Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

If you run your horse in the red too much, it can die. They can also die within seconds of being bitten by a rattlesnake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I used that exact map to try and find them but I came up with dick. Is there a particular time of day that they usually appear or am I just gonna have to do circuits up and down that drat river for a few days?

I found them right behind the place you get missions from R, not even at the river

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I will give Rockstar one compliment though, in terms of realism, they've definitely made beaver as hard to get in this game as it is in the real world. :v:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I used that exact map to try and find them but I came up with dick. Is there a particular time of day that they usually appear or am I just gonna have to do circuits up and down that drat river for a few days?

If you can find the spawn points you can ride back and forth getting the game to cycle through the spawns. For example, in that low area leading up to the ford just past/behind the railroad camp, it will spawn elk, bighorns, boars, beavers, and wolves. Just ride your horse into that area, if it's not what you want, ride back to the circular area near the camp entrance. Ride back and usually it will have changed. Saves a lot of wandering.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I found a ton of them around Bearclaw Camp after another goon mentioned it, found 6-7 within 10 minutes.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I found the last three I needed near the train tracks running up toward Tall Trees. Thanks for all the help though. :)

Fudgement Day
Mar 30, 2007
Keep On Walkin In The Free World

Crows Turn Off posted:

If you run your horse in the red too much, it can die. They can also die within seconds of being bitten by a rattlesnake.

I was in Torquemada (I think) and I saw a rattlesnake chilling out in the corner of the town so I gradually nudged an npc right over beside it. The guy was bitten and died almost instantly. It was glorious.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I will give Rockstar one compliment though, in terms of realism, they've definitely made beaver as hard to get in this game as it is in the real world. :v:

I live in a place with abundant beavers supposedly (West coast :canada:) and I've only seen about two in the wild, ever, despite lots of evidence they are around. They are sneaky bastards.

So are cougars though. The game really got their natural behaviour wrong.

And bears don't try to kill you the second they see you. Otherwise I'd be dead 100 times over.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Crows Turn Off posted:

If you run your horse in the red too much, it can die.

Not just in the red, you can also kill your horse simply by spurring it too much. You don't even have to push its stamina that hard, it'll just keel over seemingly from nothing when you're going at a brisk-but-reasonable speed. It doesn't happen that often, but it's a pretty big what-the-hell moment the first time it happens.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

leidend posted:

I live in a place with abundant beavers supposedly (West coast :canada:) and I've only seen about two in the wild, ever, despite lots of evidence they are around. They are sneaky bastards.

So are cougars though. The game really got their natural behaviour wrong.

And bears don't try to kill you the second they see you. Otherwise I'd be dead 100 times over.

It was a vagina joke...but hey Canadians are cool too...

About the behavior though, how exciting would interactions with the wildlife be if they were as avoidant as real life though?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Viper posted:

This happened to me too, in the same place. It looked like he just died mid gallop for no reason.

This happened to me once, after my horse had been shot up a bit. I figured maybe I worked it too hard while it was injured.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

The Viper posted:

Dont know if this has been mentioned, but I noticed that if you change the aiming difficulty, the game autosaves. Useful if you're not near a safehouse.

I think this just saves to a settings file though, because there is a file independent to the actual game save files.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Goddamn wolves :argh:

I found my first Hungarian Half-Bred today, and in the process of chasing it down and trying to tame it, about 5 - 10 wolves came running out of nowhere and decided to harass me. After whipping out my trusty Bolt Action Rifle and pegging the fuckers, I started looking around to find the Half-Bred only to find the fucker had run off. Goddamn wolves. I spent a good 10 - 15 minutes trying to find another one and finally managed to break him, only to get ambushed by even more wolves on the ride back to my house. I loving hate wolves now :mad:

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

T1g4h posted:

I found my first Hungarian Half-Bred today, and in the process of chasing it down and trying to tame it, about 5 - 10 wolves came running out of nowhere and decided to harass me. After whipping out my trusty Bolt Action Rifle and pegging the fuckers, I started looking around to find the Half-Bred only to find the fucker had run off. Goddamn wolves. I spent a good 10 - 15 minutes trying to find another one and finally managed to break him, only to get ambushed by even more wolves on the ride back to my house. I loving hate wolves now :mad:

It's okay, I got mauled by a bear trying to lasso an American Standardbred up in Tall Trees. gently caress bears. :)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I thought of two things earlier concerning the post-game [SPOILERS]...

One thing that bothers me with Jack isn't so much his voice (I just picture of him as being scarred and turned psychotic from the trauma of his family dying to the US Army and Bureau and that is enough for me), but how he looks so much older than he is supposed to be. I mean, in three years time, he's gotten a huge growth spurt, sports a goatee, wears shaggy hair, but still sounds like a little kid.

Not only that but Edgar Ross looks incredibly aged for only three year's time. I don't think he would have retired so soon after killing John Marston, given his appearance then.

The other thing that I actually find interesting is reading about Edgar Ross being honored for taking down Dutch's gang in the post-game newspaper. Although we've come to empathize with John after 30+ hours and being with him in his fight for his family, if we put ourselves in the shoes of a random townsperson reading the newspaper and seeing John's name as murderer in a notorious gang being put down by the law, we would either think nothing of it or cheer on Edgar Ross. We would most likely not even know (or care, for that matter) about either Edgar Ross or John Marston and just move on as if John's name were just a blip among the rest of the news.

It's really deep if you think about it in more recent terms. Would you really give a gently caress about a nameless or semi-nameless terrorist being taken down in the foothills of Afghanistan? Would you sympathize with an outlaw taken down by the CIA as just a name in the newspaper, or would it make a difference if you knew the man personally and saw his struggles to get his family back safely from the CIA, complying with the CIA to take down former compatriots in the Taliban, al-Qaeda, or another insurgent or terrorist group? A modern John Marston, if you will?

Just food for thought.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I swear, the American Standardbred must have gone extinct when I wasn't looking. I've searched EVERYWHERE and haven't seen one.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

I swear, the American Standardbred must have gone extinct when I wasn't looking. I've searched EVERYWHERE and haven't seen one.

It's in Great Plains. Not one specific area of Great Plains, just the entire area.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Emron posted:

It's in Great Plains. Not one specific area of Great Plains, just the entire area.

And if you can't find it there, grab your shotgun and head to Tall Trees and look for one, I found the one I first broke there and they're easier to spot since the snow contrasts so much with their color. They're pretty much the only horse breed that spawns there that is even close to that dark, at least that I've seen in my time going biblical on every bear I see up there.

I also kind of want to gauge what weapons people typically use when running around in-game. For the longest time I had a boner for the Bolt-Action Rifle, since it's the most hard-hitting rifle until the Buffalo Rifle (one shot to center mass instant kill), but I recently picked up the Evans Repeater again to try it out since the 5 shot clip on the Bolt-Action makes it impractical to use with dead-eye compared to the Evans. I think pretty much everyone uses the High-Powered Pistol (except for the Mauser occasionally) though.

Also, how the hell do you do that dead-eye + dynamite bug from a few pages back that the video was of?

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010
Just spam the autotarget (right bumper) when in deadeye until you get a lock on a target.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Check out this incredible scene of equestrian acrobatics I recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bdgsf-B4X8

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I also kind of want to gauge what weapons people typically use when running around in-game.
LeMat for my sidearm since it's powerful enough and ammo is plentiful, Evans for my rifle because the "rifle" rifles hit too hard for hunting (unless I'm in West Elizabeth, in which case I stick with the buffalo rifle), and a semi-auto shotgun because gently caress yeah.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Also, how the hell do you do that dead-eye + dynamite bug from a few pages back that the video was of?
Go into Deadeye with dynamite, paint targets with RB. Works the same as any other weapon, only you don't have a crosshair, so it's a bit harder to line up. Doesn't work in multiplayer.

RadRadish
Dec 19, 2004

My hat is AWESOME!
Something pretty funny happened to me recently. I was completing a bounty up in Tall Trees (I think) and I was hog tying him on a reasonably steep and snowy slope near a cliff. As soon as I finished the hog tying animation and the camera zoomed out my bounty started sliding down the slope while bad-mouthing me and then shot off the side of the cliff like a rocket and died when he hit the floor of the rocky valley below. This was made even funnier as I killed my horse in my attempts to get to the guy's corpse and watched Marston ragdoll down the cliff.
Still turned in the bounty though. :clint:

I love the bugs in this game. Man-rocket-toboggan has been one of my favorite moments so far.

golem_ii
Dec 22, 2004

T1g4h posted:

I just sold 70 wolf pelts and hearts to the merchant in Chuparosa (all collected entirely while defending myself against them). John Marston is single-handedly responsible for the extinction of the grey wolf in the Americas.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

So I just got the game today. I think that I may spend the next week just hunting, this is more fun than I thought it'd be.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

golem_ii posted:

I just sold 70 wolf pelts and hearts to the merchant in Chuparosa (all collected entirely while defending myself against them). John Marston is single-handedly responsible for the extinction of the grey wolf in the Americas.

I picked up something like 42 pelts in one go up in Silent Stead. I ran across a few packs of wolves harassing people passing on the road and whenever I'd get done skinning the pack I just put down another six or seven more would show up. I eventually fled the scene when I got fed up with taking the time to skin everything.

Mr E posted:

So I just got the game today. I think that I may spend the next week just hunting, this is more fun than I thought it'd be.

I spent the first few hours hunting as well. I feel bad shooting Hawks and Foxes, but they make daddy a pretty penny!

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

RadRadish posted:

Something pretty funny happened to me recently. I was completing a bounty up in Tall Trees (I think) and I was hog tying him on a reasonably steep and snowy slope near a cliff. As soon as I finished the hog tying animation and the camera zoomed out my bounty started sliding down the slope while bad-mouthing me and then shot off the side of the cliff like a rocket and died when he hit the floor of the rocky valley below. This was made even funnier as I killed my horse in my attempts to get to the guy's corpse and watched Marston ragdoll down the cliff.
Still turned in the bounty though. :clint:

I love the bugs in this game. Man-rocket-toboggan has been one of my favorite moments so far.

I know exactly where that happened: Nekoti Rock. Happened to my first bounty I had up there, I didn't go chasing after him, though.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
The Tumbleweed poo poo about it being haunted is so drat cool. In that video the "we can settle this right here!" as if it was a past event that took place in that foyer was chilling.

If I made video games, they would be splitting at the seams with random easter eggs like that.

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I know exactly where that happened: Nekoti Rock. Happened to my first bounty I had up there, I didn't go chasing after him, though.

I cleared the guys out there, captured the guy, whistled and whistled for ages for my horse, it finally gets there and I put the bounty on it's back and then my horse just leapt off the cliff before I could jump on it and then I had to slowly work my way down the cliff side to retrieve the corpse's proof.

I've had a few odd horses that insist on shying away from me when I move towards them (sometimes where I can spend up to 30 seconds or so actually chasing my god drat horse after I call it) and they seem to keep doing it until it finally dies or I get sick of it and cycle it through horse deeds but I have no idea why it's happening just that it's consistent.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Sco Dylan posted:

The Tumbleweed poo poo about it being haunted is so drat cool. In that video the "we can settle this right here!" as if it was a past event that took place in that foyer was chilling.

If I made video games, they would be splitting at the seams with random easter eggs like that.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it just sounds like it's just the despawned NPCs for the hideout making sound somehow, and not like it's intentionally haunted.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sankis posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble but it just sounds like it's just the despawned NPCs for the hideout making sound somehow, and not like it's intentionally haunted.

Immersion ruined. :eng99:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Sankis posted:

Yeah, I went in there earlier today for a treasure hunt. To test the theory of the invisible/trapped NPC's I fired my gun, and a few of the guys unholstered their guns and started firing from some alternate dimension and yelling at me.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Just finished the game today, near the end game I had a really strange glitch where I thought the game had turned into The Shining [SPOILERS]...

I was following my dog up the mountain to find Jack. Right as I reached the top, I must of skipped the cut scene. This led to me going from a relaxed horseback ride to being 5 feet away from a charging grizzly! In the next cut scene, there were 2 versions of Jack. One was all scratched up from the fight, who was doing all the talking. In the background, standing behind a rock, was a clean version of Jack. He wasn't talking, just watching everything with a blank stare. After we rode back to the farm, creepy Jack appeared again in the distance... just watching.

I am assuming this was a glitch, unless the cut scene I missed had some crazy plot twists. My 2nd favorite glitch was during a game of horseshoes. I accidentally called my horse right as I started the game. In the middle of my first throw, my horse arrives dragging a screaming man underneath him. Eventually, the guy gets thrown way up in the air and comes crashing down right in opposite sand pit. I had to quit the game of horseshoes. It just didn't feel right tossing rings over the corpse that my horse was responsible for. Of course, I did loot his corpse.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Stringer_Bell posted:

Just finished the game today, near the end game I had a really strange glitch where I thought the game had turned into The Shining [SPOILERS]...

I was following my dog up the mountain to find Jack. Right as I reached the top, I must of skipped the cut scene. This led to me going from a relaxed horseback ride to being 5 feet away from a charging grizzly! In the next cut scene, there were 2 versions of Jack. One was all scratched up from the fight, who was doing all the talking. In the background, standing behind a rock, was a clean version of Jack. He wasn't talking, just watching everything with a blank stare. After we rode back to the farm, creepy Jack appeared again in the distance... just watching.

I am assuming this was a glitch, unless the cut scene I missed had some crazy plot twists. My 2nd favorite glitch was during a game of horseshoes. I accidentally called my horse right as I started the game. In the middle of my first throw, my horse arrives dragging a screaming man underneath him. Eventually, the guy gets thrown way up in the air and comes crashing down right in opposite sand pit. I had to quit the game of horseshoes. It just didn't feel right tossing rings over the corpse that my horse was responsible for. Of course, I did loot his corpse.

I had a similar endgame glitch. When the army comes for John and he leads his family into the barn, for some reason there was a second Jack already inside the barn. So there's John, Abigail, and two Jacks standing there in the barn, and after they leave, there's still one Jack in the corner, not moving or speaking. Weird stuff.

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now

Stringer_Bell posted:

Look at this noob who doesn't know about zombie Jack.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Sankis posted:

Even if that were the case, it's still the disembodied footsteps and voices of the previous occupants, who've now moved on from this plane of existance. Echos of people who were likely killed in a bloody shootout (by you). Sounds like ghosts to me!

You can imagine John telling the story around the travellers' campfire next time you stop to rest :)

edit: this smiley is also quite appropriate: :iiam:

Mylan fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 10, 2010

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I just had a completely skinned cougar attack me. I killed the bastard, and skinned it. I turned to call my horse, and the SKINLESS COUGAR GOT UP AND RAN AT ME. It knocked me down but did no damage. This creature from Hellraiser kept running, turned to attack again, then suddenly fell to the ground and slid for a few feet. It was all kind of startling.

Something else funny happened during the mission where you are supposed to help round up the cattle during the thunderstorm. It was the part where your are trying to keep them from running off the cliff. I tried to stop/turn , and my horse just didn't want any of that. Instead, it plummeted off the cliff and died, but I somehow survived. Two seconds later cows just started raining down on me; smacking the ground, mooing, splatting, and bouncing. It was wonderful.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

404notfound posted:

I had a similar endgame glitch. When the army comes for John and he leads his family into the barn, for some reason there was a second Jack already inside the barn. So there's John, Abigail, and two Jacks standing there in the barn, and after they leave, there's still one Jack in the corner, not moving or speaking. Weird stuff.
It's Jack's childhood being left behind. :smith:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I got through the entire game and the "California" mission never showed up. I guess I don't get 100% now.

As for the endgame, I think it was one of the most sobering, bittersweet endings to a video game since Mafia.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Sankis posted:

No, I figure, but it just seems cool.

Like I said, if I made games it would have a ton of easter eggs like that (but official).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

aliencowboy posted:

I got through the entire game and the "California" mission never showed up. I guess I don't get 100% now.

You can still get it; only 'I Know You' is unattainable after you've beaten the game and it doesn't count toward the 100%. As for California, look along the main road just north of The Scratching Post that heads NE to the triangle intersection.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 10, 2010

• Locked thread