Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The Lost Levels posted:

Well, I just beat this game tonight. At least I think I did. I just got to the part where John dies, just like that book "John Dies at the End," but I really didn't want him to. And now I'm stuck playing as his whiny loving son who looks like Jewish and angry with a lovely voice actor. [/psoiler] Seriously, who would do something so lovely to their fan base? I'm honestly angry at this. I've never seen something so ridiculously lovely done to the player.

THAT is what I spent 20 hours of my life building up to? Really, rockstar? loving ridiculous. Ugh.

What the gently caress are you doing? Fix your tags

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lost Levels
Dec 11, 2009

The one warp pipe they didn't tell you about.

The Lost Levels posted:

THAT is what I spent 20 hours of my life building up to? Really, rockstar? loving ridiculous. Ugh.

:ninja:

edit: sorry everyone, I fixed the misspelled spoiler tag. I really hope I didn't ruin that for anyone.

edit2: poo poo, quote !=edit

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

synthy posted:

What the gently caress are you doing? Fix your tags

Can you not quote the broken ones as well?

Edit: Uh, fix them more. You can still get the gist the way you have it.

The Lost Levels posted:

edit: sorry everyone, I fixed the misspelled spoiler tag. I really hope I didn't ruin that for anyone.

edit2: poo poo, quote !=edit

Are you high or something? You did a pretty crappy job of spoilering that, now on your third try.

AR fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 11, 2010

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

Crows Turn Off posted:

OK, can someone give me some bear knifing tips please? :(

What I've been doing so far is shooting the bear with a shotgun, then just trying to knife the bear and dodge out of the way.

Then, ALWAYS, without fail, a second bear comes running in, sometimes even a third, and I either die right away or I just have to run.

Shoot it twice in the junk with a Buffalo rifle. It will most likely try to run, lasso it -- it won't work, but it will pause the bear in its tracks for a second or two - long enough for you to catch up and stab it. I had to stab it 6 times while it tried to flee.

Also, if it ever hits you, use medicine.

Samswing
Jan 8, 2009

:dukedog:

Jax 57 or Jist Bgiu posted:

So I was speeding full-gallop out of Armadillo and saw the nun that gives you the magical rosary that I've been hearing about. I was so intent not to lose her that I slammed right into her, killing her instantly. :(

Does she ever come back? I've played a good deal since and haven't seen a single nun. Is she more likely to appear if I loiter around towns or did I screw it up permanently?

Note that both my fame and honor are maxed.

I killed the nun by mistake as well and she does come back but for me it took a loooong rear end time for her to reappear

Naked Chainsaw
Jul 14, 2004

Walkin' on sunshine
I was dicking around in Tall Trees, collecting Hummingbird Sage for the Survivalist challenge when a random guy runs up and asks me to save his wife who's about to be hung. We run there and take out the offenders, and I dead-eye her rope to get her down. She stands up and says something like "I'm going to lead a good life from now on!" but before she finishes the sentence, a loving bear charges in and mauls her to death. The husband shrieks loudly and goes running off into the snowy forest alone, likely to meet the same fate as his wife.

I failed the encounter but who gives a poo poo, that was pure magic.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm463374592/nm2147789

That's John Marston.

Hahaha.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Well, I just got the Redeemed achievement. Those fifty-two hours were some of the best I've spent gaming in quite a long time and like others in the thread, this is one of the first games I've felt compelled to 100%. Most of the collecting was fun, the bounty hunting great, and for the most part even the hunting was fun. The only part I didn't like was going after skunks, to be honest, but even that was quickly done. Knifing a goddamn bear was a real adventure.

The best part was clearing the Blackwater poker table for the US Army uniform and getting the 2000 chip win achievement at the same time. Only one person was at the table because I'd either shot or scared the other guys away. You'd think he'd have caught on after I got called out for cheating a second time. Thanks for the chips, amigo.

Now I don't know what to do with J. Marston, FBI Agent, though his bowler hat is quite dapper.

Chop Licker
Apr 25, 2005

by mons al-madeen
gently caress ME IN THE rear end I'M QUOTING SPOILER TAG MISTAKES WITHOUT FIXING THEM MYSELF

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 11, 2010

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm thoroughly convinced that if they made a hunting game with a "Monster Hunter"-esque gathering system "Looting animals for parts (fur, bones, etc)", but just gave it guns, and GOOD guns, not gunlances, and set within the past century (because RDR sure does it well), it'd be a semi-high selling sleeper hit. It'd be a damned good one, too. Not many hunting games get a good rep but with incentive to get better goods, weapons, maybe horses, money, whatever it is. If they just made a hunting-centric RDR, with much more longevity and rewards.

I don't think anyone who's played and enjoyed this game WOULDN'T buy the game above.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

AxeManiac posted:

Jesus, I was totally doing that.

I had a hard time playing Poker, where you needed to clear out the table in Armadillo, but I got a nice table with Herbert Moon who is the biggest pussy in the world. He would fold any time I upped the bet. I cleared out the table down to one dude and lost. But I tried again and everyone else left the table so it was just me and that one dude.

I still can't play liar's dice for poo poo. Seems like the PC just fucks me over each time. I can't lie to them and I ALWAYS pick the wrong thing on them. 5 ones? I'm calling you out!!! Welp, the AI each had 3 ones... ugh...

I've got a couple of very handy tips for both poker and liar's dice.

There's an English chap chap chap on the high stakes poker table in Blackwater who was initially pissing me off until I worked out his system. I cleaned out the other two in a few minutes and he basically folded whenever I bet, even if it was a minimum bet. What I found was (and I highly suspect that there's only one "cautious player" AI in the game, so it will go for any NPCs that serial fold) if you wait til it's just you and them, bet high before the flop, I'm talking half your chips (make sure it's not too close to making them go all in though by looking at the max bet you can make, which will be their total chips) and they will call it. On the flop, bet again, about 50 chips, and they will fold. Every time. The serial folders always fold after the flop, unless you call all the way through to the river. This way, the've already put in a shitload of chips, but they still fold, and you win all the chips.

It sucks but they're not going to change their AI, so it's the best way to deal with those guys.

As for Liar's Dice, it took me a couple of goes to get it right, but you can win a fuckload of money if you get it spot on, with an ante of $200.

Basically, in the early stages, try and keep the bets low and realistic. I've played about four games and not once has the AI gone to call a bet as dead-on, either my own or another NPC's. They only bet or call bluffs. If you keep your bets lowish, it'll always fall to the other two to make a larger bet which the other will then call as a bluff. One of them loses a die, you hang in the background unscathed.

Then you'll get to a point where you have 5 dice and they have 1 or 2 each. You can then make bigger claims based on fact (if you have 3 fours under your cup, bet 3 fours). They'll never call it spot on, which is what you might go for in a real game, they'll always call it as a bluff, and you'll always win.

Bit lovely, I know, but it works. Also, I'm thinking of picking up a real life version of liar's dice, because it's fun as hell.

The Lost Levels posted:

Idiotic incorrectly spoilered poo poo combined with terrible whiney child opinion.

What the gently caress. Don't read the bottom of page 66 unless you want the ending ruined. Also, this ending whining is pathetic. I think it's one of the most interesting endings I've seen for a good while, which ties in with the overall message R* are getting across with the game. I bet you (spoilered even though it's about another game, because it would hint towards this game's ending, that's right I'm spoilering properly) complained about the Raiden thing in MGS2. Subverting expectations is exactly what I want out of my games, not the typical happy ending boredom.

Go and write some fanfic about it if it bothers you that much, instead of doing that "OH THANKS A LOT ROCKSTAR" crap, like you know what you're talking about. It's very irritating. Thanks.

Sco Dylan posted:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm463374592/nm2147789

That's John Marston.

Hahaha.

I love this. This makes me think he's a pretty drat good voice actor, because he looks more like a mormon than a jaded badass cowboy.

Sorry for the MASSIVE post, and I do love this game, but is anyone else a bit disappointed with the lack of decent bar brawl action? Before this was released, I was dreaming of Euphoria-driven punch-ups, with a Bully-style fighting system, where you could throw people a small distance after softening them up. I wanted to knock into someone, spill their whiskey and end up in a big brawl where I threw someone through a window onto the porch and gave someone else a tasty hook that sent them rolling through the saloon doors, all with the piano still playing and not stopping just because a fight broke out. Surely this would have been amazing? It could be a mission, distract the bar staff downstairs by starting a brawl whilst Irish goes upstairs and nicks some info out of someone's room. Scoot away on horseback, being chased by a couple of scumbags.

Also, I wanted it to be so that when your fame was low, the piano would stop and everyone would look at you in silence when you came in. DLC and patching? I can dream.

Edited for awful grammar mistake.

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 11, 2010

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.
So I finally beat the game.

End of game spoilers!

Holy poo poo. I figured something bad was about to happen to John's family, but after a little while of farming with my son, I thought maybe things would be okay. Obviously the army came and hosed John's ranch up.

I can honestly say, that in all my years of gaming, I haven't been this gut-wrenched by an ending. I was ready for John to find his family dead after killing Dutch, but I was not ready for John to be shot twenty times. His dying breaths were intense, to say the least. You best believe I killed the gently caress out of Ross's wife, bother, and Ross himself. This is one of my favorite games ever.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Morter posted:

I'm thoroughly convinced that if they made a hunting game with a "Monster Hunter"-esque gathering system "Looting animals for parts (fur, bones, etc)", but just gave it guns, and GOOD guns, not gunlances, and set within the past century (because RDR sure does it well), it'd be a semi-high selling sleeper hit. It'd be a damned good one, too. Not many hunting games get a good rep but with incentive to get better goods, weapons, maybe horses, money, whatever it is. If they just made a hunting-centric RDR, with much more longevity and rewards.

I don't think anyone who's played and enjoyed this game WOULDN'T buy the game above.

Only if they let you hunt endangered animals and sell their penises to the Chinese.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just got 100%. I spent two hours waiting for a bounty that wasn't showing up on the social club site, finally got it, then realized the thing that was keeping me from 100% was the third mission with Bonnie doing that loving race where the horse jumps off a cliff if you come at that second bridge too fast which I had originally skipped. It took me less than 5 minutes.

The Bureau uniform is nice.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

The Lost Levels posted:

Whining

gently caress you, you're the reason games are never going to grow up. Go write a stupid fanfic, you loving baby.

Seriously I will fight anyone who doesn't love the ending. I will fight them and kill them, with my hands.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Toasta posted:

End of game spoilers!

Holy poo poo. I figured something bad was about to happen to John's family, but after a little while of farming with my son, I thought maybe things would be okay. Obviously the army came and hosed John's ranch up.

I can honestly say, that in all my years of gaming, I haven't been this gut-wrenched by an ending. I was ready for John to find his family dead after killing Dutch, but I was not ready for John to be shot twenty times. His dying breaths were intense, to say the least. You best believe I killed the gently caress out of Ross's wife, bother, and Ross himself. This is one of my favorite games ever.

See, interestingly, I didn't kill his wife or brother, because I figured they had nothing to do with it, and seeing as Jack's family were all gone, he might have some empathy buried away inside somewhere. I left the wife and brother alone, and took out the sole man responsible.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Gazmachine posted:

See, interestingly, I didn't kill his wife or brother, because I figured they had nothing to do with it, and seeing as Jack's family were all gone, he might have some empathy buried away inside somewhere. I left the wife and brother alone, and took out the sole man responsible.

John would have let them live, but Jack hogtied Ross' wife and threw her in the lake and shot the brother in stomach and watched while he crawled around helplessly.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

AxeManiac posted:

I still can't play liar's dice for poo poo. Seems like the PC just fucks me over each time. I can't lie to them and I ALWAYS pick the wrong thing on them. 5 ones? I'm calling you out!!! Welp, the AI each had 3 ones... ugh...

If you're getting sick of getting that trophy/achievement and want a cheap way out of it, just go to Thieves Landing and play when there's only one guy on the table. (Apparently if there are 2 guys you can just throwing knife one of them and then play, but I really doubt it)

What you want to do is always tell the truth, because he will almost always say you're lying. You should never have to try calling his bluff or calling something spot on unless he's on his last die. It feels cheap, but then again so are trophies/achievements.

VV The only time I've lied in Liar's Dice was when I was down to one die, and I lied my way to victory. The reason I was down to one die is because I had never played the game before RDR VV

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 11, 2010

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I've literally never lied in Liar's Dice and have always won. The computer AI is pretty terrible and 90% of the time will either say you're lying and be wrong, or will up the bet to something like 5 sixes out of the blue. Just up the last bet by literally as little as you can each time and let the two computer opponents take each other out or set you up for an easy bluff call.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Man, I loving love Free Roam when it becomes Posse vs. Posse.

So I start a posse. Head over to a fort in Mexico, start firing cannons, all is good. Then this fucker, this traitor, decides he needs the cannon and shoots me in the face to get it. I wouldn't stand for this.

I start sniping. Then he starts killing me. My other posse mates are doing hell knows what, but I've got my own little war going on and the point is, is that I kinda suck on my own.

Remembering that I friended a goon and had never played with him before, I sent him a message and an invite asking for help. He shows up, and we have a fun little 2 vs. 1 match (the guy was pretty good so it seemed fair).

Oh yea, the other posse members. Suddenly it's like 4 on 1. The guy sticks around for a good long while, more posse people show up (because I invited them obviously)) and he gives up and leaves. Western Justice is served.

I don't even care about the fort anymore. We have a huge posse going on and some people decide that we are just too big of meany faces and split off into their own.

So many people. So much blood shed. Sooo much fun. This is how Free Roam should be, god dammit.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
God dammit. I just finished up Mexico last evening and started exploring West-Elizabeth. I died when I fell into the water at the sunken ship. Then I spawn in a Blackwater Player House. I hadn't even been to Blackwater yet! Hope that death didn't screw up the story for me. Otherwise I can always try my other save (I use 2 saves and overwrite the oldest one when saving).

Also: how do you do a combat roll? Heard about this, but no idea how to do one.

Matlock, BRB
Jun 23, 2004

by T. Finn
DON'T loving QUOTE STUFF YOU WANT PEOPLE TO SPOILER TAG YOU DUMMY

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 11, 2010

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Don't loving quote it.

Teix
Nov 5, 2009

You want to touch me?

Sioux posted:

Also: how do you do a combat roll? Heard about this, but no idea how to do one.

Aim or lock on to your target by pressing L2/LT. Then simply press Square/X to roll. Use the left stick to roll in the direction you want.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Gazmachine posted:

Don't loving quote it.
The only thing better than a shittily spoilered post is the next 4 pages of people bitching about it without correcting the spoiler tags.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

The Lost Levels posted:

Thanks. rear end in a top hat.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Lost Levels posted:

:downs:

Gee, thanks. Saves me from playing the last couple of hours I have left.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
While I still feel sorry for anybody who has a game spoiled and wish people would use the tags that the system provides, I've gotta say I'm pretty loving astonished that anyone would read page 60-something of a Games thread several weeks after release if he hadn't yet finished the main story of that game. You're pretty much asking for it. Go play the loving thing before running to the Internet to discuss it. Sometimes I wonder about some of the hours-spent-posting : hours-spent-playing ratios in this forum.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Beelzebozo posted:

While I still feel sorry for anybody who has a game spoiled and wish people would use the tags that the system provides, I've gotta say I'm pretty loving astonished that anyone would read page 60-something of a Games thread several weeks after release if he hadn't yet finished the main story of that game. You're pretty much asking for it. Go play the loving thing before running to the Internet to discuss it. Sometimes I wonder about some of the hours-spent-posting : hours-spent-playing ratios in this forum.

I agree and I do tend to finish a game before I come back to post but I also like to post my first impressions and see what other people's first impressions are, as well as grab a bit of mid-game knowledge from others who might have spotted something I haven't, which I may not be able to take advantage of later on in the game or after I've finished it, so really it's just common courtesy to spoiler things properly.

And not quote them so that the incorrectly spoilered post appears on two pages...

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Beelzebozo posted:

Go play the loving thing before running to the Internet to discuss it. Sometimes I wonder about some of the hours-spent-posting : hours-spent-playing ratios in this forum.
Right, we are all supposed to put in 20+ hours into a game before we can talk about our experiences or try to get questions answered that may very well be preventing us from finishing it. People have been a lot better about spoilers for a lot longer in this thread than many other games in the past. It only takes one rear end to come in and screw things up for everyone. If this were a short game, by now, spoilers would not be an issue but this is a huge game with plenty of distractions. The longer we can get people to keep using spoiler tags, the better the thread is for everyone.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Well this is a loving train wreck.

Anyway, I was playing earlier and while I was clearing out Solomon's Folley for the ump-teenth time a posse came up and joined me. I didn't join them, no need I figured, we just kept clearing it out together. Then a new person requested to join their posse and it turned out to be a freakin' 10 year old, complete with a dad telling him it was bedtime later on and him whining that he had another hour. The first thing he did was inquire about me and asked if he could snipe me, to which I replied, "That's not a very well thought out plan since I can hear you," and the little guy backpedaled so hard I started laughing and got killed by the Walton gang. He was super apologetic and said he was only kidding, like I could do more than just shoot him back. It was really cute in a way, and that's kinda wrong. I'm not his father, or anyone's, but he really shouldn't be playing this kind of game, especially with fuckers like me playing who swear all the time.

Later me and another friend got on a new public server, found a campsite with refillable deadeye and ammo, and started knifing people from far away for a good half hour. I'm really surprised that they don't catch on at all. Also while this was going on I heard a cougar, turned, and it was just lying next to me, dead. I didn't kill it, and no one else could have since they wouldn't have been able to see it from where it was. Guess I lucked out and it had a stroke or something.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Toasta posted:

End of game spoiler question!

So does this mean you cannot free roam as John after the game ends unless you saved before the ending? Are you permanently stuck as the kid?

Thanks IntoTheNihil.

DrSeRRoD fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 11, 2010

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nomak posted:

End of game spoiler question!

So does this mean you cannot free roam as John after the game ends unless you saved before the ending? Are you permanently stuck as the kid?

Yes

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Snailor Moon posted:

I got the 20 missions on the same horse one before I got to Mexico, using the stallion from the horsebreaking mission with Bonnie, so you should have gotten it by now unless you hit a bug or made a mistake.

I've used the War Horse from the Limited Edition the whole time, but occasionally broke a wild horse for fun or jumped on a different horse while doing a mission because it was around and mine was not. I never actually hitched anything, because I always leave my horse wherever it is when I get off. I just entered West Elizabeth and haven't seen that trophy either. I guess you can't even ride or break any other horse for 20 missions. I guess I'll have to wait until another playthrough? :(

Sioux fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 11, 2010

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sioux posted:

I've used the War Horse from the Limited Edition the whole time, but occasionally broke a wild horse for fun or jumped on a different horse while doing a mission because it was around and mine was not. I never actually hitched anything, because I always leave my horse wherever it is when I get off. I just entered West Elizabeth and haven't seen that trophy either. I guess you can't even ride or break any other horse for 20 missions. I guess I'll have to wait until another playthrough? :(

I'm never getting that trophy ever because it's too much fun to run at full gallop and shoot my horsey in the head :hurr:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hey You Pifuckyou! posted:

I'm never getting that trophy ever because it's too much fun to run at full gallop and shoot my horsey in the head :hurr:

I've killed at least six horses while trying to shoot wolves biting at my horse's feet. Then I realized you can turn auto-aim off. :downs:

Johnny Deformed
Jun 11, 2005

Because fact into doubt... won't go.
OK I'm on 91% completion and I'm a little afraid of how addicted I am to this game at the moment, I only bought it on Monday!

But I tried the multiplayer and I can't say it's been that fun at all really. Are you supposed to have nothing and get completely destroyed by everyone all the time? And then it seems to re-spawn you near the guy that just killed you every time? Or is that just me?

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Edit: Nevermind, found it!

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Johnny Deformed posted:

OK I'm on 91% completion and I'm a little afraid of how addicted I am to this game at the moment, I only bought it on Monday!

But I tried the multiplayer and I can't say it's been that fun at all really. Are you supposed to have nothing and get completely destroyed by everyone all the time? And then it seems to re-spawn you near the guy that just killed you every time? Or is that just me?

You're supposed to get a posse of goons together and do some Gang Hideouts for quick exp and lots of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Johnny Deformed posted:

You re-spawn near where you died. Anyway I personally don't like the free roam because it is filled with assholes, but the hardcore gang matches are pretty good since all the good players who use teamwork seem to have fled there.

• Locked thread