Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Not sure if posts like this are cool or not but I am still looking for a decent unmolested NA in the mid-atlantic region if any goons are trying to sell one. Nothing too crazy nice, my budget is only $3000-3500ish. My best case scenario preference is a black 1.8 with any LSD package, but I'd be interested in anything. Thanks dawgs.

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
Never saw this thread, but I had an old guy who lived a few houses down the street from me offer this '06 Galaxy Grey with 6000 miles on it to me for dirt cheap. Now I own a Miata. And I like it. Stock picture attached. Must lower ASAP. What's a good coilover or shock/spring combo for this that will drive smooth enough for a daily driver?

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How cheap is cheap?

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.

Phone posted:

How cheap is cheap?

A little over 12 for the Touring model. Feels like a brand new car w/only 6k on it, was garaged and used as a once-a-week/month car.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

lokk posted:

What's a good coilover or shock/spring combo for this that will drive smooth enough for a daily driver?

How much do you want to spend?

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.

FatCow posted:

How much do you want to spend?

Anywhere from $500-$800 preferably. I saw pictures on this thread of the FM Stage 2 suspension package, but the drop didn't look low enough, still saw a big deal of wheel gap. Maybe I'm bias because my last car was an RSX lowered 2.25", but the stock wheel gap on this '06 is HUUUUUUUUUGE.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Hey can I hang out with you guys now? I don't have a miata but I have miata seats now:

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You can make like 2 posts a month, since you have like 1/15th of a miata :)

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

You can make like 2 posts a month, since you have like 1/15th of a miata :)

Ok thanks! I'll see you guys in July!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Piano posted:

Not sure if posts like this are cool or not but I am still looking for a decent unmolested NA in the mid-atlantic region if any goons are trying to sell one. Nothing too crazy nice, my budget is only $3000-3500ish. My best case scenario preference is a black 1.8 with any LSD package, but I'd be interested in anything. Thanks dawgs.

If you want, I can PM you NAs that I see come up in the Boston area. It's a drive but prices seem good even this time of year.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Lots of NA Miatas show up on Raleigh's Craigslist as well.

lokk posted:

Anywhere from $500-$800 preferably. I saw pictures on this thread of the FM Stage 2 suspension package, but the drop didn't look low enough, still saw a big deal of wheel gap. Maybe I'm bias because my last car was an RSX lowered 2.25", but the stock wheel gap on this '06 is HUUUUUUUUUGE.

You're likely going to want lowering springs that are close to stock rates. I wouldn't try to replace the springs and shocks at that price point. I don't know any specifics for NCs.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I may just end up buying from that funcarsforsale guy, seems to get a lot of good reviews and always has a few cheaper ones around. But it would be a ~20 hour drive home, which I don't really mind but it could end up being a bad situation if something broke on the way.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

lokk posted:

Never saw this thread, but I had an old guy who lived a few houses down the street from me offer this '06 Galaxy Grey with 6000 miles on it to me for dirt cheap. Now I own a Miata. And I like it. Stock picture attached. Must lower ASAP. What's a good coilover or shock/spring combo for this that will drive smooth enough for a daily driver?

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Flyin' Miata Stage 1 Suspension:
http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=5634&parentid=0&stocknumber=13-16650%20%202006%2B

I'll be getting the stage 2 (adds anti-roll bars) sometime after September.

Edit: didn't see you already mentioned the FM kit, got too excited about posting. The coilovers that follow may be a little out of your price range.

Coilover-wise, I read good things about this and this as good comfortable setups.

Also, that is a pretty good price for a touring with 6k, and Galaxy Gray is a very nice color in person.

Edit: those wheels are way better than the ones on my '08 Touring :mad:

Looks like Arizona, wanna get together and touch dicks?

GoblinBomb fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 10, 2010

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.

GoblinBomb posted:

Flyin' Miata Stage 1 Suspension:
http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=5634&parentid=0&stocknumber=13-16650%20%202006%2B

I'll be getting the stage 2 (adds anti-roll bars) sometime after September.

Looks like Arizona, wanna get together and touch dicks?

I'm from Scottsdale, but up in Canada for a few months visiting friends. I do wanna see how the stage 2 looks in person though. My previous car (RSX) was modded out the rear end, and I don't want to do the same to this car, because all it took was one drunk driver and all my work was gone. Anyways thanks for the links, looks like I need to get a better job than online poker breakeven bum and start saving up.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
My mother just called me today because apparently she stopped at a Jaguar dealership today and fell in love with this NC: http://www.thegreatbritains.com/used/Mazda/2008-Mazda-MX-5+Miata-1a0382500a0a0064006b54ef8ad1bbcd.htm

I have no idea what the price market is for NC's but that seemed like an ok price from some cursory autotrader searching.

However, knowing that my mother doesn't actually want to start up a new car payment it's surprising to me that she would be looking at an $18k car, so suggested this:

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/d...ealer_id=142703

Are those decent prices from a dealer? She won't buy from a private party. Also, she WANTS the auto trans. Crazy, I know.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.

Elysium posted:

Are those decent prices from a dealer? She won't buy from a private party. Also, she WANTS the auto trans. Crazy, I know.

I can't comment on the prices, just that I got my 2006 touring 6AT w/6k miles on it for around 12.5k. The autos are completely redone in the '06 and later years. Apparently before they were crap. I had to get an auto because I wrecked my car and in the process my left leg when a drunk drive rammed me. I never thought I would like it as much as I do. It doesn't baby you at all and lets you redline if you want it too, and it will auto downshift if you are too lazy, so you can just roll to a stop from third gear and it will put you down to first. It's the most fun I've had in an automatic, and I get to be lazy if I want.

I only put use the automatic mode when I'm in heavy traffic. Otherwise, I'm 5.8 times happier than I thought I would be with this 6AT car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

lokk posted:

The autos are completely redone in the '06 and later years. Apparently before they were crap.

Yep, this is a very important distinction to make. The NB, even in '05, is really just a warmed-over NA. This isn't a bad thing, but it does mean that in many ways, that '02 is more like a '92.

Modern automatics are a lot better than they were when the NA/NB automatic was designed...if automatic is a requirement, I'd stick with the NC.

Frost -273
Nov 26, 2004
I have a 1998 MX5 NB with an original stereo. While I was overseas my parents changed the battery in the car then put in the wrong password a number of times.

The stereo is now asking for the 'master code' - however mazda wants to charge me $40 for it. Does anyone know the code and punch in procedure?

I mean for $40 I would be better off buying a new stereo.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Frost -273 posted:

I have a 1998 MX5 NB with an original stereo. While I was overseas my parents changed the battery in the car then put in the wrong password a number of times.

The stereo is now asking for the 'master code' - however mazda wants to charge me $40 for it. Does anyone know the code and punch in procedure?

I mean for $40 I would be better off buying a new stereo.

Does this work? http://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15083

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
FYI, everyone with an NA or NB ought to try and take off their windshield visors sometime. The increased field of view and decreased interior noise was a no-brainer for me to leave them off, as you ought to have a pair of sunglasses in the car at all times anyway.

I also removed my windshield washer fluid tank :v:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Try taking off your rear view mirror (if it's legal in your state).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mine have been off for quite some time, partly because the screws started backing out regularly for no apparent reason. I'm tall enough that it doesn't matter, it pisses my wife off though.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

destructo posted:

FYI, everyone with an NA or NB ought to try and take off their windshield visors sometime. The increased field of view and decreased interior noise was a no-brainer for me to leave them off, as you ought to have a pair of sunglasses in the car at all times anyway.

I also removed my windshield washer fluid tank :v:

Increased visibility definitely. Decreased interior noise?! Seriously?

I like mine. I use it as a parasol shielding me from mid-afternoon sun when stuck in traffic with the roof down.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

meltie posted:

Increased visibility definitely. Decreased interior noise?! Seriously?
Yeah, mine would flap around on bumps and I never knew what the gently caress it was until I took them out.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I turned the holes from the visors into small interior lights. You can tap off the lights already in the interior, and run lines up the a-pillar and across into the slots. It's not a lot of light, but it adds a bit, and you don't get much to start with.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I'm in the middle of a timing belt/wp change on my 99

I'm stuck on removing the crank bolt. Right now it's soaking with penetrant waiting for me.

The first thing I tried was put the car in 1st gear and rip the ebrake. Then I crank on the bolt with my breaker bar, but I can turn it 1/2 a turn and the drivetrain just torques up and takes out the slack and the bolt doesn't budge.

I tried threading a bolt into one of the holes, putting a bar under it so when the crank turns it pushes the bar down into the ground, but that just raises the car up.

What are the other ways to remove it?

I know of the "make a tool out of metal" but I don't have any pieces of metal suitable and I can't drill a hole big enough for the crank bolt in the middle.

I've heard of the starter bump, I might try that but seems pretty dangerous.

Any other way?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Why first gear? You're multiplying the torque going through so that you actually are doing more to move the car than break the bolt loose.

I did it with just a big loving HF breaker bar and a shallow Craftsman socket. Put it in fifth.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
:downs: hurrr i'm an idiot, thanks i'll try that

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
and if your ebrake is weak, just have someone stand on the brakes while you're torquing away.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I did it by taking out the 4 small bolts on the pulley, buying a piece of metal from Ace Hardware and drilling one hole a little bigger. It came right off, didn't even have to use my impact.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
I hope this isn't spammy, but I finally got a chance to take some pictures and write up my ad: http://sites.google.com/site/turbomiataforsale/

How does the ad look?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
I think it looks good, but I also think it would be more forthright to post some pictures with the soft-top up to show its condition; all the pics show the hard-top, which you're selling separately.

televiper fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 12, 2010

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

televiper posted:

I think it looks good, but I also think it would be more forthright to post some pictures with the soft-top up to show its condition; all the pics show the hard-top, which you're selling separately.
Thanks; fair point. It was just laziness on my part.

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma
I have a 99 mk2 and today when selecting reverse and very slowly backing up there is a god awful squeal that I have not been able to replicate in any other gear at any other speed. Anyone any ideas?

ppdd
Jan 28, 2010
I'm REALLY jonesing for a Miata right now. Like, BAD. My wife is pregnant with our second and due in August and I really, really want to enjoy what free time I have for the rest of the summer. My plans to pick up a project BMW 2002 have fallen through and summer is wasting away.

Anyone know of a decent NA near SE Michigan? I'd like to keep it to around $2500, since this will be purely a weekend "holy crap, I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" car after August, and my E34 bimmer gets a lot of loving already.

I ain't too picky and it won't be spending much time at the track (an autocross here and there). Rust free and maintained by someone who isn't an idiot is nice, though. It'll get driven really bloody hard in an absolute blind rage fairly often, so emphasis here is on being up to snuff in the maintenance department. 1.6l's are fine.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Willie D posted:

I have a 99 mk2 and today when selecting reverse and very slowly backing up there is a god awful squeal that I have not been able to replicate in any other gear at any other speed. Anyone any ideas?

Probably the reverse lockout making noise.

There is a synchro or something that prevents my gear stick from even thinking about reverse while moving forward or backward at all. I would assume it's that.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

ppdd posted:

I'm REALLY jonesing for a Miata right now. Like, BAD.

Anyone know of a decent NA near SE Michigan? I'd like to keep it to around $2500

Rust free and maintained by someone who isn't an idiot is nice

It'll get driven really bloody hard in an absolute blind rage fairly often, so emphasis here is on being up to snuff in the maintenance department.

Tall order..

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

ppdd posted:

Anyone know of a decent NA near SE Michigan? I'd like to keep it to around $2500, Rust free and maintained by someone who isn't an idiot is nice, though.
This is a pretty funny post

ppdd
Jan 28, 2010

destructo posted:

This is a pretty funny post

LOOK MAN, IF YOU'RE GOING TO DREAM, DREAM BIG.

By rust free, I mean rust free by old BMW standards. And by well maintained I mean it smells like old car rather than my dad's underwear.

Is that better? Is there hope?

I'm open to doing a clutch or swapping a transmission to get to know the car, too. Clean car in need of clutch > basket case.

ppdd fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ppdd
Jan 28, 2010
stupid double post and poster. oops.

ppdd fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 15, 2010