Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Crows Turn Off posted:

OK, can someone give me some bear knifing tips please? :(

What I've been doing so far is shooting the bear with a shotgun, then just trying to knife the bear and dodge out of the way.

Then, ALWAYS, without fail, a second bear comes running in, sometimes even a third, and I either die right away or I just have to run.

One henry repeater headshot in dead-eye will leave a bear needing only one knife swipe to kill. Makes this fairly trivial but you still need to watch out for extra bears.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Deformed
Jun 11, 2005

Because fact into doubt... won't go.

Smoothrich posted:

You're supposed to get a posse of goons together and do some Gang Hideouts for quick exp and lots of fun.

Davincie posted:

You re-spawn near where you died. Anyway I personally don't like the free roam because it is filled with assholes, but the hardcore gang matches are pretty good since all the good players who use teamwork seem to have fled there.

Ah I didn't even realise there were other modes than Free Roam :doh:, that's cool I'll give them a try.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

Houdini posted:

Has anyone had trouble with the Gentlemen's Attire not unlocking?

I have the exact same problem as you, my account is very definitely linked but not fancy pants suit.
I've yet to start a new game and see if it shows up there though.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'd imagine there will eventually be a cheat to play as John just like there's one to play as Jack, they just didn't want to release it right away because it would kinda SPOIL THE WHOLE GODDAMN GAME

Johnny Deformed posted:

OK I'm on 91% completion and I'm a little afraid of how addicted I am to this game at the moment, I only bought it on Monday!

But I tried the multiplayer and I can't say it's been that fun at all really. Are you supposed to have nothing and get completely destroyed by everyone all the time? And then it seems to re-spawn you near the guy that just killed you every time? Or is that just me?

Multiplayer in GTA4 sucked rear end too but you could turn FF off. Basically your best bet is getting on the meta tag and just playing with other people from SA

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Okay, I'm not so much upset by the ending (I thought it was very poignant and handled very well) as I am by having to play as Jack. Now, there's one very simple reason, Jack's voice actor is horrible and the character has some lovely lines. It's nothing to do with the fact that he isn't John. I'd warm up to the boy if he were half as badass as his father.

Seriously, it's like you're playing as Shia Labeouf all of a sudden... I feel like I'm taking part in the next Indiana Jones installment now.

All that aside, the final missions were incredible, and seeing the wildnerness fade into the edge of the modern paved roads of Blackwater almost brought a tear to my eye. You actually start to feel like John Marston by that point of the game, and sympathize with his plight, seeing the wild life that was all he knew being paved over with uniform streets and cookie-cutter buildings lined up with prim and proper "civilized folk" inside. I actually tried, a couple of times, to steer a whole herd of buffalo into the middle of town. I was a little disappointed with the results, but it was still pretty badass to ride into civilization strapped with half-a-dozen weapons on the back of a white horse and surrounded by wild buffalo.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
The snake oil salesman has me racing carts, but all of the race horses spawn with their legs halfway into the ground. So no can go anywhere, except for one fellow who shot into the sky, plesantly pinwheeling.

I know there aren't supposed to be many race missions in this game, but I'm looking forward to having this onwe behind me.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Jack, I loving loved that horse. Don't call it a nag, you angry baby

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

A hefty patch is/was supposed to be released this week, right?

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Crows Turn Off posted:

A hefty patch is/was supposed to be released this week, right?

Yea I thought it was this week too, I've been waiting on starting a new game so Mo Van Bar shows up.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Awesome free roamin' with some pubbies last night. We had a gang of 5 and were rollin' around gang hideouts in our pimpin' stage coach, then we all had at least $2,500 bounties for that challenge, and it was good times. :)

Laughing Man, I started a new game a few days ago and Van Barr was the very first bounty in Armadillo, but he didn't show up by name - it was just "Walton's Gang at Mercer Station" or something. Ya might give it a shot!

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!
You don't have to restart to make Moe Van Barr show up. I took one of the random bounties in Armadillo last night (the ones with just a silhouette and a questions mark) and when I looked at my map, it was Van Barr. Killed him and unlocked the outfit after beating the game. Not sure if this will work for everyone, but worth a try.

Wasco Jr.
Jan 11, 2006

"Cut the kids in half"
I need advice on knifing a bear, I am going to Tall Trees and shooting one in the body 4 times with a revolver and then trying to knife it but every single time I start chasing the wounded bear as it runs away from me another bear or two attacks out of nowhere. It is so annoying.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Wasco Jr. posted:

I need advice on knifing a bear, I am going to Tall Trees and shooting one in the body 4 times with a revolver and then trying to knife it but every single time I start chasing the wounded bear as it runs away from me another bear or two attacks out of nowhere. It is so annoying.

You gotta lasso that ba'r and slow him down a spell son. :clint:

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I hate the clusterfucks you run into when trying to bring a bounty back into town. The absolute worst area for, for me at least, is the road leading away from Manzanita Post that goes by an entrance to the Marston ranch. I was bringing back a bounty alive today and was riding through there, when the typical 4 guys spawn that try to shoot you when you're bringing in a bounty. Except in the middle of this was a covered wagon with driver and passenger, and two other guys on horses. So I turn around with my Evans Repeater and go into dead-eye to try and cap all 4 of them in the face like I usually do if the pursuers get too close. Except I turn around in dead eye and I can't tell who the gently caress is who in the middle of the chaos on the road, and in the confusion I end only getting off one shot, which ended up being a civilian and lost me 50 honor.

Oh, and to top it all off, then three loving bears came out of nowhere to join the party. So, to recap, we've got 4 outlaws, one covered wagon with two people in it, one regular guy on his horse, a dead civilian that I accidentally shot, and three god drat bears.

How I got out of that alive I have no idea. But on a less crazy note I got Legend of the West, and it's pretty awesome. :3:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How the hell are people getting 00:00 time for the social club challenges? Is it some sort of exploit or am I missing something?

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

No exploit, you just have to be really loving fast.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Jimbot posted:

How the hell are people getting 00:00 time for the social club challenges? Is it some sort of exploit or am I missing something?

They all figured out how to win against that racer in the Ocarina of Time :v:

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Best way to kill people has to be by shooting out both their knees then shooting them point blank in the face or back of the head. Some stylish animations for that move.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

ProfessorGroove posted:

Best way to kill people has to be by shooting out both their knees then shooting them point blank in the face or back of the head. Some stylish animations for that move.

I always find it badass as gently caress when during a gunfight you get caught offguard by an enemy you didn't see but react quicker than he can fire and Marston grabs him, pushes the muzzle into the enemies chest and fires.

How many animations are there for that sort of thing?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

E:wrong page

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Stupid question that I didn't see in the OP: does anybody have any more Deadly Assassin codes left? I wouldn't mind one. Also, how does one go about killing wolves for Master Hunter 3? I tried shooting them once, but they usually take off as fast as they run, making it impossible to be followed.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Also, how does one go about killing wolves for Master Hunter 3? I tried shooting them once, but they usually take off as fast as they run, making it impossible to be followed.
Don't bother shooting them. Just knife 'em! I took on 4 wolves at once and killed them all. :clint: Being good at knifing and dodging comes in handy later, too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Some random guy in Tall Trees kept kicking my rear end at shooting challenges (even though I had easily won several before) so I shot him to get the money back, and as he crawled along the ground bleeding and waiting for the finishing blow he angrily muttered "(his name), remember the name."

Incredible. Too bad I didn't remember his name. :shobon:

Also I laughed when (post game super-minor spoilers) Jack said "May I take your coat, madam?" after a skinning. His character is unlikable but still says some good stuff.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Stupid question that I didn't see in the OP: does anybody have any more Deadly Assassin codes left? I wouldn't mind one. Also, how does one go about killing wolves for Master Hunter 3? I tried shooting them once, but they usually take off as fast as they run, making it impossible to be followed.

Don't know where I heard it (possibly this thread), but I think Rockstar's going to provide everyone with the Deadly Assassin's outfit when they release the patch since some people had codes but it didn't work or other such nonsense.

At least, I hope that's the case.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Don't know where I heard it (possibly this thread), but I think Rockstar's going to provide everyone with the Deadly Assassin's outfit when they release the patch since some people had codes but it didn't work or other such nonsense.
The patch that is supposed to hit this week will address bugs only.

The two outfits Rockstar is making free later in the month are the Savvy Merchant and the Expert Hunter, the two losers in the pre-order bonus contest (the winner was the Deadly Assassin).

I don't think they have any plans to release the DA outfit for free.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I get the feeling if Rockstar charges for a DLC, it'll include that in it ala the American Baseball Bat in L4D2's The Passing.

Anyway, if anybody has a code they want to get rid of, throw me a line: nickzbu@yahoo.com.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

El Seano posted:

How many animations are there for that sort of thing?

Theres animations for front and back for each different type of gun plus the ones for pistols when they're on their knees I was talking about, at least. If you don't hold lt and hit rt when you're next to someone you'll pistol whip them or hit them with the butt of the gun, too.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Well, I found out where Ross and his wife are supposedly staying after Ross' "retirement". When I read the newspaper article about it, my blood went cold. Of course Ross got all the credit for John's actions, plus the killing of John himself when he had his lackeys do everything. Then I find out he's staying in a little cabin by the lake, I knew what I had to do... except there was nothing to do when you get there. Very disappointing :(

Unless... Do Ross and his wife ever show up at the cabin at any point, or is the cabin just there to give you false hope?

Snailor Moon posted:

Go to Blackwater station.

I figured that would be the way, I was just hoping to catch them with their pants down, so to speak, in the middle of the night. Then I'd hogtie the Missus and drag Ross to the top of the cliffs around the lake and fling him down 100 feet of rock to the bottom of a lake. No obituary, no hero's death or fancy funeral.

... :clint:

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 11, 2010

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Retromancer posted:

okay anyone else having this problem?

I'm doing "an appointed time," and I get to the end. Bill and I yell back and forth at each other for a while, I shoot bill in the head, Reyes shoots Allende, and everyone stands around. whatever is supposed to happen next doesn't trigger. If I press start it gives me the continue message as if I was in a cutscene, but the cutscene doesn't trigger.

I'm confused. I'm not finished with the game yet, but I DID do this mission. A long talky cutscene played out, I never saw a way to interrupt it. Is it just one of those things I would have had to have guessed to try?

Snailor Moon
Jun 29, 2006

by mons al-madeen

Tewratomeh posted:

Well, I found out where Ross and his wife are supposedly staying after Ross' "retirement". When I read the newspaper article about it, my blood went cold. Of course Ross got all the credit for John's actions, plus the killing of John himself when he had his lackeys do everything. Then I find out he's staying in a little cabin by the lake, I knew what I had to do... except there was nothing to do when you get there. Very disappointing :(

Unless... Do Ross and his wife ever show up at the cabin at any point, or is the cabin just there to give you false hope?

Go to Blackwater station.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Damnit is there any way to see if you've done all 20 bounty locations? The social club website is being a POS right now.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Damnit is there any way to see if you've done all 20 bounty locations? The social club website is being a POS right now.

Just check your stats. 8 in New Austin, 8 in Mexico, 4 in West Elizabeth.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Feenix posted:

I'm confused. I'm not finished with the game yet, but I DID do this mission. A long talky cutscene played out, I never saw a way to interrupt it. Is it just one of those things I would have had to have guessed to try?

Yeah if something else is supposed to happen then it didn't happen for me either. Just yakkety yak and then i was dumped in Escalera. There was some crazy random sniper shooting at me that needed a good killin' though.

Zuur
May 2, 2009
I am loving the game so far as I just made it to Blackwater, gently caress bears and cougars, seriously.
I tried free roam earlier but it was no fun since everybody is an rear end in a top hat, I have to play with some goons later.

I will also take a Deadly Assassin outfit off of somebody if they have one, either PM me or contact me at Zzuurr@gmail.com.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

AxeManiac posted:

I still can't play liar's dice for poo poo. Seems like the PC just fucks me over each time. I can't lie to them and I ALWAYS pick the wrong thing on them. 5 ones? I'm calling you out!!! Welp, the AI each had 3 ones... ugh...

The trick to liars dice is not to lie but to try to force the AI into doing something stupid. Always bet the lowest die face/highest number of them you know is true from your own hand, usually you can do that once or twice and let the AI either make a dumbass bet or a dumbass call out on another AI. The AI will almost always bet on something it has at least one of in its hand too. Once the number of dice the AIs have gets low the game gets very easy.

Poker and five finger fillet totally own me every time though. :argh:

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

IRQ posted:

The trick to liars dice is not to lie but to try to force the AI into doing something stupid. Always bet the lowest die face/highest number of them you know is true from your own hand, usually you can do that once or twice and let the AI either make a dumbass bet or a dumbass call out on another AI. The AI will almost always bet on something it has at least one of in its hand too. Once the number of dice the AIs have gets low the game gets very easy.

The AI seems to never guess spot on, too. So you're pretty safe if you but at or below how many you have. Once you have a big dice advantage there's almost no way for them to win.

Poker is great, though. Try using the suit that lets you cheat.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

IRQ posted:

Five Finger Fillet is easy once you learn the pattern. You can make thousands of dollars off of it in 10 minutes if you have it memorized, and if the high-stakes guy is all that's left at the table. The final pattern is always ABAYAXABAY on repeat, and you shouldn't even be looking at the screen for it at that point.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

IRQ posted:

For Poker just raise like a madman. They'll fold out eventually and you'll win the inevitably large pot. Occasionally they'll try and go all the way to the end, but I just keep it going for the hell of it. This works for me and my stats agree, what with the 70+ wins by bluffing :smug:

Also, is there any reason why cougars now spawn in Beecher's Hope after I've beaten the game? They weren't there before, but upon beating it I can't ride through there without getting attacked by one. It's always right outside the houses too...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Don't bother shooting them. Just knife 'em! I took on 4 wolves at once and killed them all. :clint: Being good at knifing and dodging comes in handy later, too.

The only thing I regret about the game is that there are no missions that require you to get into a knife fight with anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
You can block animal attacks with the knife. :monocle: (RB on the 360).

• Locked thread