Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

El Miguel posted:

Anybody want to recommend me some settings for a Line 6 DL-4? I recently lucked into one, and I'm a total delay novice. I should add, though, that I don't want to use this thing in a remotely tasteful way--more along the lines of creating a JAMC-esque wall of noise. Only worse.

just turn the knobs a whole bunch :p

the tape and bbd models I hear are good. do get an exp pedal if you can, that can add a lot of freakiness to delay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

El Miguel posted:

Anybody want to recommend me some settings for a Line 6 DL-4? I recently lucked into one, and I'm a total delay novice. I should add, though, that I don't want to use this thing in a remotely tasteful way--more along the lines of creating a JAMC-esque wall of noise. Only worse.
Can we talk about this JAMC (or Raveonettes)-esque wall of noise a little? I'd love to get a little closer to that, but it may not be possible out of a Vox AC-15 or Fender Blues Jr. Cranking up the distortion on my Rat along with a ton of reverb puts me in the right direction, but I have no Shin-Ei fuzz wah. Any suggestions?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Just play with your pedals, you'll find decent settings. If you can't find good settings, it's probably a lovely pedal. I've used the DL-4 and it's decent, but it does exactly what I don't like delays to do: get muddy, which apparently maybe a desirable sound nowadays. It's huge range of settings and easy pre-set are the upside.

If you want to make noise in a more clean way, I'd suggest getting a couple of pedals. Delay, phaser, chorus/flanger. Some of those are built into the DL-4's delays, but they sound so much nicer in their own boxes.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

CalvinDooglas posted:

If you want to make noise in a more clean way, I'd suggest getting a couple of pedals. Delay, phaser, chorus/flanger. Some of those are built into the DL-4's delays, but they sound so much nicer in their own boxes.
Chorus and flanging are just modulated short delays, so there's actually a fair number of units that can go from a flanger to a regular delay and sound fine. First they need some modulation capability (usu an LFO or a CV input), and they tend to be digital because the BBDs in analog delays tend to have narrower ranges from shortest to longest delay time, so they'll be either flanger/chorus or maybe chorus/delay instead of covering all three.
Getting a good thick modulation effect going after a delay is a great sound, for sure tho

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
Cheers everyone for the delay advice. I've had a quick look around and much to my surprise, the Hardwire DL-8 (a digital delay) is getting a lot of props. I'm surprised because Hardwire is a Digitech line. And I've always treated Digitech pedals as cheap pieces of poo poo! But the DL-8 seems to get a lot of praise.

So, has anyone had any experience with or know anything about the Hardwire range? Won't be able to get to a shop for a while to try it myself. Here's a vid (thanks Andy at Proguitarshop.com).

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
if you guys have $300 to drop on a reverb check this out, dear god
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmWBQgiqjtY

CalvinDooglas posted:

Reverb shouldn't be an obvious part of your sound

That is a crazy thing to say.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

lechunnel posted:

Cheers everyone for the delay advice. I've had a quick look around and much to my surprise, the Hardwire DL-8 (a digital delay) is getting a lot of props. I'm surprised because Hardwire is a Digitech line. And I've always treated Digitech pedals as cheap pieces of poo poo! But the DL-8 seems to get a lot of praise.

So, has anyone had any experience with or know anything about the Hardwire range? Won't be able to get to a shop for a while to try it myself. Here's a vid (thanks Andy at Proguitarshop.com).

Hardwire are apparantly Digitechs attempt at making "not poo poo" mid range pedals so I'd give it a shot.

Line 6 echo park is really nice.

Ibanez DE7 is actually much better than you would ever suspect. The tape sim blows my DD20 away.

DD20 I hate, its sterile and has a stupid UI.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dancehall posted:

if you guys have $300 to drop on a reverb check this out, dear god
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmWBQgiqjtY

That's a pro-click right there.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

lechunnel posted:

No way, man. I've got a Multi Play and it's my favorite of my rather many digital delays. You can probly ebay one for 50usd, it's a steal for the stereo chorus alone

quote:

Not much personal experience with their newer stuff but I've heard good things and the Timebender (their current 'super delay') has some really cool stuff, like a built in intelligent pitchshifter to get arpeggiated echoes, which is possible but less streamlined if you can find a delay with an fx loop

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

dancehall posted:

That is a crazy thing to say.

I like the guitar to stop playing when I do.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

CalvinDooglas posted:

I like the guitar to stop playing when I do.

Very, very genre relative.

Colin Ex Machina
Oct 16, 2004
I adopted a highway.
If you aren't down with wild swirling noise that keeps going after you stop playing your instrument, man you don't know what you're missing.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Agreed posted:

Very, very genre relative.

yeah, I know, I just like giving genre kiddies a hard time. I've just seen so many guitarists who want to stand up and strut their stuff, but the guitar is drowned out by the effects to the point that all I can hear are the really long notes. For the price of two "multi effect processors" anyone can get 3 or 4 stomboxes that make the one or two sounds each they'll actually use, and sound way better.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

I mean, for your general-purpose rock band mix I totally agree that reverb has little place, but with a sparse mix and clean tones reverb can be very nice. Otherwise a short delay set to about two repeats is a great alternative but I'm just saying let's not "should" this poor fella to death.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
Haha, you guys should "should" me all you want. I crave the advice, as I know there's a bunch of pedal whores around these parts.

dancehall, that Strymon blueSky Reverberator you posted is crazy. It fulfils what I'm looking for: a little bit of reverb for my day-to-day, but with some extra crazy poo poo I can fiddle with if I want. It seems you can crank the mix up to 100% wet, flip on the synthy-mod and treat it as a (limited) synth box.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Sounds to me basically like a more expensive but also more varied EHX Cathedral. YMMV.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Sounds to me basically like a more expensive but also more varied EHX Cathedral. YMMV.

Hey Agreed, do you know anything that covers the same ground as these two pedals but would be a little cheaper, or should I keep a lookout for a used Cathedral? I don't really need it to be stereo. Well, I don't really need it at all, but it sounds like fun.

American Clamdigger
Oct 21, 2008
Getting a Hardwire RV-7 in the mail tomorrow. :woop: It should sound HUGE in stereo.

pimpology 101
Aug 6, 2006
Pimpin' ain't easy.
Can someone recommend me a good fuzz pedal?
I use a guitar with humbuckers, and I hear that matters a lot, but I think I might switch to single coils soon.
I like the sounds that guitarists get with the Big Muff Pi but anytime I played around with one, it just seemed too muddy. I love the sound that Jack White gets with his, but I never even came close to getting that kind of biting, harsh sound.
I plan on getting a Rat also, for general overdrive/distortion purposes, but I wanna use a fuzz for over the top distortion, as well as combining it with a Rat for Sonic Youth-type noise freakout sounds.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

pimpology 101 posted:

I use a guitar with humbuckers, and I hear that matters a lot, but I think I might switch to single coils soon.
I like the sounds that guitarists get with the Big Muff Pi but anytime I played around with one, it just seemed too muddy. I love the sound that Jack White gets with his, but I never even came close to getting that kind of biting, harsh sound.
I plan on getting a Rat also, for general overdrive/distortion purposes, but I wanna use a fuzz for over the top distortion, as well as combining it with a Rat for Sonic Youth-type noise freakout sounds.

I really like my Barber Trifecta for a more-flexible Big Muff that can get into tone bender territory. It has better tone controls and the gain range is a lot more usable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-zGpurjFAo&feature=related

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

dancehall made what is probably the perfect fuzz recommendation if you're looking for a fuzz that'll do traditional sounds to some more raspy, thwompy stuff. Thwompy. Well, you'll know it when you hear it.

Also check out stuff from FuzzHugger over at https://www.fuzzhugger.com Tom makes excellent, versatile fuzz pedals that have a sound of their own. I consider myself bound by some form of NDA (even if it's just scout's honor) after he gave me the skinny on one of his early pedal designs while I had it in for review, but suffice it to say I was impressed enough that I bought the damned thing, and own more pedals from his FuzzHugger(fx) brand now too. Including a wicked custom fuzz that really doesn't compare to anything I've ever used before. But that was a one-off, it's (kind of a joke, but I like it) the official Jeff Baker signature pedal. That's me. Ha ha. I'm cooler than Joe Satriani because my signature pedal is an oscillating fuzz. :smuggo:

Anyway, depending on what you're after, the Barber Trifecta is really an unassailable pedal; I am a HUGE fan of David Barber's designs and own a number of his products, though I don't own that one (I had a lot of fuzz already before I learned about his stuff and it felt a little redundant to get another big muff, even if it's pretty much a combination of the most flexible and the most affordable - and probably the most durably put together - big muff around). But check out Fuzzhugger stuff too, some really nice pedals there.

American Clamdigger
Oct 21, 2008
I have never gotten very much of anything out of my Trifecta, but I use a P-90 LP...the DirectDrive SS however is an awesome OD pedal.

Look into the Trifecta, but also look into the Subdecay Flying Tomato. Subdecay makes awesome stuff.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

pimpology 101 posted:

I've got the same issue with my Big Muff, it's hard to make it not sound muddy as hell. I don't know how J Mascis can get his to sing like that. What are the odds that its partially because I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with stock pickups?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Epi Lepi posted:

I've got the same issue with my Big Muff, it's hard to make it not sound muddy as hell. I don't know how J Mascis can get his to sing like that. What are the odds that its partially because I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with stock pickups?

good pickups can really add to your definition, but it's really hard to compare a professional rig's tone in a recording to your bedroom. There are a lot of other factors like the amp, other effects, how its mixed, etc. As a general rule, dial in less fuzz than you think you need. Those players are also cranking their amps to play and record, which improves definition dramatically.

What amp are you playing through? Pedals made to drive tubes may not sound as good through a solid state amp, and turning those up won't make them sound any better. Sometimes you can't rely on a pedal to sound the same for every player and you gotta figure out what makes the best sound in your own rig. I can get a Jack White-ish tone, but I use a modded MXR Distortion III and a Yamaha guitar.

Any distortion can get muddy when you use small intervals, too. 2nds and thirds, especially on lower strings, will get muddy. Sticking to the "A" shape for root position chords puts the 3rd an octave above the root and improves the definition a little. From his songs I've heard, Jack White uses that voicing all the time, as well as the same thing without the low root.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 11, 2010

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I play through a Fender Blues Jr amp. A lot of muddiness is also probably due to the fact that I can't crank the volume much on either the pedal or the amp.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Epi Lepi posted:

I play through a Fender Blues Jr amp. A lot of muddiness is also probably due to the fact that I can't crank the volume much on either the pedal or the amp.

how are the EQ settings? Fenders don't let too much bass through no matter what, but if that knob is above like 4 it'll mess with your lower chord voicings. I can almost guarantee that Jack White tone has way more treble than you'd think from the recordings, where a bass guitar provides the low end. If you strike an E major open and it sounds like a big hairy fart, your bass is probably too high and your treble not high enough.

pimpology 101
Aug 6, 2006
Pimpin' ain't easy.
Does anybody have any experience with any of the Build Your Own Clone fuzz pedals? I was thinking about buying a kit and assembling it, might be a fun project. That's actually where I wanna get a Rat from, since their Rat clone is probably the most configurable one around.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

pimpology 101 posted:

Does anybody have any experience with any of the Build Your Own Clone fuzz pedals? I was thinking about buying a kit and assembling it, might be a fun project. That's actually where I wanna get a Rat from, since their Rat clone is probably the most configurable one around.

I did the Rat clone from BYOC and it was pretty straightforward. It's a good little project, and you end up with a great sounding pedal. Plus, if you don't mind spending some time masking stuff off and waiting for layers to dry, you can get some pretty cool paint effects on the enclosure.

Colin Ex Machina
Oct 16, 2004
I adopted a highway.
I bought a Leeds fuzz and it was really easy to put together. It was a regular part of my chain until I bought the mastotron.

Atomic_Amish
Aug 22, 2005
Spitting Cobra With Hepatitis
I don't know if this has already been answered yet, so sorry if it has. I'm not entirely sure where in my chain to put my phaser and flange. I have an MXR phase 100 and EHX flanger hoax, but I'm not sure if those should be going before or after my distortion or what the pros and cons of doing it either way would be. Anyone got any advice?

I could name all the other pedals specifically if that would help. I have a big chain and this is the only part that confuses me.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Add harmonics, then take them away. So put your distortion before your comb filters. Not a hard and fast rule, but a general tip.

Atomic_Amish
Aug 22, 2005
Spitting Cobra With Hepatitis
I'll give that a shot, thanks!

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

the phasey swooshy effect is more dramatic the later in chain it's placed because it's phasing more of the things that go into your amp. It also compresses everything before into its effect, so think about which other parts of your sound you want to be affected by the phaser.

Putting it between every pedal in the chain is still the best way to find out.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
I have no idea where this thread has headed in 18 pages, mainly guitar talk from the looks of the last couple of pages but I wanted to chime in an say I've found my new dream plugin chain for my rehearsal space demos.

SM57>TC Electronic Konnekt 24D (Thx Rivensbitch)>Waves CLA2A (2-3 dB reduction)>URS Saturation (Vocal Tape 30 ips preset)>URS Saturation (Vocal British preset)>Waves L1 (2-3 dB gain reduction)>Waves V4 (Hi pass 200-300 Hz with a boost in the high mids where it sounds nice)

Magic. Sounds like a million dollars. If you can't make this vocal sit well in a mix you probably have fish ears.

If you have the Waves CLA package and want a more aggressive sounding vocal you can replace the LA2A plug with the 1176 plug. I love the CLA package while mixing. It's the only Waves package worth purchasing apart from the L1 and the Renaissance plugs. Well, those and the API/Neve emulations but you really have to couple them with the right saturation plug to get them to sound right.

You can replace the LA2A plug with any opto style compressor, really. There are a million free one's out there. There's also a free limiter plug called W1 that's really excellent that you could use to replace the L1. http://www.yohng.com/w1limit.html

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Atomic_Amish posted:

I don't know if this has already been answered yet, so sorry if it has. I'm not entirely sure where in my chain to put my phaser and flange. I have an MXR phase 100 and EHX flanger hoax, but I'm not sure if those should be going before or after my distortion or what the pros and cons of doing it either way would be. Anyone got any advice?

I could name all the other pedals specifically if that would help. I have a big chain and this is the only part that confuses me.

Generally modulation goes after dirt, but the two big exceptions are univibe and phaser effects, especially Phase 90. I see a lot of people putting those first in their chain. So give it a try.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

bisticles posted:

I did the Rat clone from BYOC and it was pretty straightforward. It's a good little project, and you end up with a great sounding pedal. Plus, if you don't mind spending some time masking stuff off and waiting for layers to dry, you can get some pretty cool paint effects on the enclosure.

Seconded on this. It's a really awesome pedal

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Should I upgrade my Boss GE-7 Equalizer to a MXR 10-band EQ (M-108)? How useful are the additional low (31 and 62Hz) and high (8kHz and 16kHz) sliders? I use a spectrum analyzer VST in Sonar and I noticed my guitar tracks (recorded with a SM57) have almost no signal components above 5kHz.

And is there a (soundwise) difference between these equalizers because their bands are laid out a bit different?
code:
Boss:           100, 200, 400, 800, 1.6k, 3.2k, 6.4k
MXR:   31,  62, 125, 250, 500,  1k,   2k,   4k,   8k,  16k

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
What tuning do you use? 31 and 62Hz are near the low B on a 5 string bass and a 7 string guitar respectively, if you don't tune that low then can only help by cutting out low-frequency noise (but lots of guitar amps, pedals and speakers will do that anyway)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Atomic_Amish posted:

I hate the sound of phaser after distortion, it sounds swooshy and tacky, if you put it before you get this awesome harmonic mush as it distorts.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

the wizards beard posted:

What tuning do you use? 31 and 62Hz are near the low B on a 5 string bass and a 7 string guitar respectively, if you don't tune that low then can only help by cutting out low-frequency noise (but lots of guitar amps, pedals and speakers will do that anyway)

Just standard E or drop D... So I guess I'll keep my GE-7 then.