Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, I'm rushing myself because I basically have like 2 weeks and then I probably won't have any time until the Fall. If I have to wait though, then I'll deal. I just need to remind myself that trying to rush through a decision like this is a great way to end up regretting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, I'm rushing myself because I basically have like 2 weeks and then I probably won't have any time until the Fall. If I have to wait though, then I'll deal. I just need to remind myself that trying to rush through a decision like this is a great way to end up regretting it.

There's that, and there's also that bikes don't like sitting...as much as it's going to suck to lose out on 2 weeks of riding if the right deal doesn't come up, it's better to do that then end up with a bunch of money dumped in a bike that breaks or you don't like.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

SlightlyMadman posted:

I live in Baltimore, so I think prices are pretty normal, although probably a bit inflated at the moment because of the weather. There do seem to be very few smaller bikes going up though, compared to the number of HDs and the like. One of the most common bikes I see come up at great prices is the SV650, which I'd say was the perfect bike if it weren't for the fact that they make me a bit nervous as a good friend wrecked one last year and ended up unable to walk for a couple months. I'm also a fairly conservative driver, so I'm not sure that much power would be anything but a liability to me.
I had the chance to ride WildWanderer's SV650 the other night when he came through Denver.
1. They're a lot smaller than I thought they'd be.
2. Holy hell, it was fun. All the controls were right where they needed to be, it sounded loving *awesome*, and while I definitely had the feeling that it had a ton (more) power (than my KLR650 and SR250), it didn't feel unmanageable, given what I'd learned in the MSF.

You are not your buddy. Don't rule it out.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, I'm not a superstitious person or anything, but it would just feel weird. His was yellow though, so as long as I avoid that color it should help.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

You could be riding any bike and be unable to walk for a couple weeks after a wreck... I purchased my SV as my first bike post-MSF (after tooling around on others, GIXXER, GS500 etc) and it's not bad at all. At first it's gunna feel like mach 10,000 when you're doing 60 but you get used to it pretty quick. I've yet to turn the throttle past 3/4 and I've put almost 1100 miles on it.

It's a great bike, and if you can control yourself and your wrist twisties you should have no problem.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

SlightlyMadman posted:

I know they get a lot of poo poo on here, but has anybody actually owned a Buell Blast?

I rode one for a weekend doing my MSF course through the Harley dealer's Rider's Edge program. So while I never owned one, I've got the better part of 16 hours of experience riding one.

And I've gotta pile onto what everyone else is saying; Avoid the Blast, no matter what the price. It's a lousy, lousy bike, and aside from one being given to you for absolutely free, there's no legitimate reason to own one when there are so many other bikes on the market that are so much better. You might spend a bit more buying a Ninja 250/500 or an SV650 to start with, but they are always in demand and as long as you don't wreck it, you'll be able to sell them for most of what you paid. You'll be hard-pressed to sell the Blast at any price.

Specific complaints about the Blast: HORRIBLE vibration, lousy/scary brakes, and many have reported the clutch to be excessively grabby (although it never struck me as being that bad).

You might think that you want a little bit of engine pulse in your life, but I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that my hands were going numb after just a couple hours on the Blast. It feels like you're holding onto a jackhammer at idle, and it's only marginally better at any other engine speed.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

You could be riding any bike and be unable to walk for a couple weeks after a wreck... I purchased my SV as my first bike post-MSF (after tooling around on others, GIXXER, GS500 etc) and it's not bad at all. At first it's gunna feel like mach 10,000 when you're doing 60 but you get used to it pretty quick. I've yet to turn the throttle past 3/4 and I've put almost 1100 miles on it.

It's a great bike, and if you can control yourself and your wrist twisties you should have no problem.

I wish I had your restraint, pretty sure that I went WOT within the first ten miles of my sv650.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

NipplesTheCat posted:

I wish I had your restraint, pretty sure that I went WOT within the first ten miles of my sv650.

I may have done the same with another goon's, too, not sure. I gave it full wrist, the rest of the sensation took over and I don't recall feeling the throttle stop, let alone anything but my heart.

This is coming from someone that rides a 50hp 4cyle bike daily, 70hp in 2cyl was like riding an explosion in comparison.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
So, I recently found out my uncle is planning on selling his 1983 CB1100F for $2500. At the same time, I found out my cousin is planning on selling his dirtbikes and picking up his first streetbike (he's interested in dual-sports and supermotos primarily, but he's also rather fond of my ninja 250).

So, in short, would a 1980s vintage superbike be an acceptable second bike? And should I sell my ninja 250 to get it?

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I have a '80 CB750F and it's a lot of fun, but I've only got 72hp. The 1100 has 108hp @ 8500rpm, so be careful. The 1100F was also only available for one year in the US, so it's pretty rare.

https://www.cb1100f.net has all you need to know, parts commonality with CB750/CB750F/CB900C/CB900K/CB900F/CB1100C/CB1100F is like 95% as far as the engine is concerned so spare parts aren't a problem. The F model fairings and side covers are more rare so you'll want to be careful with them.

They're really sexy bikes, poke around the site, and if it's in really good shape then $2500 is an ok price.

Edit: For the love of god and all that is holy if it has the stock exhaust on it and you feel like getting a louder sound, buy a cheap used 4-1 from some schmuck like me who spent tons of money sourcing a stock 4-2 pipe to replace the 4-1 with no mufflers that the previous owner probably spent $400 on and now I'm selling it for $50 because there seems to be no market. Stock pipes in good shape are nearly impossible to find. I paid $85 shipping on top of the purchase price to get one sent from Florida to California hard to find.

If it has some poo poo aftermarket pipe on it then you're probably poo poo out of luck unless you can find somebody parting out a CB900F and snag the stock pipes or you pay $400 for a pair of new stock spec pipes.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 5, 2010

Nihilanth
Jan 23, 2007
I posted my 1988 rm125 on craiglist recently and I had someone offer this 1976 Honda CB360t as a trade. I thought I would post here and get some outside opinions.

How fair does that seem as a trade? How reliable are these bikes? Common problems I should ask about? How much money should I plan on investing into it, given its age? Also, I don't really know anything about air cooled bikes, anything I should know about air cooling?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Nihilanth posted:

I posted my 1988 rm125 on craiglist recently and I had someone offer this 1976 Honda CB360t as a trade. I thought I would post here and get some outside opinions.

How fair does that seem as a trade? How reliable are these bikes? Common problems I should ask about? How much money should I plan on investing into it, given its age? Also, I don't really know anything about air cooled bikes, anything I should know about air cooling?
How much did you list the RM125 for?

fudsaf
Jan 29, 2010
Hey guys, just found this deal literally 15 minutes ago. I posted in this thread about a page back asking for some help (which Z3n in particular was of much help!) but the first deal fell through.

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/mcy/1780193095.html

I'm a new rider. I have pretty much 0 experience right now, but I'm signed up for my MSF on June 18. I'm pretty set on a Ninja 250 as my first bike from everything I've read.

How's this deal look? The price seems reasonable to me, but I don't want to get screwed out of anything. Also, anything in specific I should look for? I've heard it's good to ask for them to keep the bike cool and start it up for me in person -- should I see if they will do that for me? Being a 2007, I'm not expecting many problems.

Nihilanth
Jan 23, 2007

Jabs posted:

How much did you list the RM125 for?

$1000 or best offer. I don't know if it's worth 1000 but that's about how much money I put into it, and I figured I would start high.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
fudsaf, that looks good.

I'd see if you could get him down to closer to 2k, but it's a good deal. Check the age and tread on the front tire, check the slack on the chain between the sprockets from a few different places (roll the bike around or get it on the centerstand), it should be even all the way around. Check when the valves were adjusted, he should have maintenance records for it. Check the oil color.

It should start from cold with a little choke and then after a couple of minutes idle just fine on it's own. A stock 250 is pretty cold blooded.

fudsaf
Jan 29, 2010

Z3n posted:

fudsaf, that looks good.

I'd see if you could get him down to closer to 2k, but it's a good deal. Check the age and tread on the front tire, check the slack on the chain between the sprockets from a few different places (roll the bike around or get it on the centerstand), it should be even all the way around. Check when the valves were adjusted, he should have maintenance records for it. Check the oil color.

It should start from cold with a little choke and then after a couple of minutes idle just fine on it's own. A stock 250 is pretty cold blooded.

Z3n, you truly are the best. I'll do all this if I hear back from him. And yeah -- I was thinking of trying to negotiate down to $2k. I'll let you know if everything works out! :)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

fudsaf posted:

Also, anything in specific I should look for?

You need to go ahead and get acquainted with the best Ninja 250 resource on the net. Specifically, this page is a good place to start.

fudsaf
Jan 29, 2010

frozenphil posted:

You need to go ahead and get acquainted with the best Ninja 250 resource on the net. Specifically, this page is a good place to start.

Thanks. I do have one question, though: 11k miles seems like a lot for a 2007 model. Would this be a problem for me, at all? I'm going to use it as a negotiating point if I get a response from him to talk him down in price. Would it be wiser to spend $200-400 more for a 2007 with ~3,000 miles on it, instead?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

fudsaf posted:

Thanks. I do have one question, though: 11k miles seems like a lot for a 2007 model. Would this be a problem for me, at all? I'm going to use it as a negotiating point if I get a response from him to talk him down in price. Would it be wiser to spend $200-400 more for a 2007 with ~3,000 miles on it, instead?

I was just thinking it seems kind of low for an '07 model that the seller claims to ride all year. I purchased my '09 model new and it has 6500 miles on it, and I've only been riding it daily since March.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

fudsaf posted:

A 2007 that's only got 3000 miles on it has been sitting, unused and probably unloved, for most of the past +3 years. If the owner didn't prep it properly, the long periods of inactivity will have lead to various unpleasant things like varnished gas clogging the carbs, dead or weak batteries, and quite possibly the degradation of the oil, brake fluid, radiator fluid, tires and so on.

The guy who actually rides his, on the other hand probably won't have those problems, and if he's been keeping up with basic maintenance and hasn't been racing or otherwise abusing it, his bike will still be in near-factory condition with only 11k miles on the clock.

sectoidman fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 8, 2010

fudsaf
Jan 29, 2010

sectoidman posted:

A 2007 that's only got 3000 miles on it has been sitting, unused and probably unloved, for most of the past +3 years. If the owner didn't prep it properly, the long periods of inactivity will have lead to various unpleasant things like varnished gas clogging the carbs, dead or weak batteries, and quite possibly the degradation of the oil, brake fluid, radiator fluid, tires and so on.

The guy who actually rides his, on the other hand probably won't have those problems, and if he's been keeping up with basic maintenance and hasn't been racing or otherwise abusing it, his bike will still be in near-factory condition with only 11k miles on the clock.

Perfect! This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. You guys are really a huge help to a newb like myself! Now here's to hoping the guy from the ad replies. I'm hoping to talk him down to $2k. If all goes well, I'll have a bike soon, and my MSF will be done in less than two weeks. Ooooh snap.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

fudsaf posted:

Thanks. I do have one question, though: 11k miles seems like a lot for a 2007 model.

My '06 has 26k on it :colbert:

If it's in good condition and you follow the service schedule, you should get some miles out of it.

lordofokra
Aug 6, 2005

approach light speed and break apart
I'm in the market to get my first bike. I want a newer sport bike that I won't kill myself on, but I won't outgrow too quickly. I have a full set of gear on the way, my PA MSF scheduled in early July, and I'll have about $3000 to put towards a bike after I complete the MSF.

I'm mainly looking at getting a used SV650. I was wondering if I should specifically look at the FI 03+ models, or is the previous generation fine as well?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I just emailed this guy for more pics and info:
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1772565310.html

What do you guys think, a little overpriced? Kelly Blue Book says $2385 for that model, although it does have less mileage than average (but still enough that he's probably been riding it regularly).

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

lordofokra posted:

I'm in the market to get my first bike. I want a newer sport bike that I won't kill myself on, but I won't outgrow too quickly

You can always sell a bike if you want something different (you will never outgrow a bike).
Both generations of SV are fine. The carbed SVs can make more power, while the injected SVs don't require the warm up and other carb specific things. Really, it comes down to what frame style you like the most, in my opinion, as the fuel delivery method isn't really a big factor.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

lordofokra posted:

I'm in the market to get my first bike. I want a newer sport bike that I won't kill myself on, but I won't outgrow too quickly. I have a full set of gear on the way, my PA MSF scheduled in early July, and I'll have about $3000 to put towards a bike after I complete the MSF.

I'm mainly looking at getting a used SV650. I was wondering if I should specifically look at the FI 03+ models, or is the previous generation fine as well?

Good choice with the SV, as far as fuel injected or not I wouldn't worry about it. I've got a 99 with 40k on it (12k that I did) and I have never had to mess with the carbs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

lordofokra posted:

I personally prefer the first gens. The 2nd gens actually make slightly more power (more aggressive cams), but the first gens have a better built engine that takes to mods better. The carbs on an SV are pretty much rock solid, even after sitting for ages. I also prefer the seating position and ergos of the first gen.

SlightlyMadman posted:

I just emailed this guy for more pics and info:
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1772565310.html

What do you guys think, a little overpriced? Kelly Blue Book says $2385 for that model, although it does have less mileage than average (but still enough that he's probably been riding it regularly).

Yeah, a little overpriced. I'd try to talk him down to 2k.

lordofokra
Aug 6, 2005

approach light speed and break apart
Alright thanks everyone, it'll be a lot easier to pick up a nice first generation with my budget anyway.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Z3n posted:

Yeah, a little overpriced. I'd try to talk him down to 2k.

Are any of the mods he mentions (fender eliminator, integrated tail light, vapor gauge, and clip on handlebars) expensive and/or useful?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

Are any of the mods he mentions (fender eliminator, integrated tail light, vapor gauge, and clip on handlebars) expensive and/or useful?

No, no, no, and no.

Most likely that he crashed it at some point, but he could have replaced it for cosmetic reasons. I prefer handlebars on streetbikes, they have a much less aggressive setup and are more comfortable and easy to toss around.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Z3n posted:

No, no, no, and no.

Most likely that he crashed it at some point, but he could have replaced it for cosmetic reasons. I prefer handlebars on streetbikes, they have a much less aggressive setup and are more comfortable and easy to toss around.

Cool, I'm assuming he crashed it because he claims it was "knocked over in the driveway" but I don't really care because that means it's already broken in for when I most likely put it down myself at some point. I will now commence with operation "lowball the poo poo out of him." Thanks!

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

No, no, no, and no.

I've put a bunch of miles on a couple different bar setups:

Cruiser-style bars on a Yamaha Maxim
Low clip-ons on a Kawasaki ZX7-R
Cafe bars on a Honda CM250
"Normal" handlebars on a Kawasaki Ninja 650R
High clip-ons on a Honda CBR600F2

I think my favorite set-up for the street would be the clip-ons mounted above my triple tree on the CBR. It lets me tuck down if I want to, ride fairly upright if I want to, and is still easy to do slow-speed crap as well as high-speed cornering. That said, I've always been a sport-oriented rider and even with cruiser bars I was constantly trying to tuck in more.

Easily the most uncomfortable setup was the Maxim's cruiser bars. I swapped those fuckers out for superbike bars almost immediately. Terrible control, made my wrists hurt, and forced you sit stock upright and take that wind right in the chest, all day long.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

Cool, I'm assuming he crashed it because he claims it was "knocked over in the driveway" but I don't really care because that means it's already broken in for when I most likely put it down myself at some point. I will now commence with operation "lowball the poo poo out of him." Thanks!

No one on craigslist has ever wrecked their bike, it's always the previous owner. If they do admit to wrecking the bike then it is always just a driveway tip-over.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

frozenphil posted:

No one on craigslist has ever wrecked their bike, it's always the previous owner. If they do admit to wrecking the bike then it is always just a driveway tip-over.

Right, and if they actually have only tipped it once in the driveway, then it's "never been dropped!"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I've put a bunch of miles on a couple different bar setups:

Cruiser-style bars on a Yamaha Maxim
Low clip-ons on a Kawasaki ZX7-R
Cafe bars on a Honda CM250
"Normal" handlebars on a Kawasaki Ninja 650R
High clip-ons on a Honda CBR600F2

I think my favorite set-up for the street would be the clip-ons mounted above my triple tree on the CBR. It lets me tuck down if I want to, ride fairly upright if I want to, and is still easy to do slow-speed crap as well as high-speed cornering. That said, I've always been a sport-oriented rider and even with cruiser bars I was constantly trying to tuck in more.

Easily the most uncomfortable setup was the Maxim's cruiser bars. I swapped those fuckers out for superbike bars almost immediately. Terrible control, made my wrists hurt, and forced you sit stock upright and take that wind right in the chest, all day long.

My favorite is the bolt upright, supermoto/adv touring type seating position. Bonus points for being able to see over all the cars around you. The wind doesn't really bother me much any more.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

All but once when one of my bikes has been down someone else has been riding it. One time was totally me.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006

SlightlyMadman posted:

Right, and if they actually have only tipped it once in the driveway, then it's "never been dropped!"

Extrapolating from this, if they actually admit that they had a 'minor crash at parking-lot speed', it has a better than even chance of having been run over by a truck or wheelie'd into a solid object at high speed.

Furthermore, 'it just needs a new battery' is code for either 'I starved the engine of oil while I was ripping a sick mile-long wheelie and now it needs a top-end rebuild' or 'this bike hasn't seen daylight since 1978', depending on what sort of bike the seller is attempting to pawn off on you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

With clip-ons and a Vapor gauge, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was an S he converted to naked after a crash.

If you're willing to take a little bit of a trip, timb is selling his 2001:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3313785

I'd take a nice seat and SS lines over clip-ons any day.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Alright, I just got back from meeting the seller and riding this bike:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1778456297.html

It looks great, surprisingly good for a '91, and ran quite well. It was in good enough shape that I thought I shouldn't lowball him too much. I asked him if he'd take $1700, and he agreed in principle, and also said he'd include the magnetic saddle bag and extra battery as well.

Are there any glaring problems with this bike ('91 Suzuki Bandit, 15k miles, in case it goes down)? It doesn't look like it was produced for too long, so I'm slightly worried about the availability of spare parts. Does anyone know of issues that should stop me from buying it?

This would be my first bike, and I'll mainly be using it for summer riding around the city and commuting on the freeway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If it runs well, then it's an awesome sort of oddball bike. Good starter but yes, parts availability can be kind of a bitch.