Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I love how the controls are exactly the same as the first game on the PS2, even on the 360. I just picked this up yesterday and right away was right back into it. I thought it was funny when the first guy you duel got 6 shots straight into his face before he drew his gun. And every guy since then. I love the Clint Eastwood westerns and apparently so do the guys who made this game since I've played out many scenes from them already. Might have to try this multiplayer soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

loving cougars. I want my Buffalo Rifle! :argh:

General Dire
Apr 24, 2008
Anyone got any multiplayer tips? I just keep dying...

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
I finally 100%'d the single-player last night. In case anybody's on the fence about going for this and wondering how long it takes, I will say that it ended up taking me 96 hours, 42 minutes. It could certainly be done faster using more quick travel than I used, but I didn't spend any of that time just loving around shooting crows or playing cards beyond what was required to complete the game. So your mileage may vary, but I think it's safe to say it takes a long loving time.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Oh hey I added RedxDeadxGoons last night. Name is:

Max Goat

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
For people having trouble knifing bears, use the Evans Repeater. Dead Eye it once in the face, then pull out your knife and stab it once to kill it. If you wait till the bear is charging at you, his momentum will keep him from running away.

golem_ii
Dec 22, 2004

I found a Hungarian half-breed ages ago when I first got to Mexico just randomly running about on a road. I took it and kept him as my horse all the time, until I did the mission for Zhou. I couldn't be bothered trying to find another one so I just thought I would give him the one I had and buy a deed later - but after I gave him the horse and whistled for another one, I got the Hungarian one back. Weird.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Beelzebozo posted:

I finally 100%'d the single-player last night. In case anybody's on the fence about going for this and wondering how long it takes, I will say that it ended up taking me 96 hours, 42 minutes. It could certainly be done faster using more quick travel than I used, but I didn't spend any of that time just loving around shooting crows or playing cards beyond what was required to complete the game. So your mileage may vary, but I think it's safe to say it takes a long loving time.

How is this possible? I barely used fast travel, and I 100%'d it in 36 hours, and I'm fairly sure i left it on for a few hours at one point.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

golem_ii posted:

I found a Hungarian half-breed ages ago when I first got to Mexico just randomly running about on a road. I took it and kept him as my horse all the time, until I did the mission for Zhou. I couldn't be bothered trying to find another one so I just thought I would give him the one I had and buy a deed later - but after I gave him the horse and whistled for another one, I got the Hungarian one back. Weird.

That horse is awesome. I got mine to jump over the train. :clint:

And it's a pain how every animal or plant totally vanishes off the map when you actually need them and go out looking for them. :arghfist:

Bobnoxious
Aug 19, 2004
Thread Killer
Oh sure, I spend the entire game getting mauled to death by cougars, but now that I actually want to find one they've apparently become extinct.

Edit: Beaten (sort of)

Bobnoxious fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 9, 2010

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

loving cougars. I want my Buffalo Rifle! :argh:

Bobnoxious posted:

Oh sure, I spend the entire game getting mauled to death by cougars, but now that I actually want to find one they've apparently become extinct.
If you're going for Master Hunter, Level 5, "Knife 2 cougars," it is really quite easy.

Go up near Theives' Landing. Right outside TL is Stillwater Creek. In Stillwater Creek, there is a V where the train tracks break away. Go to the direction that breaks left. Plant some bait, then run up the ramp starting to head over the water. No animals will run up those train tracks so you're free to shoot the cougars in the rear end, then run down and swipe 'em.

Takes like 5 minutes.

Beelzebozo posted:

Yeah, I'm at 80% right now and I know for a fact it's not going to take me 96 hours to get the Redeemed achievement. Maybe 40 hours total. What the hell, man?

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 9, 2010

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Fonzarelli posted:

How is this possible? I barely used fast travel, and I 100%'d it in 36 hours, and I'm fairly sure i left it on for a few hours at one point.

Whoa, seriously? Are we talking about the same 100% here? Do you have the "Redeemed" achievement/trophy or do you mean finished 100% of the story missions? Cripes maybe I fell asleep with it running or something and just don't remember.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Crows Turn Off posted:

Go up near Theives' Landing. Right outside TL is Stillwater Creek. In Stillwater Creek, there is a V where the train tracks break away. Go to the direction that breaks left. Plant some bait, then run up the ramp starting to head over the water. No animals will run up those train tracks so you're free to shoot the cougars in the rear end, then run down and swipe 'em.

Takes like 5 minutes.

Don't know if the AI went wrong, but I had no problem just walking up to them outside the Marsden ranch and shanking them after some chasing. Might get scared after the first bit of damage.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just managed it. None of that nancy AI exploit nonsense. Just dismounted, rolled to dodge the initial attack and gave them a face full of knife. :clint:

Finding the bastards was the issue I had.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

skoolmunkee posted:

The metatag is a fake username created/managed by (usually) one person, not sure who is managing it here. Anyway, once they've accepted your invite, they'll show up on your friends list. From there you can open up the profile and choose the other tab, which has a "view their friends" option. So, you can use that to view a list of all the other people on the metatag, see which ones are online and playing which games, and send invites and such from there.

Ok, cool. That's what I thought.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I don't know how this happened, but I managed to jump off of the balcony of the bar in Armadillo and land on my horse and be able to ride away. There needs to be a way to reliably do this because it was awesome. Also, is it impossible to unlock the US Marshall outfit before beating the game? I did the requirements for it early on, beating every gang hideout in America in under 24 hours and it didn't unlock. It was fun so I don't mind doing it again, but man I wanted that earlier. I've managed to finally beat the game and I have to say that the ending was absolutely marvelously done. I hate Jack's voice actor but I'm sure I'll get used to him.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
^The horse trick is something that just happens. If you jump on your horse from above then you auto-mount.^

The most badass thing in the game will always be being surprised by a cougar swipe then getting a good cut with the knife and watching the cougar run away in fear as Marston chases it.

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008

Beelzebozo posted:

Whoa, seriously? Are we talking about the same 100% here? Do you have the "Redeemed" achievement/trophy or do you mean finished 100% of the story missions? Cripes maybe I fell asleep with it running or something and just don't remember.

I'm at like 45 hours with 1 more bounty to get and that's after spending a poo poo long time hunting bears and generally dicking around. If you wanted to push it I reckon you could do it in 20-25 hours.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
So last night I killed Bill Williamson [End of Mexico spoiler]. I think I missed a cutscene. After I did it, John and Reyes just stood around frozen in place like they were mid jumping jack. Hitting the Start button on the PS3 said it was paused like it does when there is a cutscene. :(

After a minute or so, the screen went black for a second, and then John was there by himself and it autosaved.

What did I miss?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Sieg posted:

So last night I killed Bill Williamson [End of Mexico spoiler]. I think I missed a cutscene. After I did it, John and Reyes just stood around frozen in place like they were mid jumping jack. Hitting the Start button on the PS3 said it was paused like it does when there is a cutscene. :(

After a minute or so, the screen went black for a second, and then John was there by himself and it autosaved.

What did I miss?

It skipped a cutscene in Mexico for me too, I think. I was just knocked out and was going to get killed or something, then Reyes popped up out of nowhere and I was in Chuparosa getting rescued. It's been a while so I forget the exact situation, but it was really jarring and sudden and it felt like I had skipped some cutscene without pressing any buttons.

Debawv
Sep 8, 2008
Some good videos.

Homing Dynamite Glitch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZATBDToJys

Treasure Hunting 1 - 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RDc8TymJiM

Treasure Hunting 5 - 9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsmw1qp4hGM

Haunted Mansion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roBK74LlU3M

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sieg posted:

What did I miss?

My game froze at that exact moment similarly to yours, but after waiting for a minute or two I went to reset my PS3 the cutscene started up so I didn't miss it. Can't remember what happened in it for the life of me, though. Sorry. :(

For being so amazing, this game sure is buggy. And when it bugs out, it really bugs out. Earlier after completing the first Agent Ross [Post Mexico spoiler] mission, I couldn't get any button prompts to pop up, meaning that I couldn't mount my horse, shop, change outfits or save. I tried camping outside of town but Marston just sat at the camp and I still had no button prompts. Thank goodness for autosave.

Also I've died at least three times from fall damage after sliding to cover and immediately being catapulted up like 50 feet into the air.

Edit:

Debawv posted:

Haunted Mansion

What do you have to do to keep your weapon out like that? Whenever I ready my weapon Marston holsters it after a few seconds if I don't aim or shoot.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 9, 2010

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
So I was going to post in here saying that while it was a very good game it hadn't really sucked me in like the reviews said but I thought I'd play a little longer. Suddenly a 3 day torrential rain storm descended, filling the land with individual puddles. I got myself a new horse which amusingly fucks off anywhere within 100 yards whenever I dismount it as though it really doesn't want to be around me and then I helped a crazy grave robber nearly disfigure someone oh and I saved somebody from a cannibal.

Yeah so two hours ago I was going to say it hadn't sucked me in...

Have to say though I'm sure it's been said a million times so far, I was disappointed he couldn't swim. First thing I did when I got into the country was see a huge lake, I navigated my horse there and set to swimming then "DEAD". I didn't even get a death animation. It sucked, I wanted to go swimmin' in the crik. Just a minor complaint too.

Also I nearly ruined the game searching the wiki to see if the guy who voices Marston was the same guy who voiced Johnny Klebitz from GTA: The Lost and Damned. It is not, though they sound incredibly similar if you ask me.

I haven't even really scratched the surface I'm still finding poo poo out, I did like 5 or 6 missions before realizing how to enable the dead eye shooting. What I REALLY like about the game is it really feels like you're roaming the country doing a mission a day the distances seeming much longer with only a horse to ride on. Whilst in GTA you'd often just do 5 Brucie missions in a row or something or maybe 2 or 3 missions in a game day Red Dead makes it so that you usually end up doing a different mission giver each time because the end point lands you closest to them. So there's a poo poo ton of variety in the storyline due to this. Plus I love how the characters are connected like I'll do a mission for West Dickens and he'll talk about Seth because he introduced me to him. I really like West Dickens I wish John would stop shouting at him :(.

So yeah, lt;dr loving incredible game and I'm not even that far in. Haven't had this much immersion and "WHOA" moments since I played GTA IV for the first time.

I wish you could name horses but I suppose seeing as they can die it doesn't really matter. My goddamn stallion hates me.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Make sure you sign up at socialclub.rockstargames.com. It will track your progress and tell you what you're missing for 100%.

Not only are there single player Challenges, but there are Social Club Challenges too.

There is a TON to do outside of the main story. I really feel like you're missing a lot.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Debawv posted:

Haunted Mansion

There's bats and you can't shoot them and add them to the list of animals you've extinguished??

That better be fixed in a patch. :colbert:

Debawv
Sep 8, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

What do you have to do to keep your weapon out like that? Whenever I ready my weapon Marston holsters it after a few seconds if I don't aim or shoot.

My wife actually pointed out the same thing. That was the only time he kept it out that I actually noticed. Hitting L1 will bring it out but he usually holsters it after a while.

Debawv fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 9, 2010

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

loving beavers man, where the gently caress are they? I had 20 feathers and 10 Red Sage for the Deadalus stranger mission before even finding the guy, but I can't find beavers to save my life. I made routes all along the river trail in Tall Trees and down around the railroad camp near the river ford, nothing.

Also I have to echo loving getting revenge on cougars after the pain in the rear end they were to find for the Master Hunter rank 5 challenge. They were all over the place in Rio Bravo when I went up there for the Red Sage.

*Gets knocked off horse, pulls out knife*

"C'mere kitty kitty" :unsmigghh:

RedneckwithGuns fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 9, 2010

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

RedneckwithGuns posted:

loving beavers man, where the gently caress are they?
http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Beavers

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Debawv posted:

My wife actually pointed out the same thing. That was the only time he kept it out that I actually noticed. Hitting L1 will bring it out but he usually holsters it after a while.

I know the button to bring up the weapon wheel can holster/unholster the gun if you tap it, but I'm not sure what causes you to keep it out. There were times when it seemed like I'd have my gun out for quite a while, though, but I couldn't say how long.

If you use the "aim" button though, you'll always holster it within seconds of releasing the button. I think you just press the "unholster" button (weapon wheel) and don't press the aim button at all. I think if you press and release the aim button while walking around with your weapon unholstered you'll still put it back once you release it.

Debawv
Sep 8, 2008

RedneckwithGuns posted:

loving beavers man, where the gently caress are they? I had 20 feathers and 10 Red Sage for the Deadalus stranger mission before even finding the guy, but I can't find beavers to save my life. I made routes all along the river trail in Tall Trees and down around the railroad camp near the river ford, nothing.

Also I have to echo loving getting revenge on cougars after the pain in the rear end they were to find for the Master Hunter rank 5 challenge. They were all over the place in Rio Bravo when I went up there for the Red Sage.

*Gets knocked off horse, pulls out knife*

"C'mere kitty kitty" :unsmigghh:

The map at the wiki is good. However, I got all of mine at the cabin in Aurora Basin within a few minutes. I was prolly just lucky.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I used that exact map to try and find them but I came up with dick. Is there a particular time of day that they usually appear or am I just gonna have to do circuits up and down that drat river for a few days?

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

I bought the survivalist map that shows the locations of herbs for 20 minutes. Is this a one-off or can you buy more of them?

Debawv
Sep 8, 2008

Houdini posted:

I bought the survivalist map that shows the locations of herbs for 20 minutes. Is this a one-off or can you buy more of them?

You can buy more. In addition, I think when you hit level 5, I could be wrong, it goes from 20 to 40 minutes.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I used that exact map to try and find them but I came up with dick. Is there a particular time of day that they usually appear or am I just gonna have to do circuits up and down that drat river for a few days?

I think time of day actually matters, because different animals have different sleep patterns in this game. Beavers are day animals if I recall.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Debawv posted:

You can buy more. In addition, I think when you hit level 5, I could be wrong, it goes from 20 to 40 minutes.

Thanks. I'm starting to get anxious to wander around the north after completing Mexico, and I cannot for the life of me find the two plants I need. :arghfist:

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Dont know if this has been mentioned, but I noticed that if you change the aiming difficulty, the game autosaves. Useful if you're not near a safehouse.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Policenaut posted:

I think time of day actually matters, because different animals have different sleep patterns in this game. Beavers are day animals if I recall.
You're right. Skunks, raccoons, and the like are more abundant from dusk until early morning, for example.

Policenaut posted:

Beavers are day animals if I recall.
That Beaver link says "You can find them more frequently at night." But, who knows.

The Viper posted:

Dont know if this has been mentioned, but I noticed that if you change the aiming difficulty, the game autosaves. Useful if you're not near a safehouse.
You can use a horse deed to do the same thing. :eng101:

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 9, 2010

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wow, I was just riding full pelt into Blackwater in the rain, when my horse slipped on a puddle or something and crashed into the wall at what looked like 60mph. It died but the bounty and I still live.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Lightguy posted:

Wow, I was just riding full pelt into Blackwater in the rain, when my horse slipped on a puddle or something and crashed into the wall at what looked like 60mph. It died but the bounty and I still live.
I regularly kill my horses running into the sides of those little one person carts to knock them over. My horse last night just up and died in the middle of a run on a flat stretch of road too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009

Lightguy posted:

This happened to me too, in the same place. It looked like he just died mid gallop for no reason.

• Locked thread