Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Squizzle posted:

the guy who did all of these

That Guy posted:

http://gandhi.gfxartist.com/artworks/167446
Another painting of DnD monster - demon being called Sibriex. It has illustration from Tom Baxa which i dont like, so i ve made my own
Poor Baxa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Drox posted:

Just did the Dark Sun encounter.

Party lasted three rounds and then wiped. Good times.

That's the wasteland for you.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Drox posted:

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
I wish it was a little slower.

it being the gif's frame transition

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot
honestly i can't even tell what it's supposed to be

(somebody tell me because i feel dumb)

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Malachamavet posted:

I wish it was a little slower.

it being the gif's frame transition

I can arrange that. Maybe a little later.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Kerison posted:

honestly i can't even tell what it's supposed to be

(somebody tell me because i feel dumb)

This jaunty fellow:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Since I needed an excuse to procrastinate from further study for a final tommorow I toyed with the wasteland emot:

Fast:

Slower:

Comments, questions, concerns?

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
I'd almost like it to be That's the, long pause, wasteland, short pause, for you, long pause (the times you have there are good)

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The face is basically unidentifiable. It actually looks like a little black stick figure in the bottom right standing in front of something.

Anisotropic Shader
Nov 25, 2005

You're talkin' about what would basically be the most important model train layout of all time you realize.

Drox posted:

I travelled to the next city over (by caravan of course) just to attend the Encounter and it was fantastic. First time actually playing 4th edition (I've only ever DMed before). I was Phye and three of our four man party fell at one point or another, but we managed to drag ourselves from the fight (with two people slung over the backs of their compatriots).

It was really intense and savage, just how I imagined it should be. Definately making the hour journey by train to make the next one next week.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Dark Sun Encounters freaking owned, nobody at my table bitched about the pregens and they loved the new races. A few really braved the wastes to save the party and it paid off. Nobody died but everyone was very low on HP after 4 rounds of combat. They fled the caravan with a few supplies each on their way into the desolate Tablelands. :clint:

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
Freaking hell.
I found this thread yesterday and more or less plowed through the entire thing since then. I'm a little upset that there was a Dark Sun Encounter even on Wednesday, which I totally could have made if I had found this thread sooner, but I have a little bit of solace. I work at a game store that runs the Game Days, and I'll be working the day the arena maps and such will be around. So, not only will I be able to nab one of those, I can get a nice store discount on the source books.

I have to say that one of my favorite parts about the Dark Sun world is that it's not for the stupid and happy-go-lucky. If you're trying to coast along and end up on top, you're most likely going to die. Hell, I was in a Dark Sun game while in tech school and we ended up with one of those.

I was playing a Thri-Kreen Wasteland Druid who effectively embodied the "survival of the fittest" atmosphere of Dark Sun. We came across a temple opening revealed by the scouring winds and ducked inside for a little bit of cover and a chance at finding some valuable metal objects. Turns out the only item there was a bone ring with runes engraved on it. Our Preserver was able to decipher the runes and found out that it was a cursed ring. We already had enough problems, so we all turned and left once we had caught our breath in the (relatively) cool environment.

The aforementioned "happy-go-lucky" fellow had taken up a backstory of being the son of a well-known ruin explorer. So, in the name of his father, he wanted the ring to take it with us. Obviously the rest of us were against it, but he snuck the ring along with him anyway. So, when an apparition of sand formed at the mouth of the temple and demanded the treasure back, we figured out what was up. He refused to give it up and wanted to fight the monster for it.

We left his rear end behind.

As you can probably guess, there's no way in hell I'm passing up those books.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Welcome aboard the best setting-thread.

We didn't talk much about yesterday's Dark Sun design article from Dragon.

Rodney Thompson posted:

In many ways, Athas is an antagonist all its own, and one that lashes out at the heroes every time they move through its wastelands. We knew we needed to keep that, partly because it was memorable but also because it creates an interesting new gameplay dynamic.

Rich Baker posted:

We all felt that the best, purest, most captivating moment of Dark Sun’s previous run was the moment in time presented in the original 1991 boxed set. The 1996 set that captured the events and developments of the Prism Pentad—half the sorcerer-kings dead, rain falling in the Sea of Silt—felt like it had wandered into a place where it wasn’t quite Dark Sun anymore. So we settled on the idea of producing an “ultimate” Dark Sun, returning to that golden moment of the original set.

Rodney Thompson posted:

That all said, there are plenty of neat things from those later products that were just too interesting to pass up. I’m looking at you, Dregoth. So, we did some cherry-picking of things to add to our version of the setting.

Rodney Thompson posted:

One thing I wanted to make sure of was that we didn’t just drop things into the setting for the sake of adding them. They need to have that unique twist, that altered story, that makes them fit into the world of Athas as a natural thing. Luckily, the dray already provided a good venue for dragonborn, so we didn’t need to shoehorn anything in—they were already there.

I'm cutting a lot to keep this under the 10% allowed of quoting for review purposes--sorry, Rich Baker, but Rodney is just more quotable! :v: the article itself is a very, very good read. It confirms a lot that we already know, but it's wonderful (for me) to know that the designers are on almost the exact same page as I am regarding what makes Dark Sun work as a setting. I am interested to know where they go with the eladrin and tiefllings in the setting. The eladrin are fairly basic: Feywild dudes. Once they figured out how the 4E cosmology could be adapted to Athas, I'm sure the eladrin fell into place. The tieflings, though? I'm not sure at all how they'll fit into Dark Sun. I'm really interested to learn, and have complete faith in their ability to make it a satisfying addition.

Edit: From the Dark Sun Encounters materials, courtesy ENW:

Fury of the Wastewalker posted:

The secretive eladrin live in the few wild places still touched by what they call the Lands within the Wind (the Feywild), and are a near-mythical race to most.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 11, 2010

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Wowzers, Rich Baker expanded even more on the Feywild and eladrin of Athas on his blog.

Rich Baker posted:

The first step in re-envisioning the eladrin was to think about their homeland, the Feywild. Where do eladrin come from in Athas? We decided that the answer was still the Feywild—but the Feywild isn’t what you might expect. The Feywild is “nature turned up to 11.” In most worlds, that means magical forests, wondrous glades, and so on. In Athas, that means “magical desert.” Think of the mesalands around Sedona, the Painted Desert, or the mysterious Rub’ al Khali of Arabia: A place where humans aren’t meant to go, a place of the genies. The Feywild of Athas is dying, however, and it no longer exists as a continuous, parallel plane. It’s a few scattered pockets that don’t connect to each other; journeying from one Feywild locale to another means returning to Athas to make the trek.

So in Athas the eladrin become a mysterious, greatly feared race rumored to dwell in the Lands within the Wind—the strange otherworldly deserts and “hidden cities” that travelers sometimes stumble into in the middle of the most desolate wastelands.

Teleporting bandit-kings of hidden oases, in my Athas? Not absolutely terrible. I'd already gotten comfortable with the idea of the Feywild coming into Dark Sun, because they keep things cosmologically (broad strokes) consistent across the settings, so I can't say I'm at all troubled by the specifics. I doubt I'd've done any better, in their shoes.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I think it's a pretty interesting way to fit them in. I hope Tieflings' excuse for being in Dark Sun is on the same level. If it turns out to be "they're cursed bros and the sun going dark turned that up to 11 (as they are wont to say)" I'm going to be kind of annoyed.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I would imagine there are a few ways they could bring in Tieflings (in order of best/most likely idea to worst/least likely):

1) Tainted By Defiling Magic: During the Cleansing Wars terrible magics warped Athas and all that lived upon it. The most powerful of the defliers were Rajaat and his Champions who could draw the life force from even sentient beings. For most this simply killed them, but for some they survived but were forever changed by the experience leaving them inhuman.

2) Sorcerer King Blood (Related to #1): For most, the sorcerer-kings are all powerful gods who rule Athas from their battlefields and throne rooms. Yet rumors persist in the back alleys and slums that they were once simply men and women with all of the wants and desires of normal folks. A more apocryphal story says that ages ago they even had offspring who bore the mark of such dubious parentage and whose blood carries some of that lingering power.

3) A Dregoth Joint: Centuries ago something terrible befell the city Guistenal. No one knows what happened to that jewel by the Silt Sea, but whatever it was must have been terrible as legend has it people emerged warped and twisted.

4) Gods?: If you listen closely to some insane, ancient elves, or a mad scryer, you will hear that once Athas was home to many gods. They fought a war with other equally powerful beings across the whole of creation. In this fight they enlisted a number of men to bolster their ranks. Fighting next to divinity changed these mortals and gave them great power. It didn't help though, and the gods were destroyed. However, as the legend goes, the descendents of those holy warriors still bear the mark of the gods.

Comedy Options:

5) Planar Cast-Aways: I was sitting around the pub one night when some fool half-elf drunk off his rocker on spice wine started rambling about how his caravan was attacked by these horrible creatures near the Black Spine mountains. He said there was a flash of light and they just appeared like out of no where.

6) Did Someone Say Halflings?: The word around the Alliance is the templar are in an uproar. Apparently one of their expeditions to the west uncovered some sort of ancient pictographic tablet. On the stone was carved what looked to be halflings conducting rituals on other, probably captive, halflings. The tablet showed them shaping the bodies of their subjects, and creating all sorts of new features them for some, unknown purpose.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 11, 2010

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot
MML i gotta say it's good to see you rockin' the Riker so righteously

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Kerison posted:

MML i gotta say it's good to see you rockin' the Riker so righteously

:hfive:

He's my inspiration to stay in my (mostly terrible) career, so I need to give him some props.

s19aw
Oct 29, 2004
You're the first mate on a starship?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

s19aw posted:

You're the first mate on a starship?

Pimp, I think.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Yes.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Speaking of Riker, I came up with something for my game. We're on D&D hiatus right now playing Star Wars Saga until Dark Sun comes out. The finale of the Forgotten Realms campaign featured the heroes' ship being destroyed by a kraken, and I was going to have the players write the epilogues for their characters about what happened to them as they went on to Paragon or Epic tier.

For the move to Dark Sun, I want to have this campaign take place in a Mirror Universe kind of thing. Their characters will be a mirror universe counterpart of their old characters; the same race, but different role, class, etc. They would meet mirror universe NPCs from their previous campaign, too. I ran this by the players, because they really liked their characters from the last game, and so far I've gotten enthusiastic responses.

These characters will again begin at level 1 but I'm hoping this time they can master the system so we can progress to Paragon.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

They'll all have beards, right? Evil beards?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

the least amount of facial hair any character can have is a goatee

I may rule that razors just aren't common in Dark Sun due to the metal being expensive and metal working not being common

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

angrylinuxgeek posted:

the least amount of facial hair any character can have is a goatee

I may rule that razors just aren't common in Dark Sun due to the metal being expensive and metal working not being common

flint shaving razors have been around for 30,000 years

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Kerison posted:

roll a Dexterity check to see if you cut yourself shavin' that beard

Helena P Blavatsky
Oct 17, 2003

onward to victory

Kerison posted:

Also depending on how common obsidian is where they are, there would be razors made from that. Aztecs were reported to be able to produce 100 razors an hour of excellent quality even compared to iron or bronze. The downside, of course, was that they could not be easily resharpened and thus were less durable.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

So dwarves of Athas use disposable razors?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Anyone have any thoughts on how or where I might get my hands on a copy of the adventure/encounters for the Dark Sun encounters campaign? I'd love to run them as an introduction game for some new players.

(I do realise they're only released week-by-week)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on how or where I might get my hands on a copy of the adventure/encounters for the Dark Sun encounters campaign? I'd love to run them as an introduction game for some new players.

(I do realise they're only released week-by-week)

talk to your FLGS

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Okay, fired off messages to both the major stores around here. Any other suggestions, or a goon who could hook me up?

(I don't think anyone is actually running them in Melbourne, AUS, hence my problem.)

EDIT: Just saw that there are 3 locations listed on the WotC website for Melbourne, so I've hit them up too.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 12, 2010

alg
Mar 14, 2007

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Okay, fired off messages to both the major stores around here. Any other suggestions, or a goon who could hook me up?

(I don't think anyone is actually running them in Melbourne, AUS, hence my problem.)

EDIT: Just saw that there are 3 locations listed on the WotC website for Melbourne, so I've hit them up too.

theoretically if your FLGS isn't running it, you could take the exam to become a WPN Judge, set up your location as that FLGS, and order it yourself. :effort:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I just want to counter some people saying that you should skip on buying the 4e DMG. It was easily the best DMG type of book I've read. It beats the 2e, 3.0/3.5 DMGs as well as a few other non-D&D "Game Master" style books I've tried out. It has some useful tips on how to DM as well as some required rules (encounters, treasure parcels, "Actions the Rules Don't Cover", and I rather enjoyed using the Fallcrest/Kobold Hall adventure in the back as my first taste of 4e.

Also, don't buy Keep on the Shadowfell even if you want to use it. It's free on WotC's website.

[edit] I'm a stupid person who shouldn't post after waking up from a nap.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 13, 2010

Simpo
May 1, 2008

Aranan posted:

I just want to counter some people saying that you should skip on buying the 4e DMG. It was easily the best DMG type of book I've read. It beats the 2e, 3.0/3.5 DMGs as well as a few other non-D&D "Game Master" style books I've tried out. It has some useful tips on how to DM as well as some required rules (encounters, treasure parcels, "Actions the Rules Don't Cover", and I rather enjoyed using the Fallcrest/Kobold Hall adventure in the back as my first taste of 4e.

Also, don't buy Keep on the Shadowfell even if you want to use it. It's free on WotC's website.

I think you got the wrong thread. Although they did do an ebberon and FR conversion of Keep on the Shadowfell...

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rodney Thompson seems to be following Dark Sun discussion online. Would anyone in the thread object to me sending him a link here? I don't know if anyone wants to discuss, I don't know, major criminal conspiracy or something.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Rodney Thompson seems to be following Dark Sun discussion online. Would anyone in the thread object to me sending him a link here? I don't know if anyone wants to discuss, I don't know, major criminal conspiracy or something.

Well I'm not sure if he's going to want to spend the :10bux: but there's nothing wrong with passing the thread on. It'd be pretty awesome to get to talk to someone actually working on it, let alone the lead developer.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I havent found another place with decent Dark Sun discussion going on. The WOTC forum is a joke.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The idea of having a developer in here mixing it up is pretty awesome. Then we can imagine that our endless :spergin:ing and :goonsay:ing might actually impact future products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

ManMythLegend posted:

The idea of having a developer in here mixing it up is pretty awesome. Then we can imagine that our endless :spergin:ing and :goonsay:ing might actually impact future products.

If the first question he gets is "DO WE CALL HALFLINGS CANNIBALS OR MAN EATERS?!" you guys will be failures.

• Locked thread