Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
Seems the patch was MP-centric

quote:

A Rockstar spokesperson said: "We have just deployed a fix that should address the issues some people have been experiencing in Red Dead Redemption online multiplayer.

"This fix should address a specific issue that was found where the player's multiplayer avatar, their horse or their weapons would occasionally not be visible in multiplayer games as well as an issue that some players were experiencing where they would lose connection to the various multiplayer modes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Tewratomeh posted:

Oh, and as for Ross, I ended up sparing his family. I didn't really feel right once I was actually on the mission where you track him down, even though I was all ready to go in guns blazing earlier. I'm a little disappointed that Ross was a Draw event and that he went down like the dozens of others I shot in the face twenty times before their hand even touched their gun. I was expecting something more cathartic, but it was just me killing a grumpy old man.

Edit: VV Yeah, that's kinda what I meant. Something more humiliating and... dramatic?

At the risk of sounding like an apologist, (even more ending stuff) I think it's done like that entirely on purpose, instead of being a lazy ending. You're supposed to feel underwhelmed and think "oh. Welp, that was that. His death did nothing to sate my anger / sense of injustice .

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mister Bung posted:

I believe that was the first patch, actually.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

muscles like this? posted:

Also when most people think poker they think Five Card Draw and not Texas Hold 'Em.

Five Card Draw = the most horrible kind of poker.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010
Sorry if this has been said before but did anyone else see any hypocrisy with Jack's actions near the end?
[Ending Spoilers]
I mean John killed hundreds of men and decided that just by leaving his old life behind and not killing anymore meant that he was in the good. But then Jack goes and kills Ross in cold blood even though Ross had left his old life as well. All Ross wanted to do was wither away in peace and do some fishing in Mexico. I mean sure he killed John and was a jerk about it but John was a mass murderer. Someone like that can't just leave that behind with no repercussions. I really found it hard to empathize with John through most of the game and honestly found myself thinking that Ross was the person with the most moral high ground.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Mr. Mutton Chops posted:

Sorry if this has been said before but did anyone else see any hypocrisy with Jack's actions near the end?
[Ending Spoilers]
I mean John killed hundreds of men and decided that just by leaving his old life behind and not killing anymore meant that he was in the good. But then Jack goes and kills Ross in cold blood even though Ross had left his old life as well. All Ross wanted to do was wither away in peace and do some fishing in Mexico. I mean sure he killed John and was a jerk about it but John was a mass murderer. Someone like that can't just leave that behind with no repercussions. I really found it hard to empathize with John through most of the game and honestly found myself thinking that Ross was the person with the most moral high ground.

That's fair enough to interpret the ending like that, it all depends on whose side you take, doesn't make it wrong.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mr. Mutton Chops posted:

[Ending Spoilers]

Well really, Ross was a mass-murderer too. The only difference is that Ross's murdering was done by proxy. He had other people do all the killing, but his agents terrorized and killed poor ranchers and drove them off the land to expand the government's influence and to acquire new land for Westward Expansion. Ross was a greedy, conniving rear end in a top hat who had no remorse for what he had his branch of the agency do.

But, granted, Ross was retired, so he wasn't actively doing anybody any harm. Killing him was nothing more than revenge, and in the end it solved nothing. But then again, nobody ever said it has to happen. It's all down to you, the player. I did, I wasn't satisfied, and I'm sure that was the whole point.

Edit: Also, I really don't think Ross had Dutch's gang hunted down and eliminated to "preserve the peace". He didn't have John killed because he was dangerous and needed to be put down for the safety of everyone. Ross knew that people like John didn't fit in to the world that the agency wanted to create, one of "civilized" and docile people doing what they're told. Domestication of human beings... that's what Ross and the agency wanted.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 12, 2010

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
When the opening gambit of your plan is to kidnap a woman and child to force someone to kill people for you, you are pretty much always going to be the rear end in a top hat in the story. When the final gambit in your plan is rushing a farm to gun down said woman and child in addition to the person you *actually* want to kill, you are a motherfucker. The only thing I wish the ending had was an option to lie and say you killed his wife and brother when you didn't. I mean hell, like he'd know you are lying. Little prick deserved to suffer.

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010

Wong Dongson posted:

When the opening gambit of your plan is to kidnap a woman and child to force someone to kill people for you, you are pretty much always going to be the rear end in a top hat in the story. When the final gambit in your plan is rushing a farm to gun down said woman and child in addition to the person you *actually* want to kill, you are a motherfucker. The only thing I wish the ending had was an option to lie and say you killed his wife and brother when you didn't. I mean hell, like he'd know you are lying. Little prick deserved to suffer.

Ross is a bad person, there's no doubt about that. But if John can leave his old life behind and live peacefully, then I don't see why Ross can't do it as well. He was retired and trying to get away from the bureau that kept pestering him because of his status of being a "hero" in the eyes of the government. If John can murder and steal and then just get away by not doing it anymore and living peacefully then Jack was kind of hypocritical in killing Ross because that's all Ross wanted to do. Also think of the wives and sons of the men John killed. Kidnapping 2 people to further selfish goals is quite bad, but doesn't the murder of hundreds seem a little worse? I really do love how this game can make you think in a way that few games can.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Hal Gill username posted:

Why didn't you just lasso him off the back of the horse? Especially when it was your horse.

I had thought that would be a nonlethal way of solving the 'Senor he has stolen my wagon' mission but although you can lasso the driver and yank him right off the back of the wagon, he gets up shooting. Gonna have to try it with a stagecoach driver though.

I was too stunned for a second when he grabbed my horse, and by the time I reacted he was 50 yards down the road and I was just feeling excessive. :clint:

(Also I don't think it was actually my horse, just the horse I grabbed at that point in the mission. There's two set out near the exit for that chase if I remember correctly.)

So what's this "launch yourself into the atmosphere" glitch? I had a minor thing that sounds sort of like this, I was doing a mission in a ruined small town in Mexico when I tried to take cover behind a small building, and instead John somehow leapt about 15 feet in the air and landed on the roof.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.

quote:

But if John can leave his old life behind and live peacefully

They made a game about his attempt to settle down and live peacefully. It was called Red Dead Redemption.

It didn't seem so peaceful. So if the central point of argument is "If John can leave it all behind", well then everyone playing the game knows he can't. So neither can anyone else if everything is totally fair.

Also

quote:

but doesn't the murder of hundreds seem a little worse?

Nope. Fucker picks up a badge, he's expected to be better than a thug with a gun.

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010

Wong Dongson posted:

They made a game about his attempt to settle down and live peacefully. It was called Red Dead Redemption.

It didn't seem so peaceful. So if the central point of argument is "If John can leave it all behind", well then everyone playing the game knows he can't. So neither can anyone else if everything is totally fair.

Also

Nope. Fucker picks up a badge, he's expected to be better than a thug with a gun.

Fair enough on both arguments. Again I really do like how the game is a bit open to how you view the characters and the ending.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mister Bung posted:

That was the first one.

Here's the new patch...

quote:

An automatic title update (version 1.02) is now available for Red Dead Redemption on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. You will be prompted to download the title update as soon as you sign into PSN or Xbox LIVE.

The main issues fixed by the title update are as follows:
-Resolved various NAT incompatibility issues
-Improved connectivity to multiplayer for users with slower connections
-Improved reporting for Shootout and Gang Shootout games
-Fixed instance where Mo Van Barr would not appear as a bounty
-Fixed multiplayer titles not appearing for some users in the outfitter
-Fixed instance where lawmen stopped responding even though the player was wanted
-Fixed Issue with hogtied victims disappearing when ragdolled
-Fixed crash in Free Mode when cooking dynamite and going into the water
-Fixed audible glitch at the end of some cutscenes
-Fixed Solomon’s Folly Action Area not ending after posse leader teleports in late
-Corrected Social Club 100% Tracker so stats update properly
-Various multiplayer issues addressed including load screen hang-ups and UI glitches
-Eliminated miscellaneous game crashes

Additionally, this update includes support for a new playlist by popular demand, Hardcore Free Roam supporting only expert aim. This playlist will be released once this title update has time to propagate on both consoles.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 12, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I think I mentioned something like this before where (yes, more end of the game spoilers)there really isn't a difference between Ross and John. Both men are responsible for wholesale slaughter. Ross tries to create a difference by saying he's doing this for 'civilization' but in the end, he's just like John Marston: a man who kills on a fantastic level for an end. If anything, he comes off worse than John because Ross's behavior doesn't have a way or a method for guilt and regret. Marston feels some regret for his actions and is trying to make it right because every man he kills, he did so personally. Ross uses technology that not only will making death easier and more efficient but removes the guilt from the equation. John isn't a perfect character and has a lot of blood on his hands, but its his hands. Ross goes by proxy and thinks that absolves him of guilt and it doesn't by a long shot. In the end, both men think they can always walk away from it and detach themselves. Both are proven wrong when they get someone knocking on their door and filling them with bullets.

Note, however, that John Marston shows more humanity in his death than Ross does in his: Marston is scared and knows he's going to die and sacrifices himself for his family. Ross, however, starts screaming like a bitch and making threats and ends up dying alone while trying to defend his actions and his masculinity against a very young and bitter man who completely dominates him. Marston comes off better because he shows regret: he's not above redemption and the raising of his son shows that. Ross, on the other hand, would probably never get God/Death talking to him because he'll never grasp what he's done. For Ross, he's all business, civilization, and bureaucracy, and other devices designed to shift or obscure blame. Notice how his last words to Jack touch upon this and how he thinks his threats and his position will actually stop Jack from not destroying him. Marston dies a man; Ross simply dies like an animal.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes
Just a few helpful hunting tips. First off the red dead wiki is pretty spot on AND you in game map's animal icons are too.

I got all hunting challenges done up to the Elk and bighorn before West Elizabeth without a hitch. The only problems I had was not getting murdered by cougars while skinning dead cougars.

Ranks 1-3 shouldn't be a problem, they are the most plentiful animals I've seen in the game (coyote, deer, wolves).

Rank 4, boars can be found north of McFarlane's ranch near the train tracks and up "the hill" near the boar icon on your map. They seem to like coming out at night. Bait may help, but if a different animal comes out, TURN AROUND and see what's behind you. You shouldn't be having any trouble with Armadillos, but if you are you can check anywhere in Mexico and anywhere in New Austin that cactus grow.

Rank 5 Cougars can be found in Rio Bravo in the hills, but I hunted them on the road that borders the river separating you from Mexico (I liked the area between Plainview and the bridge to Mexico), they can take some patience, but I didn't have to wait long, my main problem was dying to a second or third cougar while skinning another. Shoot them once or twice before you knife if you want to soften them up, but beware, they will try to flee. You can also block their attack while wielding your knife (like in barfights). Bait can work, but it usually got me coyotes. Another tip is use a wagon/stagecoach; you will be safe while you're on it.

Rank 6
Racoons: They are freaking everywhere (when you're not looking for them). I murdered many racoons in Armadillo at night and also all around Hennigan's Stead at night. They weren't a problem. (also, if you see a rabbit, turn around, there's probably a racoon to the side or behind you; I swear).

Skunks: Anywhere you've seen armadillos you will also find skunks. If you're in Mexico ride along the railroad tracks from Chuparose to Butter Bridge; this route is lousy with skunks I guess they want to catch a train. They are most active at sunrise and sunset it seemed for me. They should not be a problem.

Foxes: They were problematic for me because I am an idiot and thought they were coyotes half of the time. Their "bark" is similar they just don't do the yelping thing afterwards. Go to Two Crows, they were god drat everywhere in Two Crows (there is a fox and wolf icon on the map there). Foxes should be the easiest thing to find for this rank.

Rank 7:
Bighorn: You can easily get these in the Northern borders of New Austin between Twin Rocks and Rathseller Fork, there are boatloads of them.

Elk: If you can't find these you're cursed. They're all over Tall Trees. I stopped killing them after the challenge, because they're just tricking you (the bears are waiting to rape you while you skin them).

Rank 8:
In Tall Trees you don't have to find bears, the bears find you! Seriously, just check the icon on the map. If you want to make it safer, take a wagon. To get the knife kill, soften him up a bit and then chase him down and hope he hasn't called for reinforcements.

No comment on legendary hunts, go to the area and they'll pop up on your minimap and find you.

Beavers:
I found beavers while riding from the railroad camp to Manzanita Post; the thing is, in my retard eyes they didn't look like beavers and I didn't shoot them half the time. You can also check near the rivers and the wreck of the Serendipity. My main problem was dying for various reasons after finding and skinning beavers.

Rabbits:
Rabbits are god drat everywhere in single player. They spawn out of thin air in front of me when I'm riding around on my horse. Hell, if you see one, TURN AROUND there's probably a racoon/skunk/armadillo/fox/etc. freshly spawned behind you if you see a rabbit.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I never have any problem getting attacked trying to skin animals ever since I started doing the skinning "glitch." Park your horse on the dead animal, hop off your horses, press the "Skin Animal" button, he won't do the animation and it'll just start giving you the items, then hop back on your horse and ride away. Since the Dismount, Skin Animal, and Ride Horse button are all the same, pressing the button three times right in a row does it all. It seriously takes less than a second to skin animals of any size now.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 12, 2010

JonSausage
Dec 14, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

The key to arm wrestling is to tap the button when they're resting, and to hold the button when they're trying to push. Look at their face to see what they're doing.
Oh shoot, I hadn't noticed this. Thanks you!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

You should still stop for the fake stagecoach holdups. You can kill all the bandits with one Dead-Eye burst, and then you just aim at the girl for ~10sec and she gives you about $50 and runs away. BUT, don't shoot her after she runs away, you lose honour for that.
I like tying her up and chuckling as I take her on an adventure with me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I do wish they'd brought Jack into the story earlier though. I really enjoyed the father-son thing they had at the end of the game, along with having to do all sorts of semi-mundane rancher stuff as John unlike in earlier Rockstar games where the story immediately ends after reaching the climax. Having Jack appear earlier in the game would've fleshed out the relationship between John and his son more and given John's death, and Jack's revenge even more impact. That said, the overall concept of having the main character's son take over for his father, receiving his outfits, weapons and money is pretty cool. And I don't mind playing as Jack that much, of course he's not as much of a badass as John was. Though his VO sounds weirdly like Jake Gyllenhaal.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

End game plot stuff

Well put.

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
I was playing MP last night and I could swear I shot at a guy but he blocked the bullet with his knife! Granted I was a little drunk, but it looked like there was a spark on his knife and the sound of a bullet reflecting off metal.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Is there a way to get rid of the auto-paint targeting from Dead Eye level 2? Because it's really irritating, I like just slowing time and shooting at my own leisure.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Dr Geek posted:

I was playing MP last night and I could swear I shot at a guy but he blocked the bullet with his knife! Granted I was a little drunk, but it looked like there was a spark on his knife and the sound of a bullet reflecting off metal.
Did he drop the knife? I haven't played MP yet much at all but I assume it's the same effect as disarming someone by shooting at their weapon in single player.

Bloodcider posted:

Is there a way to get rid of the auto-paint targeting from Dead Eye level 2? Because it's really irritating, I like just slowing time and shooting at my own leisure.
You have to play on, you'll eventually get the level 3 Dead Eye which doesn't do the automatic target painting.

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
No, he kept the knife and stabbed me with it.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Wong Dongson posted:

The only thing I wish the ending had was an option to lie and say you killed his wife and brother when you didn't.

I did.

Mice Everywhere
Sep 7, 2007

I love animal porn! So F* you if you don't accept that!

Dr Geek posted:

This happened to me once in GTA4, only I was the blocker (totally on accident). The guy was like "oh god what" and then I carved him like a christmas turkey. :c00lbutt:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

sirbeefalot posted:

So what's this "launch yourself into the atmosphere" glitch? I had a minor thing that sounds sort of like this, I was doing a mission in a ruined small town in Mexico when I tried to take cover behind a small building, and instead John somehow leapt about 15 feet in the air and landed on the roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWikijxlqgA

Basically you have to exit cover, then go back in while aiming whatever gun you have equipped. You have to time it well, too, which is why this guy fucks up a few times in the video. As far as I know, it was only possible at the MacFarlane ranch, where he's doing it.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Philip J Fry posted:

They nerfed the XP you get from doing Solomon's Folly in Free Roam, that's why they did the PS3 first. So many tears on GameFaqs.

This made me very sad :smith: I used that to grind my way to the second legendary and now I'm stuck DEAD at 33 at the sheriff rank.

Looks like I aint gettin no white buffalo for a while!

jvempire
May 10, 2009

liquidypoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWikijxlqgA

Basically you have to exit cover, then go back in while aiming whatever gun you have equipped. You have to time it well, too, which is why this guy fucks up a few times in the video. As far as I know, it was only possible at the MacFarlane ranch, where he's doing it.
It happened to me randomly during a mexico mission before the patch.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Shortymrbig posted:

This made me very sad :smith: I used that to grind my way to the second legendary and now I'm stuck DEAD at 33 at the sheriff rank.

Looks like I aint gettin no white buffalo for a while!

It wouldn't be so bad except there's nothing in MP that gives decent XP other than hideouts (which are also low in contrast) so getting to legendary ranks let alone level 50 once is just a loving grindfest. I really hate the 'prestiging' model in every MP game that's used it. I guess it's fitting that it only came about once the ADD generation showed up.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Looks like Twin Rocks got nerfed too. I just did a solo run of 1:15, max kill streak, no deaths, clean house bonus, and got 433 xp for my troubles. Here's hoping the co-op DLC gives some kind of decent XP (it won't).

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Mylan posted:

Looks like Twin Rocks got nerfed too. I just did a solo run of 1:15, max kill streak, no deaths, clean house bonus, and got 433 xp for my troubles. Here's hoping the co-op DLC gives some kind of decent XP (it won't).

Thank god I didn't prestige.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Can't you just clear the cache to revert back to pre-patch and run around offline? Granted you'll have to get the patch to go online again but if your only goal is to hit level 50 it wouldn't take that long.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

So is the poncho still bugged or did the new patch fix it?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tewratomeh posted:

The only one I might (might) stop for is the very rare "Help, they took my wife/husband and they're gonna hang her/him!" You can do that one entirely on horseback and you feel pretty good about it afterwards.

I hate those guys. It's not that I mind the mission (it's actually kind of fun) but they only ever seem to come find me when I'm busy doing something else, like hunting or picking flowers and I can't leave the area. I've taken to just shooting them in the face before they can finish talking. I have flowers to pick rear end in a top hat

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Anybody remember this old quote from an "insider source":

quote:

"It will take 5 million sales at full price to recoup the development costs of Red Dead. The good news is they [Rockstar] are not expecting to make money with Red Dead Redemption. At this point, that project is just supposed to prove that the San Diego studio can make a great quality AAA title."

Well...

quote:

Rockstar parent company Take-Two Interactive announced today [June 8] as part of its strong second-quarter earnings report that the game has now sold more than 5 million units and is set to turn a profit in its first quarter on sale.

Congrats, Rockstar.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GhostDog posted:

Anybody remember this old quote from an "insider source":

Well...

Congrats, Rockstar.

Well at least one of their studios can make a quality AAA title now.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

IRQ posted:

Meow. Saucer of milk?

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

IRQ posted:

You don't think San Andreas and Vice City are quality AAA titles?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm trying to 100% the game and all I have left is bounty missions. I need to do some in Mexico and some in West Elizabeth. Now, I know that Blackwater is the only place in West Elizabeth to get bounties but is Chuparosa the only place in Mexico?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I recall plenty of bounties being posted in Escalera. Across the way from the gunsmith, up the hill a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Additionally, this update includes support for a new playlist by popular demand, Hardcore Free Roam supporting only expert aim. This playlist will be released once this title update has time to propagate on both consoles.

This was the last really big flaw in multiplayer. It's amazing to see a game company that can both make an awesome game and listen to the people who play it.

• Locked thread