Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Hey You Pifuckyou! posted:

Guys, has anyone had problems with the (multiplayer) Sharpshooter II Rank 3 challenge not registering? I've one-shotted like six bears in the face, and I just can't seem to get the challenge. First I thought it could've been because I had the Master Hunter challenge with five bears active at the same time, but the Sharpshooter challenge still won't register now that I've beaten the Hunter one.

I had the same problem. 1-shotted like 10 bears in the snowy area of Tall Trees, didn't get credit. The solution is to kill bears around Bearclaw Camp. First one there dinged it for me. Apparently those ones are grizzlies while the rest aren't, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ice Blue posted:

The game we are playing is RDR2.

We can just go ahead and assume he means "Red Dead Redemption 2" and not "Red Dead X", where X is whatever noun they decide to throw after Red and Dead. There was another "Red Dead" game, yes, but this is the only really noteworthy one. The first was decent but it was in no way related to this one except for the name and general setting.

This one wasn't even going to be a Red Dead game to begin with, it was just Generic Western Project. They probably threw the Red Dead in as a tribute to the other game, which was mainly Capcom's doing.

Anyway, for any potential sequels I thought of something they could add: controllable herds and packs (flocks, too) of wild animals. I think it'd be pretty cool to be a Wild West Batman with bear or cougars instead of bats.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GhostDog posted:

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see some survival/Oregon Trail kinda game on this engine.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. Between the hunting and the wagon driving this game occasionally gives me flashbacks to Oregon Trail. It'd be an interesting game, actually driving the wagon and hunting animals for food, fording rivers and such.

Or maybe it would be boring and tedious, I dunno

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I don't understand how some of you haven't killed beavers considering you need to kill 5 of them for a mission. Are you trying to kill all the animals before you've even completed the game or something?

Just got my 'Redeemed' achievement, 100% baby. Getting the last outfit, the US Marshal, was pretty easy. It only took about 13 in-game hours. Feels good, man.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 14, 2010

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. Between the hunting and the wagon driving this game occasionally gives me flashbacks to Oregon Trail. It'd be an interesting game, actually driving the wagon and hunting animals for food, fording rivers and such.

Or maybe it would be boring and tedious, I dunno

As long as a Dystentary is a constant and hilarious threat, it will never be boring to watch as your party scrambles off the wagon to go poo poo their guts out in the grass every 10 minutes.

Oh yeah, and violent natives who threaten to scalp you at any moment.

Speaking of scalping, why the gently caress isn't it in this game? I would love to scalp dead bounties as proof of retrieving them. And it was loving awesome in Gun.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

MrJacobs posted:

As long as a Dystentary is a constant and hilarious threat, it will never be boring to watch as your party scrambles off the wagon to go poo poo their guts out in the grass every 10 minutes.

Oh yeah, and violent natives who threaten to scalp you at any moment.

Speaking of scalping, why the gently caress isn't it in this game? I would love to scalp dead bounties as proof of retrieving them. And it was loving awesome in Gun.

I think that'd detract from the whole Redemption aspect of this game.

*Scalps some poor Bandito* "I just want to go home to my family!"

Granted, Marston does a lot of other brutal poo poo, but it's just an example.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.
Speaking of scalping, what's with with RDR not having Indians in it? I've not finished it so maybe they come up later but what's a western without indians? Or were they much less prominent in 1910?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ice Blue posted:

Speaking of scalping, what's with with RDR not having Indians in it? I've not finished it so maybe they come up later but what's a western without indians? Or were they much less prominent in 1910?

They show up later.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

fennesz posted:

I think that'd detract from the whole Redemption aspect of this game.

*Scalps some poor Bandito* "I just want to go home to my family!"

Granted, Marston does a lot of other brutal poo poo, but it's just an example.

Just like tying hookers to train tracks or dragging mexicans behind your horse.

You never had to scalp people in Gun, I actually think it was useless other than the simple fact that it was awesome. Plus, as I stated earlier, it would be actually useful in bounty missions as a more evil option after you kill the target so you have proof.

Oh, and if a bandito or anyone shoots, they deserve to part with thier scalp.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Everything required to scalp someone is already in the game, too. You'd just walk up to someone, pressing 'Y' would loot body, 'A' or some other temporarily-assigned button would be to scalp. It'd be the same animation as skinning an animal, and then you'd have Scalp X 1 in your inventory.

But who knows, maybe they did have it implemented and it turned out to be just too gruesome/creepy. That and it'd feel kind of weird to just start scalping people as Marston in the middle of town.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MrJacobs posted:

Just like tying hookers to train tracks

Does this result in anything special or just great personal satisfaction?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

IRQ posted:

You get an achievement for it, so I guess the game is pretty much encouraging you to do it. I'm surprised angry parents haven't discovered it yet

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

IRQ posted:

before or after you tie them up?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tewratomeh posted:

Anyway, the glitches everybody goes on and on about are a complete mystery to me. I've encountered exactly two glitches and they were both the "fly up into the air while taking cover" glitch. I also play it on the X-Box 360 so it's not the port that's bugged, it's just bugged in general (so people seem to claim). I've seen pretty much none of it.

Same. I've only had 2: Once at a duel the screen dipped to black, but then stayed there, requiring a reboot, and after the final Mexico mission John and Reyes just stood there for ages before the cutscene cut in.

stretchy membrane
May 22, 2007

_________
:tipshat:

Tewratomeh posted:

This one wasn't even going to be a Red Dead game to begin with, it was just Generic Western Project. They probably threw the Red Dead in as a tribute to the other game, which was mainly Capcom's doing.

No, both games were developed by rockstar San Diego and all along it was advertised as a sequel.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Ice Blue posted:

RDR takes place almost thirty years after the height of the Indian Wars. Most Natives would be in reservations at that point, with only a few renegade hold-outs in the Southwest.

There are a gang of Indians later on, but they're less "Indian Warband" and more "Group that Has A Lot of Indians".

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Finally got my beavers! Bearclaw Camp, I could kiss you! And I even got two of my three one-shot bear requirements for Sharpshooter 6. And knifing cougars is easy: one Evans Repeater bullet, then chase them down while screaming like a little girl.

Now, if you can lasso a bear, I think I might be able to get 100% for this game. Ahh, good times. This game. This. Game.

Edit: How soon is Outlaws to the End coming? The title screen now has a scroll telling me to be prepared for it. This week?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

kramhag posted:

No, both games were developed by rockstar San Diego and all along it was advertised as a sequel.

I don't recall a single advertisement mentioning Red Dead Revolver. Both games were developed by Rockstar San Diego, yes, but Revolver was a Capcom game that was sold to Rockstar. Redemption is a 100% Rockstar creation. Red Dead Redemption is a sequel in name (debatable) only. Oh, they are also both westerns. I guess they are a like that way too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I tried to get the achievement for tying a girl to the train tracks, and I thought I successfully did it (watched the train hit her and everything - though I never found the body - is it possible she got pushed for miles?!) but never got the achievement.

It's also possible this woman was an employee of a place where you can pay off your bounty.

Does it have to be a hooker?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

On another note, what's a cowboy gotta do to get max honor (besides not tie people to train tracks)? Is there an easy way to jack up honor?

I seem to be permanently stuck at the notch below despite always trying to do good deeds (above example exempted).

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

leidend posted:

On another note, what's a cowboy gotta do to get max honor (besides not tie people to train tracks)? Is there an easy way to jack up honor?

I seem to be permanently stuck at the notch below despite always trying to do good deeds (above example exempted).
Win gunfights with disarms. Shoot them in their hand/arm.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

leidend posted:

Bounties over and over. You can do all the bounties as much as you want and you get honor, fame and money for doing them. If you go do the third tier bounties you can get something like $800, +100 fame and +100 honor per bounty.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

leidend posted:

I tried to get the achievement for tying a girl to the train tracks, and I thought I successfully did it (watched the train hit her and everything - though I never found the body - is it possible she got pushed for miles?!) but never got the achievement.

It's also possible this woman was an employee of a place where you can pay off your bounty.

Does it have to be a hooker?

I have yet to get the achievement myself. First time I tried it I grabbed a random woman from a stranger mission, watched the train, and she loving exploded.... and no achievement.

Second time was with some mexican girl but I don't think I saw the train hit her.

I haven't tried to get it again, the train is usually too far away from my lazy rear end and every hooker I try to drag to the train behind my horse ends up dying. And before someone says hogtie her, that is anti-fun when it comes to abusing virtual skanks.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Same. I've only had 2: Once at a duel the screen dipped to black, but then stayed there, requiring a reboot, and after the final Mexico mission John and Reyes just stood there for ages before the cutscene cut in.

Aside from the miscellaneous physics stuff (which is hilarious) there have only been two instances that have really bothered me. Once was in Escalera during the "An Appointed Time" mission. I'd shoot the locks off all of the cells and nothing would happen. It took me 4 mission replays and countless retries from the checkpoint to get it right. The second I believe has to do with the Poncho outfit. It seems like 50% of the time I'd skin an animal, loot a corpse or pick an herb the animation wouldn't execute and I'd be left staring at a motionless Marston unable to do anything else but reboot. Although I figured out that if you crouch before picking/skinning/looting the animation is different and I've never had that fail. The Poncho is worth all of the effort.

Speaking of "An Appointed Time," I got the achievement for 20 story missions with the same horse right after the mission completed. Mexico, front to back with the same horse I broke myself mother fuckers :clint:

Oh yeah, and I just got to Blackwater for the first time. I rode around for 10 minutes looking for a hitching post. It was raining, I didn't want my pony getting rained on all by herself so I rode out of town and made camp. :( All these goddamn newfangled contraptions and poo poo, can't I just hitch my horse somewheres?

fennesz fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 14, 2010

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Finally got my beavers! Bearclaw Camp, I could kiss you! And I even got two of my three one-shot bear requirements for Sharpshooter 6. And knifing cougars is easy: one Evans Repeater bullet, then chase them down while screaming like a little girl.

Now, if you can lasso a bear, I think I might be able to get 100% for this game. Ahh, good times. This game. This. Game.

Edit: How soon is Outlaws to the End coming? The title screen now has a scroll telling me to be prepared for it. This week?

Outlaws To The End DLC is coming on June 22.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ShowTime posted:

Bounties over and over. You can do all the bounties as much as you want and you get honor, fame and money for doing them. If you go do the third tier bounties you can get something like $800, +100 fame and +100 honor per bounty.

I hope this all means that bounties restart once you complete them all, since I've yet to claim a Bollard Gang bounty alive for the Bollard Twins outfit (and I've done all the Bollard Twins bounties). I'd assume I get another chance, since I don't think the game would screw you out of any possible chance at getting 100%.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Mylan posted:

I had the same problem. 1-shotted like 10 bears in the snowy area of Tall Trees, didn't get credit. The solution is to kill bears around Bearclaw Camp. First one there dinged it for me. Apparently those ones are grizzlies while the rest aren't, or something.

One of the multiplayer Master Hunter Challenges glitched out in a good way for me. You're supposed to kill 5 bears, one by knife, and I just blasted them all in the face with my trusty Bolt Action Rifle

oh, and gently caress Cougars in online multiplayer too. I got loving swarmed by them, five or six came out of nowhere like a pack of feline fury and vengeance.

I grow tired of the dumb pubbies though. I need to kill with goons. PSN ID: DrSmasher

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Ive had casual aiming on all of single player. Now that I'm trying out multi with expert aiming, I suck. Its still fun though. I just die a lot.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 14, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

fennesz posted:

Aside from the miscellaneous physics stuff (which is hilarious) there have only been two instances that have really bothered me. Once was in Escalera during the "An Appointed Time" mission. I'd shoot the locks off all of the cells and nothing would happen. It took me 4 mission replays and countless retries from the checkpoint to get it right.

That mission is buggy as poo poo.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Tewratomeh posted:

I hope this all means that bounties restart once you complete them all, since I've yet to claim a Bollard Gang bounty alive for the Bollard Twins outfit (and I've done all the Bollard Twins bounties). I'd assume I get another chance, since I don't think the game would screw you out of any possible chance at getting 100%.

They do. They either cycle and after you do the original 10, you start over from bounty 1, then go to bounty 2, etc, or after you do the first 10 you just get a random one. I can't remember. I do know I did the tier 1 bounties something like 20+ times trying to get Mo Van Barr to spawn when I first started playing.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I had my first "real" bug (in that it crippled my game and I just shut it off): my context sensitive actions stopped appearing while I was at MacFarlane's Ranch. I was walking around mashing B, saying howdy to everyone, when some fucker spit at my feet and challenged me to a duel. I was unable to accept, I just kept saying "Howdy!" and tipping my loving hat. It eventually timed out and he went back to being just another NPC, so I went to save for the night, and the prompt never showed up.

Unable to open the chest in my house, unable to mount my horse, anything with a context button didn't work. I ran out of town on foot and made camp in the hopes of saving there, and it ended up being a dead end. He just sat there at the campfire, no options to leave or travel or anything. :saddowns:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The only glitch I've encountered was during the stranger mission Eva in Peril, where you pay to free Eva. After the initial cutscene, I paid the $200 which started another cutscene which for some reasoned duped Eva, so two Evas were standing in the same place.

Finally beat the game, and god drat...it's been a long time since I've been completely satisfied on how it wrapped things up.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

isk posted:

Rockstar San Diego really nailed the atmosphere all around, but the thunderstorms are one of my favorite parts. Sky slowly darkens, wind picks up both visibly and audibly, then *flash-flash BOOM* followed by the rainfall. The occasional superbright flashes at night are nice as well.

Only other environment moment that comes close for me is watching the sunrise from the top of Nekoti Rock. Best view in the game.

To add to this, I noticed if I'm off my horse in a thunderstorm it gets spooked by the thunder and lightning and occasionally bolts.

Just amazing.

EDIT: Has anyone been experiencing more bugs post-patch? I've had my first and only game-break last night when I hoped off a horse mid-mission and it wouldn't let me back on, then later in the same session I wasn't able to shoot.

Mister Bung fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 14, 2010

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Riding on the roofs of trains shooting passerby is morbidly fun.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

Riding on the roofs of trains shooting passerby is morbidly fun.

Riding on the roof of a train and enabling the Hic cheat isn't morbidly fun or even hilarious, but it's amusing nonetheless.

Mylan posted:

Thanks, man! I'm going to try this when I get back to RDR today.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Nckdictator posted:

Riding on the roofs of trains lobbing dynamite missiles at passerbys is morbidly fun.

Fixed that for you.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Speaking of dynamite missiles, while they may look awesome, molotovs are way less powerful as heat-seeking death missiles. It took two to kill a single elk for gods sake!

It was delicious. :3:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dr.Smasher posted:

oh, and gently caress Cougars in online multiplayer too. I got loving swarmed by them, five or six came out of nowhere like a pack of feline fury and vengeance.

I grow tired of the dumb pubbies though. I need to kill with goons. PSN ID: DrSmasher

After skinning a few bears (and a few dead horses :qq:) in Tall Trees I thought to myself "bears aren't so bad, I don't know why everyone was so afraid of them" three bears barrel over the hill 15 feet to my right and bowl me over a boulder killing me instantly. Thankfully with the Mauser and a good trigger finger they don't pose too much of a threat if you have some notice.

Grishka
Jun 4, 2010

With the mic in my hands
I'm a bad man
Even in a fight with the hands
I'm a bad man
Livin in the streets all my life
I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man
Got to play Freeroam with my dad and my older sister and had a lot of fun :3: eventually my sister and I rode into Tall Trees and some area spawned cougars, we had something like twelve cougars attacking us, and we're riding on horses swinging the melee knives. I'm thinking this 'Cougar Jousting' just may be the most American thing possible. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

Fuzz posted:

Fixed that for you.
What is this dynamite missile business people keep mentioning?

Grishka posted:

Got to play Freeroam with my dad and my older sister and had a lot of fun :3: eventually my sister and I rode into Tall Trees and some area spawned cougars, we had something like twelve cougars attacking us, and we're riding on horses swinging the melee knives. I'm thinking this 'Cougar Jousting' just may be the most American thing possible. :911:
RDR is good family fun. :3:

You can stab cougars from on top of a horse? drat that would have made that hunting challenge much easier.

• Locked thread