Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

My best moment in Red Dead Redemption was when these two guys were holed up in the fort with the cannons in mexico (forget the name) doing the bounty achievement, and I snuck in past them and hordes of mexican soldiers, climbed up the tower, and shot them both in the back of the head right before they got the achievement. I even aimed at them for like 30 seconds to give them a fair chance to turn around, but they didnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

icantfindaname posted:

My best moment in Red Dead Redemption was when these two guys were holed up in the fort with the cannons in mexico (forget the name) doing the bounty achievement, and I snuck in past them and hordes of mexican soldiers, climbed up the tower, and shot them both in the back of the head right before they got the achievement. I even aimed at them for like 30 seconds to give them a fair chance to turn around, but they didnt.

Honestly they should have spent all their time putting in different stuff to do in free roam, because that's where all the fun mp moments are. Imagine if there was a more fleshed out bounty/criminal system for players, and if it didn't tell you where everyone was all the time if they weren't in your posse.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

OBi posted:

and if it didn't tell you where everyone was all the time if they weren't in your posse.

How would this make it better?
You would literally never find anyone else ever. The best way to grief though is to dead eye knife someone's horse over and over, people get so loving mad if you do this.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Vile posted:

I used to be an admin on Ultima Online
:words:
and that is just U, one of the many games I've greifed

If you have more unfunny and uninteresting stories about using admin powers to "greif," don't hesitate to share them with YCS.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Syntax! posted:

How would this make it better?
You would literally never find anyone else ever. The best way to grief though is to dead eye knife someone's horse over and over, people get so loving mad if you do this.

If there were some kind of "general direction" indicator that told you in which general location people were, it'd be pretty sweet. Maybe it would ping places on the map where you could find a person/people.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hard Clumping posted:

If there were some kind of "general direction" indicator that told you in which general location people were, it'd be pretty sweet. Maybe it would ping places on the map where you could find a person/people.

Hell, what's the old story about indians putting their ear to the ground? Just add that as an action to generate some sort of indicator. Doesn't break immersion and it provides a sense of direction without a radar.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hello Sailor posted:

If you have more unfunny and uninteresting stories about using admin powers to "greif," don't hesitate to share them with YCS.

gently caress YOU human being

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Vile posted:

Pithy retort, old bean.

Does anyone have any more Second Life stories/videos? Those are some of the best and the articles SA ran on it were some of my favorites.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

Dizz posted:

Not sure if this is griefing but it's funny as poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRAqglOT5Qc

See, why do I never get the funny griefing guys when I play TF2? I just get the angry guys who yell at everyone for not playing their class right.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vile posted:

He's right though. Just turning on God mode and going to town isn't very creative or interesting. It's the same reason why nobody comes in here and tells us about their sweet Counter-Strike wallhack story.

Octofoot
Jul 16, 2008

Vile posted:

Touchy, touchy. Either find a better insult, or come up with a more creative grief.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else... I don't know.
But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

KillRoy posted:

See, why do I never get the funny griefing guys when I play TF2? I just get the angry guys who yell at everyone for not playing their class right.

Yeah maybe he's only funny if you play a lot of TF2 and deal with idiots like that all the time.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Mexican army won't shoot you unless you shoot them so you didn't really have that much sneaking to you.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

KillRoy posted:

Jesus christ that guy is loving hilarious. He goes on about Penne with Tony Gambino and im in tears.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLollipopPrince#p/a/u/0/x5BGZROgNrg

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 10, 2010

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

That Tony Gambino video is incredible. "Just kidding, my cock's huge, let's go."

That and "See ya, goin' clubbin'" had me drat near tears with laughter.

MMF DOOM fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 10, 2010

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Shtemlow posted:

That Tony Gambino video is incredible. "Just kidding, my cock's huge, let's go."

That and "See ya, goin' clubbin'" had me drat near close to tears with laughter.

You know how big my cack is? Oh yeah you're black.

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You know how big my cack is? Oh yeah you're black.

This was all before I reached the "My legs are gonna be so jacked" part. This guy is a loving genius.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hydrogen Oxide
Jan 16, 2006
H2Woah
That Tony Gambino guy sounds like the guy in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na0mYSFPoCU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Homeworld
Or how hyperspace became so very deadly
One of the cruel tactics to use in Homeworld was hyperspace kamikaze.
When you plotted a jump on the game map you were capable of targeting inside large objects, namely people's motherships.

Your ship would jump, then collide and damage their mothership, all the while being nearly impossible to stop.
Gravity wells only stopped things exiting the jump portal thing, it didn't stop objects hitting other objects.

So poor players were stricken with horror as all they heard was "Hyperspace jump detected" and their mothership loosing a ton of health.

The only way around it was to set your mothership on a patrol loop.

Flight of the harvesters
It wasn't commonly known, but harvesters had hyperspace capabilities.
They also were categorized under "corvette" and thus were able to kamikaze.
A cheap tactic was to send an army of these things into the opposing mothership as they could take a few hits (the same as a frigate) and weren't affected by gravwells.
The only downside was their cost of 650.

Homeworld : Cataclysm
The great big gun in the sky
In short, this semi sequel had you transform a mining ship into a small battleship and turning mining tools into attack things.
Along the way you salvaged a siege cannon and strap it to the side of your ship.

Now usually you'd had to research it, but now and then you landed on a server that had all the research turned off, and usually by a rather green player.
What wasn't commonly known was that the siege cannon was able to be aimed manually, across the whole map.
The new and improved map system in HWC made this task quite easy.
The range of the cannon is apparently 900,000 meters so with a bit of patience it was possible to fire it across the map, into the other mothership.
A direct hit would either one shot or severely damage allowing you to mop it up with just your mothership.

Muffdiver
Oct 22, 2002
I don't think I've posted this story here so don't yell at me if I did. It is from the old school days of UO. I was on my thief named Batman patrolling the docks looking for boat keys to steal from people. I am stealthing around and see this one guy named Iupi talking to someone about how he's about to take his boat out to go fishing. I of course lock right onto this and sneak onto his boat with him remaining completely hidden. I wait for him to sail outside of the guard zone and he eventually does.

I sneak up and swipe the key from him and he completely does not notice my now revealed presence. I have to announce myself with a "Oh hai" before he notices me. All he does is keep demanding I "get out" and rages in incomprehensible 6 year old noob language with swear words. He tries to sail for land so I can leave but I keep spamming "drop anchor" so the boat never moves.

He finally gets sick of this and attacks me. Being a GM mage I drop him in two spells and loot him clean. I try to sail for land but he uses my trick against me and as a ghost keeps spamming "drop anchor". I go ahead and use the fake recall trick to make him think I've teleported away and he has a chance to go rez and maybe get his boat back. He waits a few minutes to make sure I don't come back and I remain patient, hidden the whole time.

He finally sails for land and as soon as he's off the boat I reveal myself by saying "forward". I see his ghost run to the end of the pier as I sail away with a *waves* emote. I find a place to park the thing and deed the boat. I zip over to the bank and add it to my collection.

So a few minutes later I find my friend Iwanbo and we're chatting and Iupi runs up in a deathrobe with no health and starts punching me. Iwanbo is like "umm that guy is punching you" and I inform him "yeah this is the guy I was just talking about". So we ignore his punching and keep shooting the poo poo for a few minutes, and after getting bored I flatten Iupi with a single lightning bolt.

Satisfied with my work I log out for about an hour. I come back and start patrolling the docks again like usual. I see Iupi again and I decide to thank him for his boat. He tries to play it all cool by acting like it's no big deal. I keep trying to antagonize him and it's not working until he says "yeah it's no big deal because my friend is giving me another boat" and he runs off.

Another boat eh? I decide to hide right there and start stealthing. I wait, and wait, and wait. Sure enough about 10 minutes later Iupi comes back to the same spot and starts heading to the end of one of the piers. I follow him stealthed till he stops and I snoop his pack and see a deed in there. I'm thinking at that time "come on do it...do it....DO IT!!!!". He places the boat I steal the key and redeed the boat and it was in the water for less than 2 seconds. Yes I stole two boats from the same guy within 2 hours.

Iupi is dazed and again does not notice my presence. Instead he does the usual confused newbie walk where he'll just pace around the same 2 tiles. I again announce my presence by thanking him for his boat. Well now he's upset and starts begging "please Batman give it back that's not my boat" and "you can keep the other one just please I need that back". I strut away to the bank while he's following me and begging the whole way.

I bank his boat and start feeling sympathy. I was just about to cave and return the boat when the little poo poo took a swing at me and ran towards a crowd of people screaming "HELP HELP SOMEBODY HELP!!". Oh no he did not just loving do that poo poo. I'm on my ethereal mount at this point so I ride his rear end DOWN and killed him in front of a dozen people who didn't do poo poo. No one fucks with Batman and they knew it.

So I take everything even the loving empty bottles and poo poo and some rear end in a top hat named Bartz attacks me. I kill him, too, and loot him. They both come back in robes and I realize Bartz is the person who gave Iupi the second boat. Bartz tells me to "stand right there" and "I'm hacking you so stand right there". Why he'd expect me to comply I don't know but I walk over to the trash barrel and make him watch me delete his stuff and they wander off at that point.

I log off and am about to go to bed when Iwanbo alerts me to a post Iupi made hulking out over how I cheat and need to be banned etc. I never saw him log on again so I'm assuming he rage quit.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jadz posted:

I'm not very aggressive most of the time, so I don't go out of my way to be a griefer (love the stories in this thread, though), but I love to do whatever I can to make someone quit if they gently caress with me for no good reason. RDR is perfect for this, and I would have loved to have the camera feature to see this guy's expression.

:clint:

Actually, all this talk about RDR and TTT in this thread was what made me think of a griefing-based MMO idea in the first place, since in both games, playing normally (and well) would be considered griefing by some, ironically enough.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

Vile posted:

Get outta here, shitheel. Nobody wants to listen to you and your crappy admin abuse stories. That's not grief, that's just being a power-tripping toolbag.

Hey, you'd make a great police officer!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

WebDog posted:

Homeworld

God I hate that my copies of all three of those games stopped working :(

Also, beware of the admin thing. My favorite ban from a TF2 server was from a butthurt admin that enabled unlimited sentries for only himself, so I ran along them all sapping them as I went, and he couldn't save them in time, and I'd keep de-masking in between him and his sentries so they'd mow him down along with me.

He went loving mental that he couldn't farm points, even after he enabled a retarded amount of bots to kill.

Cryle
Jul 19, 2008

by Ozmaugh

Nerolus posted:

Get outta here, shitheel. Nobody wants to listen to you and your crappy admin abuse stories. That's not grief, that's just being a power-tripping toolbag.

Hey, you'd make a great police officer!

You are so angry you started your shitpost in the quote and deleted it so nobody has any idea what you're melting down about.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cryle posted:

You are so angry you started your shitpost in the quote and deleted it so nobody has any idea what you're melting down about.
What the hell are you talking about?

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Vile posted:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Cryle posted:

Uhh no the post he quoted literally said that.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

The Tony Gambino videos are the best things I've ever seen.

If anyone has more, or similar, post em up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I love UO stories. I feel bad for missing that boat. I didn't try an MMO until Asheron's call, and that wasn't nearly the same thing.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Lockback posted:

I feel bad for missing that boat.

I bet Iupi feels even worse for missing that boat! :v:

Gotta agree that UO stories are pretty much my favorite part of this thread. Using GM powers to facilitate stealing boats seems a lot more entertaining than just using them to make yourself ungodly powerful.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Muffdiver posted:

UO Grief

Now THIS is Ultima Online griefing. Not that stupid admin stuff. Well done. :golfclap:

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Enallyniv posted:

I bet Iupi feels even worse for missing that boat! :v:

Gotta agree that UO stories are pretty much my favorite part of this thread. Using GM powers to facilitate stealing boats seems a lot more entertaining than just using them to make yourself ungodly powerful.

Actually in UO I believe GM stands for "Grand Master", meaning you have maxed that skill. The guys in charge are just called Admins.

I've never played UO so please tell me I'm a moron if I'm thinking of some other game that does this.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Actually in UO I believe GM stands for "Grand Master", meaning you have maxed that skill. The guys in charge are just called Admins.

I've never played UO so please tell me I'm a moron if I'm thinking of some other game that does this.

no the admins were called Game Master's as well

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Bum the Sad posted:

no the admins were called Game Master's as well

Was I still right about the Grand Master thing?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Was I still right about the Grand Master thing?

yeah

Crummers
Dec 30, 2008

Muffdiver posted:

Reading this just made me miss Galad and old school UO :(

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
Ultima Online

I had a character named David The Quick on Great Lakes who was recognised as being a horrible thief but I made most of my money on looting corpses and general scams.

I remember, people trading huge amounts of boards had to go to the bank and drop them on the ground for the other party to pick them up and trust them on the payment.

The thing is, I would buy loads of boards and then when they asked me to trade them the gold, i'd refuse. They'd usualy rage and attack me and get guard wacked. Or other times when i heard someone about to go do the same trade, i'd go hide in the usual spot people did these transactions and just swipe the boards when they hit the ground. (you had to hold it on your cursor, if you put it in the backpack it would drop at your feet) Afterwards, the person buying the boards would be accused of scamming and I'd bank the whole thing. My favorite time this happened, the guy accused the banker NPC of taking the boards because she was nearby.

In the trammel era, i tried buying stuff for cheaper by omiting a zero in the gold amount. I'd put the proper amount the first time and then break trade saying It was an accident. Then i put the same amount minus a 0 and they usual hit "ACCEPT TRADE" so fast they wouldn't notice.

And then i'd go to dungeons and loot people Belan Style. My favorite place was abusing the teleporter in Dungeon Wrong along with peacemaking to create a death trap. The second level of Wrong had mage red NPCs along with 2 angry guys with axes that would 2-shot mages and 3-4 shot fighters. I'd lure it next to the teleporter exit and peacemake it(play music to make monsters and npcs stop attacking you) and hide. Someone would go in and before they were done loading, they'd be dead. All i had to do was keep them away from their corpse for 7 minutes for it to turn to bones and I could loot everything. Then i would waltz outside with their gear equiped and thank them for their stuff in old english. At that time, they would usualy blow up at me in spectacular fashion while onlookers laughed at them or joined them in the assault. A few of them carried boat keys with them and used them to store loot, I think you can see where this is going.

I miss UO...

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Oh geez, you're right! That makes the boat scam even sweeter; drat shame it's difficult to find games where tricks like that pay off any more. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Cyberdud posted:

Ultima Online

This is almost as good as that amazing boat story above.

Just curious, are these things acceptable by the UO ToS? If so, this may be that griefing-MMO I was looking for. Fake teleports, baiting enemies and keeping them from attacking you, easy scamming. This could be fun as hell.

Deception as legitimate gameplay is always fun in online games. That's probably why Spy is my favorite TF2 class.

• Locked thread