Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sco Dylan posted:

Also, I can't get the "haunted" Tumbleweed stuff to work. Can't see any bats, or here any noise. Do you have to be there are a certain time or something?

At 6pm some bats will swarm out of the mansion but I'm fairly sure you can't shoot them. I dunno about any of the other haunted stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sco Dylan posted:

Also, I can't get the "haunted" Tumbleweed stuff to work. Can't see any bats, or here any noise. Do you have to be there are a certain time or something?

I think all the haunted stuff is just bugs.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Aphrodite posted:

It's really easy to hit the horse when you're aiming for the rider.

I had absolutely no problems with killing horses during the course of a mission. Sometimes I'd aim right for the horses if there were a lot of guys approaching from far away. The horses are easier to hit and it slows the attackers down quite a bit.

I try to hit the riders whenever I can, but if I'm being pursued like, say, after a bounty and I just want a guy off my rear end I might whip out a shotgun and aim for his horse's head or something. It's not pretty, but sometimes you just want to get back to town and collect your pay and move on...

...:clint:

(That smilie's getting a lot of mileage in this thread)

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
At the end, I wish it gave me the option not to kill Ross. It seems that Jack should have at least had the chance to decide not to get revenge, to prove that John had succeeded in raising him to be a better man than either he or Ross ever could be. Just some kind of confrontation, maybe ending with Jack scaring or injuring him but not killing. I guess you could just not ever go find him at all, but there's no closure there.

...Not that I would have taken it. I just think it should have been an option. Personally I made sure to have the Mauser equipped for that mission. My reasoning was that if asked "How many bullets do you want to put through this person," Jack's response would almost certainly be "As many as possible."

Also, I annoyed/amused my wife as she watched me play, because I kept attempting to use dynamite (or fire bombs) to solve any and every problem. Bar brawl? Dynamite. Bandits robbing a coach? Dynamite. Man at the bank takes a teller hostage? Dynamite. This almost always results in failure, but spectacular failure is more fun than boring success.

Using dynamite when hunting is fun though. It's surprising that it generally leaves intact carcasses when a high-powered rifle wouldn't. The mission where you have to protect a corn silo from a flock of crows can be finished in about three seconds flat with a single well-aimed stick of TNT, and you end up with plenty of feathers to collect afterward.

Tewratomeh posted:

I try to hit the riders whenever I can, but if I'm being pursued like, say, after a bounty and I just want a guy off my rear end I might whip out a shotgun and aim for his horse's head or something.
If you kill off all the attackers who follow you when you're carrying a bounty target, the game starts the timer (maybe 30 seconds) before it sends another wave. If you kill their horses, the attackers just ineffectively run after you for a while, but since they aren't dead the game takes much longer before it decides to send more goons to get you. If it's a long/hard ride back to the jail, this can be really helpful.

To be honest though, most of the time I just like shooting horses. It's fun.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 13, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

There are several explicit references to New York in general and Manhattan in particular in RDR, which of course do not exist in the GTA continuity; they're not set in the same universe.

edit: not to mention, of course, the stranger mission "California" that explicitly references California

Both San Andreas and GTA IV had references to their real life counterparts as well, especially in the music. Rockstar isn't too careful about that but loves referencing other games. For all we know, California in RDR could mean San Andreas, the area around it, or a mystical land like El Dorado.

Either or, it's not like it's gonna happen anyway. ;)

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK

El Seano posted:

Anybody else finding themselves listening to more "western" type music outside of when they're on the game?

I've been listening to this album a lot after getting the game. Its sure to get you in the right mood.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

God drat it, most people when they say they're having problems with Unnatural Selection are missing things like ducks or seagulls. It turns out that I had never killed a WILD horse and that's what I needed.

Two more bounty missions and I get 100%. I think this will be the first game I've ever really done that for.

Edit: Wooo, Redeemed. Also kind of weird, on my last bounty mission in Mexico I had a guy chasing me on a donkey.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 13, 2010

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
To add to the discussion about whether Tumbleweed is really haunted or not, I was just playing poker in Armadillo and one of the players said "You don't wanna go out to Tumbleweed, that place has got some baaaaad spirits"

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
To add to being influenced by games, RDR has totally got me hooked on Firefly, which I lost interest in early on when I last tried to watch it. Funny how these tangental influences actually work.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

God drat it, most people when they say they're having problems with Unnatural Selection are missing things like ducks or seagulls. It turns out that I had never killed a WILD horse and that's what I needed.

Two more bounty missions and I get 100%. I think this will be the first game I've ever really done that for.

Edit: Wooo, Redeemed. Also kind of weird, on my last bounty mission in Mexico I had a guy chasing me on a donkey.

Same here. The only thing I'm missing is a duck (apparently I missed a save when I killed one) and a beaver.

The beavers haunt me, man. Grumble.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Same here. The only thing I'm missing is a duck (apparently I missed a save when I killed one) and a beaver.

Yeah, beavers are a little iffy. You can sometimes find them right where it says you can (North side of the river between Cholo Springs and Tall Trees), and other times not at all. Somebody earlier said they found a random one wandering around in the middle of the desert. I had the most luck with the hilly, rocky area just to the west/northwest of the Manzanita Outpost. Just watch for wolves, and the occasional bear

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

The western most point of the southern range here, right along the road, is absolutely crawling with beavers, I got 7 or so in about one day cycle (beavers are daytime spawns). Also got enough Elk and Bighorn Sheep there for that hunting challenge.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
No one mentioned it as far as I could see, but Yahtzee mostly panned the game right HERE.
I dunno, I never ran into any of the bugs you people mention, except for one time falling out of the world while I was getting out of cover and the mentioned difficulty with small ledges or climbing on rocks sometimes. Never had anything morph, never had horses get stuck in walls/each other... I dunno. Played it on PS3, if that makes a difference, maybe the 360 version is more prone to the weird bugs? Seems like most of those crazy videos are of the 360 version. (you can tell by the button prompts)

Either way, most of his complaints are pretty valid and have been mentioned in this thread already, though I still don't get the hate for Euphoria... pushing hookers down stairs seriously doesn't get old. My only major complaint is that if someone is leaning on a railing or near a railing and you shove them, they mostly crumple to the floor and don't end up flipping over the railing and taking a dive.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Mr. Mutton Chops posted:

Sorry if this has been said before but did anyone else see any hypocrisy with Jack's actions near the end?
[Ending Spoilers]
I mean John killed hundreds of men and decided that just by leaving his old life behind and not killing anymore meant that he was in the good. But then Jack goes and kills Ross in cold blood even though Ross had left his old life as well. All Ross wanted to do was wither away in peace and do some fishing in Mexico. I mean sure he killed John and was a jerk about it but John was a mass murderer. Someone like that can't just leave that behind with no repercussions. I really found it hard to empathize with John through most of the game and honestly found myself thinking that Ross was the person with the most moral high ground.

Dude, totally. You play this game as a bad person just a bad person with a family.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I swear to loving god the game messes with the spawning for whatever you're supposed to be hunting. I've been running through Tall Trees trying to shoot Elk and Bighorn and all I'm getting are Boar and Bears. I finally get a break and get a whole herd of Elk and some Bighorns and then a drat bear comes out of nowhere and kills me :argh: Seriously, I've killed more than a dozen bears and boars and I cannot find a single Elk. They were all over the place when I wasn't supposed to hunt them.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Fuzz posted:

No one mentioned it as far as I could see, but Yahtzee mostly panned the game right HERE.
I dunno, I never ran into any of the bugs you people mention, except for one time falling out of the world while I was getting out of cover and the mentioned difficulty with small ledges or climbing on rocks sometimes. Never had anything morph, never had horses get stuck in walls/each other... I dunno. Played it on PS3, if that makes a difference, maybe the 360 version is more prone to the weird bugs? Seems like most of those crazy videos are of the 360 version. (you can tell by the button prompts)

Either way, most of his complaints are pretty valid and have been mentioned in this thread already, though I still don't get the hate for Euphoria... pushing hookers down stairs seriously doesn't get old. My only major complaint is that if someone is leaning on a railing or near a railing and you shove them, they mostly crumple to the floor and don't end up flipping over the railing and taking a dive.

Games Journalism :laffo:

He's a comedian, just remember that and all his reviews of games you enjoyed personally suddenly make more sense.

Also I'm another in the never had a glitch issue, although my MP connection is poo poo and I popped Halo 3 in to check my NAT settings and it said open. The patch didn't help.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Longtiem posted:

Games Journalism :laffo:

He's a comedian, just remember that and all his reviews of games you enjoyed personally suddenly make more sense.

Also I'm another in the never had a glitch issue, although my MP connection is poo poo and I popped Halo 3 in to check my NAT settings and it said open. The patch didn't help.

Of course, except for the fact that there are several games Yahtzee has reviewed and loves to death, (Original Sands of Time, Saint's Row 2, Portal, HL2, etc) and in some cases those games really weren't all that great. (Saint's Row 2)

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!
I'm glad I got my Spurred to Victory achievement on my first runthrough because not 15 minutes after it unlocked my horse got mauled by a cougar while I was out boar hunting. This game is a very effective educational aid for teaching "do not gently caress with dangerous animals" and "show proper respect to goddamn rattlesnakes".

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Well, I got into a wolf war a little North of the Railroad Union post and accidentally shot a beaver. I skinned it, but I think I figured my problem: I'm always looking near water thinking that the beavers will always be there. Hurr durr for me.

I'll keep searching. Thanks for all the advice. Bright side? I got Unnatural Selection. Now I just need to kill two cougars with my knife, get the Buffalo Rifle, and continue with life.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I watched the review, and could understand some of his complaints, but I really thought he was reaching with the travel times issue. Still, as a reviewer I likes his style.

Buy a map, use your camp, and boom, instant travel to anywhere you pop a waypoint.

Besides, anyone who doesn't like riding around in the vast open prairie on horseback (or fighting a cougar with a knife, on a mountain top, at night, during a thunderstorm :black101: like I did)... well, this game ain't for everyone pardner...

:clint:

(finished High Plains Drifter, Big Jake, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Joe Kidd, El Dorado and bought the blu ray of Good, Bad and the Ugly all in the last week :) )

If for some random reason you HAVEN'T seen The Outlaw Josey Wales... I... I implores you to take a gander at it!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

during a thunderstorm

Rockstar San Diego really nailed the atmosphere all around, but the thunderstorms are one of my favorite parts. Sky slowly darkens, wind picks up both visibly and audibly, then *flash-flash BOOM* followed by the rainfall. The occasional superbright flashes at night are nice as well.

Only other environment moment that comes close for me is watching the sunrise from the top of Nekoti Rock. Best view in the game.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

isk posted:

Only other environment moment that comes close for me is watching the sunrise from the top of Nekoti Rock. Best view in the game.

Where's that?

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.
best part about teaching jack to hunt

john: "now jack, watch how i do this. be patient, wait for your moment, and take the shot."
*throws stick of dynamite 30 yards into an elk*

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I enjoyed the ending for the most part. My only real problem with the post-endgame now are some minor oddities, like how Jack maintains ALL of John's stats. Getting his weapons, clothing, even the provisions and supplies he was carrying all sort of make sense, but his Fame? I guess he might look like his father... Also, according to the grave site, its been 3 whole years since John's death. Where are the other story characters now? I wish they would have left them in the world just as another NPC to have brief interactions with. I haven't played much beyond the ending yet, but do any of the characters you met during the bulk of the story show up again in any capacity? I realize there aren't more story missions after the story is complete, but it would be nice to see Bonnie McFarlane working around their ranch, or that guy that was going to drill for water at the Pleasance House, etc. I guess its not really new for this type of game to remove all story NPCs from the world after you finish the story.

I think what I really just want is a sequel already. :ohdear:

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Christ why does it seem like there are random days when no one at all is playing multiplayer. It's a god drat ghost town.

Dr Assinine
Mar 8, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

:clint:

(finished High Plains Drifter, Big Jake, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Joe Kidd, El Dorado and bought the blu ray of Good, Bad and the Ugly all in the last week :) )

If for some random reason you HAVEN'T seen The Outlaw Josey Wales... I... I implores you to take a gander at it!

You implore me?! Ha, I attempted to watch Wyatt Erp (Kevin Costner) on Netflix last night after a 6 hour romp through the wilderness. Worst. Western. Ever. Luckily I own a copy of Tombstone to make up for it.

I implores all of ya to use some custom soundtracks if the game has become dull even though doing that actually lowers the in-game volume, just pause the track when you get to some dialogue. I've been listening to Les Claypool - Of Fungi and Foe, Buckethead - Slaughterhouse, Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West and several movie scores including The Incredible Hulk, Terminator: Salvation, and Watchmen just to name a few. I've had some utterly unbelievable cinematic moments with the music listed above while galloping around, knife-ing cougars and bears.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Elendil004 posted:

Where's that?

Northwestern part of Tall Trees, should be named on your map when you discover it or buy the regional map. There's a single snowy path up the mountain that ends in a cave. The cave entrance faces west, where you want to be looking.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Fuzz posted:

The only thing he really complained about was that it was a mostly-pointless timesink, and he talked like he really enjoyed all the time sunk into it. This is absolutely true, nothing you do in the game gives you a tangible "reward", it's just plain fun and engrossing. He also said it was beautifully rendered, beautifully realized, beautifully written and on and so on.

Anyway, the glitches everybody goes on and on about are a complete mystery to me. I've encountered exactly two glitches and they were both the "fly up into the air while taking cover" glitch. I also play it on the X-Box 360 so it's not the port that's bugged, it's just bugged in general (so people seem to claim). I've seen pretty much none of it.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Fuzz posted:

Of course, except for the fact that there are several games Yahtzee has reviewed and loves to death, (Original Sands of Time, Saint's Row 2, Portal, HL2, etc) and in some cases those games really weren't all that great. (Saint's Row 2)

He's got it in for Rockstar, clearly. It's only a bit of fun. I actually think he has mostly terrible taste in games. You'll notice that if a game requires you invest some time into it, or if it isn't instantly gratifying, he tends to dismiss it. He's not a reviewer. It's sort of a critic's job to make swooping, entertaining, inflammatory statements.

You could say that the two minutes someone might spend responding angrily on a forum to what he's said could have been two minutes skinning wolves, in which time you'd probably only skin 1.3 wolves because the animation is so long this game sux rite?!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

I enjoyed the ending for the most part. My only real problem with the post-endgame now are some minor oddities, like how Jack maintains ALL of John's stats. Getting his weapons, clothing, even the provisions and supplies he was carrying all sort of make sense, but his Fame? I guess he might look like his father... Also, according to the grave site, its been 3 whole years since John's death. Where are the other story characters now? I wish they would have left them in the world just as another NPC to have brief interactions with. I haven't played much beyond the ending yet, but do any of the characters you met during the bulk of the story show up again in any capacity? I realize there aren't more story missions after the story is complete, but it would be nice to see Bonnie McFarlane working around their ranch, or that guy that was going to drill for water at the Pleasance House, etc. I guess its not really new for this type of game to remove all story NPCs from the world after you finish the story.

The post-game newspaper you can buy does a pretty good job of outlining what happened to some of the characters.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The post-game newspaper you can buy does a pretty good job of outlining what happened to some of the characters.

I do agree with his point that NPC's should be just, you know, out hanging around and you could do a quick tip of the hat as you pass them. Bully not only had NPC's hanging around outside missions, they had every NPC hanging around outside missions. Every character you meet in Bully is just out wandering around, and they all have names and (presumably) daily routines.

But I suppose in a game like Red Dead Redemption where you can murder or cripple or rob everybody you meet, you can be certain that rear end in a top hat players would do it to NPC's every chance they had.

Grishka
Jun 4, 2010

With the mic in my hands
I'm a bad man
Even in a fight with the hands
I'm a bad man
Livin in the streets all my life
I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man

isk posted:

Rockstar San Diego really nailed the atmosphere all around, but the thunderstorms are one of my favorite parts. Sky slowly darkens, wind picks up both visibly and audibly, then *flash-flash BOOM* followed by the rainfall. The occasional superbright flashes at night are nice as well.

My puppy is afraid of thunderstorms and he hid under a table during one of Red Dead's storms. It was the most :3: and :ohdear: ever.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Knifing cougars? No problem. They may kill my horse, they may knock me down, but nothing stops me from popping a pill and lassoing those lanky bastards and stabbing them like an :ese:.

Also stabbing buffalo like some crazed Jack the Ripper is pretty awesome.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

sirbeefalot posted:

A newspaper you can read after the plot ends mentions that Seth found his gold and is super rich. Seth was an awesome character. :) Also on another stranger mission if you start it as John and end it as Jack the dude mentions something along the lines of how you look younger than before.

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~

Tewratomeh posted:

I do agree with his point that NPC's should be just, you know, out hanging around and you could do a quick tip of the hat as you pass them. Bully not only had NPC's hanging around outside missions, they had every NPC hanging around outside missions. Every character you meet in Bully is just out wandering around, and they all have names and (presumably) daily routines.

But I suppose in a game like Red Dead Redemption where you can murder or cripple or rob everybody you meet, you can be certain that rear end in a top hat players would do it to NPC's every chance they had.
In Bully I really hated the fat nerd character in all his cut-scenes and missions, so whenever I saw him roaming around the school I would stuff him into a bin. I loved Bully.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was returning a stolen wagon to a guy and whistled for my horse so he'd be there when I returned the kart. As I stopped the horse didn't and ran straight off of a cliff while I was returning the wagon and now my hungarian half bred is gone :(

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Just had the best loving online free roam I've had for ages. Get this:

I was doing a challenge where you have to complete 2 particular hideouts without dying once. There were three of us, two people on my PSN friend list. We were doing great and a posse of about 7 mouthbreathers come riding in to gently caress with our poo poo. I just managed to finish the hideout before they shot me, but they basically griefed us for a little bit and then ran off with calls of "haha human being" and so on.

Thing is, there's a big bunch of players in the session, so I invite everyone to my posse, we end up with about 8 or 9 guys. I tell them the gameplan over my headset, basically to gently caress these guys up because they're assholes, so let's start a gang war. We all meet at a waypoint and ride together. I'm in my Native American skin.

So they're all trying to complete a hideout and we come loving thundering round the corner, ululating over the mics and wrecking their poo poo.

What followed was a 30 minute shootout with a shitload of trash talk from both sides, culminating in our glorious victory and their team quitting, bar about 2 guys, who we mercilessly mop up.

That was seriously the most fun I've had online in loving ages.

THIS.

GAME.

I also never expected to say "hah, I stole your loving zebra pal" today. But I did.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I just walked along the river when I realized I have completely ignored water so far. So I waded around in it a bit, and the wetness effect is probably the best I've seen in a game so far. Not as excessively shiny as most games, and it goes only up to the where the waterline actually was. Nice dryout phase too. Kinda funny that they put so much effort into it considering you can't even swim.

RDR2 (I guess/hope it's inevitable) better let me swim. More climbing abilities would be nice too. And better creature/hunting behaviour, deer and such should require you to sneak up on them. The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see some survival/Oregon Trail kinda game on this engine.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
You should see the Uncharted games handle wetness effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

GhostDog posted:

I just walked along the river when I realized I have completely ignored water so far. So I waded around in it a bit, and the wetness effect is probably the best I've seen in a game so far. Not as excessively shiny as most games, and it goes only up to the where the waterline actually was. Nice dryout phase too. Kinda funny that they put so much effort into it considering you can't even swim.

RDR2 (I guess/hope it's inevitable) better let me swim. More climbing abilities would be nice too. And better creature/hunting behaviour, deer and such should require you to sneak up on them. The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see some survival/Oregon Trail kinda game on this engine.
The game we are playing is RDR2.

• Locked thread