Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I'm doing some bounty hunting and the bounty managed to get on his horse and took me on a good chase up near MacFarlane's. When I lassoed him off the horse, Marston said "Oh, I'm sorry cocksucker!"

Not once have I heard him say this and I've taken in tons of bounties. I take it that line has always been in there since I didn't have a patch to download today. Either that or my Deadwood binge is doing my head in and I'm hearing poo poo :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Maybe that was the first cocksucker you captured.

You can block animal attacks? I had a hell of a time taking down cougars with a knife. I would just lure NPC's around and let the cougars attack them, then sneak up on the cougar and stab the poo poo out of it.

Bears are insane, I just got up to them and they sneak up on me, I start killing one and then another runs out and gets me and then some random event happens and cops are all over the place and start shooting me or the bears and getting killed and everything goes to poo poo, which is fun, but when you are trying to get a challenge done... ARGH!!!

I got a kick rear end pistol near the end of the game (around two trees), I'm loving it so far. Finally something to replace my rifle.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is there some kind of trick to blocking cougar attacks, or are cougars unblockable? Because I'm drat sure I've tried blocking them and it was quite unsuccessful. Maybe I just got unlucky? Do you have to press the button right when they attack? I was just holding it the whole time.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is there some kind of trick to blocking cougar attacks, or are cougars unblockable? Because I'm drat sure I've tried blocking them and it was quite unsuccessful. Maybe I just got unlucky? Do you have to press the button right when they attack? I was just holding it the whole time.

I know boar attacks are blockable. I tried bears...they are not blockable. I'd assume cougars are the same.

Fun fact: You can catch cougars sleeping! I ran into 2 separate cougars laying down south of Blackwater at around 9 AM. Nice to finally catch THEM by surprise.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

AxeManiac posted:

Maybe that was the first cocksucker you captured.

You can block animal attacks? I had a hell of a time taking down cougars with a knife. I would just lure NPC's around and let the cougars attack them, then sneak up on the cougar and stab the poo poo out of it.

Bears are insane, I just got up to them and they sneak up on me, I start killing one and then another runs out and gets me and then some random event happens and cops are all over the place and start shooting me or the bears and getting killed and everything goes to poo poo, which is fun, but when you are trying to get a challenge done... ARGH!!!

I got a kick rear end pistol near the end of the game (around two trees), I'm loving it so far. Finally something to replace my rifle.

Make an extra save right where you are.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just got a patch update. 1.0.2

jvempire
May 10, 2009
I have found what RDR is missing... Horses equipped with duel gatling guns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2AS9DjwR-o

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

So I decided I should call my horse at the bottom of a hill today. Said horse ran as fast as he could, and then flew off the top of the hill where his dead body landed next to me. :(

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Feenix posted:

I just got a patch update. 1.0.2

PS3? Nothing on 360 yet.

Grishka
Jun 4, 2010

With the mic in my hands
I'm a bad man
Even in a fight with the hands
I'm a bad man
Livin in the streets all my life
I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man
I have time to kill so if any goons wanna hit me up on the 360, tag is N05feratu

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Philip J Fry posted:

PS3? Nothing on 360 yet.

Yes. But Im not sure what it was supposed to fix...

DehatstyTopinbout
Dec 28, 2004

C4
is the motherfucking answer
Just installed the new patch and I've got the weirdest bug going on...

I lost at a poker game in Blackwater then stood up, put on my bandana and gunned down the other players. I was quickly killed by the law.

When I respawned in my hotel room I threw on my bandana again, walked downstairs into the saloon and started shooting. I immediately received a bounty but no "Wanted" circle appeared and I only encountered two lawmen in the street directly outside. Since then I've been wandering the streets of Blackwater and it's been an endless shooting gallery of civilians that are either unarmed or fall prey to me before they can draw. I've only had an aggressive response from them if I've failed to take them down immediately. Absolutely no law enforcement response yet.

Also, they're all respawning much quicker than usual. Has anyone else had this happen?

It's just a drat shame it takes forever to build a bounty with max honor/fame. Hopefully I'll be able to cheese the Friends in High Places trophy this way but I wouldn't be surprised if all of the telegraph stations are glitched too.

*****update*****
Once I amassed 5000 and left Blackwater the circle finally appeared and things went back to normal. Go figure.

DehatstyTopinbout fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 12, 2010

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Feenix posted:

Yes. But Im not sure what it was supposed to fix...
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/6061/red_dead_redemption_title_update_coming_next_week.article

Rockstar in Comments posted:

Guys – good news on the patch. It’s in the midst of being deployed for both PS3 and 360. PlayStation 3 users should start to see it appear now – and Xbox 360 users should expect to see it sometime overnight tonight (could be late).

We will post an official announcement soon as it’s confirmed to be up for both systems.

Thanks!
Don't know why They aren't doing systematically, maybe PS3 players are guinea pigs to them?! (Joking of course!)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Houdini posted:

You can block animal attacks with the knife. :monocle: (RB on the 360).

Well this is right up there with my discovery today that you can fast travel to a waypoint from camp. So much time wasted.

Along the same lines, I accidentally did what looked like some badass special point-blank kill move a few missions back but I can't figure out how.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

IRQ posted:

Along the same lines, I accidentally did what looked like some badass special point-blank kill move a few missions back but I can't figure out how.

If you're right next to someone, have a gun, and press the fire button Marston does an execution style move with the gun.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

If you're right next to someone, have a gun, and press the fire button Marston does an execution style move with the gun.

It's ultraviolent and makes me smile when I do it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Gazmachine posted:

See, interestingly, I didn't kill his wife or brother, because I figured they had nothing to do with it, and seeing as Jack's family were all gone, he might have some empathy buried away inside somewhere. I left the wife and brother alone, and took out the sole man responsible.

I Shot the gun out of his hand and then put something like 18 THOUSAND bullets in him before he hit the ground.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Anyone on PS3 feel like posse'ing up for an hour or so, perhaps doing the outlaw-type goals or picking some flowers or hunting or something? Grinding SF is fun and all, but I haven't gotten to do most of the other goals.

edit: "wall_of_voodoo" on PSN.

edit2: Just noticed there's a reddeadgoons channel on synirc. Too bad it's totally dead.

moller fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 12, 2010

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Oh great, the patch doesn't fix the o and x button functions being partially reversed on asian PS3s. Was kind of looking forward to being able to play some of the minigames. :(

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Oh son of a bitch. Is it just me, or has the "skydiving" glitch been fixed on anyone else's PS3 version? That was a harmless glitch, too :qq:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
There is nothing I didn't like about chasing down (late Mexico I guess?) Escuella. He takes off on a horse, I shoot the horses legs out from under him. I ride up, disarm him and shoot him in the foot to slow him down, get off my horse to smack him around a little before lassoing him, and he loving grabs my horse and makes another break for it, so I murder my own horse and bring that fucker in.

Being able to (accurately) pop kneecaps and feet to slow people down is probably the most satisfying part of this game so far.

JonSausage
Dec 14, 2009
This game is the most incredible adventure I've ever been on, and only one thing ruins my immersion: my John Marston can't win at arm wrestling. I've never been good at tapping buttons fast so when I do the arm wrestling I sweat, cry, and have a seizure all at once.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Biggabam posted:

I've never been good at tapping buttons fast so when I do the arm wrestling I sweat, cry, and have a seizure all at once.
The key to arm wrestling is to tap the button when they're resting, and to hold the button when they're trying to push. Look at their face to see what they're doing.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I finally 100%'d the game tonight, and I also found a great way to use Dead-Eye that I wish I'd used a lot sooner. Basically, instead of doing the typical "Pop into Dead-Eye and select a bunch of targets THEN fire" I'm going into Dead-Eye and targeting one enemy, usually in the head, shooting without marking them with RB, instantly popping me out of Dead-Eye. Then I'll immediately go back into Dead-Eye mode and rinse/repeat for the rest of whatever enemy I'm trying to kill. This might only work well if you have the Dead-Eye longevity/recharge upgrades, but it might be worth a shot without to see how effective it is.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

After some exhaustive research, I have concluded that the American Standardbred just doesn't actually exist in the game. It's the ONLY thing I want to do before I continue on with the story. I have EVERYTHING else up until this point.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It spawns in Tall Trees near Beecher's Hope

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's difficult but you can do it. I suspect it's timing. I've only managed to do it a few times on accident. The cougar latches onto Marston's arm instead of knocking him over, they wrestle for a second, then he throws the cougar off. I think you still take slight damage from it, but you aren't knocked on your rear end.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

jvempire posted:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/6061/red_dead_redemption_title_update_coming_next_week.article

Don't know why They aren't doing systematically, maybe PS3 players are guinea pigs to them?! (Joking of course!)

They nerfed the XP you get from doing Solomon's Folly in Free Roam, that's why they did the PS3 first. So many tears on GameFaqs.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Philip J Fry posted:

They nerfed the XP you get from doing Solomon's Folly in Free Roam, that's why they did the PS3 first. So many tears on GameFaqs.

While I do think that sucks, I'm still more upset over the removal of that glitch where you can launch yourself into the atmosphere. I'm pretty sure it's been removed :(

:ssh:As far as I can tell, you can still throw knives in dead eye

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

liquidypoo posted:

:ssh:As far as I can tell, you can still throw knives in dead eye

As long as I can still use dynamite like a heat-seeking missile, patch away Rockstar. :allears:

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
So I got an achievement that was something like "dead on" but looking at what achievements are for I'm not seeing it. I was deadeyeing someone in the face when it came up but about 90% of my kills are headshots since I rocked at the first game and it seems to carry over to this one.

edit: Me llamo es Marston is great. Remember the nombre. Who knew Tommy Vercetti had a hero from the old west.

ProfessorGroove fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 12, 2010

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

Crows Turn Off posted:

After some exhaustive research, I have concluded that the American Standardbred just doesn't actually exist in the game. It's the ONLY thing I want to do before I continue on with the story. I have EVERYTHING else up until this point.

I spent two days looking for one of these, then I saw three at the same time while I was looking for voilet snowdrops. :arghfist:

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Houdini posted:

I spent two days looking for one of these, then I saw three at the same time while I was looking for voilet snowdrops. :arghfist:
Yeah, I said "gently caress it" a few minutes after I posted it, and went on to do a mission. Wouldn't you know, right after the mission ended, I saw one running in the distance just Northwest of Blackwood, up where it says "Great Plains." I snagged it and broke it and now it's mine. Buckin' Awesome. :clint:

Also, was anyone else disappointed in the Master Hunter Level 9 and 10 legendary animals? The only one that was neat was Khan, just because it was the only leopard in the game. I wish they would have made all of the legendary animals unique - Lobo the Arctic Wolf and Bruma the Polar Bear (since they were in the snowy part of Tall Trees). Gordo is kinda stuck as a boar, I guess.

There's this guy at work who keeps referring to Tall Trees as Canada. I mean, that's wrong, obviously, but I kind of considered that area to be like the Colorado section of the Wild West. Then you have the Great Plains, which kind of speaks for itself. I don't know what city Blackwater would be "representing" in this case, then - maybe something like St. Louis?

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 12, 2010

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
I just had the patch notification come up on 360. I'd really like to know what they fixed.

Here's hoping it'll unlock my Gentlemans Attire finally, I just want to look like a smooth son of a gun damnit

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I finally 100%'d the game tonight, and I also found a great way to use Dead-Eye that I wish I'd used a lot sooner. Basically, instead of doing the typical "Pop into Dead-Eye and select a bunch of targets THEN fire" I'm going into Dead-Eye and targeting one enemy, usually in the head, shooting without marking them with RB, instantly popping me out of Dead-Eye. Then I'll immediately go back into Dead-Eye mode and rinse/repeat for the rest of whatever enemy I'm trying to kill. This might only work well if you have the Dead-Eye longevity/recharge upgrades, but it might be worth a shot without to see how effective it is.

This is what I usually do since I can't be hosed to actually paint targets in Dead-Eye. I use Dead-Eye mainly to scope targets out that I can't see clearly, since Dead-Eye both slows down time and bumps up the contrast. Then I either take the guy out with a headshot or just note his position and take him out without Dead-Eye on. The only thing... I'm pretty sure Dead-Eye drains while you have it on, so while you're trying to line up a headshot you're using up more of your Dead-Eye than the target-painting option.

Oh, and as for Ross, I ended up sparing his family. I didn't really feel right once I was actually on the mission where you track him down, even though I was all ready to go in guns blazing earlier. I'm a little disappointed that Ross was a Draw event and that he went down like the dozens of others I shot in the face twenty times before their hand even touched their gun. I was expecting something more cathartic, but it was just me killing a grumpy old man.

Edit: VV Yeah, that's kinda what I meant. Something more humiliating and... dramatic?

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 12, 2010

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tewratomeh posted:

Oh, and as for Ross, I ended up sparing his family. I didn't really feel right once I was actually on the mission where you track him down, even though I was all ready to go in guns blazing earlier. I'm a little disappointed that Ross was a Draw event and that he went down like the dozens of others I shot in the face twenty times before their hand even touched their gun. I was expecting something more cathartic, but it was just me killing a grumpy old man.

I was really hoping it'd be like the ending in, say, Lost and the Damned or when you have to shoot Bill where you can take your time and listen to Ross turn into a total pussy before shooting him. Also if you loot him he has about $400 on him. Anyone forget to do that? The game of course doesn't mention that he's loving loaded. :v:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

sirbeefalot posted:

There is nothing I didn't like about chasing down (late Mexico I guess?) Escuella. He takes off on a horse, I shoot the horses legs out from under him. I ride up, disarm him and shoot him in the foot to slow him down, get off my horse to smack him around a little before lassoing him, and he loving grabs my horse and makes another break for it, so I murder my own horse and bring that fucker in.

Being able to (accurately) pop kneecaps and feet to slow people down is probably the most satisfying part of this game so far.

Why didn't you just lasso him off the back of the horse? Especially when it was your horse.

I had thought that would be a nonlethal way of solving the 'Senor he has stolen my wagon' mission but although you can lasso the driver and yank him right off the back of the wagon, he gets up shooting. Gonna have to try it with a stagecoach driver though.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Stolen wagons are the mini-missions that i consistently ignore. I just can't be bothered getting off my horse, man!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fonzarelli posted:

Stolen wagons are the mini-missions that i consistently ignore. I just can't be bothered getting off my horse, man!

I'm getting to the point where I ignore all of them. Half the time when someone yells "Help!" they just want to shoot you or steal your horse, so I just breeze past on my way to stabbing cougars to death or picking pretty flowers.

The only one I might (might) stop for is the very rare "Help, they took my wife/husband and they're gonna hang her/him!" You can do that one entirely on horseback and you feel pretty good about it afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tewratomeh posted:

I'm getting to the point where I ignore all of them. Half the time when someone yells "Help!" they just want to shoot you or steal your horse, so I just breeze past on my way to stabbing cougars to death or picking pretty flowers.

The only one I might (might) stop for is the very rare "Help, they took my wife/husband and they're gonna hang her/him!" You can do that one entirely on horseback and you feel pretty good about it afterwards.

You should still stop for the fake stagecoach holdups. You can kill all the bandits with one Dead-Eye burst, and then you just aim at the girl for ~10sec and she gives you about $50 and runs away. BUT, don't shoot her after she runs away, you lose honour for that.

• Locked thread