Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Whoa Black Betty posted:

Also, have any of you played SP on Expert Aim? I'm thinking of doing this too, but wanted to get an idea of how tough it makes some of the horseback/coach-based shootouts. I'm looking forward to trying it though, because I think it could make hunting and fighting a bit more intense and "personal" in it's involvement.

I turned it on for that achievement and then forgot to turn it back off until near the end. I didn't notice that it wasn't auto-aiming because I was killing literally everything with dead-eye head shots. Even before you get the satchel you can carry 15 dead-eye refills at once (5 each snake oil, moonshine, chewing tuhbaccy), which is waaaay more than enough to complete any mission. The idea of popping in and out of the sights quickly to auto-aim kill everybody center of mass utterly escaped me during this game. I guess that's why you start getting guns with better power, huh? With dead-eye head shots the default guns will carry you easily through the end (not that this game is remotely challenging at the best of times). If any of you listen to the Giant Bombcast, this is the concept at the heart of Jeff's "War on Head Shots" and this game proves his point nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Gazmachine posted:

This is true. I also just did the stranger mission where (pretty big spoilers) You speak to the bar owner in Blackwater and he says "ain't you the guy who killed Bill Williamson?" to which Jack explains he has him confused with someone else.

John says that too

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Whoa Black Betty posted:

Also, have any of you played SP on Expert Aim? I'm thinking of doing this too, but wanted to get an idea of how tough it makes some of the horseback/coach-based shootouts. I'm looking forward to trying it though, because I think it could make hunting and fighting a bit more intense and "personal" in it's involvement.
People play on anything but Expert in single-player? :confused: Everyone was bitching about the auto-aim in GTA4 and said they would only be playing Expert in the pre-release threads. I have only played single player with Expert. I have no idea what a lock on in the game even looks like.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
Joining the "I thought the first treasure map was showing a rock outcropping near Hanging Rock" club.

While searching for that, I broke a wild horse out of boredom, which a half-naked lady stole on my way back to Armadillo. Naturally I whistled for my horse, which just summoned the old one. :mad:

Jax 57 or Jist Bgiu
Jul 19, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I cannot stop playing this game. The bears are the best part - oh, and the California stranger guy (what the hell is wrong with him?).

I have some questions, though. Can anyone give me tips on finding an American Standardbred? I checked the wiki, but I cannot find one for the life of me.

Also, is there an easy way to "find all locations in single player" for the trophy / achievement? I feel like I've been everywhere on the map. Is there a simple way to check my progress?

VVV Wow, thank you. It seems like I have indeed visited many of the ones it says I haven't but I'll go for a ride anyway.

E: visited the two closest places and got the trophy. Thanks!

Jax 57 or Jist Bgiu fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 7, 2010

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Jax 57 or Jist Bgiu posted:

Also, is there an easy way to "find all locations in single player" for the trophy / achievement? I feel like I've been everywhere on the map. Is there a simple way to check my progress?
http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr/checklist.html

This is an official 100% map and checklist. It has a couple bugs right now (most notably the Stranger list), but Rockstar is releasing a patch soon that should add that stuff to this site.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 7, 2010

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sign up on the Rockstar Social Club, you'll find a checklist of what you need for 100% and also a nifty map which shows all the named locations and whether or not you've visited them.

e: beaten like a lady pushed down the stairs in Armadillo's saloon

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 7, 2010

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I have some questions, though. Can anyone give me tips on finding an American Standardbred? I checked the wiki, but I cannot find one for the life of me.

The American Standardbreds are around the Great Plains area - I got mine while out doing the herb collection out there. Prairie somethings and Golden Currants? Anyway, run around there long enough and you'll eventually find yourself a black horse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Morter posted:

Has anyone ever run into the one guy that wanted to reward you for whatever? He says something along the lines of "Help yourself to whatever supplies I have", even though you meet him in the street. I accept, and he walks away, with me getting no items. I follow him, and he leads me to nowhere. This has happened twice now (and I still even haven't gotten the rosary! :argh:), so I wonder if I'm missing something.

Sounds like he's bugged because that's what someone says when you rescue them from bandits.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Just like in GTA:SA, there are rumors of Bigfoot in RDR. There are also rumors of a werewolf (both in Tall Trees, of course).

However, I can see it actually happening in this case, but only because of the sheer number of glitches and not because it has actually been programmed into the game.

Upcoming DLC: Skinwalkers appear in Tall Trees, harass/kidnap/kill Blackwater citizens. :v:

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Gazmachine posted:

I don't understand why you think the final duel ruins the game's immersion, though. Please explain.

Nono, you got me wrong. The thing is, in order to allow the final duel they had to make Jack grow up and as a result they had to create a time gap. And of course to justify the fact you play as Jack just to bring a closure to the game(the final duel) you can also tackle any stranger mission and challenge you haven't finished yet. It's this last part that annoys me. I would've prefered that after the game they set you on a linear path with Jack maybe even outside the map you can explore as John. That way you don't have all these weird things with the strangers. Now don't get me wrong, it's not THAT big of a deal, but my point is that it feels as if they created the opportunity to play as Jack after a time skip to RETAIN the immersion(since all Rockstar games allow you to continue playing and to allow you to attain some closure and catharsis) yet at the same time it breaks a lot of what it tries to accomplish because 1)Nothing on the map has changed in three years 2)There is very little character development for post-timeskip Jack, everything on that part is implied or copied from John 3)Stranger missions that were started but never finished are somehow still available to Jack. The duel itself is brilliant, sure. But I feel it could have been done in a slightly different way.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

NeilPerry posted:

Nono, you got me wrong. The thing is, in order to allow the final duel they had to make Jack grow up and as a result they had to create a time gap. And of course to justify the fact you play as Jack just to bring a closure to the game(the final duel) you can also tackle any stranger mission and challenge you haven't finished yet. It's this last part that annoys me. I would've prefered that after the game they set you on a linear path with Jack maybe even outside the map you can explore as John. That way you don't have all these weird things with the strangers. Now don't get me wrong, it's not THAT big of a deal, but my point is that it feels as if they created the opportunity to play as Jack after a time skip to RETAIN the immersion(since all Rockstar games allow you to continue playing and to allow you to attain some closure and catharsis) yet at the same time it breaks a lot of what it tries to accomplish because 1)Nothing on the map has changed in three years 2)There is very little character development for post-timeskip Jack, everything on that part is implied or copied from John 3)Stranger missions that were started but never finished are somehow still available to Jack. The duel itself is brilliant, sure. But I feel it could have been done in a slightly different way.

I dunno, maybe I just did it the "right" way, but I (Endgame) completed all the Stranger tasks before hitting the last few story missions, and when I got to playing as Jack, I rode from the ranch over to Blackwater just to poke around, saw the new Stranger task, got the mission, made a beeline straight to every point on that journey, and finished with the duel. It basically worked out exactly as what you described as an ideal ending, and I thought it was great.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think I'm one of the few that doesn't get the Jack hate.

The way I see it...

The voice can get annoying at times, but I think the emphasis is intended to show his immaturity and eagerness to be something he really isn't (a bad rear end gunslinger). John was a man in which the world was moving on without. He is trying to move on, but can't for external reasons out of his control. With Jack, the world has already moved past. The difference is, John recognized this. Jack ignores it, either willfully or is ignorant of it.

The immaturity part comes to play with the way he talks to his horse for example: 'WORK YOU drat NAG', and whatnot. Seemed John always treated his horse with respect and (almost) love.

It's like he's (Jack) always trying to prove himself TO himself. John was, in many ways, very restrained. Jack carries a sense of false bravado.

I don't dislike him for it, it's just how I approach it when I'm playing as Jack.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Any tips on sharpshooter 10? I guess the 22-shot repeater and deadeye, is there anything else to it? If I leave him to idle and put the gun away, does that reset it?

TypohoidTimmy
Sep 25, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

Any tips on sharpshooter 10? I guess the 22-shot repeater and deadeye, is there anything else to it? If I leave him to idle and put the gun away, does that reset it?

Yes if he puts the gun away, it will reset. Best bet is to hold down the left trigger and deadeye as you go. Make sure to have some moonshine/tobacco.

I did mine on the last mission invading the final camp since it was easier to not have all the baddies concentrating fire on me....but if you free roam, you can do one of the hideouts with a friend or alone and keep working it I suppose.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Just hang around West Elizabeth. They are one of those animals you can't find by looking, just either roam around hunting or doing missions and you'll come across one. They are fairly rare, but I found one pretty quickly. Sometimes the wiki is stupid, though, so I recommend checking all of W.E.except the snowy (west/north) places, since I don't recall ever seeing one there. Plains and lightly forested areas have them.

HOLY poo poo! On the mission where you have to kill crows on a grain silo, and there are like 500 of them, if you use that homing-dynamite trick you can loving destroy ALL of them in like 2 throws. It's amazing, I just did it and smoking feathery-corpses rained from the sky.

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 7, 2010

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Getting a horse to faceplant into a cactus at full speed never gets old.

Never.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

the California stranger guy (what the hell is wrong with him?).

Postpartum depression?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Slappy Moose posted:

if you use that homing-dynamite trick
What is this?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Works with throwing knives and fire bottles, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DZzsJ-svGw

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Philip J Fry posted:

Works with throwing knives and fire bottles, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DZzsJ-svGw
I love doing it with bottles because it's like throwing a fireball or something. You can't do it with bottles or dynamite in multiplayer, but Deadeye knives in multiplayer are brutal. You can snipe people at 300+ yards with them.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Amazing. This game has the best bugs and glitches.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

NeilPerry posted:

Nono, you got me wrong.

I see your point on some of those things actually. I love the ending but there is a slight emptiness afterwards. Then again, it could be argued that this lack of any missions for Jack afterwards gives that feeling of pointlessness that someone feels after committing a murderous revenge.

Not even sure if I agree with that myself, but it seems to fit.

Oh and new badass thing to do - blind fire a throwing knife round a corner into some government rear end in a top hat's face.

Musclebabe
Jun 24, 2008

I want your slide trombone in my brass section

BizarroAzrael posted:

Go to the Saloon in thieves landing. Use the Mauser or the Evans and get behind the bar. Point the gun at someone and deadeye once people draw on you. Only release LT or whatever the PS3 equivalent is once you heave hit the inventory button to heal/refill deadeye. Each guy has two guns on them. Killing them doesn't hurt the disarm count, and deadeye reloads don't count either. I say Thieve's as there's no law there. SAVE BEFORE YOU START as there might be a few honor losses due to misses, or wear the bandanna.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

I just did Fort Mercer with the mauser, pretty much running right up to the first few guys to make sure i could shoot their guns/hands. since you always start deadeye with a full mag that doesn't count as a reload it's really easy.

Lorekeep
May 24, 2010
Using Deadeye felt like cheating, but it's good to know it doesn't affect anything.

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I didn't see it.

Is it just as valid to go good/bad? Do you get the same amount of content either way, or is it like most games where bad ends up with like half the content?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Haha, I was sitting around a campfire and someone was telling a story. The other guy gets his turn, and he says, "Does this story have TITTIES? I looooove titties"

And then the conversation goes on like no one said anything.

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn

a japanese pop icon posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I didn't see it.

Is it just as valid to go good/bad? Do you get the same amount of content either way, or is it like most games where bad ends up with like half the content?

The story piece is completely linear, I'm almost done with Blackwater and the only moral decision I've had to make was whether to kill a guy personally or let some Mexicans kill him (big difference right).

I've killed just about every person I've encountered in the wilderness and run up many bounties, but because I've done the story missions I'm still way positive on honor/fame. Great game but it is a little funny how little choice there is.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

coinstarpatrick posted:

The story piece is completely linear, I'm almost done with Blackwater and the only moral decision I've had to make was whether to kill a guy personally or let some Mexicans kill him (big difference right).

I've killed just about every person I've encountered in the wilderness and run up many bounties, but because I've done the story missions I'm still way positive on honor/fame. Great game but it is a little funny how little choice there is.

This reminds me, what happens when you kill Javier and some of the other guys you can capture in stead of capturing them?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Davincie posted:

This reminds me, what happens when you kill Javier and some of the other guys you can capture in stead of capturing them?

In Javier's case you just throw his dead body in the cell. I couldn't catch up to the fucker to keep him alive.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

a japanese pop icon posted:

You get some perks for being super good. Like being able to do anything but murder with witnesses. I picked a fight with five guys at the same time in Mexico, led them outside and shot all of them without any consequence because I was so "good."

But other than that and random NPC comments I don't think it affects anything.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Do horses have random stats? I caught this really nice pale cream coloured one in Mexico and it runs a lot faster than the others I've had, but seems to have less stamina.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Houdini posted:

Do horses have random stats? I caught this really nice pale cream coloured one in Mexico and it runs a lot faster than the others I've had, but seems to have less stamina.
There are different horses and some are better than others. If you check out deeds in the stores, you can see that some have one star or two stars. Most of the horses you find in the wild will be one or two star horses (meaning, they SUCK).

There are three top-tier horses. Once you break them, you can buy the deeds for them and have them for your very own (they have three stars)! :D

1) Kentucky Saddler, cream-colored, found in lower US, the first one you can break, might be the one you have now.
2) Hungarian Half-breed, all white, found in Mexico.
3) American Standardbred, all black, found in the Tall Trees.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 8, 2010

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Man, sometimes the bugs are funny and sometimes they are annoying. I hate how when you are forced to kill someone in a duel as part of a mission, the developers put a sphere about the size of a basketball around their hand. If you intersect anywhere in that sphere, your shots do not count(and you probably get killed). This just happened to me when I was going for a stylish kill. At least I understand dueling, really, really well now.

Also, the lack of polish can sometimes shine through the great gameplay. Like when I am riding along with someone, listening to their chatter, half the time we reach the destination and we have not finished the conversation and I want to hear the rest of it! Even the testers must have gotten sick of these long rear end rides. I just had a couple missions' cutscenes end with subtitles and nothing coming out of Marston's mouth. In addition, I had a bunch of bad guys spawn during a mission in the default animation pose. After the mission, there were horses milling around with the guys riding standing on their saddles in the same pose.

And the couple of people saying that Williamson is just forgotten about in Mexico are just dead wrong. Marston includes him nearly every time he asks about Javier. It totally sucks when you finally have Bill and you wait more than about 5 seconds to "Finish Bill" like the game prompts, and loving human being Reyes shoots both guys! Okay, so I was trying to lasso Williamson instead but this is a sandbox. Then Marston says absolutely nothing about this happening, just moves on like he was the one who pulled the trigger.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
Is it possible to change costumes during the late part of the game, when you are wearing the rancher outfit by default?

I'd like to go around and not look like I just-finished-eating-breakfast-and-am-now-going-to-my-day-job when I'm robbing people and shooting bears.

Or do I have to be (ENDGAME)Jack to use poo poo like the Bureau suit and whatever, because I loving hate playing as Jack

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Slappy Moose posted:

Is it possible to change costumes during the late part of the game, when you are wearing the rancher outfit by default?
Not right away, but you eventually can again.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Crows Turn Off posted:

Not right away, but you eventually can again.

If I'm at the part RIGHT before the last mission, do I just have to wander around for a few days?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

leidend posted:

In Javier's case you just throw his dead body in the cell. I couldn't catch up to the fucker to keep him alive.
Call your horse, put a bullet in his foot. Easy. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Slappy Moose posted:

If I'm at the part RIGHT before the last mission, do I just have to wander around for a few days?

You gotta do the missions to get out of that terrible costume.

Then it gets worse.

Hope you made a save before the homesteading poo poo!

• Locked thread