Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

angrylinuxgeek posted:

I hope I didn't come off as complaining, I just have a player who is all :allears: about Clerics

I think he's actually talking about me, regarding the hypocrisy! And yeah, I'm like that. I guess I just view Dark Sun as having Kalak dead, and the fact that he's not in the '91 box as a symptom of metaplot in its own way--anticipatory, so that the "actual" status quo (Kalak is recently dead) can be established through narrative.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Excellent because I'm buying you a beer for answering our questions.

Do you have a Paypal account? I'd be willing to contribute to a Beers for Rodney Fund.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.

RodneyThompson posted:

I think of it a lot like Mogadishu from Black Hawk Down, actually.

I just used this line on one of my current players and he drat near had a stroke from excitement.

Can you tell us if the fluff for Athasian elves has changed much? That was always my favorite reinterpretation of a race in Dark Sun.

Will there be an elemental singer pp?

Thanks for all the info and welcome!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Can you tell us anything about the paragon paths or epic destinies? I mean avangion and dragon are pretty obvious, but what about advanced elemental clerics? Are they going to end up as a primal ED? Are psionic characters finally get some advanced being options?

Anisotropic Shader
Nov 25, 2005

You're talkin' about what would basically be the most important model train layout of all time you realize.
Will half-elves still be misfit loners that identify more with animals than the two cultures that tend to spurn them?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Squizzle posted:

I think he's actually talking about me, regarding the hypocrisy! And yeah, I'm like that. I guess I just view Dark Sun as having Kalak dead, and the fact that he's not in the '91 box as a symptom of metaplot in its own way--anticipatory, so that the "actual" status quo (Kalak is recently dead) can be established through narrative.

I don't remember who I was specifically talking about; I just found it amusing. And honestly, the death of Kalak is an example of using metaplot in a good way. The adventures that accompany the first two Prism Pentad novels do a great job of letting the players be the "real, unsung" heroes. Rikus and Sadira and the rest may be the ones who kill Kalak, but it's the players in Freedom who open the gates of the stadium and free Tyr's citizens from Kalak's deadly spell. Likewise, the victory over Urik at the beginning of The Crimson Legion wouldn't be possible if not for the players' victory in The Road to Urik.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Fools! You think you could truly defeat the Great Lion?!

This is not over...

RodneyThompson
Jun 13, 2010

Malachamavet posted:

This is great news, though it still has a lot of flaws in my view since the only marks that only work in adjacent-ness are Battleminds and Fighters - Fighters have immobilization effects, but if you're a Kobold or whatever and can shift two squares, the Battlemind can't do anything.

Well, we wanted them to be a lot like fighters in that regard. The trick with multi-square shifters, of course, gives the fighter the advantage over the battlemind, but at the same time I think the battlemind's mark punishment is a bit saucier.

Excellent because I'm buying you a beer for answering our questions.

Careful, I hear I'm a douche IRL.

BAWRLIN posted:

I just used this line on one of my current players and he drat near had a stroke from excitement.

Sweet. It's a little less lawless than Mogadishu, but it's definitely got that "a pile of matchsticks waiting on a spark" quality. Plus, it gives Tyr a bit of intrigue, since you never know whose faction those half-giant guards are really working for, etc.

BAWRLIN posted:

Can you tell us if the fluff for Athasian elves has changed much? That was always my favorite reinterpretation of a race in Dark Sun.

They're the same as you remember them--liars, thieves, con artists, cutthroats, far-striders, etc.

BAWRLIN posted:

Will there be an elemental singer pp?

We've got a couple of different paragon paths for elemental worshipers, actually.

ManMythLegend posted:

Can you tell us anything about the paragon paths or epic destinies? I mean avangion and dragon are pretty obvious, but what about advanced elemental clerics? Are they going to end up as a primal ED? Are psionic characters finally get some advanced being options?

I can't say much about specifics, but I will say this: we tried to give every power source except divine and shadow options at every tier. Lots of old concepts resurface in epic destinies and paragon paths.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RodneyThompson posted:

Careful, I hear I'm a douche IRL.

I once burned Gary Gygax so I can take it.

Will there be any mention of the stuff from beyond the Tablelands?

Also, you guys should put in the "Tablelander" for Jerry Holkins. The PA guys and Scott Kurtz deserve it for the amazing PR.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Are there any plans to expand on the dead lands? Athasian undead were always 2-3 times creepier than the standard fantasy counterpart.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Monster HP inflation kinda hurts battlemind past heroic, I wish it was like 0.5+0.5 per tier damage reflection (i.e. you deal twice the damage dealt at epic), otherwise, I'm glad to hear about the acknowledgment

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm wondering how much more effective Mind Spike will be against things in Monster Manual 3. The damage there is supposed to be scaled up.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
True: It'd be interesting to do a avg dmg/avg hp comparison, as well as avg dmg vs. avg damage of a fighter

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The "Ah ha!" moment about Mind Spike came for me when I figured out that, as a DM, it'd encourage me to use any vaguely intelligent murderable's lower-damage attacks, were it marked by a (hypothetically effective) battlemind. It doesn't just dissuade from attacking non-defenders by damage-threat; it reduces the damage that any attacked non-defender is likely to take, by the same damage-threat.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Except what you'd really do is spend minor effort to get nonadjacent to the battlemind - say just charging away - and hit hard anyway. Though I can see a battlemind (assuming blurred step became free or whatever) being pretty effective in a really cramped environment (like 2 squares across hallways). Then again any defender is.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

RodneyThompson posted:

I can't say much about specifics, but I will say this: we tried to give every power source except divine and shadow options at every tier. Lots of old concepts resurface in epic destinies and paragon paths.

Any answer as to why not for the shadow power source? I'm sure it's something blindingly obvious to me, but since I really enjoy my Assassin, I want to know how this is going to affect him.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

SWATJester posted:

Any answer as to why not for the shadow power source? I'm sure it's something blindingly obvious to me, but since I really enjoy my Assassin, I want to know how this is going to affect him.

I hope it has something to do with downplaying how awful the Assassin is by not drawing attention to the class.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The shadow book doesn't come out until next year. They don't support a DDI-only options in print--at least, they haven't so far.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Yeah there'll be some some Dragon article like "Assassins of Athas" or "Athasian Assassins" and it'll give feat support and stuff

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Oh, OK, I had read it to mean there were going to be no new ones for Assassin at all.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Besides which, shade? In the Tablelands? Come on.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Bieeardo posted:

An Assassin who moves around hiding in the shadow of his camel.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Bieeardo posted:

I dunno man, it is a dark sun. Probably less solar luminosity.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

shotgunbadger posted:

An Assassin who moves around hiding in the shadow of his camel.

In Dark Sun your camel is a giant lizard that probably shoots mind-bolts and swallows humanoids whole for water. For all we know the camel is the real assassin and the guy next to it just a psychic defense the camel uses.

s19aw
Oct 29, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

There's this thing that happens when the sun goes down...

RodneyThompson
Jun 13, 2010

TheAnomaly posted:

Are there any plans to expand on the dead lands? Athasian undead were always 2-3 times creepier than the standard fantasy counterpart.

We pretty much focus on the same stuff that the original boxed set did, but there are some things cherrypicked from other supplements.

SWATJester posted:

Two real reasons. One, because Shadow isn't really that important to Athas. And two, because when the work started on Dark Sun the assassin hadn't even come out in Dragon yet. All that said, there's plenty of stuff in the DS book for an assassin. If you want to play an assassin in Dark Sun, themes will work just as well for you.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Goes down?! No way. The dark sun and its blazing throne are above you at all times, 24/7. The world hates you that much.

s19aw
Oct 29, 2004
Haha, assassins could just carry around gigantic parasols with them all the time, strapped to their backs, to "protect themselves from the sun".

In fact, probably everyone on Athas who can afford it should do this. My next dark sun character is going to be a parasol merchant.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

s19aw posted:

Haha, assassins could just carry around gigantic parasols with them all the time, strapped to their backs, to "protect themselves from the sun".

In fact, probably everyone on Athas who can afford it should do this. My next dark sun character is going to be a parasol merchant.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Athas already has oodles of assassins. They were called "bards".

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
I loved how like 75% of bards had access to type E poison (save vs. death, failure = death, success = 20 damage) at character creation in old Dark Sun.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm really curious about how Dark Sun bards will be handled in the new edition. Will there be a new build for the bard class, or just a note saying to just roll up a rogue and say he plays an oud. Maybe a theme, with a name that's not "bard"?

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

shotgunbadger posted:

If the first question he gets is "DO WE CALL HALFLINGS CANNIBALS OR MAN EATERS?!" you guys will be failures.

yeah because that's not even a question and anyway both are wrong. They are neither cannibals nor maneaters, but instead are anthropophages

hipster werewolf
Mar 4, 2006

Liesmith posted:

yeah because that's not even a question and anyway both are wrong. They are neither cannibals nor maneaters, but instead are anthropophages

"anthropophage" means "maneater" so uh?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Liesmith posted:

anthropophages

I think this is good evidence that halfling life-shaping is in.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Bieeardo posted:

I think this is good evidence that halfling life-shaping is in.

that dude needs to wax his bikini zone

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Liesmith posted:

You could make an argument that they are cannibals because technically all other sentient mammalian races on Athas are mutant halflings. But then you'd be perpetuating a dumb semantic argument when we should instead be talking about how sweet psurlons and carnivorous sentient cacti are.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot
Carnivorous sentient cacti gets up there in "goofy as poo poo" territory for me. Dark Sun, like 80s metal music videos, is easily perverted into the ridiculous.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

What if they were just carnivorous cacti or just sentient cacti?

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

PeterWeller posted:

What if they were just carnivorous cacti or just sentient cacti?

Now you're talkin'. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
2e Dark Sun had a cacti that would turn its victims into zombie slaves to tend to it.

Actually there must have been at least a dozen different crazy killer plants. The best one was an oasis monster. Just a giant mouth with a little water pond and plants at the top, you walk up to take a drink and *chomp*

ritorix fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 14, 2010

• Locked thread