Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Houdini posted:

Sorry, but I should've mentioned I've done everything to get it. It just won't unlock.

I didn't recieve it until I did a requirement for another outfit. Maybe try that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

I'm nearing the end of the game (I think) and I still can't buy the last bit of the US Army Uniform from Blackwater. When can I do that?

Not until the very last mission before you finish the game, as long as John has the Rancher outfit it stays locked.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

a 16 year old girl posted:

Not until the very last mission before you finish the game, as long as John has the Rancher outfit it stays locked.

Ah, okay. Thanks.

prostate_milk
Sep 11, 2004

I'm sick of being on "B" squad.
My Buckin' Awesome Achievement doesn't seem to want to pop. I own all three deeds for the Kentucky Saddler, the American Standardbred, and the Hungarian Half-bred. What gives?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

KlausOnFire posted:

My Buckin' Awesome Achievement doesn't seem to want to pop. I own all three deeds for the Kentucky Saddler, the American Standardbred, and the Hungarian Half-bred. What gives?
Since you get the Saddler via a story mission, it sometimes doesn't count toward the achievement. It's just a glitch. Go break another one and you should get it.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Stare-Out posted:

I'm nearing the end of the game (I think) and I still can't buy the last bit of the US Army Uniform from Blackwater. When can I do that?

After you complete all the story missions for that area (so essentially the main game), just like you had to complete all the "Act II" Mexico story missions to be able to buy the Reyes' Rebel scrap from the Escalera general store. Not that the loving game tells you this. I think the irritation at finding out poo poo out on your own way late that the game could've told you up front is way more offensive to me than the myriad (but often comical) bugs.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Beelzebozo posted:

I think the irritation at finding out poo poo out on your own way late that the game could've told you up front is way more offensive to me than the myriad (but often comical) bugs.
They could even just not show it in the store until you can actually purchase it. They certainly have the ability to trigger that, so I am not sure why they did not. It tells you where it will be in the requirements so it is not like you have to find it on your own.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Duelling is really getting on my nerves. I want to disarm people as part of doing an honourable thing so I can get the achievement that is full honour and full fame simultaneously so I can get on with being an rear end. Is there no way to just tag one shot and be done? I want one shot to take the gun out the other guy's hand.

Also, does that achievement require you to have full / empty honour and full fame at the same time, or could you do it separately?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Gazmachine posted:

Duelling is really getting on my nerves. I want to disarm people as part of doing an honourable thing so I can get the achievement that is full honour and full fame simultaneously so I can get on with being an rear end. Is there no way to just tag one shot and be done? I want one shot to take the gun out the other guy's hand.

Also, does that achievement require you to have full / empty honour and full fame at the same time, or could you do it separately?

You don't lose honor in duels, just don't worry about it.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I got the Man of Honor / Chivalry's Dead achievement quite early. Around 75%, and I've killed every guy I've duelled (six so far, besides the actor) so don't worry about it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Gazmachine posted:

You just aim for the hand.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Kaddish posted:

You just aim for the hand.

Six times?

Oh and that's cool about not getting extra honour for it, I'll just shoot the fuckers. Would be nice to one shot them though, instead of overkilling everyone I meet.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Gazmachine posted:

If you hit the hand correctly it takes the shot right away and ends the duel.

While the achievement requires maxed honour and fame at the same time, it is the same achievement to have maximum negative honour and fame so you could have just taken the 'being an rear end' route to the goal instead.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Gazmachine posted:

Just tag them once in the hand, gun, or forearm with a perfect white X shot and it'll be over. That said, if you're doing it for a story or stranger mission, you CANNOT win by disarm unless the game explicitly tells you to, so don't try it. :(

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Gazmachine posted:

Six times?
If you aim for the gun, it only takes one because you automatically win. If you click the arm or the hand instead, you will need to fill up the meter.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Crows Turn Off posted:

If you aim for the gun, it only takes one because you automatically win. If you click the arm or the hand instead, you will need to fill up the meter.

Can you shoot the gun out of the holster? Because I can't quite seem to get the timing right as the opponent takes it out and end up dead before I can shoot it out of his hand.

I'm not good with gunfights. :(

Edit: I really wish there was a way to practice this consistently other than 'win or die in a random event.'

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 10, 2010

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

Can you shoot the gun out of the holster?
I think you can click on the gun before he pulls it out of the holster, but it doesn't actually fire until he pulls it out.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Yes if you hit the gun/arm in the right way you'll instantly win. However, it will be the last shot you take because it will end the duel immediately. So, what you have to do is get both legs/knees first. That way, after the duel you can watch him shake his bloody hand for a few seconds before suddenly crumpling to the ground like he has the case of the vapors.

Lead vapors :clint:

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Keep in mind though that a disarming shot, if done correctly, will instantly win a duel unless the duel happens to be one of the story duels that can only be won lethally. Oh by the way this is another of the two dozen things the game never bothers to tell you.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Crows Turn Off posted:

If you click the arm or the hand instead, you will need to fill up the meter.
Nah. I always end my random duels with a single shot to the forearm because it's easier to hit than the gun. It works just fine. :)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The final shot in the single player campaign is such a Hugo Stiglitz moment. Can't get enough of it, despite all the hatred thrown at it.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

isk posted:

The final shot in the single player campaign is such a Hugo Stiglitz moment. Can't get enough of it, despite all the hatred thrown at it.

15 Mauser bullets right into his head, all with the most satisfied sneer on my face

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I did a bounty mission in Mexico. Turned in my target alive in Chuparosa, with maxed out honor and no bounty on my own head. I got the handshake and the "I'm glad you're doing my job for me" line. Then at the exact moment the game gives me control again (when the guitar twang plays) the guy who I delivered the bounty to instantly whips out a shotgun and gives me both barrels for no apparent reason. DEAD. Had to do the bounty mission again too, as apparently it hadn't finished auto-saving in that split-second between completing the mission and getting the buckshot enema.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Penpal posted:

15 Mauser bullets right into his head, all with the most satisfied sneer on my face

The only proper way to kill Ross is with the High-Powered Pistol. It's just so poetic, and a perfect end-cap to the game's story.

Just because it has 7 less shots doesn't mean it isn't just as awesome. :clint:

Robot Hobo posted:

I did a bounty mission in Mexico. Turned in my target alive in Chuparosa, with maxed out honor and no bounty on my own head. I got the handshake and the "I'm glad you're doing my job for me" line. Then at the exact moment the game gives me control again (when the guitar twang plays) the guy who I delivered the bounty to instantly whips out a shotgun and gives me both barrels for no apparent reason. DEAD. Had to do the bounty mission again too, as apparently it hadn't finished auto-saving in that split-second between completing the mission and getting the buckshot enema.

I had to redo my first Blackwater bounty despite the auto-save after I turned in the prisoner when I went to catch a guy that had robbed the general store. I rode up to him fast and ended up right beside him when I had my lasso out, so he turned around and opened up both barrels of his shotgun into me. v:v:v

RedneckwithGuns fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 10, 2010

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Maybe I should have, but I didn't see the end of "I Know You" coming. Very cool.

Something else very cool: using throwing knives to take down Federales without getting a wanted level. I was in Casa Madrugada after a mission, and I saw a Federale murder an innocent woman and then ride off. I was going to chase the guy down, but I lost sight of him, and then I noticed a Fed in a stagecoach followed by two on horseback. Not wanting to risk the two in back seeing me, I waiting until they passed and took aim at the guy in the rear with a throwing knife. I managed to get a clean throw right into his head, and before the other guy could even turn around to investigate I threw another at the second and hit him in the face.

Completely got away with it too, with no witnesses. :clint:

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Didn't see how throwing knives fitted into the old west until I watched Fistful of Dollars today. Now I use 'em all the time.

I must repeat, blind firing them round a corner into government scum's face is the single best thing to do in the game. It looks ace. Go do it now.

Musclebabe
Jun 24, 2008

I want your slide trombone in my brass section
Going to be on tonight, GT: LowParts if anyone is up for some hideout runs after 9 pm est.

General Dire
Apr 24, 2008

doom posted:

So has anyone else run into invisible npc's ("ghosts") in Tumbleweed's mansion? I was down there for the treasure hunter quest and literally bumped into one.

These ghost NPCs are completely intentional the second newspaper you buy says that there have been reports that the mansion is haunted, so its 100% intentional and not despawned NPCs or whatever the hell people were saying it was.:ms:

Grishka
Jun 4, 2010

With the mic in my hands
I'm a bad man
Even in a fight with the hands
I'm a bad man
Livin in the streets all my life
I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man

isk posted:

Voice over: The reason for Marston's rise to fame is that, as a known outlaw, he killed thirteen Federal Bureau G-men.

*FBI agent getting dragged behind a horse*
WORK YE drat NAG!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

isk posted:

Seriously, I loving loved the way the end played out, but that's because I basically did that whole Stranger mission as soon as the setup for it happened, and had already completed everything else prior to the endgame, so it just came together SO well.

On a total aside, I wonder what ends up happening to Landon Ricketts? Out of all the other characters in the game, I think he was my favorite... maybe tied with the Marshall, but we didn't really get to see enough of the Marshall... then again we didn't really get to see much of Ricketts, either.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Seriously, I loving loved the way the end played out, but that's because I basically did that whole Stranger mission as soon as the setup for it happened, and had already completed everything else prior to the endgame, so it just came together SO well.

On a total aside, I wonder what ends up happening to Landon Ricketts? Out of all the other characters in the game, I think he was my favorite... maybe tied with the Marshall, but we didn't really get to see enough of the Marshall... then again we didn't really get to see much of Ricketts, either.

You read about it in a newspaper: Ricketts dies of old age, and the Marshal retires.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Let me tell all of you who are happily nowhere near the end:

Do some bounty missions once in a while between missions. It's good for you. It's also loving boring waiting for more bounties to pop up, and I still have like eight to go.

Ugh. Why can't someone put those posters up while you're away from town? I mean, I can see what Rockstar is going for there, the whole *sheriff puts up wanted poster* *worn out cowboy rips poster from wall, squints at the windy desert showing no emotion* thing or whatever, but sometimes it takes ages for one to appear.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Can someone tell me what happens when you do the first bit of "I Know You" and choose to either help or stop the guy from hiring the services of a prostitute? I was going to pick the good route, but ended up picking the "pay the guy" route instead and got a comment from the Stranger on the next leg of the quest line.

What does the Stranger say when you go the "good route"? That's what I am asking.

Thanks in advance.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
Stranger: I hope my son grows up just like you.
John: Fer his sake, I hope he don't.
Stranger: <laughs> You're a curious man, John. You kill so easily, and yet you respect the sanctity of marriage.

I'm probably missing a line or two, but the delivery is awesome. I Know You is great. A shame he only shows up three times before the story's through, but at least he's not getting hamhandedly being shoved into your face around every corner. It's a nice piece of subtlety in a game that doesn't do 'subtle' all too well :v:

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!
Well, I am now officially Redeemed. gently caress, Five Finger Fillet in Torquemada to get the last outfit almost drove me nuts.

aliencowboy posted:

As for the endgame, I think it was one of the most sobering, bittersweet endings to a video game since Mafia.

I totally agree. Finished it a couple of days ago and still find myself thinking about it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Fuzz posted:

The marshall has by far my favorite mission in the game when you go to the McFarlane Ranch and see the guy hanging in the barn naked and try to find out who did it. Just a level of mystique and horror that had not been seen up to that point.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Hey You Pifuckyou! posted:

Let me tell all of you who are happily nowhere near the end:

Do some bounty missions once in a while between missions. It's good for you. It's also loving boring waiting for more bounties to pop up, and I still have like eight to go.

Ugh. Why can't someone put those posters up while you're away from town? I mean, I can see what Rockstar is going for there, the whole *sheriff puts up wanted poster* *worn out cowboy rips poster from wall, squints at the windy desert showing no emotion* thing or whatever, but sometimes it takes ages for one to appear.

They reset every day about 7am. Do one, save 2-3 times to get to or past 7am the next day, do it again.

Shadowborn posted:

Well, I am now officially Redeemed. gently caress, Five Finger Fillet in Torquemada to get the last outfit almost drove me nuts.

Yeah once I finished that I actually got pretty good at it, it just takes a couple practice sessions to figure it out. Not as hard as horseshoes, though the only challenge you have to do involving that isn't tough. But it's hard to be consistently good at.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 10, 2010

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bounties are a pretty nice alternative to the dumb minigames Rockstar likes to shove into all their games these days as filler and time-killers. At least most of the minigames in RDR are, you know, games that actually translate well into videogame form. Plus if you get tired of bounties there's always hunting to fall back on. And the silent movies are pretty amusing, if a little overdone ("My heavens, what foul evil hath bedeviled my betrothed?").

VV Oh, I didn't know you meant "after the endgame". Yeah, I'd imagine that could get pretty boring. Maybe you could see if you can hogtie an entire settlement before the next bounty without getting killed or arrested.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 10, 2010

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Tewratomeh posted:

Bounties are a pretty nice alternative to the dumb minigames Rockstar likes to shove into all their games these days as filler and time-killers. At least most of the minigames in RDR are, you know, games that actually translate well into videogame form. Plus if you get tired of bounties there's always hunting to fall back on. And the silent movies are pretty amusing, if a little overdone ("My heavens, what foul evil hath bedeviled my betrothed?").

What I meant was that if you're aiming for 100%, it's pretty agonizing when the only thing you have left is ten bounties and you have to stand around waiting for them. Doing bounty missions is fun, waiting for a poster to be put up isn't.

The movies are great. I'm hoping for more movies with new patches, since there seems to be only two...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

What I meant was that if you're aiming for 100%, it's pretty agonizing when the only thing you have left is ten bounties and you have to stand around waiting for them. Doing bounty missions is fun, waiting for a poster to be put up isn't.
So, as someone said, do one, then go sleep for like 18 hours, then go back and do another one.

• Locked thread