Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

spidoman posted:

It's been years, get over it.
It's been three years since the army and police force murdered your father and uncle, leaving you to care for your mother alone. Now she's gone too. Get over it man :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
John Marston is either supremely confident, pretty stupid, or both. Right at the beginning he strolls up to Fort Mercer all by himself (getting shot for his trouble) but how incredibly obvious was it that De Santa was about to betray him in 'Cowards Die Many Times'? 'No really, the men you are looking for are inside this building. Go on in.' I was expecting to get locked in and have the building set on fire but really as soon as Allende said 'Take care of Senor Marston' the forecast went to Heavy Screwjob with Scattered Backstabbing and a chance of Douchebaggery. It was a little frustrating watching Marston stroll into the incredibly obvious trap, but I reckon that's life on the digital frontier.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hal Gill username posted:

John Marston is either supremely confident, pretty stupid, or both. Right at the beginning he strolls up to Fort Mercer all by himself (getting shot for his trouble) but how incredibly obvious was it that De Santa was about to betray him in 'Cowards Die Many Times'? 'No really, the men you are looking for are inside this building. Go on in.' I was expecting to get locked in and have the building set on fire but really as soon as Allende said 'Take care of Senor Marston' the forecast went to Heavy Screwjob with Scattered Backstabbing and a chance of Douchebaggery. It was a little frustrating watching Marston stroll into the incredibly obvious trap, but I reckon that's life on the digital frontier.

I did that mission this evening, and saw it coming so far off, but just had to sit there while he acted like a loving retard. FFS John :ughh:

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I did that mission this evening, and saw it coming so far off, but just had to sit there while he acted like a loving retard. FFS John :ughh:

Yeah, but by the time you get to that mission you've already watched him eagerly agree to help four or five different half-assed con men dupe him into errand after errand under the promise of information that they obviously don't have any access to. That honestly made the story in this game rather painful for me. I mean, I know they have to drag it out and have some artificial mission variety and stuff, but this is why people who don't play games refuse to take them seriously as a story-telling medium.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

It's been three years since the army and police force murdered your father and uncle, leaving you to care for your mother alone. Now she's gone too. Get over it man :rolleyes:

I guess the main problem is It may have only been a couple years, but since the story has ended, you'll never change, you'll just be the whiny kid forever. Unless they are just setting up a sequel, which I guess I'd be okay with. Although I think Mafia II is filling that spot...

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Poppycock: I killed Uriah, and got $206 dollars from him. Where did the other 794 go? And was it okay to kill him? It didn't feel like that was the end of his story.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Houdini posted:

Poppycock: I killed Uriah, and got $206 dollars from him. Where did the other 794 go? And was it okay to kill him? It didn't feel like that was the end of his story.

I got all my money back from him. And no, that's the end of it.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Houdini posted:

You got gipped, I got the full amount.

And yeah, that's the end.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Beelzebozo posted:

Yeah, but by the time you get to that mission you've already watched him eagerly agree to help four or five different half-assed con men dupe him into errand after errand under the promise of information that they obviously don't have any access to. That honestly made the story in this game rather painful for me. I mean, I know they have to drag it out and have some artificial mission variety and stuff, but this is why people who don't play games refuse to take them seriously as a story-telling medium.

Although you could argue that if these are the only leads he has, he doesn't have a lot of choice. Also, I would say that one thing it does do is help you share Marston's frustration at going on these wild goose chases. It's always extremely hard to conceal or construct believable conceits to make a series of missions feel less game-y, and I feel that Rockstar do this better than most.

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 8, 2010

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Hey You Pifuckyou! posted:

Guys, I found something really weird.

Try shooting a random guy (only tried this in SP) in the back with a rifle/repeater/sniper rifle/pistol. Target just a bit above where his belt is. Watch as the guy scrambles back up.

I think that's maybe because their health is regenerating between the time you shoot them, and they get back up? NPCs have regenerating health as well. Try double tapping the "invincible spot."

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I think that's maybe because their health is regenerating between the time you shoot them, and they get back up? NPCs have regenerating health as well. Try double tapping the "invincible spot."

I fooled around a bit with this more, and even with regenerating NPCs, I still say this is a miracle spot. If you shoot a guy in the leg or the arm, they'll be crippled, and if you shoot that limb again after waiting a bit they'll most likely just die. Shooting near the chest without the guy dying and then shooting the same spot again after he's gotten up killed them too.

Not so with the lower back. You can shoot the guy however many times, and they'll always get back up if you get just the right place above the belt. It was really tricky to get more than one Dead Eye shot to land in the exact same place, but I finally managed it just now and not even three high-powered pistol bullets in the back with Dead Eye (after at least 10 Buffalo rifle shots, five Carcano rounds and several pistol shots) killed the guy. Every single bullet mentioned went in the same hole.

Feeling a bit sadistic here :gonk:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

IRQ posted:

How the hell do you shoot people's hats off? I just keep killing them, no matter how high I aim.

Try aiming while sober.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Aim for the top of the hat or the brim. Use deadeye to aim more precisely, but don't rely on the RB/R1 marking system.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Hal Gill username posted:

It was a little frustrating watching Marston stroll into the incredibly obvious trap, but I reckon that's life on the digital frontier.

The fact that he walked into it didn't bother me so much. What bothered me was that the whole way over, he's basically saying 'This is goddamn weird. Why would they be in a church? Your gonna stab me in the back. You and your boss are goddamn cowards and I hate you.'

Then they arrive, and De Santa says 'Here we are, go inside of this building with only one exit that my men have surrounded.' If he hadn't been saying that he was expecting a trap thirty seconds ago, I'd give the writers more leeway.
But he was. So gently caress em'. It's one of two places in the game where I cocked a brow at the screen and said 'Really?'

The other being that shooting Mario right off the bat isn't an acceptable solution to Eva in Peril. Because that was surely -my- first instinct.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Black Wombat posted:

The fact that he walked into it didn't bother me so much. What bothered me was that the whole way over, he's basically saying 'This is goddamn weird. Why would they be in a church? Your gonna stab me in the back. You and your boss are goddamn cowards and I hate you.'

Then they arrive, and De Santa says 'Here we are, go inside of this building with only one exit that my men have surrounded.' If he hadn't been saying that he was expecting a trap thirty seconds ago, I'd give the writers more leeway.
But he was. So gently caress em'. It's one of two places in the game where I cocked a brow at the screen and said 'Really?'

The other being that shooting Mario right off the bat isn't an acceptable solution to Eva in Peril. Because that was surely -my- first instinct.

When that happened, *I* knew it was a trap. And if you watch Johns body movements and such, you'll see *he* knows its a trap but doesn't have any other way around it. I figure its one of those things where you know what is happening, you can't really do anything about it RIGHT THEN, but you have to hope you'll have an opportunity to escape at some point. John is no fool, he knows when it's time to raise hell and when it's time to play it cool.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

OrangeGuy posted:

By the way, when should I make an extra save like someone said? I just unlocked Blackwater, so I should be coming close, right?

I haven't finished reading the thread yet but, if you play any game without at least 2-3 running saves you are just begging for one of them to get corrupted.

Questions that I haven't seen answered yet. Are there any items that I should save for later? i.e. antlers, meat or flowers of any sort for a mission. Or just sell the lot when I get them?
Also am I screwing up any missions by wandering into towns and killing the lot, I'm having too much fun just wandering around looking for trouble to get in to.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

OgNar posted:

I haven't finished reading the thread yet but, if you play any game without at least 2-3 running saves you are just begging for one of them to get corrupted.

Questions that I haven't seen answered yet. Are there any items that I should save for later? i.e. antlers, meat or flowers of any sort for a mission. Or just sell the lot when I get them?
Also am I screwing up any missions by wandering into towns and killing the lot, I'm having too much fun just wandering around looking for trouble to get in to.

Three of all three type of flower you can find in New Austin, and you might want to hold onto a total of 20 bird feathers (any type, doesn't have to be all the same kind, just a total of 20 across all types)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

OgNar posted:

Depends on where you are and whether or not you like the idea of traveling around the map collecting things again for certain Stranger missions. You might want to save whatever flowers you've gathered thus far, especially red sage, also twenty or so feathers (of any bird), and if for some reason you've already found and hunted some beavers, don't sell their furs either yet.

e;f;b

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

OgNar posted:

There's at least 1 stranger mission where you need 3x of each of the flowers in the first section of the game (feverfew, red sage, desert sage), and another where you need a bunch of feathers, red sage, and beaver fur. Aside from those, I don't recall you needing anything else in a major manner.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

EDIT: NVM quote has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Is there any other place besides the north side of the river (the one above MacFarlane's Ranch) to find beaver to hunt? I haven't opened that area yet so I can't get to the spot, and I'm wondering if there's any other way to get the beaver pelts for the ornithopter guy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Welp. I just 100% completed the game. Now what? What kind of post-completion fuckery can I engage in? RPG dynamite'ing random townsfolk in my Bureau outfit? Trying to glitch the game out?

What?

Oh, and I did get my rosary!

...At 99.5% completion. :argh:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Awww, I actually sold all my feathers before I thought that I might need them. Guess I'll just have to go on a bird killing spree.
Thanks

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

OrangeGuy posted:

Welp. I just 100% completed the game. Now what? What kind of post-completion fuckery can I engage in? RPG dynamite'ing random townsfolk in my Bureau outfit? Trying to glitch the game out?

What?

Oh, and I did get my rosary!

...At 99.5% completion. :argh:

Hunting is a great great pastime. At least in SP because it gets you something. Post-game turned Red Dead Redemption into

J. Marston's Deer/Bear/Cougar/Wolf Hunter :clint:

RadRadish
Dec 19, 2004

My hat is AWESOME!
drat.

I just finished the game, and I totally hosed up the dead eye sequence with all the army dudes and agents outside the barn. I accidentally hit the wrong button and only capped one of those assholes instead of using the whole clip. I'm sorry, John! You weren't supposed to go down that way!

Aside from that, I was pretty impressed with the writing in this game. I got a little tired of the errands after a while, but I guess that's what makes it a long-rear end video game rather than a cowboy movie.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I kept having trouble with one mission where I am given a wagonload of explosives to carefully deliver. I couldn't bring myself to not shoot it. I failed that mission like 15 times because I saw the heaps of TNT and I couldn't resist just making them go boom. Sometimes at a gallop, sometimes before reaching the cart, sometimes by hurling explosives at it. If you're on the cart when it explodes, sometimes you get to watch yourself spiraling 70 feet in the air as it fades to the "DEAD" screen.

Eventually I mustered the self control to finish the mission. But I'll be back.

Black Wombat posted:

That one bugged me too. Over and over you run across a guy in town who is beating up on a woman. Rope him or kill him, and you're the hero. But this instance looks just like the others at first, but if you so much as pull a pistol, you fail.

It's the glitchiest console game I have ever played, but luckily most of the bugs are amusing. I'd recommend grabbing at least one horse deed ASAP so you can use it to do a quick-save at nearly any time. Can be very helpful when you're caught in a game-stopping bug.

I went to the hotel in Blackwater and got completely drunk. I tripped once while trying to walk upstairs, and suddenly I was perfectly sober. For about 30 seconds while I walked up to my room. Then I suddenly slammed into the ground like someone had dropped a truck on me. When I stood up, John was stuck in the default model position, standing straight up with his arms down at 45 degree angles. Completely frozen except his eyes, which kept looking around. It was creepy as hell. Had to reload (after a horse-deed-quicksave) to get free.

In Thieves' Landing I ran to the aid of a woman who was being attacked by a knife-wielding man. I was too slow getting there, and watched him stab her about seven times. When I finally shot him, the girl stood up and walked off like nothing had happened. Wow, they sure don't make ladies like that anymore.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

RadRadish posted:

drat.

I just finished the game, and I totally hosed up the dead eye sequence with all the army dudes and agents outside the barn. I accidentally hit the wrong button and only capped one of those assholes instead of using the whole clip. I'm sorry, John! You weren't supposed to go down that way!

Haha I did this too. Felt like a right bitch about it.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Morter posted:

Hunting is a great great pastime. At least in SP because it gets you something. Post-game turned Red Dead Redemption into

J. Marston's Manhunter :clint:

Fixed.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Earwicker posted:

Try aiming while sober.

Ahem. :smug:

Beat you to it.

Also, I'm taking a break from RDR to work on necessary business. But when I get back, I plan on having fun with you guys on multiplayer.

(This means you, Xbox 360 owners! :argh:)

RadRadish
Dec 19, 2004

My hat is AWESOME!

Yodzilla posted:

Haha I did this too. Felt like a right bitch about it.

I felt a little better after putting about eight bullets into Ross's face, though.

Also, that guy in all of the "I Know You" stranger missions is the devil , right?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

OgNar posted:

Are there any items that I should save for later?
3 Wild Feverfew
3 Desert Sage
13 Red Sage
5 Beaver Skin
20 Bird Feather (any type)

You can and should sell off everything else off (assuming you're not in the middle of a challenge involving them). Hunting is fun and profitable!

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
God dammit. I finally beat the game, and as the credits are rolling, it freezes up. This has happened six times in a row now and I'm super pissed. Thank god the final encounter is all of like 30 seconds if you skip the cutscene, but for gently caress's sake I want to get past the credits and save, at least. What's going on? Is my bluray drive shot?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

dropkickpikachu posted:

God dammit. I finally beat the game, and as the credits are rolling, it freezes up. This has happened six times in a row now and I'm super pissed. Thank god the final encounter is all of like 30 seconds if you skip the cutscene, but for gently caress's sake I want to get past the credits and save, at least. What's going on? Is my bluray drive shot?

Have you cleaned the bottom of the Blu-ray? Blurays get really finicky if there's even a small fingerprint on the bottom of them, had one the size of like a dime on my copy of Dragon Age and it kept it from installing. So try cleaning it with a kleenex and see if it improves.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Policenaut posted:

Have you cleaned the bottom of the Blu-ray? Blurays get really finicky if there's even a small fingerprint on the bottom of them, had one the size of like a dime on my copy of Dragon Age and it kept it from installing. So try cleaning it with a kleenex and see if it improves.

It literally has been either in the jewel case or in the PS3, not a single thing has touched the surface of the disc in between. It was freezing up earlier today when I was doing the last couple missions leading up to the epilogue as well, once near the bear cave in tall trees, and once again during a cutscene in the barn on the homestead. I'm gonna be really sad if my drive is shot or something. :(

Johnny Deformed
Jun 11, 2005

Because fact into doubt... won't go.
Well I'm enjoying the game so far, can someone tell me how far I am through the story mode if I've just gotten to the point where you get reunited with your wife and son??

I can't help but feel like I'm missing stuff though, I've played a few of the gambling mini games and a few 'strangers' missions, but I won't lose the chance to play any of that stuff if I just go straight through the storyline first right?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Johnny Deformed posted:

Well I'm enjoying the game so far, can someone tell me how far I am through the story mode if I've just gotten to the point where you get reunited with your wife and son??

I can't help but feel like I'm missing stuff though, I've played a few of the gambling mini games and a few 'strangers' missions, but I won't lose the chance to play any of that stuff if I just go straight through the storyline first right?

You're close to the end. I don't know if you can do it at this point, but the only "Missable" stranger quest is "I Know You". It will end when the game says "You will not see this man again". After the endgame, you cannot complete that quest, but it does not count towards 100% anyway, so you'll be fine.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

My game just glitched through the first half of a mission and I apparently missed a pretty major cutscene.

In Escalera clearing the town of the military with Reyes, this mission cuts directly to a duel with some guy I've never seen before. During the course of the mission I find out Luisa is dead. Can anyone help me piece together what I missed?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

synthy posted:

My game just glitched through the first half of a mission and I apparently missed a pretty major cutscene.

In Escalera clearing the town of the military with Reyes, this mission cuts directly to a duel with some guy I've never seen before. During the course of the mission I find out Luisa is dead. Can anyone help me piece together what I missed?

You approach the town square to find Reyes captured by three soldiers. You tell them to let him go and they start saying mean things to you (I don't remember what but I'm sure the word "gringo" came up). Suddenly, Luisa appears and charges at the soldiers with a knife, only to be gunned down by them. John shoots two of the soldiers and the third challenges you to a duel.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

You approach the town square to find Reyes captured by three soldiers. You tell them to let him go and they start saying mean things to you (I don't remember what but I'm sure the word "gringo" came up). Suddenly, Luisa appears and charges at the soldiers with a knife, only to be gunned down by them. John shoots two of the soldiers and the third challenges you to a duel.

I had the same glitch, this scene makes a whole lot more sense now. I didn't know WHAT was happening, thanks for explaining it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorekeep
May 24, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

It's just like, no matter how good you try to be, it's futile.

Why I think you've nailed it on the head one of the major themes of the story.

• Locked thread