Jack. Is there an alternate path I can take where John doesn't get killed? Or do you always end up playing as Jack in the end?

I'm sure this has been asked several times, but I'm scared to roll over other spoiler texts in fear of that it may spoil something a little further on.

No there aren't alternate endings, but there is a new stranger mission at the train station in Blackwater. That is your "real" ending.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I did have one really odd moment when (ENDGAME) I faced off against Ross. I forgot that the guy I had on me was the High Powered Pistol. When I went to draw, I was amazed I could place eight shots. Five of them went for Ross's face, and the others went to his chest. When I drew, Ross actually ducked but the pistol still destroyed him before he had a chance to get a shot off. As Jack walked away and the credits rolled, I realized I had killed the motherfucker with the same gun he gave John back in Blackwater. I had to smile at that. Talk about irony, you rat bastard.

I really, REALLY wish I'd thought to do this!

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Haha I just finished the 'Love is the Opiate' stranger mission and freed Zhou. As soon as the cutscene ends, he takes 2 steps into a rattlesnake and dies.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I still have pretty far to go in the game, I just recently got to Mexico.

I did finish that god damned social club pikes basic challenge though, and holy poo poo the inferno bullets are hilarious.

I won a duel with them, and also found out that most of the time you shoot someone on horseback, they will get tied to the horse and cause it to spaz, making a nice little light happen for the street :)

I felt kinda bad for the California stranger mission, but the "I know you" mission (the first one) is just... odd.

Can't wait to see how this wraps up!

Edit - small tip. If you are going for the "Fighting round the world!" achievement, you might wanna be careful in Thieves Landing. I started an awesome fight there, and got shot by some rear end in a top hat with a shotgun about 2 punches into it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 7, 2010

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So how the gently caress does treasure hunting work? I have the first map at Hanging Rock i'm in the exact place that the map says i Need to bein, and I can;t do anything...what am I missing?

Also, that Stranger mission where you give the jesus freak woman the medicine? Well, I showed her how much God protects her! I hogtied her and set her on the traintracks

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ALFbrot posted:

I kind of dig the way you can switch your third-person shoulder orientation by hitting left and right on the d-pad.
Yeah but it sucks it doesn't actually make Marston switch which hand he uses to fire, just the view.

A legend like marston should be able to shoot equally well with either hand :colbert:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Has anyone tried using the Infinite Deadeye cheat on the mission where (MEGA ENDING SPOILERS) John dies.

I wonder if could do something to change the ending...

Also, anyone up for some Xbox Live RDR?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

That said, has Rockstar discounted any DLCs like Lost & Damned at all? It would be a shame since there's plenty of stuff to do. A lot of white spaces on those maps as well....

Edit: Plus Bonnie is given a lot of character just to be a one-off. Perhaps she has a story of her own in the West?

Don't think it's going to happen. Remember reading something from the developers about the GTA DLC not been worth it for the marketing and development that went into them.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

OrangeGuy posted:

Has anyone tried using the Infinite Deadeye cheat on the mission where (MEGA ENDING SPOILERS) John dies.

I wonder if could do something to change the ending...

Also, anyone up for some Xbox Live RDR?

That's interesting. Makes me want to test it just to see what happens. I bet the game crashes. I'll try it later tonight sometime, if by then someone hasn't already tried it.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Rowzdower posted:

*Major Spoilers*

I just got to this same point in the game as well. I'm wondering if this has to do with why people recommended making a backup save right around the time you first reach Blackwater? Is the reason just so you always have the option to start playing late in the game as John? Are there some things you can't do as Jack? Near as I could tell everything carried over. Maybe I have to get the "real" ending to see why the backup save might be important. I'm just worried I'll miss out on something accidentally.

Also, gently caress bears. I was attempting to knife one and when I had to have gotten it down to maybe one or two hits left another bear rolled up and they both took me down.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I think I've managed to break the poker AI. I just managed to clear the high stakes poker table in Blackwater first try by raising every hand like a complete dumbass. I won $1,250 off of that and I'm not entirely sure how I managed to do it because half the time I hadn't even looked at my cards before raising like hell. I'm the best at poker :downs:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Protip posted:

I just got to this same point in the game as well. I'm wondering if this has to do with why people recommended making a backup save right around the time you first reach Blackwater? Is the reason just so you always have the option to start playing late in the game as John? Are there some things you can't do as Jack? Near as I could tell everything carried over. Maybe I have to get the "real" ending to see why the backup save might be important. I'm just worried I'll miss out on something accidentally.

It's only because most people don't like playing as Jack, because he's so different from his awesome father and his voice acting isn't nearly as good as John's. The game continues exactly like it did before, but you just play as Jack.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

enigmahfc posted:

So how the gently caress does treasure hunting work? I have the first map at Hanging Rock i'm in the exact place that the map says i Need to bein, and I can;t do anything...what am I missing?

Look around. The first map is actually the toughest, since it's kind of deceiving. You are either in the wrong spot or you just need to explore.
If you really want to know where it is: there's a little pile of rocks (like a 1x1 foot pile of baseball sized rocks) behind a bush in a crevice formed by some massive boulders directly behind the hanging tree

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Whoever drew the treasure hunt maps had a totally psychotic superhuman mastery of scale and perspective. If you're in the right place for even one of the steps, every detail will be perfect. The hypothetical artist nailed the precise size and location of every tree and rock, and the topology of every dotted line seems nearly exact. Look at mountains or streams or whatever on the drawing, as they are perfectly rendered. The shape and orientation of roads can also be a clue if you look at the map.

Treasure hunter level 8 made me wish that parachutes and/or swimming were available.

Slappy Moose posted:

Except for the first map. That one was just completely loving wrong.

Okay, maybe. I didn't have to stare at the drawings until they stopped having obvious clues though, like the noose in the first one or the name of a river in the first mexico one.

moller fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 7, 2010

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

moller posted:

Whoever drew the treasure hunt maps had a totally psychotic superhuman mastery of scale and perspective.

Lol sorry, I should have clarified: the perspective sucked. It was obvious about the general area, but it showed the (FIRST TREASURE HUNT SPOILER)rocks being like 100 meters away from the tree when they were not so.
Perhaps I'm just picky with art, since I'm going to an art school, so I'm used to being critical as gently caress about all observational art I see.

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 7, 2010

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Slappy Moose posted:

I found it in a matter of seconds. It was two pictures of the same feature from different perspectives. It shows you exactly where the treasure is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

e: nevermind, you're talking about perspectives

(but the first one isn't that hard to understand?)

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 7, 2010

• Locked thread