Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Zool posted:

What exactly is this sort of race called? Endurocross? Hare Scramble?
Harescramble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Anybody with track bodywork mounted on their bikes - especially SV's (Ahem, Z3N?) - I've got a question regarding it. I just picked up a cheap, well-used set of bodywork to put on my 1st gen. I believe it is older hotbodies GSX-R bodywork, and it mounted just fine using a fairing stay that the seller provided.

The bodywork didn't QUITE see eye-to-eye (hah) with the stock SVS fairing brackets, but I expected this and fabricated a couple mounts for the sides of the upper fairing (more precisely, I made some spacers out of PVC because the GSX-R bodywork was wider than the SV). Currently, the bodywork is mounted to the ears of the fairing stay, the nose of the fairing stay, one fairing bracket on each side of the bike's frame, and that's it.

It feels pretty stable, and I was able to leave my frame sliders on with a few minor dremel alterations. My question is: The lowers (mounted to the uppers only) have a good bit of play, moving side-to-side 3 - 4 inches when pushed. Is this...normal, or at least acceptable? I'm not sure if this stuff is supposed to be locked down tight, or what.

Now to find a race tail!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd recommend 2 things...first is that you rig up 2 mounts out of bent metal for the bottom rear of the belly pan. My bike had one bracket mounted on the inside of the exhaust bracket on the right rear of the bike, and the other mounted where the kickstand attaches.

The other thing is that you should set up your fasteners/etc so that there's a small amount of tension on the fairings. It'll help stop them from rattling and keep them secure. Just so that you have to gently move things into place to get everything to line up. If they're allowed to rattle they'll beat themselves up and eventually pull through dzus fastners and stuff. Obviously, you don't want to have to stretch them all super hard or anything, just enough to keep some mild tension on the fairings.

In order to attach the mids, I used U shaped brackets paired with hose clamps...the hose clamp went around the frame, one side of the U went into the hose clamp, and the other side was drilled for a dzus fastener. Helped me move things around to line them up with the pre-existing holes in the fairings.

Also, if you're going to be riding aggressively, some of the GSX-R fairings are really wide at the bottom and you will drag the front of them at heavy lean angles, so make sure you've got a little flex in there just in case...the 916 fairings I ran were narrow and I never had that problem.

Are you handy with fiberglass repair? I think I still have a few race tails kicking around if you want one...

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 20, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I finally got some decent track rubber on the way. Ordered those Dunlop 209GPAs the trackdaystore was running on special that I mentioned earlier -- two rears and a front for $329. Except it wasn't 329 because they charged loving 46 bucks for shipping :saddowns:. It's still a good price on the tires but that kinda irritates me.

I'm going to give them a shot without warmers at first due to the responses here. If they show up before the weekend I'll get them mounted and go to Autobahn with STT. If not, I'll have to wait till June 9th or possibly June 20th before I'll be able to run them :)

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Yayyyyy first track day, although I am kinda pissed that the photographer only snapped 2 of the 6 sessions and those 2 were the first loving sessions where everyone in B group was going very slow...well I will rant later here are the pics which I will only probably buy one out of:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto.asp?evgroupid=0&userid=eventphotonow&gallery_id=2080107&image_id=23&pos=24

There were ~15 new riders and slow corners were bunched up to no end. As the day progressed (minus the session in the rain) things picked up or people dropped out and there was a lot more space but man cramming nearly 50 riders on the track the first few sessions was brutal.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

schreibs posted:

Yayyyyy first track day, although I am kinda pissed that the photographer only snapped 2 of the 6 sessions and those 2 were the first loving sessions where everyone in B group was going very slow...well I will rant later here are the pics which I will only probably buy one out of:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto.asp?evgroupid=0&userid=eventphotonow&gallery_id=2080107&image_id=23&pos=24

There were ~15 new riders and slow corners were bunched up to no end. As the day progressed (minus the session in the rain) things picked up or people dropped out and there was a lot more space but man cramming nearly 50 riders on the track the first few sessions was brutal.

drat, that is a ton of people for a run group. I thought STT running at Autobahn north was bad, and there were... 37? riders/CRs in our group. But, that track is pretty freakin short.

LOOK WHAT SHOWED UP TODAY!!!

:parrot::woop::parrot:

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Did a track day at New Jersey Motorsports park back at the begging of this month.

Was hugely fun. Track was much nicer than Im used to riding on. Also people on the east coast seem to have more money than sense. I was flying by high powered Ducatis and Gsxr's all day in the intermediate group. Got a few puzzled looks as I passed by people who were on much faster bikes than my lowly sv650.

Also it rained for the first half of the day, which actually turned out to be a real blast. I goosed the throttle real good at the end of a fast corner and the bike got loose and tried to buck me off. After that I was a lot less scared of traction limits since I had discovered them easily by applying large doses of throttle

Click here for the full 2039x1359 image.

Click here for the full 2039x1359 image.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Anyone in SoCal interested in SOWS June 27th?

http://trackdaz.com/ti/trackdaz/catgroup.html?category=27%20June%202010%20%40%20Streets%20of%20Willow%20Springs

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

yummycheese posted:

Did a track day at New Jersey Motorsports park back at the begging of this month.

Was hugely fun. Track was much nicer than Im used to riding on. Also people on the east coast seem to have more money than sense. I was flying by high powered Ducatis and Gsxr's all day in the intermediate group. Got a few puzzled looks as I passed by people who were on much faster bikes than my lowly sv650.

Also it rained for the first half of the day, which actually turned out to be a real blast. I goosed the throttle real good at the end of a fast corner and the bike got loose and tried to buck me off. After that I was a lot less scared of traction limits since I had discovered them easily by applying large doses of throttle

Whoa, are you 6'5" or something? You're dwarfing that bike.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

6'4

Its made even worse what with the no fairings.
I love my little sv though. Its a blast to muscle the thing around all day.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I will be doing a trackday here in about 5 hours.

:parrot:

:suicide:

edit: maybe it'll all have gone past by then, one can only hope.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Double postin up in this bitch.

I was keeping an eye (more like mashing f5 repeatedly) on NWS the night before and I was this close to sending an email to cancel. I ended up saying gently caress it, everything is loaded, if it rains it rains. Looking at the radar before I left I was a little worried but it looked like everything was going south so if it did rain we'd at least have a good chunk of clear weather in the afternoon. It ended up being absolutely perfect. Not a drop of rain on the track, mostly sunny, ~80F. Nicest weather I've had at a trackday so far.

Skill progression wise I was very happy. DEFINITELY carrying more corner speed...

:hellyeah::dance::hellyeah:

I was actually dragging my peg feeler in t14 pretty bad a couple times, and had it scrape in 7/8 once. I changed my body position a bit and bam, no more scraped pegs and I finally got a knee down. It's a squiddy thing to be excited about but damned if it didn't have me yelling "gently caress YEAH!" in my helmet the first time it hit the deck! I was consistently getting it down in t1, t3, t7/t8, and t14. Obviously need to work on 5/6. I lose a lot of time there. I was getting hammered through the chicanes too, I can't believe how fast the quick guys get through there. Talking with them after a session of getting passed by a group of them and seeing their lines through there, they barely brake before entering both t9 and t12, use the transition to the second turn of the chicane to brake a little before flipping it over to the left. Unbelievable. I still need to work on my corner entry speed but it's definitely getting better. One of the best "moments" of the day was braking a little less into t1 and actually flicking it down straight to my knee. Felt freakin awesome!

I'm getting much more comfortable passing and getting passed. There was a big disparity in speed between riders out there which made things a little interesting, but overall traffic was pretty light. There was only one "incident" the entire day, single rider involved and he just rode off track. No serious damage to him or the bike. I wish I had rented a transponder. Last time I was out at MAM I was running in the 1:51s. I'm going to get a timer on the video I took and get an idea about what kind of laps I was turning this time... if I had to guess i would say I got down to the 1:47-1:48 range give or take.

The D209GPAs stuck great. I now know why everyone was telling me to go to a true track tire. Holy poo poo what a difference. They were loving amazing and I only felt them slip a little once, when they probably weren't up to temp. You need some serious restraint to run race tires without warmers :(.

The organizer of the day thought it was a hot tear, possibly too much rebound damping. Clayton (big, really fast dude on a 848) thought it was cold tearing. I don't know what the hell it is. Went back through the Dave Moss video on tire wear and I would tend to agree with Clayton. Seems like a cold tear. There really isn't much buildup on the leading or trailing edges of the sipes, I think rebound is pretty close. I did some digging around and apparently I was running the tires a couple psi high according to my gauge, which I have no idea how accurate it is. The tire was quite hot to the touch coming off the track though. They were all Bridgestone people anyway and didn't have any experience with Dunlops. The track photog made it out later in the day, I think he got some good shots of me... can't wait to see them.

Anyway, great day and I can't wait for the Ducati demo weekend at the end of the month!

fake edit: jesus gently caress :words:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Getting a knee down is like losing your virginity. Good or bad, you'll never forget it. :v:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

needknees posted:

I was keeping an eye (more like mashing f5 repeatedly) on NWS the night before
I can't be the only one that read that as, "I was keeping an eye (more like mashing f5 repeatedly) on :nws: the night before"

Changes the story quite a bit - for the better, I think.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Doing another track day at the end of June with
http://www.tonystrackdays.com/

Would be neat to see some other goons from the east coast. Im in Boston and its quite a drive down to New Jersey. Its one of the AMA Superbike tracks. So you can ride it and feel all smug like your one of the pro's I know I will.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I wish I had money to do trackdays right now. There's a 2 day track day at barber right now for loving $315. That price includes both days, lunch both days, refreshments all day long (water, soda, gatorade, light snacks), suspension setup help from Ohlins factory, and tire services from Bridgestone.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I wish I had money to do trackdays right now. There's a 2 day track day at barber right now for loving $315. That price includes both days, lunch both days, refreshments all day long (water, soda, gatorade, light snacks), suspension setup help from Ohlins factory, and tire services from Bridgestone.

I bet you could get at least 315$ for the non-running shitbox you've got floating around that's been sitting for the last 15 years. You'd also get a hell of a lot more mileage out of your bike in those 2 days on the track than you will out of the rotting carcass in the next 5 years.

:v:

That's a drat good deal on a trackday at a nice track. Who the hell does Ohlins factory support out there?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

That's a drat good deal on a trackday at a nice track. Who the hell does Ohlins factory support out there?

No idea, it just says Ohlins factory support.
BMP has full electricity at all of the pit stalls; $25 for the weekend to use it. That's gotta be about the same price as running a generator on $2.50 gas for the weekend with the bonus of no generator noise.
Talladega Grand Prix has a weekend trackday the same weekend for $180 for both days. You don't get all the nice stuff like lunch and refreshments and such and the track is flat and all left turns, but still.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

No idea, it just says Ohlins factory support.
BMP has full electricity at all of the pit stalls; $25 for the weekend to use it. That's gotta be about the same price as running a generator on $2.50 gas for the weekend with the bonus of no generator noise.
Talladega Grand Prix has a weekend trackday the same weekend for $180 for both days. You don't get all the nice stuff like lunch and refreshments and such and the track is flat and all left turns, but still.

Miller has the same setup. So does Infineon...although their wiring is old and poo poo, so good luck running multiple sets of tire warmers if you're sharing a garage with someone.

Everything is so stupid cheap out there, garage prices are 2-3x that out here. :(

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

yummycheese posted:

Doing another track day at the end of June with
http://www.tonystrackdays.com/

Would be neat to see some other goons from the east coast. Im in Boston and its quite a drive down to New Jersey. Its one of the AMA Superbike tracks. So you can ride it and feel all smug like your one of the pro's I know I will.

I'm an East Coaster but am planning on using Penguin Racing School, I hear good stuff about them from my local shop full of racers.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

That looks pretty cool

Im pretty sure my next bike is going to be a full on race bike. Id like to get started racing instead of doing just the track days. Hopefully next summer :)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

frozenphil posted:

I would try to scrounge up whatever money you can and get your rear end out there for at least one day. Jesus that's cheap for Barber. I really, really want to ride that track but it's quite a haul for me :(.

Same type of invite as yummycheese, if anyone in the midwest is thinking about getting out to a trackday, POST ABOUT IT! I've been hitting MAM quite a bit because it's the closest to me, but if we got a group of goons together that wanted to go somewhere else I would be game.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

frozenphil posted:

Barber & Talladega GP track days

If your ever headed to one of these let me know. Those are two of the closer tracks to me. I've run Tally once and plan on running Barber in the end of June.

Yay for selling the track car to fund track days :)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

needknees posted:

I would try to scrounge up whatever money you can and get your rear end out there for at least one day. Jesus that's cheap for Barber. I really, really want to ride that track but it's quite a haul for me :(.

It's only a day trip from Illinois.

NitroSpazzz posted:

If your ever headed to one of these let me know. Those are two of the closer tracks to me. I've run Tally once and plan on running Barber in the end of June.

Yay for selling the track car to fund track days :)

July 10th and 11th is the Barber event I was talking about. Email xacttech2000@yahoo.com if you want more info.

I won't be able to do a track day until my wife gets a job. :(

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
Anyone interested in a Sportbike Track Time 2-day at Road Atlanta, July 3-4?

$355 for the weekend, I believe 7 sessions Saturday and 6 sessions Sunday.

STT apparently runs the crazy old T11/12 downhill sweeper, instead of the slower new motorcycle config AMA, NESBA, etc. runs. Some racers got hurt slamming into the concrete wall at the bottom of the hill along the front straight and they changed it up last year. I've been hearing about how much fun the old config was from people at trackdays.

lokigoesrawr fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 10, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

frozenphil posted:

It's only a day trip from Illinois.

I'm in Iowa, it's ~850 miles from me to Birmingham. I don't think I could make that work :(.

lokiegoesrawr posted:

Anyone interested in a Sportbike Track Time 2-day at Road Atlanta, July 3-4?

RA is even further away :(

I'd be down for the following tracks:

MidAmerica - Pacific Junction, IA
Motorsports Park Hastings - Hastings, NE
Autobahn CC - Joliet, IL
Blackhawk Farms - South Beloit, IL
Putnam - Mt Meridian, IN
Road America - Elkhart Lake, WI
Heartland Park - Topeka, KS

Or anything else in that region. Sounds like NESBA is going to step up and actually run the event they canceled at Iowa Speedway in Newton at the end of july... if that happens I'm definitely doing that one, gently caress it's only ~35 minutes away!

Potentially Grattan raceway and Mid-Ohio

And if anyone is in NM I'm actually going to go down there to see a friend's new place/ride at the end of August. We're talking about hitting a trackday at Sandia Raceway on Aug 21. Everything is still tentative but very likely.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

frozenphil posted:

Holy gently caress. Do you know how many slots are left? Might have to snag 2 advances and a novice.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

-Inu- posted:

Holy gently caress. Do you know how many slots are left? Might have to snag 2 advances and a novice.

Email xacttech2000@yahoo.com and ask him. His company is putting on the track day. I'm not sure if you need to mention you're "from" alsportbike.com or not, don't think so but it couldn't hurt.

Edit: I forgot to add, be very sure about the skills of whoever is requesting those advanced class tickets before buying them. Advanced class at Barber is usually nothing but WERA racers. If you aren't turning consistent 1:3x lap times (Matt Mladin holds the record at 1:25.047) then you might want to bump down to I or you're going to get run over all day long.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 11, 2010

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
poo poo, now I need to find a beater SV. I'm dead scared of wadding up a bike I still owe on. :lol:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

First sunny weekend in Seattle in like 6 weeks and there's no supermoto at the track this weekend so asshats in civics can have a loving drift competition. DRIFT WHEN IT RAINS FUCKERS. God damnit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Email xacttech2000@yahoo.com and ask him. His company is putting on the track day. I'm not sure if you need to mention you're "from" alsportbike.com or not, don't think so but it couldn't hurt.

Edit: I forgot to add, be very sure about the skills of whoever is requesting those advanced class tickets before buying them. Advanced class at Barber is usually nothing but WERA racers. If you aren't turning consistent 1:3x lap times (Matt Mladin holds the record at 1:25.047) then you might want to bump down to I or you're going to get run over all day long.

From the stance of an A group rider, I don't care how slow or fast people are, as long as their lines are decent and they don't mind getting strafed. It's a trackday, not a race weekend (doesn't apply on friday practices before race weekends). I'd rather have a guy who's slower but consistent than a guy who's faster but all over the goddamn place.

Although you should be running with ~15-20 seconds of the lap record in your bike's class as a general A group rule of thumb, but consistency, especially with high closing speeds, is far more important than overall pace.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Spiffness posted:

First sunny weekend in Seattle in like 6 weeks and there's no supermoto at the track this weekend so ... civics can have a loving drift competition.

Civics + drift.... does not compute...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Raven457 posted:

Civics + drift.... does not compute...

ya I dunno, probably be some other type of 4 wheeled things. I'm not good with cars. I just want my drat supermoto track to be full of supermotos on supermoto saturday like it's supposed to be.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I thought super moto racing is essentially a drift competition.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

I thought super moto racing is essentially a drift competition.

Never change, JTS. :allears:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, both of the advanced slots I had in mind have ran that group at Barber before. Turns out one of them is going to Road A the weekend before though and the other one is broke as hell so we'll be sitting barber out. Oh well.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Did you ride through a beehive?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
that looks pretty clean for the midwest. After a day of riding around in south-west Wisconsin, I have to chip the layers of bugs off my bike with a chisel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

Did you ride through a beehive?

Pretty much what Tsaven said. There's always a shitload of bugs around here until we get a hard freeze in the fall to kill most of the little bastards off. There were some huge bugs hanging around at the end of the straight, I couldn't figure out what they were. Maybe some kind of dragonfly? They made a hell of a splat when you hit them at 160mph though :haw:

Edit:
To illustrate the whole "shitload of bugs everywhere" thing, this is a picture I took after a 380mi ride. The bike was squeaky clean before I left:

I changed visors mid way through the trip and I could barely loving see once I got there.

needknees fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 13, 2010

• Locked thread