Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

IRQ posted:

Well at least one of their studios can make a quality AAA title now.

Table Tennis might've been a quality AAA title, but I wouldn't know because it's loving table tennis.

But then you have most of the GTA series, The Warriors and Bully. I wouldn't call them "Quality AAA", but then that phrase is mostly meaningless. They're just really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'd like to play some online sometime tonight if anyone wants to posse up. Just hit me up on AIM when you want to play.

AIM/PSN: Haveyoumetconnor

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

Here's the new patch...

The main issues fixed by the title update are as follows:
-Resolved various NAT incompatibility issues
-Improved connectivity to multiplayer for users with slower connections
-Improved reporting for Shootout and Gang Shootout games
-Fixed instance where Mo Van Barr would not appear as a bounty
-Fixed multiplayer titles not appearing for some users in the outfitter
-Fixed instance where lawmen stopped responding even though the player was wanted
-Fixed Issue with hogtied victims disappearing when ragdolled
-Fixed crash in Free Mode when cooking dynamite and going into the water
-Fixed audible glitch at the end of some cutscenes
-Fixed Solomon’s Folly Action Area not ending after posse leader teleports in late
-Corrected Social Club 100% Tracker so stats update properly
-Various multiplayer issues addressed including load screen hang-ups and UI glitches
-Eliminated miscellaneous game crashes

Additionally, this update includes support for a new playlist by popular demand, Hardcore Free Roam supporting only expert aim. This playlist will be released once this title update has time to propagate on both consoles.

Expert Free Roam, awesome. No more cheap lock on kills that get me so worked up I want to throw my controller.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

God damnit, aside from multiplayer I've effectively finished the game, and just seeing the drat commercials are making me want to play it again. THIS loving GAME.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
Even people who aren't great at the game should want to play on the Hard Core free roam simply by virtue of the fact that it'll probably be harder to grief people. With normal or casual aiming pretty much as soon as you get within X distance of a person either you or he will High Power SMG the other player to death. People can actually escape when you're forced to either risk losing them for a long range (horse)kill or pursue and be less accurate.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stare-Out posted:

I do wish they'd brought Jack into the story earlier though. I really enjoyed the father-son thing they had at the end of the game, along with having to do all sorts of semi-mundane rancher stuff as John unlike in earlier Rockstar games where the story immediately ends after reaching the climax. Having Jack appear earlier in the game would've fleshed out the relationship between John and his son more and given John's death, and Jack's revenge even more impact. That said, the overall concept of having the main character's son take over for his father, receiving his outfits, weapons and money is pretty cool. And I don't mind playing as Jack that much, of course he's not as much of a badass as John was. Though his VO sounds weirdly like Jake Gyllenhaal.

Well put.

I think the whole point was that neither John nor Jack had a father figure in their lives

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there a known bug with Unnatural Selection? I have killed at least one of every animal and I have nothing.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Captain Charisma posted:

Is there a known bug with Unnatural Selection? I have killed at least one of every animal and I have nothing.

No, you probably just missed one. Or killed one and then died before it auto-saved. Run through the checklist again.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You're probably missing ducks or seagulls

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

IRQ posted:

Well at least one of their studios can make a quality AAA title now.

Say what you want about Rockstar North and GTA, but don't forget about Bully and Rockstar Vancouver. That game was solid.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mylan posted:

No, you probably just missed one. Or killed one and then died before it auto-saved. Run through the checklist again.

Figured it out: I've killed bucks, seagulls, and foxes...and the game isn't listing them :psyduck:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Attention PS3 owners wanting to keep going Legendary but are screwed by 1.02! People with way too much time on their hands have found a workaround to getting Pre-1.02 XP for it

I haven't tried it as there's no way in hell I want to go Legendary but I think there are a few people stuck in Mid-Legendary so here you are.

KungfooMF
Feb 21, 2002

I know it is all edgy to say GTA4 was this terrible game and not a "AAA Quality" title. But hey, gently caress quality when the drat thing sells 17 million copies and is the highest ranked game on metacritic. But yeah, metacritic is crap and sales numbers can't save the game from being a terrible, terrible mess.

I couldn't get the game to recognize that I killed a duck until I took its feathers...

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I just bought the Limited Edition for PS3 off an auction site because it is sold out everywhere here in town and I am very excited to play it. The thing is the codes have been used, though I do not really care. I am just wondering what I am missing out on? Is it only a horse? I never seem to get the ups and downs of these special codes for the game.

Thanks.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Captain Charisma posted:

Did you kill a songbird?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

porktree posted:

Did you kill a songbird?

The birds are going to be the ones that really mess you up since they're in the sky and not easily identifiable. I got Sharpshooter Rank 5 five seconds after Rank 4 because I went into dead eye to get a few more birds for the feathers and it qualified.

Did you get an eagle as well?

Edit: All this GTA IV talk makes me wonder if this is canonical to the GTA series. It probably isn't, but it would be hilarious if a future DLC has the forming state of San Andreas in there. Especially if Las Venturas is just empty space without any water.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 13, 2010

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

All this GTA IV talk makes me wonder if this is canonical to the GTA series.

Red Dead Redemption stands so well on its own, and has such a different feel to it, that to tie it in the Rockstar universe would probably spoil it. I actually half-expected them to mention Liberty City at some point in the game, since Rockstar just loves continuity with all their other series. At least with their sandbox games.

Except Bully, but then some sick part of me likes to imagine that Jimmy Hopkins grows up to be alias "James Earl Cash".

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

The birds are going to be the ones that really mess you up since they're in the sky and not easily identifiable. I got Sharpshooter Rank 5 five seconds after Rank 4 because I went into dead eye to get a few more birds for the feathers and it qualified.

It took me forever to complete the challenge, 4 I think, where you shoot birds on a train. I got Sharpshooter challenge 5 done something like 5 seconds later and challenge 6 done 20 seconds later by shooting two dudes hats off as they sat on the train.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
If you shoot into a tree you'll scare out a bunch of birds. That's how I did the train -> bird challenge.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

If you shoot into a tree you'll scare out a bunch of birds. That's how I did the train -> bird challenge.

If I throw a stick of dynamite into a house I'll scare a bunch of home steaders. :v:

Speaking of which, can you "burn down" any house in this game? Mexico Gang Hideout spoiler Outside of the handful in Nosalida that is.

JonSausage
Dec 14, 2009
Just finished the main story with 93.9 %... Wow, I have never got such closure from a game... I admit that I couldn't keep from laughing when it first showed grown up Jack. I thought it was ghost John with a fancy new moustache. After I found the stranger in Blackwater and asked him about Ross, I went to buy the last part of the U.S. Army uniform, and wore that as I went to find the son of a bitch. I killed him wearing the Army uniform and with the high-power pistol he gave to John. Blew two holes out of his head I did. Sweet vengeance. This whole experience was incredible, I loved every moment of it. The credits made me sad because John Marston never got to see Bonnie again.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Golgozor posted:

Rank 4, boars can be found north of McFarlane's ranch near the train tracks and up "the hill" near the boar icon on your map. They seem to like coming out at night.

There's heeeeeeeeeaps of boars around the Hennigan's Stead end of the rail bridge that goes to the Union Pacific rail camp, at the northern edge of Stillwater Creek, day and night. Be warned though, there's also shitloads of cougars who will gently caress your poo poo up whilst you're skinning the boars.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Is there some trick to the 'Shoot Two Hats Off Two Different People Within Five Seconds' challenge? I did it in single player easily. Hell, I do it in multiplayer easily as well, but the game just won't credit me with completing it. I just did it three times at the Tesoro Azul gang hideout, no missed shots, easily within three seconds, let alone five. This is getting really frustrating, I bitched about it in the last thread too, I was hoping after a couple weeks and a new patch it'd have finally been fixed.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Biggabam posted:

This whole experience was incredible, I loved every moment of it. The credits made me sad because John Marston never got to see Bonnie again.

Yeah he did. He sees her when he goes to get some cattle from her and takes his wife, who's incredibly jealous. It's one of the first rancher missions. Personally, I think she's coming back for a future DLC since the last time we see her doesn't seem like an ending by any means.

Still, it's an awesome game.

quote:

Is there some trick to the 'Shoot Two Hats Off Two Different People Within Five Seconds' challenge?

I got it accidentally when I was trying to do the Five American Hideouts in one game day thing. Sadly, the game didn't tell me I unlocked the outfit until I checked, which wasn't helpful.

quote:

Red Dead Redemption stands so well on its own, and has such a different feel to it, that to tie it in the Rockstar universe would probably spoil it. I actually half-expected them to mention Liberty City at some point in the game, since Rockstar just loves continuity with all their other series. At least with their sandbox games.

Except Bully, but then some sick part of me likes to imagine that Jimmy Hopkins grows up to be alias "James Earl Cash".

Manhunt exists in the same universe as GTA does. Liberty City Stories confirmed this on their radio stations, and there were some rumors that I can't remember the origins that said that the old Liberty City setup from LCS had a closed off tunnel that supposedly went to Carcer City as an in-joke. Personally, I wouldn't be that upset if West Elizabeth, New Austin, and the Mexican states were right next to San Andreas. It would just be another neat connection that would have no real effect on gameplay.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 13, 2010

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Manhunt exists in the same universe as GTA does. Liberty City Stories confirmed this on their radio stations, and there were some rumors that I can't remember the origins that said that the old Liberty City setup from LCS had a closed off tunnel that supposedly went to Carcer City as an in-joke. Personally, I wouldn't be that upset if West Elizabeth, New Austin, and the Mexican states were right next to San Andreas. It would just be another neat connection that would have no real effect on gameplay.

There are several explicit references to New York in general and Manhattan in particular in RDR, which of course do not exist in the GTA continuity; they're not set in the same universe.

edit: not to mention, of course, the stranger mission "California" that explicitly references California

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 13, 2010

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Listening to the radio today, I have to wonder how nobody at Rockstar thought to license the song Bad Company for ads. It's pretty much perfect for a loving western.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Guys, has anyone had problems with the (multiplayer) Sharpshooter II Rank 3 challenge not registering? I've one-shotted like six bears in the face, and I just can't seem to get the challenge. First I thought it could've been because I had the Master Hunter challenge with five bears active at the same time, but the Sharpshooter challenge still won't register now that I've beaten the Hunter one.

Also bears in multiplayer are so loving disappointing. Why the hell are they so ridiculously weak? I mean seriously, one slash with the knife to the side or whatever = instant kill.

:negative:

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Anybody else finding themselves listening to more "western" type music outside of when they're on the game?

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

muscles like this? posted:

I'm trying to 100% the game and all I have left is bounty missions. I need to do some in Mexico and some in West Elizabeth. Now, I know that Blackwater is the only place in West Elizabeth to get bounties but is Chuparosa the only place in Mexico?

You can check what bounties you're missing by looking at your stats, their are 8 in New Austin, 8 in Mexico and 4 in West Elizabeth.

El Seano posted:

Anybody else finding themselves listening to more "western" type music outside of when they're on the game?

I used to have a couple of cd's filled with nothing but Ennio Morricone that I listened to in the car all the time.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

Golgozor fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 13, 2010

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

El Seano posted:

Since I got the game I've watched all three of the movies in the Dollars trilogy (A Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, The Good The Bad and The Ugly) if that counts. Along with what I said in my last post.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

For those of you with the soundtrack, when was the song Already Dead played in the game? I don't recall ever hearing it anywhere except my laptop.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Since I got the game I've watched all three of the movies in the Dollars trilogy (A Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, The Good The Bad and The Ugly) if that counts. Along with what I said in my last post.

When I was younger my uncle owned a theater and showed the classic Clint Eastwood westerns between new releases so I was fortunate enough to see them on the big screen. Those are the only movies I even remember watching there. I was hoping Lee Van Cleef would show up as a voice in this game but apparently he died in 1989.

ProfessorGroove fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 13, 2010

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Quick Unnatural Selection question - do you have to skin a dog and a pig aswell? I was loving around being a dick and decided to knife a dog in town and a pig in the pen in Thieves' Landing, and you could skin them both.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RedneckwithGuns posted:

On the off chance that people who have played this game haven't seen these movies, I think that this clip sums up why this game is a beautiful tribute to those movies. The poncho, the deadeye system, the dueling cinematography, the mule (more of a multiplayer thing I guess), it's all there. I'm surprised it took this long to make a truly great western game, but I'm absolutely satisfied with the result.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ainsley McTree posted:

On the off chance that people who have played this game haven't seen these movies, I think that this clip sums up why this game is a beautiful tribute to those movies. The poncho, the deadeye system, the dueling cinematography, the mule (more of a multiplayer thing I guess), it's all there. I'm surprised it took this long to make a truly great western game, but I'm absolutely satisfied with the result.

I really would have liked a few set-pieces like that, basically a duel against several people where you need to take every one of them out in the Deadeye time limit of fail the mission.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Gazmachine posted:

Quick Unnatural Selection question - do you have to skin a dog and a pig aswell? I was loving around being a dick and decided to knife a dog in town and a pig in the pen in Thieves' Landing, and you could skin them both.

No, domestic animals aren't on the list. If you think you should have the achievement, you can check your stats, see every animal you've ever killed and check it against the list.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
You don't even have to skin them, just capping them off will do.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

shadok posted:

No, domestic animals aren't on the list. If you think you should have the achievement, you can check your stats, see every animal you've ever killed and check it against the list.

Cheers buddy. turns out I'm missing a seagull and that's it. Right you shore dwelling fuckers, it's go time. :clint:

EDIT: Oh poo poo, been looking at the Social Club stats for the first time. I have this thing where I really, really hate shooting horses, it's the saddest thing in the world to hear a horse give out that sad, stilted whinny and just sort of flop over, so I really, really make a point of not shooting them.

My stats tell me I've killed 117 domestic horses...

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 13, 2010

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gazmachine posted:

It's really easy to hit the horse when you're aiming for the rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

KungfooMF posted:

I know it is all edgy to say GTA4 was this terrible game and not a "AAA Quality" title. But hey, gently caress quality when the drat thing sells 17 million copies and is the highest ranked game on metacritic. But yeah, metacritic is crap and sales numbers can't save the game from being a terrible, terrible mess.

I couldn't get the game to recognize that I killed a duck until I took its feathers...

Terrible, terrible mess? Wow, you guys are a trip sometimes. It seems like everyone at Rockstar groped your mom the way people get all butthurt about GTA4. It was a good-to-great game, but it's sooooo cool to say it was lovely just because it wasn't as "wacky" as GTASA.

Gazmachine posted:

Cheers buddy. turns out I'm missing a seagull and that's it. Right you shore dwelling fuckers, it's go time. :clint:

EDIT: Oh poo poo, been looking at the Social Club stats for the first time. I have this thing where I really, really hate shooting horses, it's the saddest thing in the world to hear a horse give out that sad, stilted whinny and just sort of flop over, so I really, really make a point of not shooting them.

It's probably from the gatling gun missions. I know that's where I killed most of my poor horses.

Also, I can't get the "haunted" Tumbleweed stuff to work. Can't see any bats, or here any noise. Do you have to be there are a certain time or something?

• Locked thread