Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ice Blue posted:

What is this dynamite missile business people keep mentioning?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8CadzHi7ic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.
Awesome. Seems like it'd work easier with Dead Eye level 2. I'm kinda annoyed that level 3 actually ends up being slower since you need to spend more time acquiring your targets even if you get more control. You should have the option of turning it on or off (like if you hold RB it should auto acquire targets).

Also does that work in multiplayer?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've got full honor and I can do whatever I want short of murder without consequence. What is the benefit of having the lowest honor? Is there any benefit for me to become a wandering psychopath?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
You get a scarred-up black horse with a white face (until you get higher honor again). No real 'benefit' really, just a cosmetic reward. Not sure about its stats.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Philip J Fry posted:

You get a scarred-up black horse with a white face (until you get higher honor again). No real 'benefit' really, just a cosmetic reward. Not sure about its stats.

Townspeople won't report minor crimes as well.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

Renoistic posted:

I've got full honor and I can do whatever I want short of murder without consequence. What is the benefit of having the lowest honor? Is there any benefit for me to become a wandering psychopath?
Full honor also gives you access to a piece of equipment that makes enemies miss you more.

Philip J Fry posted:

I believe it's mid ranked for speed. I read that people find it more annoying than useful due to it often replacing the horse you want to be summoning.

aMoose
Nov 26, 2005
He who fucks nuns will later join the church.
I think I witnessed one of the stranger glitches near the end of the game.

The part just before Marston opens the barn door and gets blown away. Just as he was sending his wife and kid off: he slapped the horse's butt, and then moved towards the door. Thing is, as the camera dollied back and the horse ran off, his son was standing by the barn door, as if he were hiding behind it -- so much so that I assumed the twist would be that he had jumped off the horse without his dad knowing, and would feature in his dad's saviour/downfall.

I'm assuming his character model somehow got frozen from its previous position? In any case it really undermined the whole thing. Although to be honest I found the whole story a bit flat.

Did anyone else find Marston's reunion with his family completely underwhelming? not to mention a bit bathetic.

edit - by 'stranger' I mean 'more strange', I'm not actually referring to the stranger missions...

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

aMoose posted:

I think I witnessed one of the stranger glitches near the end of the game.

The part just before Marston opens the barn door and gets blown away. Just as he was sending his wife and kid off: he slapped the horse's butt, and then moved towards the door. Thing is, as the camera dollied back and the horse ran off, his son was standing by the barn door, as if he were hiding behind it -- so much so that I assumed the twist would be that he had jumped off the horse without his dad knowing, and would feature in his dad's saviour/downfall.

That exact thing happened to me, too. I knew it was a glitch though because I could see two Jacks in the cutscene while one of them was on the horse. It did make that bit a bit unintentionally hilarious. It's as though he found a way to clone himself.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

aMoose posted:

Did anyone else find Marston's reunion with his family completely underwhelming? not to mention a bit bathetic.

(THESE ARE SUPER END GAME SPOILERS GUYS) Yeah. The reunion itself was a bit flat, mostly because we'd never seen John's family before and couldn't relate to them in any way. It was actually way more emotional just before that for me when the final mission with Dutch ended and John finally got to go home, I almost broke at that point (the song that started playing didn't help at all). John I already knew and loved the bastard, and him getting to go see his family was like releasing a long tortured man free. I couldn't even stop to hunt some bears and elk, as I had planned to do after the mission. John had to get home.

E: JOESSUS CHRIST I almost hosed it all up, good thing I checked out my post after I posted it. Don't forget the "/" at the end of your spoiler tags, kids!

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 14, 2010

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

MrJacobs posted:

I have yet to get the achievement myself. First time I tried it I grabbed a random woman from a stranger mission, watched the train, and she loving exploded.... and no achievement.

Second time was with some mexican girl but I don't think I saw the train hit her.

I haven't tried to get it again, the train is usually too far away from my lazy rear end and every hooker I try to drag to the train behind my horse ends up dying. And before someone says hogtie her, that is anti-fun when it comes to abusing virtual skanks.

Anything that the train hits pops like a water balloon. As far as I know, to get the achievement, you have to hogtie her, carry her to the tracks and drop her there, and then be nearby when the train pulps her. I did it to a woman who made the mistake of trying to stagecoach-rob me when the train was approaching.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I was a little annoyed at the ending/postgame at first, but after playing for a few hours last night it started to become really depressing. Listening to Jack say things like "Just like you taught me, Pa!" when skinning, "Just trying to make my mama proud" when rescuing a kidnapped woman, and "Sure wish my Pa could be here to see this," started to really be a downer. I actually felt really bad for the poor boy.

I think I'm just a big baby. :smith:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mister Bung posted:

To add to this, I noticed if I'm off my horse in a thunderstorm it gets spooked by the thunder and lightning and occasionally bolts.

I like the horse behavior in general. They really nailed the feeling of riding a living thing. If you ride too close to a cliff the horse freaks out and starts whining in terror, and if you actually try to force it to ride off the cliff (for whatever reason) it does its damnedest to stop you, even if it's a small drop. Sometimes it's reluctant to go down or up steps, and it freaks out at loud noises and wild predator animals (even if you don't see or hear them yet).

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

shadok posted:

Anything that the train hits pops like a water balloon. As far as I know, to get the achievement, you have to hogtie her, carry her to the tracks and drop her there, and then be nearby when the train pulps her. I did it to a woman who made the mistake of trying to stagecoach-rob me when the train was approaching.

You have to witness it happening, so maybe that's the problem you're having. I didn't even realise it was an achievement when I did it, I was just punishing a whore who pretended to be stuck in the wilderness to set me up.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009
My game (360) keeps glitching :( it's happened when I looted a body, when I took a feather, skinned an animal, died, completed a mission. The camera will be stuck in the cutscene position and John will just idle. No buttons work, except for Start, and the rest of the game world keeps on running around him. It's fine again if I just load the game, but drat, it's annoying.

I'm loving it otherwise. :3: I wish more missions were mule friendly though. I didn't abandon the mission, the lil' guy just couldn't keep up!

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Gazmachine posted:

You have to witness it happening, so maybe that's the problem you're having.

I didn't have any problem, I got the achievement first time - I was right there when the train hit her, twirling my mustache.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Eeeexcellent...

Also, just popped on to say that some nun gave me "Obscuridad del Santo Andres", which is a necklace with a cross on it that means enemies have less chance to hit me. Sweet! I just sort of rode the train for a bit and got off at Chuparosa, saw a nun there, she gave me the gift.

THIS.

GAME.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I thought you had to donate to the nuns to get it, but I'm on my second play-through and haven't even made it to Mexico yet and some nun just walked up and gave it to me in Armadillo. It must be honor/fame related.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Philip J Fry posted:

I thought you had to donate to the nuns to get it, but I'm on my second play-through and haven't even made it to Mexico yet and some nun just walked up and gave it to me in Armadillo. It must be honor/fame related.
Yes, it's an object you get when you reach the highest amount of Honor. Well, you're SUPPOSED to get it at that point, but I didn't.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

sirbeefalot posted:

I was a little annoyed at the ending/postgame at first, but after playing for a few hours last night it started to become really depressing. Listening to Jack say things like "Just like you taught me, Pa!" when skinning, "Just trying to make my mama proud" when rescuing a kidnapped woman, and "Sure wish my Pa could be here to see this," started to really be a downer. I actually felt really bad for the poor boy.

Oh god, I never noticed this :smith:

KungfooMF
Feb 21, 2002

A nun gave me two gifts. The first was tied to my honor. The second was her tied to the tracks.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ice Blue posted:

Speaking of scalping, what's with with RDR not having Indians in it? I've not finished it so maybe they come up later but what's a western without indians? Or were they much less prominent in 1910?

Hmm where oh where could all the natives have gone at that point in history hmmmm let me think

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mastiff posted:

Hmm where oh where could all the natives have gone at that point in history hmmmm let me think
Well, despite your sarcasm, they are in the game.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

sirbeefalot posted:

Not only that, at one point I was doing a gang hideout, and Jack yells out to the attacking gang members "Yeah, that's right, I got nothing left to live for!" Which I guess in some context sounds badass until you really think about it...

:(

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Tewratomeh posted:

Not only that, at one point I was doing a gang hideout, and Jack yells out to the attacking gang members "Yeah, that's right, I got nothing left to live for!" Which I guess in some context sounds badass until you really think about it...

:(

I mean, at some points he yells things like "Jack Marston, remember that name!" and "Yeah, I'm John Marston's boy!" in a way that makes it sound really positive, like he's now trying to make a name for himself/carry on the family fame, but the other bits are just major :smith: inducing.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Is there any way to tell exactly what bounties you have left using the Social Club? They're the only thing I have left to complete for 100%, but I have no idea how many I have left in each location.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ArchRanger posted:

Is there any way to tell exactly what bounties you have left using the Social Club? They're the only thing I have left to complete for 100%, but I have no idea how many I have left in each location.
You can look at the in-game stats - Start Menu, Stats, Score. Scroll down to where you see the bounty locations. You should see 8 for New Austin, 8 for Nuevo Paraiso, and 4 for West Elizabeth.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Crows Turn Off posted:

You can look at the in-game stats - Start Menu, Stats, Score. Scroll down to where you see the bounty locations. You should see 8 for New Austin, 8 for Nuevo Paraiso, and 4 for West Elizabeth.

:doh:

I've checked my stats a dozen times trying to find it, I don't know how I managed to overlook that, thanks.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yes, it's an object you get when you reach the highest amount of Honor. Well, you're SUPPOSED to get it at that point, but I didn't.

Did you ever get it? I've been at max honour for a long while now, and I still haven't gotten it

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

As long as a Dystentary is a constant and hilarious threat, it will never be boring to watch as your party scrambles off the wagon to go poo poo their guts out in the grass every 10 minutes.

With euphoria, obviously.

Also I maxed honor and never got the necklace who cares.

Grishka
Jun 4, 2010

With the mic in my hands
I'm a bad man
Even in a fight with the hands
I'm a bad man
Livin in the streets all my life
I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man

sirbeefalot posted:

Well you're not the only one who got depressed at that. My personal favorite though is "My pa knew Landon Ricketts, friend!" its as if Landon Rickett's uber-cowboy mojo came in a spore-like form originating from his mustache, these spores found their way onto John, who immediately became more badass (Dead-eye 2) and then finally found their way to Jack. It's like saying if you're even somewhat of an off hand 'friend of a friend' acquaintance of Landon Ricketts you're immediately much more awesome...

... Which of course is true. :clint:

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Brinstar Brew posted:

Did you ever get it? I've been at max honour for a long while now, and I still haven't gotten it
Nope. A couple of nuns walked up to me, but neither of them offered me anything. One asked for money and one just wanted to say how nice I was.

vvvv

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I got it pretty early in the game in Armadillo. I was playing as a good guy if that helps. Plus it made me realize I should brake for nuns.

Most of the time. Sorry, Sister Esmeralda de Mccantgetoutofthefuckingway.
I should have gotten it in Armadillo, too, I was a good guy the entire time. I just never did.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 14, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

I got it pretty early in the game in Armadillo. I was playing as a good guy if that helps. Plus it made me realize I should brake for nuns.

Most of the time. Sorry, Sister Esmeralda de Mccantgetoutofthefuckingway.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Zvezda posted:

My game (360) keeps glitching :( it's happened when I looted a body, when I took a feather, skinned an animal, died, completed a mission. The camera will be stuck in the cutscene position and John will just idle. No buttons work, except for Start, and the rest of the game world keeps on running around him. It's fine again if I just load the game, but drat, it's annoying.

I'm loving it otherwise. :3: I wish more missions were mule friendly though. I didn't abandon the mission, the lil' guy just couldn't keep up!

Are you wearing the Poncho? I've only had things like that happen while I was wearing that outfit. Either way though, crouch before you skin/loot/pick. It gives you a slightly different animation and I've never had that fail.

Crows Turn Off posted:

I got it at while my honor was 3/4 full like 15% into the game. I think it must just be increasingly more common the more honor you have. Just be aware of your surroundings I guess.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 14, 2010

strong bird
May 12, 2009

If the game ever freezes up when you're skinning/harvesting whatever, if you chill for a while a wolf or something might attack you and that breaks the lock for me. Just don't bug out and reboot right away

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Now I remember what I came here to post.

Did anyone find the late Treasure Hunter missions extremely disappointing? The ones in New Austin were fantastic and for the most part made you search specifically for landmarks seen on the map. Mexico was pretty good as well, the last two just happened to be near incredibly obvious landmarks - you could solve them using your map which was a little disappointing but I can deal.

However the last two treasure locations in West Elizabeth are really disappointing. (Late Treasure Hunter spoilers) I mean they put the first one next to the most recognizable tree in the area which everyone ends up riding past within the first 5 minutes of getting there? The guy in the gunstore even loving says there's treasure up at Broken Tree. I haven't even bothered going to get the last treasure yet because I could tell you exactly where it is 5 seconds after getting the map.

Don't get me wrong I still love the challenges, I just wish they would have made them a lot more difficult so you couldn't complete them all within the first 10 minutes of opening up an area. Although then I guess the kids with ADHD that play this would complain that "IT'S TOO HARD" right before they declare that the game is bad. I guess I can hope we get some sort of treasure map content bundled with some other DLC :unsmith:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
The Wronged Woman stranger mission just provided further support for my John Marston: Not Rocket Scientist theory.

I just had a hilarious bounty hunt out at Aurora Basin where as the gang was running towards me they were mostly getting torn apart by a pack of wolves. The wolves of justice.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Hal Gill username posted:

The Wronged Woman stranger mission just provided further support for my John Marston: Not Rocket Scientist theory.

That one was just kind of dumb all around. I was carrying thousands of dollars at that point. Why did I have to go get $200 from the guy? Here's $500, you skank, if you'll just leave everyone alone.

Where/when does the "California" stranger appear?

Naked Chainsaw
Jul 14, 2004

Walkin' on sunshine

sirbeefalot posted:

Where/when does the "California" stranger appear?

Zoom your map out, and under the first "h" in "Gaptooth Breach" there's a road. Get on that road and follow it west. He's behind a big rock playing harmonica. When I found him it was nighttime, but I've also done parts of his mission during the day so I'm not sure if it matters.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

sirbeefalot posted:

That one was just kind of dumb all around. I was carrying thousands of dollars at that point. Why did I have to go get $200 from the guy? Here's $500, you skank, if you'll just leave everyone alone.

There were a few that were dumb that way, by the time I got to them. Like in Lights Camera Action I could probably just have bought the deed for the guy instead of going through the Liar's Dice rigamarole. Also the nun donation in I Know You was pretty minimal compared to the massive bankroll John was carting around by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
One thing about the game is I wished it would have bank rolled the money in 1910's terms, a penny should be worth something!!! Just move the decimal points over so I feel like a rich man with a 20 in my pocket.

Also in the stranger mission near the end of the game where the woman tricks you into killing that dude she said knocked her up, can you do anything besides kill the guy? I was trying for a disarm, but looks like I couldn't

I wish the game would give you more moral options in quests, but it is nice to see some of the quests simply end with a character building mission. It's nice to have a quest location that just wraps up the story line. But more moral choices are always better.

Also I will never get bored of running into people and knocking them over. My favorite is near the end of the game with your wife standing by the stove, I keep ramming her into, over and on the stove. She just keeps screaming and hooting and once she landed on the stove and was standing on it while cooking dinner

I'm enjoying the end parts of the game. It's nice to see a game handle it this way.

• Locked thread