Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
I recently bought the volcanic pistol and saw mausers and such later in the game, so I was wondering if you ever got an upgraded revolver similar to your starting weapon?

It doesn't feel right to have anything but a colt or knockoff revolver of similar type/design at my side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
You get a better revolver from Landon Ricketts the first time you talk to him. You also get another one later on in Mexico.

So I'm just about done with Mexico and I can't help but wish I was back in Armadillo where things were nice an simple with clear-cut missions where I was helping out good folk, rather than working for a corrupt, lecherous caricature of a Coronel and his homosexual lap-dog or Abraham Reyes: national gigolo. Heck the second I was done with Bonnie and the Marshall's missions I regretted it.

Having the protagonist constantly work with and for completely deplorable characters (when the protagonist is not completely deplorable themselves, which John Marston isn't) only works if there's a few sympathetic characters scattered here and there for contrast. Having everyone in Mexico be either naive, functionally retarded, mired in self-pity, a lecherous rear end in a top hat with too much power or another lecherous rear end in a top hat who will gently caress up the second he gets into power (at least I assume that's what Reyes will do) just made me want to shoot everyone in Mexico in the face.

Oh and of course Luise, being the only character with any redeeming qualities whatsoever, gets loving killed offscreen and the only reason I found out was because there was a quick mention in a cutscene.
gently caress Mexico.

e: Sorry for untagged spoilers, should probably have slept on it before posting.

Makrond fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 10, 2010

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

aliencowboy posted:

I got through the entire game and the "California" mission never showed up. I guess I don't get 100% now.

As for the endgame, I think it was one of the most sobering, bittersweet endings to a video game since Mafia.

You will, I did it as Jack. It doesn't 'show up' because it's drat hard to find unlike the other stranger quests.

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/California

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 10, 2010

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Makrond posted:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
You get a better revolver from Landon Ricketts the first time you talk to him. You also get another one later on in Mexico.

So I'm just about done with Mexico and I can't help but wish I was back in Armadillo where things were nice an simple with clear-cut missions where I was helping out good folk, rather than working for a corrupt, lecherous caricature of a Coronel and his homosexual lap-dog or Abraham Reyes: national gigolo. Heck the second I was done with Bonnie and the Marshall's missions I regretted it.

Having the protagonist constantly work with and for completely deplorable characters (when the protagonist is not completely deplorable themselves, which John Marston isn't) only works if there's a few sympathetic characters scattered here and there for contrast. Having everyone in Mexico be either naive, functionally retarded, mired in self-pity, a lecherous rear end in a top hat with too much power or another lecherous rear end in a top hat who will gently caress up the second he gets into power (at least I assume that's what Reyes will do) just made me want to shoot everyone in Mexico in the face.

Oh and of course Luise, being the only character with any redeeming qualities whatsoever, gets loving killed offscreen and the only reason I found out was because there was a quick mention in a cutscene. gently caress Mexico.

Yeah, the entirety of Mexico is pretty much the weakest part of the game. It's too long, John has very little incentive to do any of the work he does (as he repeatedly shows in his dialogue), and all the characters are genuinely unlikeable except for Ricketts, even the revolution people. Sure it's great to have a huge, different-looking part of the world open for shenanigans, but the story part itself in there is just agonizing. The missions are generally fun and varied, though.

We could very well crib the name of the next thread from the Left 4 Dead one; "Oh my god, I hate Mexico so much"

e: Also so as not to seem so negative, man I love free roam when it clicks together. Couple of days ago I was just dicking around, doing Solomon's Folly when suddenly a random guy enters the session and comes to help me. After the hideout is cleared, we chat a little bit and it appears he's also Finnish! We posse up, he invites a friend of his, we go clear more hideouts and have a shitload of fun. At some point we come across a German guy trotting along the road with the lovely level two horse, invite him to our posse and I give him my own horse so he can keep up :3:

Then we ended it all in an awesome free-for-all match in Armadillo.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 10, 2010

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

enigmahfc posted:

I just had a completely skinned cougar attack me. I killed the bastard, and skinned it. I turned to call my horse, and the SKINLESS COUGAR GOT UP AND RAN AT ME. It knocked me down but did no damage. This creature from Hellraiser kept running, turned to attack again, then suddenly fell to the ground and slid for a few feet. It was all kind of startling.

Something else funny happened during the mission where you are supposed to help round up the cattle during the thunderstorm. It was the part where your are trying to keep them from running off the cliff. I tried to stop/turn , and my horse just didn't want any of that. Instead, it plummeted off the cliff and died, but I somehow survived. Two seconds later cows just started raining down on me; smacking the ground, mooing, splatting, and bouncing. It was wonderful.

Holy poo poo, these are the best glitches I've heard of yet. I've not had any interesting ones so far.

I find it weird how people are complaining about how bleak the story is. If you don't like it, that's fine, but it's not really fair to say it "doesn't work", just because you want more uplifting moments. R* are clearly out to debunk the romance of the Old West. There's that quote by the anthropologist, who says "I dreamt of documenting the last days of the old west. The romance, the honour, the nobility! But it turns out it’s just people killing each other", which is basically the theme in a nutshell.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

arca posted:

You will, I did it as Jack. It doesn't 'show up' because it's drat hard to find unlike the other stranger quests.

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/California

Come on now. Don't ruin it for people.

To add content, this Win 4 Team Matches In A Row trophy will be the death of me...I did the FFA 3 in a Row fine, but can't get more than 2 team games in a row. I have led my team in every category just about every game, but it's never enough :(

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
When doing the hunting challenges I randomly stumbled upon a woman who was kneeling over a man who was dead and she appeared to be crying/drinking? It was weird because I had never seen random NPC's who didn't interact with me/my story doing anything like that before.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Makrond posted:

Oh and of course Luise...
She's actually the woman with the knife who runs up to the army guys and gets shot when they have Reyes captured in the last mission where you storm the palace. So she definitely doesn't die off-screen.

I liked Mexico the most actually, the only thing I disliked about the game is that you get the outfits too late to actually use them in the appropriate setting. It's also kind of weird that you get to dress up as factions your character has reasons to hate the most, like the U.S. Army outfit and the bureau outfit.

Gazmachine posted:

I find it weird how people are complaining about how bleak the story is. If you don't like it, that's fine, but it's not really fair to say it "doesn't work", just because you want more uplifting moments. R* are clearly out to debunk the romance of the Old West. There's that quote by the anthropologist, who says "I dreamt of documenting the last days of the old west. The romance, the honour, the nobility! But it turns out it’s just people killing each other", which is basically the theme in a nutshell.
People always have something to complain about, at least it wasn't a dumb cliffhanger which doesn't get resolved until a sequel which might never happen like a lot of other games. I thought the ending was pretty surprising and awesome even though I didn't care much for playing as Jack.

soggybagel posted:

When doing the hunting challenges I randomly stumbled upon a woman who was kneeling over a man who was dead and she appeared to be crying/drinking? It was weird because I had never seen random NPC's who didn't interact with me/my story doing anything like that before.
It's one of the standard encounters, it'll pop up a couple of times more.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

Gazmachine posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't have too many complaints about the story or the theme. It's mostly just that once you get out of Armadillo there aren't really any people who are straight-up good and not crazy. It brings the story down a little because it just makes you wonder why the hell John even cares (and in the end I guess he doesn't, he just wants to get Bill and Escuella and get the hell out of there).

I just think you can have good people without ruining the whole 'end of the age of cowboys' thing going on. In fact it would probably improve the story because at this point it looks like with the cowboys and gunslingers gone all you've got left is backstabbers, liars and politicians. Oh and Bonnie I guess.

a 16 year old girl posted:

She's actually the woman with the knife who runs up to the army guys and gets shot when they have Reyes captured in the last mission where you storm the palace. So she definitely doesn't die off-screen.

Huh. I don't remember seeing a cutscene there, I must have accidentally skipped it while running up the hill.

Also if you see someone crying next to a dead body, if you hang around a while sometimes they'll pull out a gun and shoot themselves and you can loot their corpse :v:
It's really weird the first time you see that especially if you don't know it's coming. I was just sort of crouching next to a guy who was sobbing uncontrollably when suddenly I saw a glint of metal and thought he was about to shoot me, then he pressed it to his temple and I was like :aaa:

Makrond fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 10, 2010

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
She eventually shoots herself with a gun while crying at her dead man's body.

Also, when you free Zhou by capturing a White Stallion for his slave owner, you leave the horse there. The new owner then takes it for a ride, gets off a little further between two buildings and starts brushing it. I was watching all this and I also noticed a rattlesnake right next to the horse. The owner then walked too close, got bit and died.

It could have been random chance in my game, but I guess it was scripted in. Pretty cool though.

Pro-tip to make a lot of money fast. Early in the game you get a mission to win a land deed from a Liar's Dice game in Thieves Landing. It's possible to just keep playing that game with the one guy at the table. Each time you will win 200 dollars and it takes like 2 minutes to beat that one guy.

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

This space intentionally left blank
Ignorant PC holdout here so bear with me, the random encounters with the suicidal men/women is it possible to disarm them with a deadeye shot? If so, what happens next?

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Makrond posted:

Huh. I don't remember seeing a cutscene there, I must have accidentally skipped it while running up the hill.
It's just after freeing the prisoners. John is in a stand-off with some Mexican Army guys who have Reyes tied up when she runs up with the knife and distracts them by getting shot, which allows John to shoot two of the guys and then you get a dual / showdown with the third guy. He says something like "let's fight like men not dogs" which is followed by you running up the hill to the mansion / palace. John doesn't say it's her at that point so unless you recognized her it's easy to miss, especially since there's a whole bunch of random peasants getting shot at that point.

Sioux posted:

Also, when you free Zhou by capturing a White Stallion for his slave owner, you leave the horse there. The new owner then takes it for a ride, gets off a little further between two buildings and starts brushing it. I was watching all this and I also noticed a rattlesnake right next to the horse. The owner then walked too close, got bit and died.

It could have been random chance in my game, but I guess it was scripted in. Pretty cool though.
Sometimes these random things are pretty cool but sometimes they gently caress up the atmosphere as well. I had just finished one of the last missions with John where you kill Dutch and as you're riding home some special kind of melancholic song starts playing, which lasted about 20 seconds until I got raped by a grizzly from behind.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dogtanian posted:

Ignorant PC holdout here so bear with me, the random encounters with the suicidal men/women is it possible to disarm them with a deadeye shot? If so, what happens next?
Interrupting any NPC event in the game seems to just set them back to their neutral behavior.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dogtanian posted:

Would probably be considered a crime, considering trying to rope them in front of a witness counts as a crime.

KungfooMF
Feb 21, 2002

Dogtanian posted:

I tried and I believe it wouldn't let me target the pistol.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Makrond posted:

Oh and of course Luise, being the only character with any redeeming qualities whatsoever, lives a happy and fulfilling life forever and ever and the only reason I found out was because there was a quick mention in a cutscene.

Oh does she? Well I hate to hear that... before I get to that part in the game. Thanks.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 10, 2010

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
What were everyones thoughts on the music? I really liked the song that plays the first time you go to Mexico, really unexpected. The one for the end credits was kinda so so.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I played this for thirteen hours yesterday, so here are some overtired questions and thoughts:

It actually took me until level 8 survivalist that the plants you need despawn when you're required to gather them. I finished rank 7 with the map active and the area was filled with plants that weren't there earlier.

It too me 29 hours of gameplay to realise you can just hop on the train and ride around.

I've had bears kill me three times while trying to tame the black horse. One of them killed the horse as it was lasso'd.

What gun can one-shot bears? The last thing I did was buy a buffalo gun, so I'm hoping it's that.

I killed all the buffalo for the achievement, but didn't get it. Does this mean one of them ran off a cliff or got killed by an NPC?

Furthermore: The cannibal random event is hilarious.

The Viper posted:

What were everyones thoughts on the music? I really liked the song that plays the first time you go to Mexico, really unexpected. The one for the end credits was kinda so so.

My favourite theme is the noir-style one with the saxaphone that plays in Mexico at night.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Houdini posted:

What gun can one-shot bears? The last thing I did was buy a buffalo gun, so I'm hoping it's that.

I killed all the buffalo for the achievement, but didn't get it. Does this mean one of them ran off a cliff or got killed by an NPC?

Yep, buffalo gun to the head.

The buffalo will keep spawning so you can kill them until you get the achievement. I'm not sure if they keep spawning after you get the achievement, but they definitely do up until you get it.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yep, buffalo gun to the head.

The buffalo will keep spawning so you can kill them until you get the achievement. I'm not sure if they keep spawning after you get the achievement, but they definitely do up until you get it.

Thanks. :waycool:

My attitude from starting was to ignore nature, because I didn't really want to go around the map killing animals, but with the hunter game and all the stuff that's out to get you, I get into full on :unsmigghh: if anything comes near my horse. If there isn't a reward for killing a bear with the knife, I won't be pleased.

E: That reminds me of something. I saved "that guy" who gets chased by a pack of wolves, only to meet up with him about five minutes later being chased by a pair of cougars. I ended up headshotting him after the cougar moved too quickly, so I ended up assisting them instead. Don't wander around at night without fifteen guns and some dynamite.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Makrond posted:

Oh and of course Luise, being the only character with any redeeming qualities whatsoever, gets loving killed offscreen and the only reason I found out was because there was a quick mention in a cutscene. gently caress Mexico.
Did you skip the scene or something? You see her get shot. There's no "quick mention" of it. You see her die.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Debawv posted:

My wife actually pointed out the same thing. That was the only time he kept it out that I actually noticed. Hitting L1 will bring it out but he usually holsters it after a while.

John keeps his gun out constantly in gang hideouts, there's no auto-holstering until you leave the area.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Makrond posted:

Oh and of course Luise, being the only character with any redeeming qualities whatsoever, omg it's a spoiler! and the only reason I found out was because there was a quick mention in a cutscene. gently caress Mexico.

Tewratomeh posted:

Oh does she? Well I hate to hear that... before I get to that part in the game. Thanks.

Perhaps then you should edit it out of your own post as well, instead of you know... Quoting the spoiler again even though you're complaining about it yourself.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Crows Turn Off posted:

Did you skip the scene or something? You see her get shot. There's no "quick mention" of it. You see her die.

That cutscene gets skipped for a ton of people, that mission is super glitchy. I had to replay the mission 5 times before it played.

P455W012D
Mar 20, 2007

"Smells like a Squatch"
Can someone explain Rockstar* Social Challenges to me.

code:
Pike's Basin - This Challenge is in effect only after you have completed the “Justice in Pike’s Basin” mission and have cleared the Gang Hideout here at least once.

OBJECTIVES
Kill 3 people in one Dead Eye burst
Drag a gang member through the basin
Kill all enemies while on horseback
Is there anything special you need to do to start the challenge? Or do you just go back to the basin after you finish the mission with the marshal and gang mission. Also can this be done numerous amount of times? Thanks in advance

Exploding Barrel
Jun 17, 2005

Lights out!
Guerilla puppet show!
So has anyone else run into invisible npc's ("ghosts") in Tumbleweed's mansion? I was down there for the treasure hunter quest and literally bumped into one.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Finally beat the game, 1 day 23h 40m 30s. Definitely got my money's worth, rarely ever quick-travelled because I just love riding around. I don't even do most of the random events, just the ones that have me kill someone - when I see people running from cougars out in the middle of nowhere I just let them get eaten. Stupid fucks going for a walk without a gun deserve to die :clint:

End-game: I like how killing Ross gives 100 honour, which cancelled out firebombing his wife and gut-shotting his brother. I have one more stranger to find, I think the Aztec Gold one, and loads of bounties since I never bothered doing them during the game proper. I don't even mind Jack too much, though he shouldn't be so mean to the horse.

How moddable to y'all reckon the PC version will be? I expect one of the first mods will be some kind of Super Ranch Playhouse where you can fetch/breed horses, chickens, cattle, etc. and protect them from bandits and foxes and whatnot. Also, having a companion dog and being able to play fetch. :3:

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
I just had a great bug. I accepted a duel in theives landing, and on the way out to the location a barfight broke out. Well the guy that was doing the shooting ended up on the balcony as one of the npc's that crowd around and watch the duel. He kept shooting at me however, and by the time the thing said "DRAW" I was dead. I was both pissed off and laughing at the same time.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I had the greatest random NPC encounter while I was playing earlier this evening. I was near Fort Mercer huntinggetting killed by packs of Cougars, when I heard German voices off a path near one of the cliffs. Wandered a bit closer thinking it was an odd place for NPCs to be camping, and saw that it was 3 guys with a shitload of TNT. Then I heard one of them mention something about "...only one little spark" then KABOOM. Giant explosion.

Laughed my arse off.

Bobnoxious
Aug 19, 2004
Thread Killer

Crows Turn Off posted:

How to knife a cougar.

This worked perfectly. Thanks.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Makrond posted:

Also if you see someone crying next to a dead body, if you hang around a while sometimes they'll pull out a gun and shoot themselves and you can loot their corpse :v:
Not always. Sometimes they down a bottle of poison. The first time I ran into this, I wanted to lasso the guy to "save him" from shooting himself(this had already been spoiled by some preview article so I knew what was going to happen). Instead of breaking out a gun, he had a bottle and I figured he was just going to drink his sorrows away before shooting himself. Well, I guess he did. :D

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I had the greatest random NPC encounter while I was playing earlier this evening. I was near Fort Mercer huntinggetting killed by packs of Cougars, when I heard German voices off a path near one of the cliffs. Wandered a bit closer thinking it was an odd place for NPCs to be camping, and saw that it was 3 guys with a shitload of TNT. Then I heard one of them mention something about "...only one little spark" then KABOOM. Giant explosion.

Laughed my arse off.

I recently ran across a couple of shifty looking dudes with a rickety wagon laden with dynamite that they wanted me to 'help deliver', by which they meant driving into town no doubt while being attacked by waves of bandits.

I politely declined.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Hal Gill username posted:

I recently ran across a couple of shifty looking dudes with a rickety wagon laden with dynamite that they wanted me to 'help deliver', by which they meant driving into town no doubt while being attacked by waves of bandits.

I politely declined.

There actually aren't any bandits. It uses the same life-bar mechanic as when you haul West Dickens around the first time you meet him.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Bobnoxious posted:

This worked perfectly. Thanks.
Yeah, just running up that train track ramp about 10 feet and suddenly the cougars can't touch you. Not really very :clint: but it does the job.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Looking for more people to play online with. Xbox GT: OhSoHologramic

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Has anyone had trouble with the Gentlemen's Attire not unlocking?

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Houdini posted:

Has anyone had trouble with the Gentlemen's Attire not unlocking?

You need to go to the Social Club in the menu and press (Y) while you have NEWS selected so that it links your Gamertag / Xbox account to the Social Club.

Then it should inform you that the accounts are linked and that the Gentleman's Attire is unlocked after saving your game.

Edit:
V V V

Sorry, no idea then. :-(

itsnice2bnice fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 10, 2010

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

a 16 year old girl posted:

You need to go to the Social Club in the menu and press (Y) so that it links your Gamertag / Xbox account to the Social Club.

Then it should inform you that the accounts are linked and that the Gentleman's Attire is unlocked after saving your game.

Sorry, but I should've mentioned I've done everything to get it. It just won't unlock.

I activated the Social Club stuff on saturday when I got the game, as I've had the challenge available for me too. So it's been six days since I activated it.

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK
I'm only on page 54 of this thread and I'm trying to refrain from reading it because I've nearly finished the storyline and don't wanna spoil it for myself, so my apologies if this has already been mentioned; You can jump on to your horse when you're on top of something high like a building or balcony. I feel like such a badass when I'm jumping down from the balcony of the Armadillo Saloon on to my horse to chase some dudes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm nearing the end of the game (I think) and I still can't buy the last bit of the US Army Uniform from Blackwater. When can I do that?

• Locked thread