Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Mastiff posted:

Just finished the game.

*shuffles his Top Ten around to make room*

In the final scene , the duel with Edgar, I somehow managed to time it so that the sun was setting behind Jack's head, and in the cutscene which set up the duel, I looked like a goddamn avenging angel.

I love this about the game so much, the fact that the weather is just however the weather is for scenes. In the final scene for me, it was pissing it down and thundering. I also (ending spoilers) ended up using the mauser pistol and emptying all 15 rounds into Edgar Ross' face, making his head look like a red cauliflower

I have a question about the ending, Is Edgar Ross in the lineup when John pushes open the barn doors? If so, what happens if you kill him?.

I also need to try (ending spoilers) Shooting Ross from a distance as Jack before I get too close and trigger the duel cutscene .

EDIT: Removed a couple of questions I found out reading the thread a bit more.

Millionth Edit: I keep thinking of things. What I like now is (ending again) I played an absolute good guy with John, trying to do the right thing all the time. I'm going to turn it upside loving down with Jack, as a young man who has learned that, no matter how hard you try, people will drag you down with them unless you shoot first.

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
When do you get the (not sure if this is spoilers) rosary? I played as a good guy the entire game but never got it.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Gazmachine posted:

I have a question about the ending, Is Edgar Ross in the lineup when John pushes open the barn doors? If so, what happens if you kill him?.

I think he is, and I think I shot him a bunch of times. Yet he was still alive in the cutscene that follows. It's ridiculously unimmersive for a game that attributes so much importance to immersion(so is the fact that in three years, nothing has changed and every stranger mission you've already started acts like Jack was the one who began them. I agree that the Edgar Ross fight gives some much needed catharsis to the ending but it comes at the price of one of the games biggest assets, its friggin immersion.)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

NeilPerry posted:

I think he is, and I think I shot him a bunch of times. Yet he was still alive in the cutscene that follows. It's ridiculously unimmersive for a game that attributes so much importance to immersion(so is the fact that in three years, nothing has changed and every stranger mission you've already started acts like Jack was the one who began them. I agree that the Edgar Ross fight gives some much needed catharsis to the ending but it comes at the price of one of the games biggest assets, its friggin immersion.)

The more I hear about this, the more I am glad I finished all the Stranger missions before tackling the final endgame stuff in West Elizabeth.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

So I came across something weird in multiplayer today. Some pubbie was repeatedly blowing himself up with dynamite in Armadillo while I was off loving around with one of the legendary hunt challenges. He eventually showed up and attacked me, as is standard with pubbie idiots. What was weird though was occasionally he would spawn and be completely invisible to me. I'd watch his icon approach me on the minimap, but he was nowhere to be found on my screen at all, not even his tag showing up. He actually ended up suicide bombing me in that particular instance. I had to swtich free roam sessions because you can't Dead Eye knife someone who isn't there :(

Is this some sort of glitch he stumbled upon and was abusing, or is my game royally loving up? I'm not sure if it's related, but while this craziness was going on, there were also NPCs on horseback just idling in the road instead of riding by like they're supposed to.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

NeilPerry posted:

I thought he was, and I thought I pumped him full of bullets and I was likewise surprised. However, upon replaying it it is not him and his agent buddy, just a few vanilla agents in suits peppered inbetween the soldiers.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

NeilPerry posted:

Spoilered block of text.

Which I will reply to with another spoilered block of text! Hooray! It's about the ending, if you haven't finished it.

Whilst the stranger missions thing is slightly jarring, I don't think it's a massive immersion ruining thing. It would have taken a lot of extra development time to make sure there was extra dialogue to make partly completed stranger missions make sense, having people say new poo poo depending on what stage of each stranger mission you were in if you came back as Jack. I suppose it's a bit odd that the one I'm in the middle of is collecting flowers for that old guy for his wife's anniversary, so he's been waiting for at least 3 years for someone who isn't John to come back with his flowers. Fair enough. It's no big deal though, is it?

If you want to talk inappropriately game-y moments, how about when (big spoiler) John is dead and we're looking at his and his wife's grave, with "Bury Me Not on the Lone Prarie" playing and then in the top left it suddenly pops up with "NEW ITEMS ARE AVAILABLE TO BUY FROM THE STORE!". Bah gawd, pa's dead and I'm real sad, but HEY BY JAHOSEPHAT LOOKY HERE! NEW ITEMS AT THE STORE! YEEEEHAW!.

I don't understand why you think the final duel ruins the game's immersion, though. Please explain.

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008
Ok, I think i'm at the end i am not sure, because the credits haven't rolled yet but, what do I do after John dies I am Jack now are there other missions or unfinshined business I'm suppose to take care of or what?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Smashlampjaw posted:

Ok, I think i'm at the end i am not sure, because the credits haven't rolled yet but, what do I do after John dies I am Jack now are there other missions or unfinshined business I'm suppose to take care of or what?

You are Jack, your father was killed by the government. Your mum's dead, you're fairly upset. What would you do?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Another Tale of the West: I was hunting south of Blackwater doing some hunting for fun and profit (I have 15k, so mainly fun and cougars :argh:). As I was trotting around in the open plains, some guy is running from 4 wolves. Being full of DeadEye juice I, Marston the Pistolero shoot them down quickly and efficiently. The guy tosses me some spare change and shuffles on his way. As I'm skinning the 2nd wolf I killed, I hear his screams. By the time I finish skinning, I turn around to the sound and see that 4 more wolves had killed the guy about 30 feet away from where I had just saved his rear end.

Sometimes there's no escaping fate. Sort of the theme of the game, if you think about it, really.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gazmachine posted:

I also need to try (ending spoilers) Shooting Ross from a distance as Jack before I get too close and trigger the duel cutscene .

(ENDGAME SPOILERS)
There are a couple of story characters that hang out in the world that you aren't able to shoot and he might be one of them. I know in Mexico I wasn't allowed to shoot Rickets. Although you can get around this by chucking thrown weapons like fire bottles or dynamite.

Musclebabe
Jun 24, 2008

I want your slide trombone in my brass section
Anybody know what the percentage value of stranger missions is? I have a few bounties left (.1%) and want to hit 100% with the last stranger I have to do. I would name it, but this thread is already loaded with spoiler tags....

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

moller posted:

Whoever drew the treasure hunt maps had a totally psychotic superhuman mastery of scale and perspective. If you're in the right place for even one of the steps, every detail will be perfect. The hypothetical artist nailed the precise size and location of every tree and rock, and the topology of every dotted line seems nearly exact.
It is hardly "superhuman" or "psychotic" when you have access to the digital assets and can easily take screenshots to draw over the top of. Occam's Razor here.

edit: VVV Oh, haha, oops.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 7, 2010

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Obsurveyor posted:

It is hardly "superhuman" or "psychotic" when you have access to the digital assets and can easily take screenshots to draw over the top of. Occam's Razor here.

I think he means the theoretical in game dude who drew them.

Alabama Blacksnake
Aug 9, 2005

But it ain't too goddamned beaucoup.

NeilPerry posted:

More (minor) stranger mission spoilers: I distinctly remember one stranger mission I started as John and finished as Jack where there was a brief back-and-forth about how Jack wasn't the same one who started the mission. I think it was the guy building the glider in Mexico.

Not as well done as you might hope, but at least the game acknowledged it, which is more that I expected.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Gazmachine posted:

Whilst the stranger missions thing is slightly jarring, I don't think it's a massive immersion ruining thing. It would have taken a lot of extra development time to make sure there was extra dialogue to make partly completed stranger missions make sense, having people say new poo poo depending on what stage of each stranger mission you were in if you came back as Jack. I suppose it's a bit odd that the one I'm in the middle of is collecting flowers for that old guy for his wife's anniversary, so he's been waiting for at least 3 years for someone who isn't John to come back with his flowers. Fair enough. It's no big deal though, is it?

Many more people would be pissed off if the developers decided to break the stranger missions altogether (what real 'immersion' would have required) when you fast forward three years. People bitching about this are just here to bitch about stuff.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Is it cool enough where we can stop the spoilers now? It's similar to having a Star Wars thread where every post is something like the following:

quote:

Ok, I just kissed my sister and now my dad is walking around in this big black suit trying to get me to join the dark side. Anyone know how to get to the moon planet thing with the furry dudes?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Endgame nonsense: I got fed up with playing as Jack after hunting in bear country and Bullet the Wonder Horse died. Managed to hold out on foot against four bears but when that no-horse timer ran out, it was Go Time. Jack whistled and in comes a new Bullet the Wonder Horse, who runs right up to Jack's side so he can jump on and make a getaway. And what does Jack say to his faithful, loyal steed as he spurs his father's beloved Bullet on to freedom? "C'mon, work, you old nag!"

Fellow's got to respect his horse, that's all. I wish you could feed it an apple when walking with it. Here you go, old friend.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

Is it cool enough where we can stop the spoilers now? It's similar to having a Star Wars thread where every post is something like the following:

Personally I would hold off on the spoiling of the game for a little while longer. The game hasn't even been out a month yet in the US, and there are quite a few people (myself included) who haven't finished it.

Besides, we spoiler things in threads for games that are pretty old. Better to be safe than sorry.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

One thing I love about hunting: the look on the bear that has taken half a Mauser clip to the face. Didn't think about that before charging me, did you, Mr. Bear?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Personally I would hold off on the spoiling of the game for a little while longer. The game hasn't even been out a month yet in the US, and there are quite a few people (myself included) who haven't finished it.

It's a common courtesy thing for people who haven't done the videogame equivalent of speedreeding through a new novel within a week of its release. It's a big, long game, and some people are just now buying it and others are taking their sweet time playing through the main story because there's a huge, richly detailed world to explore. A game that takes over 20 hours to beat even if you do nothing but the main story missions is something that some people won't, or can't, play through in one sitting.

transient
Apr 7, 2005

OrangeGuy posted:

When do you get the (not sure if this is spoilers) rosary? I played as a good guy the entire game but never got it.

It's a random event. It happened to me once around halfway through but there was an unfortunate horse accident. Didn't happen again until after I had finished the main story and was finishing up bounties.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

It's a common courtesy thing for people who haven't done the videogame equivalent of speedreeding through a new novel within a week of its release.
Yeah, some people have jobs and a social life. I bought the game on release day and didn't get into Mexico until the end of the last week.

KungfooMF
Feb 21, 2002

transient posted:

It's a random event. It happened to me once around halfway through but there was an unfortunate horse accident. Didn't happen again until after I had finished the main story and was finishing up bounties.

Last night I had a nun stop me. I was curious what it could be about since I had already been gifted long ago. She gave me money, like $54. Gee, thanks sister, but you need this more than me. I have $6K and nothing to spend it on.

DJJustice
Sep 7, 2006

UNTOPPSABLE
Silly question - is there a strategy for finding rabbits to shoot for Rank 2 of the Sharpshooter Challenge? I think I may have missed my chance to do it easily when I was clearing out the vegetable garden for Bonny, so now I'm kind of just wandering the plains between missions shooting rabbits if I'm lucky enough to see them.

Musclebabe
Jun 24, 2008

DJJustice posted:

Silly question - is there a strategy for finding rabbits to shoot for Rank 2 of the Sharpshooter Challenge? I think I may have missed my chance to do it easily when I was clearing out the vegetable garden for Bonny, so now I'm kind of just wandering the plains between missions shooting rabbits if I'm lucky enough to see them.

Any expanse of flat land with grass, really. It's kind of a 'don't look and you'll find them' thing. Do the early challenges as you roll around; focusing on the early ones make the game drag.

And in response to my earlier question, stranger missions count for .5%. The reward for 100% is very,very good.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

DJJustice posted:

There are rabbits absolutely loving everywhere. It's like R* San Diego modeled their mating habits. It sounds like maybe you're still pretty early in the story. If so, I'd suggest focusing more on the story missions for a while until more of the world opens up for you. The ambient missions are a lot more fun after you start accumulating weapons and territory and character enhancements, etc.

DJJustice
Sep 7, 2006

UNTOPPSABLE

Beelzebozo posted:

There are rabbits absolutely loving everywhere. It's like R* San Diego modeled their mating habits. It sounds like maybe you're still pretty early in the story. If so, I'd suggest focusing more on the story missions for a while until more of the world opens up for you. The ambient missions are a lot more fun after you start accumulating weapons and territory and character enhancements, etc.

Thanks, both of you.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Just go about your business and every time you spot a rabbit just pop it. That's what I did.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yes, the rabbits often run across the road, so it's best to just wait. After that, the sharpshooter challenges become a lot easier to complete, so don't worry if it's taking too long.

During my playthrough, the most annoying thing was seeing a rabbit, riding passed it, turning around, and not seeing it anymore. So, if you see a rabbit, quickly go into deadeye to make sure that doesn't happen.

Fudgement Day
Mar 30, 2007
Keep On Walkin In The Free World
Quick question, I completed the game to 100% last night and right when I did it I got the message saying "there's new weapons at the local gunsmith, go spend your money blah blah blah". I went to every gunsmith in the game and nobody had anything new. The reward for completing 100% is the bureau uniform, so I thought maybe I had to wear that in the Blackwater gunsmith, but that didn't do anything. Anybody know what this is about? Just the game loving with me?

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
I'm currently in the process of trying to get the "Friends in High Places" achievements, but it's taking forever as I have full fame and that decreases the bounty put on your head.

Easiest way I've found was climbing onto the roof of the Armadillo inn, shoot people until they run out, ride out of town (just a short bit is enough) and then camp->travel back to town to respawn the community. I love going into the gun shop, buying bullets that will be used to kill everyone in town, including the horses and dogs.

I created a separate save so I can go back to full honor when I'm done (I guess I could have used the bandanna, but whatever) and being a dumbass, I saved over my main save halfway through it with about +-0 honor. Oh well, I've already 100% the game, so I don't really care - maybe I'll get the black steed thingy now.

Overall, I'm running out of achievements I'll be able to get easily. The multiplayer ones will be a bitch, especially the ones that require coordination with other people and the "be the top player x games in a row" because gently caress that.

e:

Fudgement Day posted:

Quick question, I completed the game to 100% last night and right when I did it I got the message saying "there's new weapons at the local gunsmith, go spend your money blah blah blah". I went to every gunsmith in the game and nobody had anything new. The reward for completing 100% is the bureau uniform, so I thought maybe I had to wear that in the Blackwater gunsmith, but that didn't do anything. Anybody know what this is about? Just the game loving with me?

This is a remnant from the GTA games. That pops up from time to time even if there's nothing new - it's more of a reminder, I guess. It popping up doesn't mean it became available that very second.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Just like in GTA:SA, there are rumors of Bigfoot in RDR. There are also rumors of a werewolf (both in Tall Trees, of course).

However, I can see it actually happening in this case, but only because of the sheer number of glitches and not because it has actually been programmed into the game.

There are plenty of YouTube videos showing animal AI being used with human models - such as donkey-lady, cougar-man, bird-people. There are also videos showing animals switching AI - such as deer-bird. There are even videos showing human AI using animal models - like gunslinger dog.

I wouldn't be surprised if people actually have run into cougar AI using the wolf model, or human AI using the bear model, or any number of other possible glitches.

Fudgement Day
Mar 30, 2007
Keep On Walkin In The Free World

blixa posted:

I'm currently in the process of trying to get the "Friends in High Places" achievements, but it's taking forever as I have full fame and that decreases the bounty put on your head.

Easiest way I've found was climbing onto the roof of the Armadillo inn, shoot people until they run out, ride out of town (just a short bit is enough) and then camp->travel back to town to respawn the community. I love going into the gun shop, buying bullets that will be used to kill everyone in town, including the horses and dogs.

e:

This is a remnant from the GTA games. That pops up from time to time even if there's nothing new - it's more of a reminder, I guess. It popping up doesn't mean it became available that very second.

lovely, I was hoping for something crazy. I was also holding my breath the entire game for some Back to the Future reference(s)

I got the Friends in High Places over the weekend, it wasn't too bad. I basically did this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_4OUm8BoVw For safety it's good to have an extra horse deed and just activate it whenever so the game autosaves, including your bounty.

edit: I actually did it on a different rooftop that didn't have that respawn glitch thing, though I wish I had done it this way, seems like it would've gone a lot faster.

Fudgement Day fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 7, 2010

Musclebabe
Jun 24, 2008

Fudgement Day posted:

Wear that uniform and then throw dynamite into a saloon. Your desire for new guns will dissipate quickly.

Whoa Black Betty
Nov 29, 2008
I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to run through a second playthrough as Bad John (ENDING SPOILER -->)or continue this one as Bad Jack. Starting over would be fun, because I didn't bother 100%'ing the first one, I just enjoyed the game and accomplished whatever challenges and outfits I wanted to at a leisurely pace as Pope John. Also, the Deadly Assassin Outfit unlock was broken for me the first time through, so I'm considering it as a sort of treat for a second playthrough. Bad John can also use the Golden Guns that I got from another goon, so that's neat. And I wanna stick people up and shoot up the law and always have to look over my shoulder for someone hungry to collect on my bounty. Hm. I suppose I made my decision!

:clint:

Have any of you experienced the bandits attempting to hijack a stagecoach, where you can "choose" which side you want to assist? I experienced it for the first time yesterday on a random cheat-induced screwing-around session out on the US-Mexico border. Cool.

Also, have any of you played SP on Expert Aim? I'm thinking of doing this too, but wanted to get an idea of how tough it makes some of the horseback/coach-based shootouts. I'm looking forward to trying it though, because I think it could make hunting and fighting a bit more intense and "personal" in it's involvement.

Edit: \/\/ I dun' been called out :aaa:

Whoa Black Betty fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 7, 2010

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Alabama Blacksnake posted:

More (minor) stranger mission spoilers: I distinctly remember one stranger mission I started as John and finished as Jack where there was a brief back-and-forth about how Jack wasn't the same one who started the mission. I think it was the guy building the glider in Mexico.

Not as well done as you might hope, but at least the game acknowledged it, which is more that I expected.

This is true. I also just did the stranger mission where (pretty big spoilers) You speak to the bar owner in Blackwater and he says "ain't you the guy who killed Bill Williamson?" to which Jack explains he has him confused with someone else.

EDIT

Whoa Black Betty posted:

Also, have any of you played SP on Expert Aim? I'm thinking of doing this too, but wanted to get an idea of how tough it makes some of the horseback/coach-based shootouts. I'm looking forward to trying it though, because I think it could make hunting and fighting a bit more intense and "personal" in it's involvement.

I ain't done it nothin' BUT expert aim, boy. Are you yella or sumpin'?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Has anyone ever run into the one guy that wanted to reward you for whatever? He says something along the lines of "Help yourself to whatever supplies I have", even though you meet him in the street. I accept, and he walks away, with me getting no items. I follow him, and he leads me to nowhere. This has happened twice now (and I still even haven't gotten the rosary! :argh:), so I wonder if I'm missing something.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Whoa Black Betty posted:

Also, have any of you played SP on Expert Aim?
That's the only way to play it, bro. If you haven't been using Expert Aim since the beginning, you should probably just return the game right now. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TypohoidTimmy
Sep 25, 2003
FYI: Just for shits and giggles, make sure you buy a paper after the 3 years have past. You will find out a few things about some of your associates you ran around with.

• Locked thread