Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

Shrapnac posted:

The idea of a flat back four with wingbacks hasn't really caught on yet.

probably because it's just high school soccer and the majority of coaches are also the kids math teachers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dear Sergio posted:

probably because it's just high school soccer and the majority of coaches are also the kids math teachers.

Actually, they're usually gym teachers. :colbert:

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

yeah that too but you get what i mean.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

CAMiasm posted:

i had a pretty awesome save today

we were up 2-1 with the clock winding down in the 2nd half. their striker gets some space at the top of the 18.. i'm about 8 yds out after coming out for another reason a few seconds earlier. so he takes a low shot, and i hear their fans celebrate. i dive to my right fully extended and stop the ball dead with my finger tips! i hear their fans groan and my teammates scream. i pull the ball toward me and let my team push back up the field. i unleash a mega-punt that goes out of bounds at the other touchline. the ref blows the whistle and we win! :woop:

Those saves rule, its a great feeling.

When I play out on the pitch, I tend to be an attacking mid/striker, since I am pretty good at crossing and can use both feet pretty well (although naturally lefty).

I am thinking about trying to learn some nice tricks to get round people, since at the moment my entire repertoire is 'slow down, nudge ball one way, nudge other way past them and then sprint after it' which works pretty well since I have a lot of burst speed and can use both sides of both feet.

What 'staples' do you dribbling geniuses always seem to use the most?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Alctel posted:

Those saves rule, its a great feeling.

When I play out on the pitch, I tend to be an attacking mid/striker, since I am pretty good at crossing and can use both feet pretty well (although naturally lefty).

I am thinking about trying to learn some nice tricks to get round people, since at the moment my entire repertoire is 'slow down, nudge ball one way, nudge other way past them and then sprint after it' which works pretty well since I have a lot of burst speed and can use both sides of both feet.

knee high tackle.

I hate dribbling cunts.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

Oh Em Gee posted:

knee high tackle.

I hate dribbling cunts.

how dare they possess skills, they deserve to be injured.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Alctel posted:

Step-overs really aren't hard at all to learn but they're difficult for defenders to judge. Learn them with both feet and bringing your foot over the ball both clockwise and counterclockwise and then the ball goes in the opposite direction your foot went.

Really though if you're running at a defender at pace all you need to do is get him to lean one direction or the other and you have him beaten, or he's going to foul you.

Videos of Fat Ronaldo are good for seeing stuff that he does with his body but never touches the ball and defenders quite literally fall over.

The video is lovely but this is what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EeC-F7A7a8

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Oh Em Gee posted:

Wait, Americans still use SWEEPERS in high school? Tactically that's a bit outdated.

Pretty sure 3-5-2 is the staple at youth level in Germany too. Chile, New Zealand and Mexico are all going to the World Cup with a back 3 and Greece use it too when appropriate. It's only outdated against single strikers and a wide 4-3-3 but at youth level where 4-4-2 with a big guy little guy front pairing predominates (especially in England) it works fine, and there are plenty of examples in Serie A too. Not sure if German youth football has arrived at that to respond to 4-4-2 or just because people want to emulate Beckenbauer and Matthäus though.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Fuckin' A, just won the division championship. Sweet.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Played two games last night, won both.

Sat in front of the defense in the first game because we were playing one of the stronger teams in the league. They've got enough good players that they generally just leave a player forward for the quick counter off of a goal keeper throw. Swept up really nicely, broke forward a few times and generally kept it really tight. Final score was 4-3, but that sounds closer than it really was, we conceded a goal with about 10 seconds left. Probably one of the best team performances we've ever put out, probably had something to do with our best group all turning up and none of the flaky unreliable players showing.

Filled in for another team in the second game, won 7-4 after being down 4-2 at half time. Scored one, maybe two but the dubious goals panel would have credited it as an own goal.

We're in a finals spot now, we've put in some pretty strong performances the last few weeks against the top three teams for a win and two really competitive, close losses.

Playing three times a week has made me about twice as good a player in 6 months I reckon.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dear Sergio posted:

how dare they possess skills, they deserve to be injured.

Hey! Viscious career-ending tackles are a skill too. Just ask Vinnie Jones.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Torn meniscus :sigh:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Is anyone here interested in joining a 6v6 outdoor rec league team in Chicago?

Alternatively, does anyone have a rec league team in Chicago that could use a few more dudes in their 30s who will show up every week, even when injured?

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

CaptainRightful posted:

Is anyone here interested in joining a 6v6 outdoor rec league team in Chicago?

Alternatively, does anyone have a rec league team in Chicago that could use a few more dudes in their 30s who will show up every week, even when injured?

In the city itself? What's the skill level like, I've been looking for a team in my area, but I'm a little bit rubbish.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Dr. Platypus posted:

In the city itself? What's the skill level like, I've been looking for a team in my area, but I'm a little bit rubbish.

Have you ever played in a Player Sports Group league? This one is co-ed and definitely rec-level, but we play on a decent little turf field on the North Side (Kilbourn Park). We're just finishing up the first summer season (Sunday morning/afternoons) and I'd say the league has as many players over 30 as under. "A little bit rubbish" could be our team motto since we have a knack for losing games by 1 goal.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I'm not playing this week to let my back heal. This loving sucks.

Does anyone play in North New Jersey??

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Such a frustrating kickabout last night, we had 6 on 6, I told the manager I'd stay in defense in the first half. I was pretty much a rock, I'm pretty sure we didn't concede at all. I was sticking close to their striker (my bf :v:) at all times ready to cut out passes or just put pressure on. I went in goals for a while then and kept things organised, a few times everyone ran forward (despite me shouting at them not to), but we made it through then took a quick break.

Swapped sides then and I said to the manager I was going to go up front. Well, we pretty much fell apart. There was never anyone back when we got the ball, so if we lost it they would just hoof it up to their man up front, who regularly just had the keeper to beat. It was ridiculous, I know it wasn't a serious match but just because we're in the offseason doesn't mean we should be just relaxing, especially since 9 of us will be playing a tournament in July/August. One thing that really hit me last night is that we have a lot of players who are good at football, but they seriously have no sense of positioning when we're not in possession, or any sort of defensive-mindedness, and it's probably what kills us the most when we're actually playing competitively. I don't feel like I should be the one bringing it up since I'm not exactly brilliant, and I still feel like I'm the new guy on the team. It just seems to me that the more talented players should be better at marking than they are.

Also right at the end I landed awkwardly on my knee and hosed it up again, so that put me in a really bad mood. Hello, a week or two out injured.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I'm not playing this week to let my back heal. This loving sucks.

Does anyone play in North New Jersey??

A buddy of mine plays 11 v 11 near the Oranges. I go up occasionally and pretend to be on his team so I can get games in. Its filled with douchebags who make nasty plays when your backs to them.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

PhillyLucky posted:

A buddy of mine plays 11 v 11 near the Oranges. I go up occasionally and pretend to be on his team so I can get games in. Its filled with douchebags who make nasty plays when your backs to them.

ah, they probably pick up some of those pains in the rear end from Ironbound in Newark and Kearny and such. Always a bunch of cockbags there.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Any thoughts on how to heal torn skin on your foot quickly? I hadn't played in a couple months and I played a full game of 5 a side last night and the area on the bottom of my foot right behind the toes has some nasty abrasions on it. I put some ointment on it last night and they started to heal over night, but Im wondering if you guys know of anything that'll help speed it up.

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

GravityDaemon posted:

Any thoughts on how to heal torn skin on your foot quickly? I hadn't played in a couple months and I played a full game of 5 a side last night and the area on the bottom of my foot right behind the toes has some nasty abrasions on it. I put some ointment on it last night and they started to heal over night, but Im wondering if you guys know of anything that'll help speed it up.

Apply 3-5 layers of New-Skin, it's a godsend.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

WhaleFarmerJohn posted:

Apply 3-5 layers of New-Skin, it's a godsend.

Thought you were joking with the name, but looked it up anyway. Sounds perfect! Thanks!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

GravityDaemon posted:

Thought you were joking with the name, but looked it up anyway. Sounds perfect! Thanks!

Sometimes bandages just don't work, sometimes bandages just don't stick, sometimes bandages just won't dooooooooooo! That's when New Skin is there for you!

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Alctel posted:

I am no dribbling genius, but I like to let somebody come at me, roll the ball behind me slightly, tap it to the left (with my right foot) to send the would-be tackler that way, then scoop it back to my right with my left foot in front of me again before sprinting away. looks pretty cocky and it's easy to do. Although, like you, I tend to rely on my speed because that's pretty much the only thing I have going for me. :)

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Well I finally scored a goal in my last match before I return to America. After coming back from an early deficit we went on a goal scoring rampage and put up 5 unanswered goals. With about 30 seconds left in the match their goalie was playing close to midfield and the other striker booted it over his head. Right before it was about to go in I redirected it with my head. Was it a cheap way to get a goal? Yeah, but he had already scored earlier so I feel justified.

Now I just have to find a league in San Antonio where I can play. I went about 8 years in between when I quit in high school to now and all I want to do is keep playing. Hopefully I'll be able to get some of my former skills back.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Thanks for the advice guys!

Now all we need is a goalkeeper who isn't recovering from a severe concussion and so is slower than my granny and we are set!

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
I hurt a guy last night and dont feel bad about it even a little.

Last night our referee was trying to fix some lights. The refs where I play are a joke, they stay at the center line and never move. Its a 6 on 6 coed league so usually nobody does anything crazy. A girl on my team won a ball as one of their guys was dribbling, it blatantly went off his foot, but since the ref was fixing the lights he had no input. The player picked up the ball and set it for a corner, we all objected, and with a big poo poo eating grin on his face served the ball and they scored. I went ballistic and his response was "hey thats the game isnt it" and smiled and jogged off. The ref had no decent response and apologized for missing it. Off the tap I took the ball and beat two defenders, and in comes the cheating dickhead. Normally I play really tame in this league, because I dont want to hurt anyone or get hurt myself in an adult league. At this point I was so mad I made a pretty reckless challenge for the ball and won it, then absolutely destroyed the dickhead. As soon as he hit the ground he started whimpering and yelling, and I casually walked away. Turns out he went to the hospital for what he suspected was a broken collarbone.

I sort of feel bad that he probably broke a bone, but it all loving starts when he decides to cheat in a coed adult league.. Maybe all of that makes me a dickhead, but really who cheats in a league like that and then admits it with a lovely little smile and laugh?

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

PhillyLucky posted:

Last night our referee was trying to fix some lights. The refs where I play are a joke, they stay at the center line and never move. Its a 6 on 6 coed league so usually nobody does anything crazy. A girl on my team won a ball as one of their guys was dribbling, it blatantly went off his foot, but since the ref was fixing the lights he had no input. The player picked up the ball and set it for a corner, we all objected, and with a big poo poo eating grin on his face served the ball and they scored. I went ballistic and his response was "hey thats the game isnt it" and smiled and jogged off. The ref had no decent response and apologized for missing it. Off the tap I took the ball and beat two defenders, and in comes the cheating dickhead. Normally I play really tame in this league, because I dont want to hurt anyone or get hurt myself in an adult league. At this point I was so mad I made a pretty reckless challenge for the ball and won it, then absolutely destroyed the dickhead. As soon as he hit the ground he started whimpering and yelling, and I casually walked away. Turns out he went to the hospital for what he suspected was a broken collarbone.

I sort of feel bad that he probably broke a bone, but it all loving starts when he decides to cheat in a coed adult league.. Maybe all of that makes me a dickhead, but really who cheats in a league like that and then admits it with a lovely little smile and laugh?

I'm sure he'll appreciate the lesson you taught him when he can't carry his son, Billy, on his shoulders at the county fair this weekend. Little Billy will wonder why his father will not hoist him proudly on his shoulders. He will harbor resentment for the rest of his childhood, and in his teenage years this will spiral into a distrust and loathing of his father that leads to his parents getting divorced. Little Billy will rob and murder an elderly couple and rot in jail, and his mother will become homeless. The man you tackled will die, alone, a broken husk of a man, rueing the day that he decided to cheat in his soccer league many years ago...

...OK, that probably won't happen, but dude, it's just a rec league, bitch at him and get on with it, no need to injure someone even if he is a colossal douche.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

thats a total dick move and nobody likes playing with someone who takes it that seriously when it's in a "fun" league.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

PhillyLucky posted:

Nobody likes a cheater, sure, but everybody hates somebody that goes out and plays recklessly in a silly coed league. Don't be that guy.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

revengeanceful posted:

Nobody likes a cheater, sure, but everybody hates somebody that goes out and plays recklessly in a silly coed league. Don't be that guy.

Haha, reminds me of one of the games in my coed league this spring.

Kid is running upfield with the ball. He takes a slightly heavy touch and I come across him and take the ball off his toe.

Next thing I know I'm lying on the ground and my calves are on fire. By all accounts he took a massive kick at the back of my legs after I took the ball from him.

Now he's a kid, 14ish, if he had been an adult things might have gone differently but all I did was get up, place the ball, look at him and say "you're going to get hurt if you do that poo poo in high school."

Of course a few days later when I could barely walk since the fucker actually drew blood with the kick I was pissed but you can't let stupid poo poo get in the way of playing the game and having fun.

Moral of the story, I scored a hat trick that game and we beat them 6-2.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Irn--Bru posted:

thats a total dick move and nobody likes playing with someone who takes it that seriously when it's in a "fun" league.

I'm usually the exact opposite of that. I guess him being a oval office about it drove me nuts. I'm usually the guy who avoids knocking the girls over, or pats one of their players on the back when he scores a goal. My challenge wasnt even a foul necessarily, it was just pretty reckless. I won the ball before making contact, but I had all intentions of going in strong on this guy.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

everyone gets pissed of at cheating but honestly man its just not worth it. one hard tackle can ruin someones legs and stop them from being able to play regularly again

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Well, came in on my roommate's team as a ringer to play GK, and for a first competitive game playing there it wasn't bad. We won 3-2, but the only real fuckup I made was when I played it too short, thinking that the defender was going to run onto it, and he didn't, gave away an easy goal.

Anyways, what I wanted to ask was, do you guys have any recommendations for decent gloves/glove care? I've got a pair of cheapo ones, but they haven't got any finger-bracing and the palms are pretty messed.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
It's a long shot, but anyone in the Northern VA/DC area looking for a college student itching to play more before fall semester starts back up? I need something to fill the time before intramurala back at school and just thought of adult leagues.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 14, 2010

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

speaking of goalkeeping. I've noticed quite often that goalkeepers diving to make saves are going the ball punch with their 'off' hand across their body rather than the hand on the side the ball is going to.

For example, a player shoots to towards the top left corner of the net and the keeper diving that way, instead of punching with his left hand clears the ball by twisting to his left during the dive and punching the ball with his right.

I'm guessing that keepers making those kind of punches, if they're able to are attempting to clear the ball further up the field with a strong punch rather than just tip the ball wide with the hand that's not able to get any real power behind it.

Does this make sense? I'll try and find a video of it.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I think its more the case that the hand you are talking about is on 'top' of the body and so is closer to the ball than the other hand, if that makes sense

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!

Guitar_Hero posted:

Well, came in on my roommate's team as a ringer to play GK, and for a first competitive game playing there it wasn't bad. We won 3-2, but the only real fuckup I made was when I played it too short, thinking that the defender was going to run onto it, and he didn't, gave away an easy goal.

Anyways, what I wanted to ask was, do you guys have any recommendations for decent gloves/glove care? I've got a pair of cheapo ones, but they haven't got any finger-bracing and the palms are pretty messed.

i dropped $130 on a pair of uhlsport gloves at the local soccer shop. they're sweet. they have removable finger protection. i personally don't like finger protection, so i leave them out.

the difference between the $60 adidas ones and the $130 uhlsport ones is night and day. it's really worth it if you're going to play a lot and take care of them.

as far as maintenance goes, there are a few simple things that can improve the effectiveness and durability of your gloves.

-make sure to wet them before use. i don't mean sopping wet. i mean put an ounce or so of water into each palm and rub it all over the latex. it's been hot lately, so i've been wetting them at half time. i sometimes even do it during the game after a foul or something if necessary. you'll get a feel for when you need to wet them.

-wash them after each use. run the faucet to lukewarm, get them sopping wet, take a spritz of handsoap, and rub all the dirt off. they should look "like new" afterward. gently ring them out; be careful not to rip the stitching.

-during play, get up without using your hands. not only will this spare your gloves, but it'll make your hands available to make saves.

i hope this helped.

ps: be sure to check out this site. great stuff on there!!!

http://www.jbgoalkeeping.com/

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007
Since a lot of us are longshotting in this thread, does anyone play in the Las Vegas area need another player?

The outdoor is getting too hot and the couple of seasons I played indoor I got stuck on a 6v6 indoor league with like 25 players so everyone gets exactly no playing time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

CAMiasm posted:

i dropped $130 on a pair of uhlsport gloves at the local soccer shop. they're sweet. they have removable finger protection. i personally don't like finger protection, so i leave them out.

the difference between the $60 adidas ones and the $130 uhlsport ones is night and day. it's really worth it if you're going to play a lot and take care of them.

as far as maintenance goes, there are a few simple things that can improve the effectiveness and durability of your gloves.

-make sure to wet them before use. i don't mean sopping wet. i mean put an ounce or so of water into each palm and rub it all over the latex. it's been hot lately, so i've been wetting them at half time. i sometimes even do it during the game after a foul or something if necessary. you'll get a feel for when you need to wet them.

-wash them after each use. run the faucet to lukewarm, get them sopping wet, take a spritz of handsoap, and rub all the dirt off. they should look "like new" afterward. gently ring them out; be careful not to rip the stitching.

-during play, get up without using your hands. not only will this spare your gloves, but it'll make your hands available to make saves.

i hope this helped.

ps: be sure to check out this site. great stuff on there!!!

http://www.jbgoalkeeping.com/

Awesome resource/tips mate, cheers.